SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

My favorite room - 2katz4me

3katz4me
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

This is the living room at our lake cabin. I think there are three things about it that make it my favorite - the breathtaking view, the warmth and coziness of all the wood and the collection of eclectic furnishings - old, inexpensive and each item has a story. I've never really been into decorating like some of you - didn't grow up with it and couldn't afford it early on in my adult life. Then by the time I could I didn't have time to deal with it and was kind of established in my thinking that it's not a priority for me. You may be able to tell I'm a minimalist when it comes to stuff on the walls and sitting around. I like clean, clear and clutter free.

When we bought our first lake cabin in 1999 we had to furnish the entire place so anything I bought was inexpensive - including this sofa and coffee table that came from some kind of clearance furniture store. The sofa purchase was inspired by the pillows that I'd found earlier at Pier One. The two wing chairs/ottoman are the first pieces of furniture we bought for our first house - late 80s. The lazy Susan on the coffee table was on our dining room table when I was a kid. Lamp table was purchased with a gift certificate given to me by one of my employers - they knew I'd purchased a cabin and wanted me to buy something for it. My mother made the afghan for my grandma and I have another one just like it on the other wing chair in ivory that she made for me. Wildlife art given to us by good friends when they sold their cabin and moved to Florida. Wicker rocker and adjacent wicker side table purchased on CL along with another side table you can't really see. There's a trunk in the corner that you can't see very well - DH's grandmother brought it from Norway when she immigrated to the US. Two old red wing crocks we bought at an antique store when we were more into buying antique stuff. They used to hold fireplace stuff when we had a wood burner. Probably the nicest thing in the room is the wool rug that I bought new and didn't cheap out on. The little high top table and stools in the last photo were also purchased new.

Comments (36)