SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hijimmylin

Flooring Transition Options Between Hallway and Loft?

hijimmylin
3 years ago

I'm in the process of picking flooring out for a in-construction house and I am having trouble visualizing what to do in one particular area on the 2nd floor. See below diagram for an explanation:

The areas marked with the letter "T" are going to have a wood-like porcelain tile. These are all either bedrooms, bathrooms, closets, etc. The area marked with "C" is the stairway area which I am going to use carpet (I was hoping to use the the same wood-like porcelain tile but my designer wouldn't allow me to do that...I'm guessing installation for that might be a little tough?). The area in the middle marked with "?" is my hallway. The area below also marked with "?" is my loft. The dashed boxed separating the loft and the stairs represents the handrail between the loft and the staircase.

I would like to use the same wood-like porcelain tile in the loft area. My question then is:

1) Would it be weird if the hallway used the same carpet as the stairway? My concern is that since the loft is "open" (and doesn't have a door frame like the other rooms) that the transition between carpet and tile would look a little odd.

or...

2) If I go with the same wood-like tile in the hallway, would it be weird that the only carpet in my house is literally just the stairway?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Comments (5)