SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmis29

Removing Wall Between Kitchen & DR, Flooring Options

mmis29
10 years ago

Hi All! I'm just starting to plan the remodel of our 1980s kitchen in our small 1968 New England style raised ranch. First order of business will be removing two walls between the kitchen and dining room and the kitchen and hallway and staircase. A small L-shaped island is what I have in mind to replace it at this point.

The issue I have is related to space and flooring. The kitchen is pretty tight as is....a poor design choice where the chimney was placed lead to the loss of space that is normally used for the fridge in houses of this style. When we bought the house, the fridge was directly to the right of the stove, and the opening was pretty tight. Only a 33" or less fridge could fit there, and there was not nearly enough counter space. So as a band aid we installed pretty close match cabinets and moved the fridge to its current home, where the two walls being removed meet. In the pic, the fridge is directly behind the two divider walls shown.

With those walls being removed, I have two options. I can either move the fridge back to its old spot, which I don't like, or I can move it into a corner that is technically in the dining room but would be adjacent to the kitchen countertops when the wall is removed (in the pic, the area is to the right of the sliding glass doors. The issue that presents is about flooring. The kitchen floor is going to need to be replaced, and there is no way we can match 1960s hardwood (flows through the entire first floor). We are thinking tile in order to avoid replacing hardwood throughout the whole first floor when we like the floor that is there and it just seems an unnecessary expense.

In order to put the fridge in that new spot, I am thinking we would need to extend the tile all the way through the kitchen and dining room....which would mean we'd need a transition to the living room and hallway which is going to stay hard wood. But, I am open to any and all thoughts and suggestions...I am terrible at this stuff LOL! Thanks in advance!!

This post was edited by mmis29 on Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 15:51

Comments (8)