SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ks0012

Replacing flooring without replacing kitchen cabinets?

ks0012
3 years ago

I’m looking to tear up the five year old engineered wood in our new remodel (it’s scuffed up from renters, dark wood and has an ugly plasticky sheen) and replace with wide plank oak. The company I’m purchasing flooring from makes very thick planks - 13/16” plus 1/8” underlayment, so about an inch thick overall. I unfortunately won’t be able to get into the house for another two weeks to pull up some of the existing floor and see how thick it is, and I want to place the order for the new wood ASAP.

My question is around whether the new wood being thicker will be problematic (my guess is that this new wood will be 1/4 to 1/2” wider but we’ll see). We’re not tearing out our kitchen cabinets so if the floor is thicker aka higher, 1) the counter may become slightly shorter. which doesn’t bother me much 2) the stove may sit too high and no longer flush with the counter, which does bother me 3) the dishwasher may no longer be able to be pulled out for service I worry?

Has anyone with flooring or remodel experience run into this? And if so how did you handle it? Any advice would be so appreciated!

Comments (7)