SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katevanderpool72

How to design a kitchenette backsplash in a challenging design space?

Kate Vanderpool
3 years ago

I'm looking for some advice on how to design a basement kitchenette backsplash within a fairly challenging design space. The kitchenette is built along a long wall. On the left side is the kitchenette, and on the right side will be the big-screen TV mounted on the wall. On the far left side the natural break is a wall. The right side, the challenging side, has no natural break.

The kitchenette will have three floating shelves above for cups/plates/decorative items. This element will be carried over into a matching bar along a brick wall on the other side, and the same wood/stain will be used on a custom table for the built-in banquette seating. This will provide some conformity across the room.

On the opposite long wall of the basement, I added brick veneer to warm up the space. I potentially wanted to carry over that design element to the backsplash (same brick) but am not stuck on the idea. The room has some strong patterns in it already because of the brick wall and the LVT flooring which has an Oak pattern. Therefore, I think I need to minimize the introduction of too many new surfaces or patterns.

Do I:

1. Just do a few inches of brick backsplash

2. Take the backsplash up to the bottom of the first floating shelf

3. Take the backsplash up to the bottom of the second layer of floating shelves

4. Take the brick all the way up the wall - and if so, won't that look weird next to the blank white wall with the TV on it on the right?

5. Find a different backsplash than the brick, and if so, what should I use?

6. Use no backsplash, as the sink won't get used daily in most cases.

7. Other ideas?

I'll add some photos - apologies for the under construction space. I mocked up several ideas and will post some of the ideas above.

This is #1 from above.

Idea #2 above.

Idea #4 above.

Other view of room:

Help! I'd appreciate advice!

Comments (3)