SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
autumn_4_gw

Backsplash 'Rules'/Design Principals for Cohesion

autumn.4
9 years ago

Hi all! Still no reveal and yes still searching for a backsplash.

My main question is: If your perimeter counters are pretty safe and homogeneous but your island is more of a statement stone – do you have to stay ‘safe’ with a solid backsplash or can you actually incorporate a little bit of something and have it work?

My kitchen is open to the dining and living rooms. I have absolute black leathered on top of soft white cabinets on the perimeter and Alaska white granite on the island over gray stained cabinets. I don’t want whitish subway that blends right into the paint of the window trim. I am hoping for something more than nothing but not overpowering or busy if that makes sense. I like tone on tone and subtle coloring or layering of color. I do like something a little different in tile shape – herringbone or maybe hex IF I can get dh on board. He prefers 2x4 brick patterned tile which is fine but I play everything safe and I’m ready to branch out a teeny bit. That said, I found a pretty safe marble that is more consistent in color but I really like Calacatta gold. I have ordered a sample but don’t have it yet. I am hoping to have it Monday.

So is there a concensus or design principal on island counters and back splashes? Do the 2 together matter much at all? I realize that hex and herringbone will likely go in and out of style like everything else but I really like it and always have been drawn to it.

This is what I am thinking of. Is it 'too much' for what I have in my space?

Redesigning Sarah Blog Hex Backsplash Pic

My safe choice?

Against the range (excuse the baking - it's been a never ending winter and that is what I DO to stay sane):

This is my space - older 'just moved in not quite finished pics'. I need to get current pics but it's definitely in a 'lived in' state now.

Leathered Absolute Black - a view from afar.

Alaska White

Dining room adjacent:

Comments (105)

• function_first
    9 years ago

I love your kitchen and your style really resonates with me. I feel your kitchen is just made for subway, though. Some just are. The quote " I ask not for a larger garden, but for finer seeds," comes to mind. I'd go breathtakingly high quality with the subway tile though (see romy's example above) and I'd keep the color within a couple shades of your cabinets-- it just seems so calm right now- the wonderful effect of a monochromatic scheme. I wouldn't do anything busy, not even a little bit busy. To me small scale tile-- even if monochromatic- introduces noise. You seem able to use accents well (like your chevron lampshade) to bring in color and pattern. A classy backsplash that doesn't steal the show is ideal in your open setting. It has the added advantage of letting you easily update your style as your tastes change by swapping out accessories.

• eam44
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think I've got it. Your eye craves the complex. There is one other way to do this tastefully.

It would be ideal if you could call your fabricator and ask him for an Alaska White remnant piece that he could hone down to 1/2" thickness. You could then frame that piece behind the range and surround it with a simple white subway tile. The look would be similar to that in romy's Windham, NH image that you love, while not introducing another stone. You'd just be re-emphasizing the stone on your island.

I have no idea how much a small piece of granite will cost, but white subways, even really nice white subways from Fireclay tile, will come in under budget. The pieces you'll need to frame in the granite should be readily affordable, and the right shade of white will give you a nice contrast with your wall paint without melting into the trim pieces (although you could also go for grey)

• Related Discussions

Principles of Design

Q

Comments (38)
    Timbu: I know and admire the mans work he was a pioneer of ornamental grass usage and also leaving seed heads on plants such as Rudbeckia. Both of these extend the interest of a perennial garden and are so lush that a bare period in the spring when the grasses are cut down is acceptable in my opinion but is still radical to the mainstream. Andrew has brought some very valuable if advanced ideas to this thread, there is a tendency to approach design principles as though they necessarily carry equal weight and are dealt with in order so that simplicity is accomplished and confused when we get to variety. Unity is definitely the biggy but what does it mean exactly? Mike gives us a clue when he says "With so many different plants I have to pay attention to scale to make it work. Work, in this case, means you have to feel comfortable in it because everything looks like it belongs." so, in this case I think the unity is achieved by making "everything look(s) like it belongs", I think a statement like this (yours may be different) should be the reference point that provides the unity and a guide as to how to apply the principles.
    ...See More

Opinions please on stove backsplash choices

Q

Comments (42)
    Hmmm.... I didn't expect the strong backlash to the pebbles. As far as the stove being the star, eh... I'm not really trying to have that be the case. The reason for those cut outs is the view to our little river and really it seems THAT is the star no matter what is in the house. It's hard not to look at water, you know? Maybe as the kitchen is framed up more and IF I can talk DH into a solatube (it's a dark kitchen without that) then at that point I can put the various samples up in the real lighting and make a determination. It's hard to work off the image entirely as the cabinets aren't the right color nor the woodwork. Okay. I'll be bringing this thread back in a new form after we make a bit more progress. Thank you all for weighing in. Even if I haven't gotten it nailed down yet, I feel closer to the final result. One thing though for sure, I really like the tile behind the stove no matter what ultimately surrounds it. So that's a good thing. Here is the view today out the windows fwiw:
    ...See More

Please help me choose my backsplash tile

Q

Comments (33)
    Ok, ok, you mentioned Santa Fe, and my mind immediately went to a mexican tile mosaic that someone here at GW has used in a vertical orientation. This is not at all what you've been looking at, but I just have to show it to you. I love that mosaic, and it could work for you in the horizontal application throughout the kitchen, but it is miles away from what you're drawn to. OK, now that that's out of my system, here's what I think might work for you on the subtler side. The tile below is a mesh mounted mosaic and the sheet measures about 10.5" x 11", so you get an idea of the tile size, very roughly, 3" w x 4" t. The solid color field tile below in the same glaze (light green) is available in square and subway formats in a variety of sizes. I think in order to keep the look cohesive you should either keep the color the same and use a different shape for the special areas, or keep the shape the same and use a harmonizing, deeper color for the special areas. So, you could choose a light green brick subway for your counter area, and a light green ogee mosaic for the special areas. Or, you could use the ogee everywhere, in yellow quartz for the counter areas, and light green for the special spots.
    ...See More

Herringbone backsplash?? center on wall or cut off bottom to sit flat

Q

Comments (56)
    Here is Fireclay Luna Brick, both are the same tile sitting at two different counter locations. It feels "earthy" , it is not a perfect match, but it gives enough contrast for the white cabinets and is light enough to give the space brightness that I want. My concern is the variation between each brick. Fireclays web site's pictures are sometimes misleading. I attached Fireclay's image of Luna installed as a backsplash and it shows a lot of variation from one tile to the next and then the other photo they have looks more consistant in color, confusing. Plus their color looks totally different from my sample. Do you think it will be too busy for my space? That is a good idea to order several more samples of Luna. I do plan to do this myself. My bid came in at over 1,000 for a professional. I probably won't do a herringbone if I use this size of brick.
    ...See More
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

Keep your fireplace surround in mind -- make sure that whatever color you choose compliments that, as well. It seems to be a warmer, more beige-y mix.

I like the tone on tone grey look best also. I feel that the hex tiles (or any small tiles) strike me as too busy even if all white. Love them in a 1920's reminiscent environment where they are the main pattern piece, but not with such a busy block of stone. The large, elongated hex strikes me as much quieter.

I wonder if just a little herringbone -- as a linear accent just above the counters -- would also be too much?

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OP here. Sorry for the MIA over the weekend - it was filled with birthday celebrations and derby car racing...and sunshine. It's been sooooo long. ;)

lavender - Hello! Thank you-you are so sweet. They are still in the running for sure. I am down crackle v. herringbone.........love both for different reasons. Yes a little bit of spunk or my fam would probably say a little bit of SASSY! :D

feisty-I have seen those but I think a solid like that makes me think bathroom. I'd still need some sort of variation and those tiles are not in budget. Thanks for finding some for me!

romy-oh that is nice. I requested 2 more samples today so I could get a feel for the shade changes amongst tiles. I should have them tomorrow.

eam-it's romy's 'big and bright' pic that I was referring to (but they look like they could be glass and I don't like that for my space - I was thinking of the more linear shape)...and romy's own silver crackle...I digress but I love that stuff. The granite on the wall is a bit too much action for me but I'd love to see my Alaska white honed. I know I'd love it. Someone on here has something similar honed and oh me oh my. It's spectacular.

function-yeah I agree that with smaller size=busy to the eye (not to mention MORE GROUT). That is why I liked spartans99's splash - it was a larger herringbone and a marble and I feel like it just gently washes over you but my space is different.

raee-I have thought of trying just a short splash but I do need something behind the range. I haven't yet gently asked dh if he and I could move the outlets there - they are royally in the way of any sort of soothing look. The elongated hex in the pic above looks very sharp. I do like it. The fireplace stone is warm but not a heavy intense warm like the floor.

Edwina-thank you I have always liked gray.

No thoughts on trying to lay the 2x6 pipe smoke in a herringbone? I won't have enough samples to try it but I could make photocopies of it like old bat and try to get a visual of it that way. OR....I could do a 1/3 off set....or 1/2 offset. Okay I need to not get ahead of myself and make a choice already and then determine layout.

I'll post pics of each of the varying shades of gray crackles I have that are in budget and go from there.

Thank you all.

• Lavender Lass
    9 years ago

I like sassy! :)

• romy718
    9 years ago

Autumn- you should check the price in the Encore Bravos line. Silver is one of the colors in Bravo Price is somewhere in the $20's. Call several places because prices vary from dealer to dealer.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

I did mean, do a line of herringbone within a field of solid tiles as an accent stripe -- not a short backsplash. So you get a little of the pattern that you love, but not enough to start a fight with the island.

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have plenty of sass lavender.......probably more than my fair share. :O

romy-really?! I can't hardly believe it. I checked a while back (can't remember which color I asked about) and it was out of this world. I hung my head and said thank you for checking. The place in town that carries it isn't known to be the most reasonable. The next closest dealer is about 3-4 hours north. Maybe I should give them a call.

raee-sorry, yes that makes sense.

So strange but I SWEAR the tile daily tile is identical to the home depot tile. Can you tell which 2 tiles are tile daily? I can't.

I taped them up with painters tape. The pipe smoke definitely matches my paint color closest. The others add more punch.

Comments? Thoughts?

Natural Light:

With the 2x6 pipe smoke:

With lights on:

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A different perspective:

One more:

Okay I'll let you all ponder the finer points of backsplash torture I mean selection...

• romy718
    9 years ago

The Bravo(s) line is their ready ship line & comes in a limited color selection & tile sizes. Silver is one of the colors. A couple of GWer's have gotten it & I'm sure it was under $30 with shipping. i would have ordered from the Bravo line if I had known it existed. There's a thread somewhere discussing pricing. I'll find it. Have you seen the Silver? It is a mix of silvers, taupey tones, with some tiles having rose & blue undertones. It's very difficult to look at one tile & get the full picture of what it will look like. That one sample tile can be one of 4 or 5 that are within the mix.

The Pipe Smoke looks good. It's really so hard to tell with a few tiles, no grout & online pics. I've never really been able to accurately capture the color of my tile.

If Encore is in your budget, I'd be glad to send you a few tiles.

• romy718
    9 years ago

RubyClaire got her Encore Bravo , $22 sq ft. It comes in a 2x6, 2x8 & several other sizes.

• User
    9 years ago

Do you think your hood might disappear against the silver tiles? Maybe those are better with wood hoods. Or go very light.

• romy718
    9 years ago

may_flowers, I was hoping you might pop in somewhere. Why can't I see color undertones? We need your color wisdom on Andrea Leek's thread.

If you have access to BM paint chips, would you look at LaPaloma 1551. That is the color of my kitchen, FR, etc. I'd love to know the undertone. My guess is green.

Autumn-sorry to hijack your thread.

• User
    9 years ago

Romy, no BM paint deck, but online it does look green. Fun_colors has been on the Home Decor forum a lot since our move to Houzz, so maybe you can get her attention.

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the link romy, I am going to call tomorrow and see what they say. $22 is definitely doable. No worries on a 'hi-jack'. It's all about getting help and sharing info. :)

may-what do you mean by 'or go very light'. I should go very light or the silver may disappear or look very light in comparison? I think the DH/Tile Daily tiles are more of a 'cool' gray whereas the pipe smoke is a warmer gray. I hope to have my other pipe smoke samples tomorrow to see what variation I can off of 3 tiles vs. 1.

• User
    9 years ago

Yes, light gray. The pipe smoke doesn't have much contrast with the hood.

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Any thoughts about this look? I just found it on houzz. It's a gray tile with contrasting grout.

Kitchen · More Info

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I normally do not like contrasting grout at all, I try to make it blend because I feel like otherwise the grout stands out but in the pic above I am smitten with it defining the tiles. I really like how it draws your eye (or at least mine) to it.

romy-in that pipe smoke pic from Al Cabone's thread the tile looks like it has some variation. My samples look pretty consistent, wonder if it's the lighting. Either way I do like it.

may-do you think this is enough of a contrast? The pipe smoke in triplicate (all in natural light):

On my island counter:

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Ooh I love those last tiles against your countertop!

autumn.4 thanked oldbat2be
  • romy718
    9 years ago

I love it too!

Editing to add I am referring to the 3 grey tiles. As far as the grout, once you decide on a tile, you can experiment with different grouts & make a tile board(s) to help you make that decision. Oldbat is the master at that also.

• jdez
    9 years ago

Oldbat2be could do a much better job I'm sure but I gave it a shot with the pipe smoke.

autumn.4 thanked jdez
  • romy718
    9 years ago

http://www.walkerzanger.com/library/pdf/products/GramercyPark.pdf

Looking at the WZ info on the Gramercy Park line, it looks like you will get some variation. When I received my tile, I didn't see all the varying shades until I had multiple boxes unpacked.

I didn't notice the one 2x8 WZ tile in the pics you posted yesterday. I just saw the bigger, darker grey tiles. I really like the WZ.

• User
    9 years ago

In triplicate in the shadow of the hood, it's a bit blendy. But I like it as seen on the counter and in the photo above it. I like the idea of keeping that wall light and airy to go with the windows and chimney hood.

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks ladies! So far it's the winner. Still debating on layout and I did find another tile that looks close (on my monitor) but at a better price point so I have to check it out. Not sure how long it will take to get that sample. I did get a Sonoma sample today that I ordered so long ago that I forgot about it. Oh my, it's lovely but way over budget so I shouldn't have ordered it. :D

jdez-thanks for the photoshop! I am visual so it helps so much, I really appreciate it. I like the 'skinnier' size of the 2x6.

• rebunky
    9 years ago

I really like that last mock up with the pipe smoke. It does go a little darker IRL under the hood shadow, but I don't think it looks bad at all. The slight shade variation is so perfect with your island granite. I like the size too. I really like how serene your kitchen feels. When you are in the mood for a little pop of color, you can put anything and it will look fabulous!

autumn.4 thanked rebunky
  • autumn.4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

rebunky-thank you for your kind words. I have to say when I first saw it all together with my counter tops on I was stunned and couldn't believe it was my kitchen. It does have a nice calm pallet and I think with this very last decision I'm a little scared of screwing it up!

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    9 years ago

I love the WZ pipe smoke and just ordered it for my backsplash. The bad news is that it's so popular it's out of stock--backordered until May or June

:(

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Diana-thanks for the info-it is a very pretty tile and matches my space well. Thankfully since my tile job is a DIY and we have plenty of other things going on like putting in landscaping and planting grass I am not on a time crunch for completion. ;) I hope to get to it by the end of summer.

Post pictures when you are done so I can ohh and ahh them before I get started myself. :)

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Just stopping in.

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

mags-did you make a choice? I returned my HD sample box today. Just the wrong tone but it's a really nice tile.

romy-would you believe it?! I called today and the local place that carries Encore gave me a price of $2.69/sf for the 2x6 - Bravo line in silver. I know you can't believe it and neither did I. I said are you SURE it's not per piece? No no, no it's per sf. I hung up and called the same place different branch and got $2.88/EACH. Mmmhmm, that's what I thought. So it's running around $30/sf plus freight. Later this afternoon I received a call from store #1, oh my we are so sorry we have made a mistake. Um, yeah. At that price I'd buy it all up and cover my house with it. Haha.

I did get a couple other samples in - too brown and too dark like charcoal.

So for now - I am hanging with the pipe smoke. I have one more last one (to quote my youngest when he was 3) from Complete Tile.

That should arrive tomorrow. Better price point but color is the name of the game thus far.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Seeing those Pipe Smoke tiles on your countertop & against your cabinets & hood, I think it is perfect!

autumn.4 thanked romy718
  • eam44
    9 years ago

Yay for you! You've come a long way from your original post, and chosen a tile that looks a lot like my original response! You sound confident about the direction you're going now, happy with your candidate tiles, and in response to your post title, you are well within the design rules for a harmonious bs. The price point sounds correct too - the Fireclay tile in Foggy Morning runs $32/sf in a 2" x 6" tile, so you're in the right neighborhood.

Remember if you're Chosing a crackle tile, you have to seal it. Some companies use a temporary sealer that lasts through grouting, but many companies require that you seal the tile before installation. Check with your manufacturer.

Have you thought more about the outlets? This is a Bocci outlet installed in a marble bs. They have light switches as well.

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

eam-I have some porous plus and regular miracle 511 in the house so I was planning on sealing - probably TWICE just to make sure. I don't need grout invading my crackles! Thank you for the reminder, I appreciate your thoughtfulness. The foggy morning looked very nice too. I deliberately avoided ordering up a sample of anything in the $30 range and above since most likely I'd LOVE it and then I'd be bummed that I couldn't have it, lol. The Encore place only had one sample of silver and after I called said they were going to order more to show the color range because it's such a beautiful tile and if I wanted to stop by to see it do so any time. That was said after we hashed out the unit of measure pricing snafu. Ummm, no, thank you for the offer. I know better than that. Ugh!

Regarding the outlets. Oh I've thought about them all right. I did broach the subject with the hubby and he looked at me like I had 3 eye balls. I heard, spray foam and blown in cellulose and you must be crazy - or something like that. To which I replied, oh okay you can think about it, no need to make any rash decisions. Insert incredulous look from my dear man. And then just to be sure I understood him I got - I'm not doing it and we aren't paying anyone to do it. Alrighty then, I think I am catching your drift, lol. I am stuck with them as is. :( But that was just re-wiring. I haven't seen those Bocci ones that you posted, I will research them and see once. That maybe is a possibility if they aren't budget busters.

My 'one more last one samples' came in today. One was completely off
    color and the other could work but it doesn't have the depth of color
    the pipe smoke does and it doesn't come in 2x6 which I have taken a
    fancy too. But they are more matte which makes them kind of different and I did like that aspect. So.........I think I've finally made a DECISION-Pipe Smoke it is! Woot woot!
    Okay so what it's the 3rd 'this is it'. Third time is the charm. I'm
    sticking with it! It's crackle which I have been admiring for some
    time, it's in my budget and it works in my space. Done.

BUT wait - you aren't rid of me yet - now I am wondering on layout. It does have a liner available.

I am contemplating 3 choices:

1. 2x6 in herringbone everywhere...because I do still like herringbone.
    2. 2x6 brick with herringbone behind the range only (maybe that would draw your eyes away from the outlets?). Or maybe oldbat will pay me a visit with her decopage magic? I know she has snow around her parts, maybe she lives really close by. ;)

3) 2x6 standard brick layout

Any opinions on those options? Thank you all for your support - even when it meant shooting down my wants that didn't work.

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh and for the record I find it interesting that I am drawn to more monochromatic tiles but my favorite of what OB2B photo-shopped was the dark hex. Go figure. I think it pulled from my island stain well. Anyhow - I am not waffling on my choice. I just realized I never commented on that. It is striking in a good way. Thanks OB2B.

• jdez
    9 years ago

I love your tile choice. I was looking at the liner choices on the WZ website. If you used a liner for a herringbone detail behind the stove, would you use the stick liner for simplicity or something with more detail?

• User
    9 years ago

It might be nice to have some pattern on that wall. It is a bit rectangular, and you won't have window coverings or room for many counter accessories that everyone recommends to bring interest. There's so little wall space that I'd tile the whole thing the same.

• romy718
    9 years ago

I'd tile it all the same too-a cleaner look. I'm not discouraging you from the Bocci outlets (those are awesome) or OB2B's decoupaging, but I was able to find Decora/Lutron outlets covers that blended in with the tile. A container of utensils on one side, a tea kettle (to distract) on the other side & those outlets will disappear.

I like both of your inspiration pics, the herringbone & the brick pattern, so I'm no help there.

Edit: it would be really fun if you do the photocopying & photoshopping of sample boards of the two patterns & we can all vote.

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

eam-those Bocci outlets are too cool for my pocket book. ;) I will have to get crafty with the decopage like OB2B or I am going to check the decora and see if they have something that would blend with pipe smoke.

jdez-Thank you. I'd probably go with the more plain one to keep it less fussy. They do have several though and some of them are pretty ornate but I'm a low key kinda girl. ;)

may and romy-thanks for weighing in. I'm going to place my order and then do just that - a sample board for a better visual! A picture definitely helps me a ton and I'd love to post a vote thread. :) Now to be patient for the tile to arrive.......

edit: romy thanks for the decora tidbit.

Besides being an eye sore I do think if they were placed elsewhere they'd get more use. I don't use the one on the left at all. They are too close to the stove for electronics charging so those things are plugged into the outlet that is once removed and that is the one I'd like to use for the crock pot. Doh. Annoying as it is the kitchen after all...... I guess if that is all I have to complain about I'm doing pretty good.

• eam44
    9 years ago

Your husband is doing the install. Have pity on him. Herringbone is tough, takes longer, will cost you more tile as there is more wastage. That said, price out a pro install if you want the herringbone. You're already over budget in tile at this point. May as well get it right.

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

eam - I am actually going to install because I know it will be a PITA.......and you are scaring me. I was thinking about drawing it out actually on the wall and then going for it. It's not my first tile job but I have mostly done large format floors and I did do above our shower alcove.

Is it really that hard to get it to look good? I have seen a few DIY blogs......but I don't want to have false confidence and go for it and ruin all that good tile either.

edit: What I am most worried about is the teeny area between the window trim and that cabinet down to the counter and butting up to the hood. That is also what made me think of doing it just behind the range so I could avoid those areas with the complex herringbone. However, I thought if I took some time off and really took my time and was blessed with immeasurable patience for those days that I could do it. Maybe not though.

• rebunky
    9 years ago

Autumn, I think both of your options would look great!

Did you see this reveal thread by toddimt where he did a herringbone framed bs area? (I have never posted a link so hope this works) http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2932005/kitchen-house-reveal-diy-with-scherrs-rta-better-late-then-never?n=55

He graciously posted step by step instructions with pictures on how he accomplished this. I loved it! My DH said he would probably do it a little different with ours. (something about tiling the board first flat, leaving out a few tiles where he'd screw it to wall?) I will let him figure that out. :) I just thought you might like to check it out. Todd did such a great job explaining it so that someone DIYing could easily follow the process.

Your awesome that you can tile girl! I definately understand how herringbone would be harder then a brick pattern. Do you think it is only due to the extra care it takes to plan it out and the extra cuts? I'm just wondering if there is something else in particular about installing this pattern that makes it advisable to only use a professional if you want it to look right? I know you want your gorgeous tile to be perfect, so that's why I would want to know the potential problems.

But in my uninformed mind anyways, I don't see why you couldn't do a great job if you take it super-duper slow. I think Todd said it took him like 3 weeks! However, I think it was those little glass mosaic tiles that were the lil' buggah's on his project.

autumn.4 thanked rebunky
  • happyallison
    9 years ago

Autumn I really think your kitchen is beautiful, and I agree the pipe smoke seems to be a clear winner. I think the herringbone would look really good, I think I would do it just behind the range.

autumn.4 thanked happyallison
  • oldbat2be
    9 years ago

EAM - I love that outlet! Was all excited about a visit to autumn but then realized we are more than a state or two away.

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OB2B you know it would be fun to get crazy with a copy machine and decopage. Hahaha.

rebunky - thanks for the link, I will certainly check it out. If I take my time I *think* I could do it. DH would be my tile cutter since I am the OCD one and would want to go slower laying them than he could handle. :O 3 weeks-oh boy. I don't know if I have THAT much patience but I could see it taking a good long couple of uninterrupted days. I have about 38 sf to do. I wonder if it's getting the angle right and keeping it tight so you don't all of a sudden have a sag in the design. I am going to read up as much as possible and besides the pipe smoke board for grout testing I might buy some cheap tiles to practice with first. :D

happyallison-thank you. Try as I might the pipe smoke is actually the least expensive option I have found that works. It's the perfect shade of greige for my island stone and cabinets. I will do a mock up and see how it looks both ways. :)

I have to say, the short L of the kitchen that I see mostly from the dining room and the island seat that I sit at most would look pretty cool in herringbone. That's where I'm sitting now and I think it would be a nice piece of art work for me to look at while surfing gardenweb.

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

Autumn, love your kitchen, the pipe smoke, and the neat vetting process. It's so nice to have such expert help through these difficult decisions! I find backsplash and pendants the hardest!

Can't wait to follow your install. I don't know if I've missed it in one of your posts, but could you share your paint color?

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you bbtrix. Not sure I have ever shared on kitchens, most of my recent time has been spent on the building a home site. It's Ben Moore Seattle Mist 1535.

It was try #2 for paint color but we do really like it. I have it throughout the garage entry, foyer, living, dining and kitchen and stairwells.

Install will be slooowww with baseball starting and a few outside projects with more strict deadlines but I will be sure to post back. I hope to order the tile in April and receive it in May? Then I can get underway! This forum is so helpful. :)

• lgronke
    7 years ago

I would be interested to see pictures of your beautiful kitchen with the backsplash installed.

autumn.4 thanked lgronke
  • eam44
    7 years ago

Look here.

autumn.4 thanked eam44
  • autumn.4
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks eam. :)

Sorry for the delay - I'd like to say I'm busy traveling for spring break but that's not it. I'm still in soggy gray Michigan waiting for the snow to arrive on Friday while I swear the rest of the state has left and headed south. Somebody has to hold down the fort, lol!

Igronke-thank you for your kind words. eam linked you to my backsplash install. I had so much help here. I never did do a formal reveal but there are pictures floating around on here throughout the process. I felt like it took me so long to finish a 'new build' kitchen that it was too late for a new kitchen reveal. We broke ground in September 2013 and I did the backsplash 2 years later! Yikes. If you have any questions let me know. Happy to help wherever I can.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations