SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pitterpatter94

Herringbone backsplash?? center on wall or cut off bottom to sit flat

pitterpatter94
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi,

We finished our house about 2 years ago and have just received our backsplash tile that we are going to attempt to install. It is a marble, herringbone patterned mosaic that will have the pattern pointing to the right, NOT the "M" pattern shown on some pictures below. We have never done this before. I have read a few tips on how to do this and will list below but have a few questions for gardenweb.

1). I can't figure out the placement of the first mosaic tile square.

* Should the square be centered on the wall, requiring cutting small pieces be installed on the top and bottom of the mosaic square?

* Or, do I cut off the pointed edges of the first row of mosaic squares so they will rest flat on the counter and then work up installing tiles?

2). Last question, this "special order tile " (not returnable) looks a little lighter then the sample I had. The granite, Alaska White, has a softer white and the tile is a brighter white like the cabinets. What color of grout do you think would look best? Taupe?? I want to pull the granite, cabinets & backsplash together. I know undercabinet lighting, that we do not have yet, probably will play a factor in coloring

3). Do I rent a wet saw for this job? It is marble but small pieces? If not, what do I use for cutting?

Tips I have read:

>Begin tileing from the center of the wall so the ends of the wall have the same size of cut ends

>I will be laying down cardboard over the counters, plastic on cabinets, and drop cloth down on floor

>A straight level line should be marked on the wall horizontally & vertically to line my tiles up against

Thank You!!

So you can have a look at the space:

Comments (56)