SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
m111675

Herringbone tile kitchen backsplash - bullnose or schluter trim?

m111675
4 years ago

I am planning on herringbone tile for my kitchen backsplash. For the trim/end pieces, I'm thinking of either bullnose or schluter trim. Photos of either/both with a herringbone tile backsplash? Also I'm considering an arched tile for the herringbone tile, possibly using this tile in a herringbone pattern:

https://sonomatilemakers.com/product/stellar-2x4-arch/

With this arched tile, what end piece/trim to use? Might it look better to stick with a flat tile for the herringbone pattern rather than arched with the end piece/trim? Look forward to feedback on this. Thanks so much!

Comments (46)

• User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Herringbone is way overdone, and doesn’t suit most home designs. Be sure that it fits your house. Because it’s going to be the skinny glass and stone stick tile that was popular around 2008, and that people are looking back on in horror in 2020.

Most tile these days does not come with matching bullnose. Because it’s bulky and awkward with the newer modern aesthetic. Which is why Schluter is popular. Another option is a pencil trim. Schluter is better.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    4 years ago

I don't think that Sonoma tile will work well in a herringbone pattern because it has a dimensional quality to it. It's meant to give the appearance of a basketweave, and that quality will be lost if you set it differently.

A herringbone pattern made with subway tile has a vintage look to it. I'd go with bullnose edges to finish off the ends, or I'd get quarter-rounds to trim it out. Shluter edges will make the tile go in a more modern direction, IMO. If that's what you're after, great. But if not, use the suggestions above.

• Related Discussions

Backsplash tile bullnose/pencil trim advice

Q

Comments (16)
    Well anything is better than what we have. They’re old floral tiles lol. We’re doing blue pearl granite countertops. We have ugly laminate yellow right now. Eh trends come and go, but I really like the look. It’s also One of the only backsplash tiles my boyfriend agreed to I do like the stainless steel tile. We’re using a pro so I’m assuming they know that it has to be installed before the backsplash? I’ll bring it up I guess just in case? Hoping I can find something slightly less expensive since we have a budget.
    ...See More

How is this tile backsplash finished? No bullnose or Schluter trim.

Q

Comments (4)
    We did this. Glazed edges. Possible with custom tiles. You can ask for one glazed side, two sides, four sides if you want to ..but slight price difference with each glazed edge added)) I do have pics of the kitchen and maybe even closeup of tiles, but not of edges...I don't thik so. Maybe I'll check later Good that you ask ahead of a time-we were totally unprepared..)) "So how you're going to finish the backsplash?" and we were, like, "huh?" ran and ordered those glazed edge tiles..
    ...See More

Where to end kitchen backsplash on window with bullnose corner?

Q

Comments (11)
    That IS a little awkward. I'd look for very small molding trim pieces, paintable to match cabinets and sill, to go on that edge from the sill around the corner into the cabinet. Something like a L in profile that could cover the edges. If you have the chance to get it redone, have it end a few inches away from the window (like as far as the stool comes out to the side) and use a Schluter type of edging. At least caulk the edges with paintable caulk and ignore it. The big picture looks good! It'll only bother you when you're at the sink. :)
    ...See More

PVS vs Aluminum Schluter Edging for outdoor backsplash

Q

Comments (2)
    I would sya PVC aluminum has issues outdoors and especailly near salt water just in case.
    ...See More
  • m111675
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sabrina - If you click on the photos of the arched Sonoma 2x4 tile on the webpage I provided, it shows that tile in a herringbone pattern. It looks good in my opinion. If a subway or arched tile is placed in a herringbone pattern, would a bullnose go vertically? I doubt the arched tile comes with a bullnose. Thanks!

• m111675
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Any photos of a herringbone tile kitchen backsplash with tile trim (not Schluter)? I agree Schluter would look more modern. Thanks!

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    4 years ago

@m111675, I saw that and I'm not a fan, actually. If you do dimensional tile vertically as shown, you'll have to use a trim piece because you won't have a straight edge to use bullnose tile.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

That tile will not work in a herringbone pattern at all IMO and I agree herringbone is the pattern of the moment and hard to do properly .

• m111675
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I appreciate your feedback. Why do you think this arched tile won’t work well in a herringbone pattern?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Because it is arched and not flat and IMO will be PITA to install even in a simple pattern it has texture, love the texture don’t go to a texture and a difficult pattern IMO a kichen bcksplash should also be easy to clean and and any texture makes that more difficult.I assume this is the picture you are referring to that is not herringbone that is basket weave and that is what that tile is for and I repeat how will you clean it when spaghetti sauce hits it. Also you will need to have trim pieces made for that tile IMO.

• User
    4 years ago

I would never do that tile in a herringbone. It’s too textural. Any layout using it should be simple, to allow that tile texture to be the star. Herringbone is used with a very simple non textural tile, as the pattern provides the texture.

Plus the double labor herringbone pattern upcharge, and the handmade tile irregular tile size upcharge, would have a tile professional that could actually do this well be in the $3500+ range without any materials. In a 200K kitchen, that’s likely doable with no thought. In an average 65K kitchen? It’s a little less doable.

• m111675
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone. Yes that photo shows the herringbone I am referring to. I would get it in white glossy tile, not with a pattern or texture on it. Just thought it would look pretty and the arches would add dimension and texture to otherwise mostly flat surfaces (like cabinet fronts) in a kitchen. But maybe it is a bad idea.

• eam44
    4 years ago

You’re asking whether to use a Schluter edge or a bullnose trim. What is the style of your space and how many edges will it have?

• m111675
    Original Author
    4 years ago

transitional style. i think two edges - one on end of each where it ends

• Sonja Thompson
    4 years ago

I have very small marble herringbone for my backsplash, this is how it was finished off.

• eam44
    4 years ago

Transitional with two open ends - I’d go with a Schluter edge, but you have to check with your installer if you choose a dimensional tile. It might require a trim piece. I’d be surprised if it didn’t.

May we know what your counter material will be, or could you post an image?

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    4 years ago

I really like that arched tile and even in the herringbone. You better have a damn good tiler and be prepared for xtra $$ in labor and material ( more waste ) . Due to the dimensional change in that I don't know if a simple Schluter would work. Whatever you choose has to be as high as the thickest part of that tile but finished on both sides since it will be very visible where the tile is thinner. I would go with a pencil

• Ephma
    4 years ago

Schluter is difficult with dimensional tile. We did it, but it’s not perfect (though this spot was our only edge and in my mind was the best outcome for my preferences). You’ll just need to give some thought to how thick each tile will be at the cut edge.

• m111675
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the photos- so helpful to see! Seems like the questions are: (1) whether arched herringbone, and (2) edging for arched or not arched herringbone. As for whether arched, I understand comments on clean ability, but just like the texture. Seems the cost and whether edging would work well might prevent me from doing the arched. As for regular flat herringbone, might lean towards pencil or some other tile edging, if possible, rather than Schluter for the kitchen where transitional but maybe more on the traditional side of transitional. Unfortunately I don’t have photos of the space to share. Thanks!

• PRO
    myricarchitect
    4 years ago

I would only use a patterned tile like herringbone in a place that did not need to have an exposed edge showing anywhere (from an inner corner to an inner corner, or the back wall of an alcove etc).

Like this example but with both ends finished with either a wall or cabinet as stopping point.

• m111675
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes I wish I could just do the herrringbone tile when ends at a wall but unfortunately in my kitchen, it does not, and I really like herringbone for a kitchen backsplash. On the topic of herringbone, what size herringbone tile would work well for a kitchen backsplash? 18 inches tall under cabinet space. I don’t want 3x6 here in a herringbone pattern because seems a bit stocky and don’t want really small. Maybe 3x9 or 2x4 (if arched) or 3x8? Photos of different sizes of tile in herringbone pattern in kitchen backsplash? Thank you!!!

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    4 years ago

It was asked above what your counters will be. If you are planning the herringbone, your counters need to be simple.

I think the arched tile is pretty. You can't live with it in the running bond layout?

• m111675
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The kitchen counters will be solid white quartz - a bright white with minimal dots and no veining. How do you think that would work with an arched or nonarched herringbone tile? I don‘t care as much for the arched tile in the running bond layout - it is ok but very horizontal, and seems nicer to have a vertical herringbone pattern for the arched tile for a basketweave. I like the texture but for some reason prefer the herringbone over the running bond for this tile. For a running bond for a backsplash, I would prefer 3x6 flat subway tile. Just thought this arched version adds more visual interest, especially with a plain white counter. I am envisioning seeing a basketweave china pattern in herringbone as the backsplash. But now I am

worried too expensive and may be too hard with the trim so instead may just do a flat tile herringbone backsplash. But with white grout which is what I would use may be too flat/boring?

• Kari Nielsen
    4 years ago

What did you end up doing? Can you post photo?

• J Inhof
    4 years ago

Yes, what did you finally decide? Pics?

• HU-123886733
    4 years ago

I came here for the info on edging out herringbone. I love the pattern and instead of putting it on the floor (more expensive to change later) I’m using it for backsplash. I disagree that it’s a fad. It’s a looooong time used pattern that has currently returned in popularity. Might be overused but it’s still a historical pattern. I am using a glazed porcelain, with a hand made look, and alternating glossy and matte. It is difficult and there are a lot of cuts and waste. But I love it. this isn‘t finished or grouted yet, but the below photo is the look I’m going for. The glossy/matte only shows when my under cabinet lighting is off. You can’t tell when the lighting is on, so that’s a lot of work that I don’t think will bring as much “reward” but I’ve already started it. I just have to pay attention to the ”coming down/going up” line up when dry fitting.

I have a blank wall over my sink that goes to the ceiling between my two upper cabinets on each sink side. And the ceiling is vaulted so it meets the wall at an angle. I am planning on just being super straight with the cuts and ending it in a line. And then grout/caulk carefully.

• Kari Nielsen
    4 years ago

Beautiful! I love it! Here is what I did for my backsplash, it was a large format tile but in a chevron pattern and took it up around the window. Turned out great.

• Kari Nielsen
    4 years ago

Oooos! That is the before photo I will post the “after” photo with the tile, shortly....

• tropitango
    4 years ago

My last house had a large window like that and I loved it. So much better to wash dishes when you can look at something other than a "wall." When we build our next house (which should be our forever home-we've moved a lot, so I am making my "want list" from all of the houses we've lived in,) having a large window over the sink is on my want list. I love the chevron pattern also. It was a hard call but I chose herringbone as it is just slightly above my chevron pattern in my like list. And....chevron tiles are typically a mosaic, ($$$) and the herringbone can be done with any rectangled tile ($) and since I am doing this as a first-time-DIY-tiler, if I messed up, I didn't want to have to shell out more to have it fixed. I have 40 sq ft. of tiled space, and I ordered extra tile due to a learning curve, and my tile cost was just at $450. (But I bought a nice wet saw so my over all would be the cost of tile plus a tile guy) however I know the cost would be a higher labor cost due to my pattern. And the alternating thing is a pain in the backside. You wouldn't think it would be that big of a deal but you have to follow the up/down (going off the top of the tile or going off the bottom of the tile) and it is so easy to get off sequence. I saw it here on Houzz and loved the look.

• Kari Nielsen
    4 years ago

Yes I absolutely love the chevron look and was so surprised to hear some say it was “dated” - absolutely NOT, but to each his/her own! That’s what is great about this site, lots of opinions and diversity weighing in from across the country. I’m in Sausalito and this is the photo of my tile - I still have to figure out a window treatment so have this paper shade up. The challenge is with the chevron, I don’t want a horizontal blind, and think I will opt for a pull down mesh shade.

• Kari Nielsen
    4 years ago

Lighting isn’t great but hope you can see the tile. 😀

• tropitango
    4 years ago

I'll see if I can find a photo of my old kitchen window shade. Just the "mechanics" of it. I would do something like it but a lighter tone. You don't want to take away from your tile like you said.

• tropitango
    4 years ago

I had a really wide window area, and the sun would be right in your eyes at a brief time, so it needed something. And for privacy. This has a striped tone on tone pattern, but if could find a fabric without a stripe like this. Just something light in color, to do the job but not stand out, I think it would look great. These weren't expensive. I'll have to think of where I got them from.

• Kari Nielsen
    4 years ago

Wonderful, yes a Roman type shade. Or I’m thinking a Depot game down mesh shade with a simple brushed buckle pull. I think I should start a new discussion topic for this!! All the best on your herringbone, post a photo when it’s done. So far looks really terrific and I love your cabinets too!

• ajracine
    3 years ago

Probably a silly question... I too am doing a herringbone pattern backsplash. Could a sheet of the tile be taken apart and those extra 2"x4" pieces be used as bullnose or end trim? I've got two spots that will have an open end and not butt up to a wall or cabinet.

• eam44
    3 years ago

Bullnose means the edge has been rounded and glazed. Your scrap pieces will be neither, right? If the tile doesn’t come in a bullnose or a glazed end, and has no trim pieces, you’ll have to consider a Schluter edge.

Bullnose:

Glazed end:

Quarter round trim:

Schluter edge:

• Kari Nielsen
    3 years ago

The Schluter edge will look great! I did Schluter in my bathroom and kitchen and turned out fine - less bulky and more invisible which is what I was after. Good luck!

• tropitango
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

(Disregard this comment as I was thinking something entirely different when I replied!)

ajracine, I have had tile guys "bullnose" tile that wasn't bullnosed, but it was large pieces of tile. Not a mosaic on a mesh. I had 20x20 tile, and the bull nosed pieces were just 12". I didn't want that look, so one guys spent all day every day, honing down the edge of my big tiles to get a bullnosed edge. It only works with full color body tile. But with a mosaic, I don't think it will be possible. It might could, but it would be very difficult. I think a schluter edge would be best. They look nice and clean. Or if you could get a thin pencil style liner tile that matches your mosaic, that would work also.

• tropitango
    3 years ago

ajracine, after I thought about your question, are you saying to take the 2"x4" inch (that is on a 45 degree with the herringbone) but run them in a straight pattern along the edge to line it? That would work. You might sacrifice a sheet to see how it will look to you. As long as you are okay with a 2" wide line of tile running vertical. Those would not need to be "polished off/bull nosed" like I was talking about. In my earlier reply, I was envisioning "rounding off" the cut edge of your mosiac. Sorry about that. I think I now understand. I think I would still go with a shluter edge or a thin pencil liner tile (if it blended well with your mosaic herringbone.) The reason I say that is the border you would created with the 2x4 tiles will pull your eye to the trim line/herringbone joint line, and take away from your pretty herringbone pattern. (or that is what my mind is seeing.)

• J Inhof
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

We used a schleuter finish on our chevron installation. And it isn’t very visible in the pic but each tile has a finely ‘slashed‘ effect on the surface for a little texture. We used a four inch strip of quartzite along the bottom in part for outlets, but also because it gave the wall a finished look—the tile goes to the ceiling and without the band the wall look awfully talI. I know many designers here call this effect a big negative, but I like the look—I liken it to having cuffs on a well-tailored pair of slacks. It took the tile setter quite a while to make the install.

• tropitango
    3 years ago

J Inhof, that looks very nice. I think the bottom band grounds it well. Nicely done!

• Krista Riddley
    3 years ago

@HU-123886733 What size are your backsplash tiles?

• tropitango
    3 years ago

Krista Riddley, it is 2 1/4 by 9 3/4. Concerto Pearl Glossy and Concerto Pearl Matte. Interesting. I have a name "tropitango" and the HU-123886733. Didnt realize I had two profiles.

• Terra C
    3 years ago

We had our installer cut the edge of our bullnose trim pieces as thin as possible and I love the way it turned out. I couldn’t find any examples of what I liked and this thread kept coming up in my searches so hoping this helps

someone in the future!

• Tammy Poole
    3 years ago

That does look very nice.

• 101newkitchen101
    2 years ago

@J Inhof

So pretty!!!! Is that gray or white grout that you used?! Love it!

Looks

• J Inhof
    2 years ago

101newkitchen, The grout is a light taupe to tie the tile in with the taj mahal quartzite. Thank you!