SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Longest curtain rod length that does not need a central support?

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I have heavy, lined drapes that cover a sliding patio door. I like the drapes, which are pinch pleats, were custom made and match those on 4 other windows. The drapes go all in one direction. They are not split in the middle.

So far we have broken 4 traverse rods. The last ones special ordered from a drapery company. The mechanism breaks quickly if they are more than a certain length.

EDIT: the patio door is 6 feet wide. There is space on one side where I can push the drapes when they are fully open: so 7 feet would be an ideal width for the rod.

I've had enough of traverse rods. We've been pulling the drapes across by hand, but that's a chore because they are constantly getting stuck.

I would like to install a substantial rod and alter the curtains (I can sew). I could do a tab back header or something.

But how long can a heavy weight rod be without a central support?

Most wide drapes are NOT designed to pull all to one side (with the exception of traverse rods) . There is NO ROOM on one side to allow me to split the width and have them open in the middle. The side where the patio door opens is the side with no room for drapes to fit. So I cannot use a rod with a central support.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County