SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adparker53

What height to put curtain rods in this vaulted room?

adparker53
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

This is our casual living room with three separate windows on the same wall that also has vaulted ceilings. Need some help with what to do curtain wise here...

Questions:

1. Do I hang three separate curtain rods or find something custom to do a single rod all the way across? (Would need to be over 12 feet long if just one rod, which seems excessive to me- but I'm no pro!)

2. What height do I hang the rod?

the line drawn on pic is about 1/2 way up the molding on each side. this would be for 96" panels hung on clips. I think 108"panels would look funny- as the rod would be quite a bit above the crown molding..thoughts? Or some other custom length?

3. I was currently planning to do solid linen panels close to the wall color- should I do that or look for something with more of a pattern? FYI- this room is on the front of the house along with office and formal living, so wasn't sure if curtains in all rooms needed to be the same/similar to avoid looking funky from outside. The pictured panel fabric is almost identical to the current panels in the office, which is the next room.

The rest of thof room for reference. Side note: getting rid of those shelves on either side of fire place as they look wimpy and out of place. suggestions on what to do there instead?

Comments (22)

• Sammy
    6 years ago

1. Do I hang three separate curtain rods or find something custom to do a single rod all the way across? (Would need to be over 12 feet long if just one rod, which seems excessive to me- but I'm no pro!)

Three separate curtain rods.*

2. What height do I hang the rod?

Read this.

FYI- this room is on the front of the house along with office and formal living, so wasn't sure if curtains in all rooms needed to be the same/similar to avoid looking funky from outside.

The curtains don’t need to be the same fabric. Just make sure they’re all lined the same.

*Edit: I’ve changed my mind based on Mrs. S’s suggestion: One rod with panels between each window.

• chloebud
    6 years ago

Yes...the lining should be the same.

I could see plantation shutters as another option for those windows.

• Related Discussions

Would you change height of shower rod and curtain?

Q

Comments (1)
    Yes! My Aunt ran the curtain up to the ceiling and to the floor, it really changes the look of the bathroom. She did black velvet curtains with a clear liner it looks really really good.
    ...See More

Height to hang curtain rods in room with varying ceiling height

Q

Comments (5)
    I would hang them all at the same height with the rod just skimming the top of the window, creating a waterline around the room...ignore the ceiling height.
    ...See More

What color curtains and curtain rod to use w/rug & black furniture?

Q

Comments (44)
    I don't know where that rug came from as someone else above had suggested it but I found a few similar ones on Wayfair.com. Here are a few, there are more... https://www.wayfair.com/rugs/pdp/bungalow-rose-ameesha-oriental-blueivory-area-rug-wlao3830.html https://www.wayfair.com/rugs/pdp/mistana-hillsby-oriental-dark-bluelight-gray-area-rug-w005411520.html?piid=195825670 https://www.wayfair.com/rugs/pdp/bungalow-rose-christa-oriental-creamnavy-area-rug-w006988067.html?piid=849085108 https://www.wayfair.com/rugs/pdp/mistana-hillsby-oriental-dark-bluelight-gray-area-rug-w005411520.html
    ...See More

Curtain rod height for valued ceiling in bedroom

Q

Comments (8)
    Ceiling height is too high most of the time. The rods should always blend with the paint so they don't SCREAM out they are there. Are the blinds staying? If you don't plan to actually use the curtains and just hang dummy panels you could frame each window, other wise do what will be easies to open/close them which would be one set stacked to the far right and left. There's just enough room above the casing, below the ceiling break for a rod, so you are in luck.
    ...See More
  • Mrs. S
    6 years ago

On the curtain and rod, I would hang the rod right about where you have the line. Hang one long rod. I do things on a bit of a budget, and on a similar panel of windows, I bought 2 long rods from Bed Bath&Beyond a few years ago, and you can attach them together with a special screw that has threads on both ends. You will of course have to figure out the supports, between the windows. (or maybe you're not on such a strict budget, and can look at custom). So, I would have curtain panels on each end, and also between the windows.

I'll let others help you with pattern/color. I like neutral curtains (as you have chosen), but there's lots of room for color in your lovely space. In terms of length, curtains are easily hemmed to skim the floor. If I can do it, so can you. Also, there's iron on tape specially made for hems, just in case you can't sew (I can't either, but mom threads the sewing machine and I try to go in a straight line, lol). Your curtains will look the same-ish from the outside because (a) you have white blinds (very nice), and (b) you can get curtains with white lining on the backside for that purpose.

For the fireplace, I need to mention that TVs above fireplace aren't a great solution. Is that temporary? TVs are best viewed at eye level height when you are sitting down. You have all those other walls--can you move the TV?

Overall, it's a lovely space, and I would like to see your follow up pictures when you're done with the curtains!

• jck910
    6 years ago

1 rod (6 panels) but I would hang it at the bottom edge of the crown molding. Fabric same color as walls or the white of the woodwork. Bring the blue of the rug up into 3 places in the room i.e. pillows, art, lamps

adparker53 thanked jck910
  • typeandrun
    6 years ago

Two things I notice, weird short chunk of crown molding on either side of windows. My eye is drawn to it and not in a good way. Also if you remove it, you can extend your rods. But I would not do fabric panels on those windows. i would do fixed roman shade.
    And linen fabric stretches/relaxes.....a lot. I would advise against using linen for a panel unless you are using fabric that is not truly linen.

• adparker53
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@ mrs. S: Thanks so much for your response-- very helpful.

We are definitely on a "budget" as we are trying to furnish this house, finish the basement and make a few other modifications, but can save for a bit to do it right if needed. Additionally, both my mom and MIL can sew (and I can do hem tape-ha!)

As far as doing one rod with panels between all the windows--should the panels cover the entire wall space between windows? I've seen it done that way when the windows are pretty close together, but never paid attention in situations like mine with several feet between windows.

As for the TV height-- it really is one of the only things hubby requested. so I let him have it. I'm not a huge TV person in general, but he is, and I have quite a few other "me" spaces to control (office, since I work from home; formal living, sunroom, etc) I should mention that the wall with the arched mirror we plan to open up later this year with either French doors or a cased opening as our sunroom is opposite that wall and very under utilized with it's current access, so that leaves the fireplace wall and wall opposite fireplace as possibilities for TV wall. I will ask him, but not sure it bothers me enough to press the issue with him.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago

Indian Creek Island Transitional · More Info
    Molding should have been installed all the way around the room. IMO, there is no need of any molding in your room.

• shadylady2u
    6 years ago

"As far as doing one rod with panels between all the windows--should the panels cover the entire wall space between windows?"

Yes.

• adparker53
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@typeandrun: YES!! I think that molding is SO weird right there. The opposite wall has molding all the way across (which kind of helps balance, I guess?)- but I think its strange since its not all the way around. How much work would it be for hubby to take that down and fix the drywall?

also the panels I have in mind are a poly/linen blend--so the wrinkle and stretching properties aren't really the issue more of an issue to pick the right color/texture for the room.

@Judy G- since putting it up around the room is not an option because of roof line- should I take down and try to repair now? This home was built in the 1990's and updated just before we purchased. They made mostly good choices, but this one baffled me. Should I consider doing some sort of ceiling beams in the future or just leave it plain?

• typeandrun
    6 years ago

@adparker53, not knowing what is under molding but most likely drywall was finished then molding added. Hopefully drywall patching, prime and paint touch up

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    6 years ago

Have your carpenter do a faux molding cornice to hide the drapery hardware and have it pick up where the current molding on both sides ends. And I would do one long rod with panels set in between all the windows. Here are a couple of examples so you see what I mean:

• adparker53
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@Sabrina Alfin Interiors- that is beautiful, but probably above my current budget. I would definitely consider saving for it, though. Any rough estimate on cost of carpentry for something like that?

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    6 years ago

I really couldn't say; labor and material costs vary so widely around the country. The materials for the cornice won't be much; but the labor for installing and painting it is probably where most of the cost lies. I'd advise getting a few quotes. ETA: it's possible your window treatment fabricator can do this for you as part of the cost for the curtain panels and installation. You should ask, and bring these photos with you.

• adparker53
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@Mrs. S-thanks for the visuals- very helpful and more budget friendly. As far as the molding---it is open on the top. It looks like they designed it to do some sort of up-lighting in the molding (which was sort of common in my area in the 90's/2000's I guess) but then never did the lighting in it. Which honestly I'm thankful for-but I don't care for that and would never have used it.

• Sammy
    6 years ago

I like what Mrs. S proposes better than what I said originally, which is to do one rod vs three.

adparker53 thanked Sammy
  • adparker53
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm adding a pic of our master bedroom because honestly it's got the same issues. The molding on some walls but not all and multiple spaced windows. Sounds like consensus is single rod with curtains covering space between. That work here too?

• typeandrun
    6 years ago

I think the windows are too far apart for a single rod. But IMO they are close enough that rods over each window and panels will look odd. I'd go with a roman shade

• Mrs. S
    6 years ago

I think there's definitely room for different options here. So, agreeing with the others.

Here's a nice option to make use of the larger wall space between the windows.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

Somewhat off topic, you have a very nice living room, and I agree with removing those structures at each side of the fireplace. I would probably put bookcases there, although they don't have to be tall. Large paintings above them or gallery walls would take away the emphasis from the functional TV. I would remove everything off the mantel. I notice that your rug is really too small for the space, and a larger and more colorful one, perhaps an Oriental, would make a much greater statement and brighten this room considerably. You can pull in the colors from the rug for the art and other accessories. Your rooms seem very monochromatic and you may prefer that, but color is coming back in a big way in home decoration, and I think it actually makes people feel better when everything is not gray or beige, and they're surrounded by pretty colors. I would pick a carpet that has some warm colors, in addition to cooler colors, to give the room some depth.

adparker53 thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • adparker53
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@Ingrid: thank you- any other thoughts on items next to fire place? like an certain look/item you have in mind? Everything I seem to put there just looks funny and the wall is far to big to just be bare. I do have a chase lounger that matches this room pretty well that I'm considering putting in the corner of the room to the left of fireplace. not sure what that does to balance the room though. If I put the chase on left, I probably not place anything else over on that side and may just need something else to the right of fire place. I do agree on it looking a bit monochromatic---but I seem to always pick blues, grays and tans...for everything. That rug is a 10x13 believe it or not and I just don't have a budget at the moment to purchase a new one, so it will have to hang on for awhile, but I think a 13x15 or larger could help, and would attempt to get out of my color funk and do something outside my box!

• typeandrun
    6 years ago

I know you said your husband mounted TV above mantle but it actually might work out better for viewing and you certainly have the space by placing it on a console to the right of the fireplace.

adparker53 thanked typeandrun