SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_austin7

Curtain Length/Color Dilemma

Melissa Austin
6 years ago
We are redoing our bedroom and the curtains/rod, comforter and shams are new, nightstand and lamps are in progress. I have purchased 84” curtains and they are 3.25” from the floor, right at top of baseboard. The rod is cast iron black to match our bed. Please ignore dog kennel and plant as neither are in permanent location ;) Three questions:
1 - do I buy longer curtains and have them hemmed to graze the floor?
2 - I’ve never used curtain clips so I’m not sure if they’re formal or not but would that be a better option to extend the length even though you’d see our moulding a little at the top?
3 - is the color okay or too bright for room or need lighter/sheerer fabric? Matches comforter color exactly.

I just want to do whatever will look the best. Thanks!

Comments (59)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

The clips are a different method than I described. They are much more casual a look, but they can work.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    6 years ago

Looks like it unanimous to use the clips.

Actually, it seems unanimous to use rings with hooks vs. rings with clips : )

I'm not sure how the incorrect idea that clips are easier than hooks came about. Hooks are just as easy and look so much better.

• PRO
    STUDIO MB
    6 years ago

You need new panels that are 1/2" off the floor. Rings or clips will not make up the difference. Right now you have a rod pocket (least expensive route) and that is ok but your window is not standard height unfortunately. Get longer drapes and raise the rod to the correct height to achieve the right look! Good luck!

• graywings123
    6 years ago

Possibly another way you could do this is to remove the hem stitch, iron out the fold, and sew on a false hem.

• Melissa Austin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I can only use clips or a rod with the current curtains, but I can exchange and get a 96" and hem if needed. OR I can exchange for a linen curtain and use clips or rings and still hem. The rod hardware has clips and rings that can be purchased to match for either option.

• cdee18
    6 years ago

I just realized that I wrote "rings and hooks" under that first picture I showed you when I meant to say "rings and clips." I just changed it and I'm sorry if I added to your confusion. If you want to use the hooks that Flo showed you with your rod pocket curtains, you'll have to jab them up into the fabric. Just make sure they are spaced evenly and are all at the same height.

If you want pleats like Flo showed you, there are several ways to go about it and you can find lots of instructions online. One way would be to use the pleater tape I posted above. If you go this route, you'll need a different kind of hook like this:

Let me know if you need more help.

• Melissa Austin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

If I take out the hem or buy longer and have hemmed, should I still use rings or just leave on the rod?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 years ago

Get 90 inch curtains

6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

It's such a much nicer, more professional look to use the rings with drapery hooks. And the cost of hooks shouldn't be more than $10 or so for enough to do both panels.

cheap drapery hooks

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    That pleater type hook is horrible to use and creates very thick pleat. You don’t have to stick pointed hook into fabric. You slide it up into the pleat and the stitching on the pleat holds the hook and pin. It is much simpler.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Get rings. Much nicer look. What you have is called sheered. It is kind of dated look. You have nice rod so figure out the proper size rings for your rod. 1/4” larger than your rod. Rings should match color of rod. If you can find 90” long drapes, all the better.
  • graywings123
    6 years ago

I think it is spelled shirred.

6 years ago

What you have is called sheered

I think Flo means "shirred", ie rod pocket.

Here are some good instructions:

From Ballard Designs

From Overstock

• Melissa Austin
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    They’re 100% cotton drapes with a rod pocket and I squished them up when I hung them.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    I would like to blame auto correct but I keyed it in wrong. Thanks gang, that is correct. I tried putting it in just now and it changed it! I quit! Lol.
  • cdee18
    6 years ago

"You slide it up into the pleat and the stitching on the pleat holds the hook and pin. It is much simpler."

That would be true if the drapes were pleated, but the curtains we're looking at are flat panels with casing at the top. So what do you slide the hook into?

Melissa, whether or not to use rings or leave it on the rod is up to you. They both have a different look. You might want to try it both ways and see which you like best. Personally, I would hang lightweight fabric the way yours are now with the rod inside the casing and use the rings and hooks/pins on mid-weight fabric, but that is just my opinion.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Here are some examples of pleated drapes, on rings and rods.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    I perhaps I wasn’t clear enough. I was suggested returning these panels for pleated drapery panels. Of course, if you don’t have the fixed pleat you can’t use the straight pin. But you need a special backing on the panels to use the multi prong hook and that takes more total width of fabric along with fabric thin enough to use these. Believe me, I have made drapes myself many times including using the multi prong hook. I used them once. That was enough.
  • cdee18
    6 years ago
    I like Flo's suggestion to get pleated panels. That would look fantastic.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    6 years ago
    Hi Melissa...thought I would drop in.....I would return your curtains and get some that are at least hung at 96” and just barley touch the floor....I love the light ivory but woukd try to find drapes with some lining...will look a bit more formal for your Master bedroom.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    6 years ago
    If on a budget and the drapes will be stationary you can get drapery panels that have a wider header so when gathered they will look fuller and give a stronger design style to your space without having to buy pleated with rings...just a suggestion...
  • Melissa Austin
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    These are cotton with a cotton lining. I can swap and get a linen curtain lined and back tab. They’ll pleat on their own with or without rings. These are the Pottery Barn Emery linen and I have the Cameron Cotton.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    6 years ago
    YES was just going to suggest back tabs they hang really nice...
  • PRO
    Barbara Brown Interiors, Inc.
    6 years ago
    Hello there!

Flo has given great advice and a lot of helpful details.

I don’t like drapery clips as they frequently come off, and, they are a very very casual look.

Your room is great looking, I would go with rings with drapery pins . The pinch pleat style or European pleat style will absolutely add fullness. Make sure they’re adequately lined. I typically line and inter line mine. The better the fabric and lining, the less light will come through. Stationary panels should only come into window about 2-3 inches anyway .... not much light hitting them.

Good luck, and enjoy !
  • PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    6 years ago
    linen with lining would be very nice...pottery barn or Restoration Hardware are good sources...have you looked at Halfpricedraoes.com?
  • Melissa Austin
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Julie - I have not. I didn’t know about that site. I have the linen curtains from PB in my great room and looked at PB, Target, & West Elm. I’ll check it out.

Flo - are the pleats already in the curtains or are they created by the rings/hooks when hung? I’m sorry I’m not versed very well on curtains. ;)
  • User
    6 years ago

I would do a black curtain with a white embroidered trim or a lighter shade of your gray paint with a black....just my opinion

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Ok a prep leafed drape comes already pleated. To use the multi prong hook you need the backer tape that has little slots where you thread up the prongs. Don’t even think another minute about that option. Just look for pleated drapery. Lots of places to find them. Halfpricedrapes is a source. I find their website quite difficult to navigate. A phone call would save you a headache. Try ZGallerie too. They have some panels that could work. Get a coupon or sale.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    You can use the back tab style. The downside is they don’t hang quite as nicely. Certainly an option. More casual look.
  • DH
    6 years ago
    f
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Melissa, any progress? Looking forward to more photos. Don’t worry about clutter, I’m looking for relationships of spaces and overall style. Hoping you are doing ok.
  • Melissa Austin
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Not yet. I’ve been looking on my lunch break and online some for different alternatives like the suggestions.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Ok np. Just checking in on things.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Extra wide x 96” long velvet lined and weighted....on sale $99 per panel

several colors to choose from...other longer lengths are available. Good Luck!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

The above drapes can be hung with rings from hook belt on back or back tabs.....

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Depending on the fabric and rod you choose Back Tabs can look very nice and add a formal look...lined velvet panels pleat perfectly with back tabs.

• Melissa Austin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Velvet over linen back tab? These are the linen ones I was considering.

• imhofan
    6 years ago

I think velvet sheen would work beautifully with your damask bedding. More luxury for master and something different from your living drapes.

Due to your lower set window and stepped ceiling detail, I would mount rod midway from top of casement to ceiling----what does that measure?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Velvet!:)

• Melissa Austin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

imhofan - not sure about the measurements, will have to check...as for the bedding, that might get replaced but it will still be a cream color, thought about a duvet, but whatever I get it I still want it to match the shams/curtain.

• Melissa Austin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

And have to pick out lamps and something for over the bed...nightstands will be replaced too.

• imhofan
    6 years ago

Regardless if changing bedding, I agree w/HIWE and would go velvet for a master.

• Melissa Austin
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    For my own analytical mind ;) why velvet over linen for learning purposes? I’ve ordered searches from hpd.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Wait! You will be replacing night stands and bedding? And you bought mirrors to work with existing night stands. Not good process at all. Start with night stands (hardest to get size and finish you like). Next bedding then drapery. Accessories last. Hold off on drapes.
  • Melissa Austin
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    No I haven’t bought any mirrors, lamps, or anything. The bedding may be replaced. We have two puppies and don’t think it’ll last long and will replace with same color or duvet that is like the shams. I feel the curtains would work either direction.
  • erinsean
    6 years ago

Melissa, I like your curtains....Others have said buy longer ones and hem them....that would be fine but have you thought of sewing a strip on the bottom of your curtains you have now? Either the same color of fabric, a satin fabric the same color, or a contrasting color of fabric....to me that would be easier that raising your rod, taking the curtains back and getting long ones. You will have a nice room when done.

• Kim KP
    6 years ago

Melissa, just a note about the velvet curtains, I have the French pleat and found that they are way too heavy for the clips so now I’m having to redo that window. If you decide on the pleat I highly suggest you take Flo’s advice and use the rings without clips.

• Melissa Austin
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    erinsean - I have not thought of that thanks for the idea. I’d rather do that or buy longer curtains/hem than raise the rod.

Kim - thanks for the tip!

There are so many choices it’s just so hard for me to decide!