SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleevendog

What's For Dinner #389....2021

Good timing. The New Year edition...

Smoked Salmon/anchovy pasta....burnt sourdough bruschetta.

Comments (103)

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Nice salad. Looks like our lunches or light dinner. DH prefers a pastry bottom crust. Almond sounds like a great idea.

Check out the size of this sprout. Must have been grand stalks.

• annie1992
    3 years ago

Neely, that corned beef looks perfect and the apple slice looks even better, but Elery is drooling over your salad.

Jack, how did the pizza turn out?

Lynda, your seafood always looks so good, and I need to eat more of it. I wish it weren't so expensive here, or only available from China.

Jasdip, it's 9F here right now, it'll be cold all next week, then get back up into the 20s and 30s, much more temperate, thankfully. I still have two pregnant cows and I don't want any calves when it's this cold.

Sleevendog, I was just thinking I needed to make some of that quick pickled cabbage, I have a small head of red cabbage from my latest Misfits box. Those hand rolls look really good. I saw those brussels sprouts too, I've never seen any that big, that's a cabbage!

This is my latest Misfits box, it included two beautiful turnips and a purple daikon radish, something I've never heard of. Bok Choy, naval and Valencia oranges, Granny Smith apples (one was pretty bruised up), a nice bunch of parsley, that little red cabbage, a couple of huge poblanos, red and gold beets, broccoli florets and some add on sardines and a pouch of salmon.

Elery made kim chee with the Napa from the last box, he says it's really hot, he got a little heavy handed with the chilis, LOL.

I made Aash-e Jow for supper, a Persian soup with lentils, beans, rice, barley, some spices, topped with caramelized onions and a dollop of green yogurt. I used the parsley from the misfits and the red kale from my last box, it was starting to get kind of limp but it worked nicely for soup:

I baked a loaf of rye bread to go with the soup, we had the last of the pastrami on rye for sandwiches to go with the soup:

I baked Grandma's Chewy Molasses cookies for Mom:

As well as a pumpkin pie, and yes, every single pumpkin pie I make has that slot in the middle where I stick a butter knife to test the doneness..

Elery made beef stew on Tuesday while I went to Mother's:

I made AnnT's Country Biscuits to go with the stew:

And houzz won't let me post any more pictures, so I'll continue this on the next comment...

Annie

• Related Discussions

What;s for dinner Monday?

Q

Comments (9)
    Glenda, that's a lot of food, but with all 12 bringing a dish it doesn't take long to fill up a buffet. I'm surprised there were no desserts! Raven, everything sounds delicious. We ended up having sliced avocados last night because the mangoes weren't quite ready. Way to go, Jasdip. You're making space in the frig for more of your good cooking! Shirley, I looked for green beans in the grocery today and they were awful looking. I wanted green beans and red potatoes so bad!! Yep, I think we all love our leftovers and most of the time I think they taste better on day 2 (or 3).
    ...See More

Last dinner of 2013? What's for dinner ?

Q

Comments (17)
    We were visiting my wife's family in Vermont which ends up being a large group, with most of her brothers and sisters, and their spouses and kids, and this year even several girlfriends of the kids. All told we were about thirty. Meals were split up with one or two people volunteering for each meal. New Year's Eve was my night. I was stumped at first as far as what to make, but the co-volunteer Eric (a foodie BIL) came up with the suggestion of top-your-own tacos. We actually went with tostadas, and made black beans, three different meat toppings, and about a dozen other topping options, with side dishes of Mexican-spiced rice, and homemade cole slaw. Logistically the meal worked well, although some people didn't realize that they were supposed to be able to pick up the tostada after they made it, and instead they buried it beneath a 2-inch deep mound of toppings. Also we forgot to put out the guacamole until after half the people had served themselves. Food wise, some parts of the meal worked better than others. The shredded chicken verde was good but would have been better with more of the tomatillo salsa, however the co-op closed early, and the normal grocery store had no green salsa. The beef/chorizo was good but could have used a bit more of something, Eric and I couldn't decide what it needed. The shrimp was a big hit, the only problem with it was it disappeared so fast, the recipe (as well as I remember it) for the shrimp is below. Chili-Lime Shrimp 2 lbs peeled uncooked shrimp (31-40 count -- cut into thirds) 10 cloves garlic (minced) 1 4oz can diced green chilies 2 limes chili powder canola oil Liberally cover raw shrimp with chili powder and the juice of 1 half of a lime, and let rest for 10 minutes. In small pan, heat oil over medium heat, add garlic and green chilies, until garlic is softened and fragrant. remove from heat. In large pan, heat oil over high heat, until it is smoking hot, add shrimp stirring occasionally to make sure all the shrimp are getting cooked, and none are burning, after about 2-3 minutes the shrimp should all be cooked, add the garlic and green chilies that you set aside, and the rest of the juice of the limes. Stir for about 1 more minute, and place in large bowl to serve. Overall the meal received rave reviews.
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #363

Q

Comments (103)
    So many great looking meals! Ann_t, how on earth you can’t love your salads I don’t know! They always look delicious. How wonderful to have so many lovely tomatoes. I get you aren’t a salad eater, but… my goodness! Petalique, I was hoping someone would post a pizza – I’m so hungry for pizza. Your tomato and zucchini looks incredibly tasty – don’t you love how great those ‘whatever we’ve got’ pizzas always come out?! Always a pleasant surprise! Artemis_ma, you never fail to surprise me; I’d never have thought to stuff a pepper with potatoes, let alone Indian spices – sounds and looks so good. I need to be more adventurous : ) Jasdip, your pasta and tomato meal looks the best to me and has my mouth watering : ) Something about that combination just tastes so good. I’ve not made that this summer… yet! I like that you used asparagus. Your pot roast is making me pretty hungry too – we love a good well-done, melt in your mouth roast. Only thing I don’t like is how the onions always melt down to nothing and I find myself searching for more in the DO! Neely, I don’t even know where to start – that steak sandwich looks delish, your soup/stew is wonderful (you always have such nice chunky veg!). I know what you mean about sometimes just needing vegetables! But you do know what caught my attention! Your fromage frais with the poached egg on toast! Looks marvelous! Nancyofnc, I do that too! (put labels on food for parties). Your tea sandwiches turned out so pretty – and I can almost taste the marmalade/ricotta! Those tomato ‘bugs’ are adorable and I bet they were a hit too! ETA: Sleevendog, for some reason your posts never show up for a while for me! Wanted to say that tomato pic... oh my gosh. That's all I can say! Speechless! Also, thanks for the help with sous vide - that black and blue steak salad below took me zero time to put together because the steak was already done except for searing - following your example : ) Thursday I wanted to grill, so gorgonzola burgers 3-bean bake, and grilled corn. That’s not a lettuce tree growing out of the burger, just an odd camera angle! Friday was busy, so poofed ribs – Ann_T’s recipe – so good! Made more Tunnel Bar-b-que sauce but didn’t thin it as much with Stubb’s and found it was more to our liking with that kick. Made DH some country baby kale (you know, cooked to death with bacon, vinegar, chicken stock). Saturday I needed veg, so black and blue salad hit the spot for both of us. Yes, that’s my plate. Yes, I eat that much : ) Sunday we had Mesquite Salmon with herbed mayo/mustard seed sauce, roasted cherry tomatoes (from my neighbor’s garden) with shallots and basil, and rice.
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner 406 Summer 2023

Q

Comments (103)
    Wow, 4 years. Such a cute age. And a cute cake. We have 5 under 5 with another on the way via 3 nephews. I meant 'passive' haha. Meaning, "you do your thing vegetables. I have no time to babysit." Next day it had a lasagna vibe with the top layer of the pasta. I usually make a harvest lasagna every early Fall...right around the corner. Another pic of the shrimp salad lettuce cups fell from the clouds, A couple weeks ago i sous vide four small sirloins. An easy taco pulling two out of the freezer and thawing with a dry brine, then a cast iron sear. Tossed in kimchi. Next day made a sirloin Banh mi for DH. I had a sirloin salad bowl. Side bean/corn salad About to hit the end of the Summer thread...bummer.
    ...See More
  • annie1992
    3 years ago

OK, installment #2!

Why is it that when I'm making something like deviled eggs the eggs never peel nicely and the eggs are all chipped up, but if I'm making egg salad, they peel perfectly? Yeah, these eggs were destined for egg salad for Mother and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM peeled perfectly, the shells coming off in big pieces:

Yeah, well I made egg salad anyway:

Then taking a page from Sleevendog's book, I decided to "fancy up" my loaf of rye bread. I have a lame, so I got it out and did a freehand kind of slash. I really need to look up patterns on the internet, LOL:

This all obviously bored my cat, as no meat was involved, LOL, or his favorite food, Kraft processed slices...

So I made some honey mustard glazed salmon in the air fryer, along with some of Elery's favorite pink half runner beans and some dirty rice. The cat was far more impressed with the salmon than with the egg salad, for some reason.

Even two little fuzzy deer decided to take a nap, LOL, so I guess I've bored the animals with my projects!

And so I'm caught up.

Annie

Original Author
    3 years ago

I have the same tiny red cabbage. And the poblanos. I have always preferred them over the horrid green bell peppers. Tiny cabbage thank you Misfits. They are so tender and last forever in the crisper.

😂😂😜, eggs. lol. If I have an audience, even just a pup, I talk to my eggs when going into the steamer for hard boiled. Julia Child voice. "oh, you are just an egg salad, so don't mind the easy peal shell". Can't fool them. 🙄

Misfits this past Wednesday. I needed long savers. I still have so much from two weeks ago. Crazy how long the greens lasted. Still using some tonight.

CovidDental, Dental/Lockdown, HouseholdAppliance/Covid. We trouble-shoot all household everything. Have never needed a service call in years. Dental is not a DIY, 😂.

Another dental yesterday. Planned softer foods for a few days. I have more opioids than a junky. Not needed at all, even an aspirin, thank goodness.

I need Ann-t's dental recovery for her DH Moe. Killer meals posted on Egullet. 😀

More than usual, I have had 5 days planned. No steak or minimal chews. Salmon, etc.

last night was freezer soup and fresh soaked/cooked beans. I labeled it DentalSoup.

• Lynda (Zn9b/23 - Central CA Coast)
    3 years ago

So many great dishes - Annie's bread and cookies, Neely's corned beef, and Sleeve's slaw and salmon cakes. Yum!

Our warm weather is gone, so I am back to cool weather cooking. Last night was spicy hot pot, which is a favorite in our home. DH and I have both spent a fair bit of work related time in China and hot pot has been in our meal rotation ever since.

We used a hot pot soup base that I order in bulk from Amazon and then we thinly sliced frozen pork. Everything else is just what we have on hand. Last night we used bok choi, onion, shell on shrimp and frozen dumplings.
    Traditionally, everyone cooks their own by placing the raw ingredients in the hot broth. We have found that it works better for us to have DH cook and serve.

When all the goodies are eaten, the last course is soup with dumplings.

Sleeve, I am keeping notes on my mini SV desserts and am happy to share what I have learned so far. I have found that the 4oz mason jars are perfect for this use and can also be used to make the SV egg cups, which I haven't tried yet. Unlike canning, the lids are reusable. I love that I can cook, chill, store, transport and eat out of the same container, throw it in the dishwasher and do it all over again. I bought a set of 40 jars and lids on Amazon, and I do need to find a better way to store the empty ones. I make several batches at a time, refrigerating a few for now, and freezing the rest for later. The egg based desserts are perfect for having a small portion of something rich and satisfying. The plain cheesecake pairs beautifully with the fruit jams and sauces I make out of our excess fruit. So far, I have determined that the crust does need to be baked before SV. I have tried it both ways and the consensus is that it is worth the extra effort. Thermal shock can be an issue with glass jars. To prevent cracking, I've been putting them in the water bath while it is heating up, but don't count the time until the bath reaches its set temperature.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Massive brussel sprout!! Sorry to hear about your dental surgery Sleeve, but I do like your humourous labeling of your soups.

Lynda, the Hot pot looks great, lots of choices of protein.

Annie, what adorable baby deer (kids?). I didn't realize they were fuzzy. I see your kitty likes to lay in weird positions. Love his leg action. Bud is a contortionist.

Neely, I thought your summers were consistently 40°C or more. I'm surprised it's only a few days. Obviously it's your area; maybe it's the Outback that gets the extreme heat.

I made a pork roast in the slow cooker. Rubbed with ground coriander and crushed fennel and I mixed some smoked paprika into it as well.

Placed on top of cubed potatoes. At the end, the hot potatoes are tossed in an olive oil, dijon, minced shallot (I used onion) and white wine vinegar mix.

Original Author
    3 years ago

That looks really good Lynda. We have made a similar meal with guests. Over a year ago. 🙄. Now we just do a paired down version of 'hot pot'.

I have a case of 24 4oz but they have the rubber ring with the lock-down 'spring-loaded' dealio. I've read about a way to let them burp. For fermentations. Risky. Bummer. I can test by setting them in the water bath in a baggie full of the bath water....so if they crack, it is contained. Not sure it is worth it. Deciding if it is worth another container expense....and the storage.

We miss having kitties.

Mustard sauce is so good with pork.

No dental issues at all. They called and checked in Saturday, Sunday, and again this morning. (that is unusual). Not an aspirin needed. They are so good and thorough. (if I was in any pain they would have met me in their office even Sunday, their day off).

This was a disaster taco night Thursday. (pre-dental). Locally made corn tortillas but sent the wrong ones again. Thought I could make it work. Excellent black beans and pulled pork. Should have just made tostadas. Pulled out the soggy tough shells and just had it salad version. Then soaked the shells and roasted into chips. Good save for lunch nachos.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Saturday/Sunday comfort crispy salmon with mixed grains/beans, and last night grain stuffed roasted spaghetti squash. Lamb sausage. Roasted chick peas, potatoes, lots of lemon.

3 years ago

Nice pork Jasdip. Your kitty is beautiful, he looks just like our sammy, who passed from old age a few years back. He had the same ginger patch on his belly (and also liked to show it off).

Annie, I forgot to ask you what part of Michigan you are from. DH's family is from Michigan, so he was curious to know.

Crispy salmon looks perfect Sleeve. Sorry to hear about the taco shells.

Last night dinner was DH's bacon wrapped shrimp (yum!), lobster bisque (Yum!!), no knead white wheat boule, and salad. We harvested the first of the season's salad greens for the salad. These are the seedlings that I planted from seed in November, and the birds savaged them in December. With some netting they are now thriving.

Dessert was supposed to be lemon macarons, but they were a total mess. The shells weren't smooth, didn't rise properly and weren't lemony enough.

• neely
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Lynda, Lol you didn’t mention if you ate the macarons. I would have. And your husband sure can cook. Delicious meal. Plus your hot pot looks very good.

Sleevendog all great meals and what a save. I see your area is marketing those thinner slices of salmon like ours does...it’s enough.

Hi Jasdip, yes you’re right about the inland / outback having those high temps all summer. Thank goodness we live down the south where it’s cooler, also have moderating influence of being near the sea. It still gets awfully hot. Your pork dinner looks great.

Annie, that riddle of the peeling eggs gets me too. Great meals, all of them. I must try to make Kimchi. I’ve only had it at Korean restaurants which of course was more than a year ago now with this wretched virus.

DH made us schnitzel, oven sweet potato chips and salad. The simplicity was perfect.

• annie1992
    3 years ago

Neely, your husband did well, that looks perfect, especially the sweet potatoes.

Sleevendog, sorry about the dental work. At least you've graduated from soup to some grains and that spaghetti squash. Also glad you didn't need the pain meds, they always upset my stomach and make me feel so terrible I think the pain is preferable most times, ugh. The salmon is just the right size, Elery and I often share a piece, it comes in portions far too big for either of us.

Lynda, the hot pot sounds good, I've never had that, but lobster bisque? Oh my, I HAVE had that and I like it a lot. I'm in Northern/Western Michigan, about 50 miles northwest of Grand Rapids right on the edge of the Manistee National Forest, near a small town called Big Rapids, home of Ferris State University and not much else. (grin)

Jasdip, those are fawns, but they are last spring's fawns and so they've lost their spots. They're awfully cute and furry, aren't they? Actually, they are two out of a set of triplets, Mom and the other sibling were far enough apart from them that I couldn't get them all in one picture and still zoom in close enough to see that they were even deer. Your Bud is a hoot, that orange cat of mine sleeps like that too, very "un-cat like", I've never known another cat that sleeps like that. And then I see yours, LOL. Mine weighs about 20 pounds, and I finally gave that LaZBoy recliner spot to him, added a chair cover, but he's nearly too big for it.

So, what's cooking? Today I did some cooking for Mother, I'll go see her tomorrow, so I made one of her favorites, goulash.

I also made some split pea soup, but it's never very pretty, so no pictures, LOL.

I decided to take some stale brioche and make some bread pudding:

Meanwhile, Elery roasted a semi-boneless leg of lamb. He removed the bone and tied the roast, then used some fresh rosemary and thyme from my herb garden to season it, and roasted it medium rare:

I also made supper, a zucchini crust "pizza" with the zucchini from the Misfits box last week, along with some roasted butternut squash from my back room storage.

I mashed the other half of the squash with some butter and brown sugar and that'll go to Mother's tomorrow too.

Yesterday I made some mustard glazed salmon and oven fries from the turnips and the beets from the Misfits box:

Saturday Ashley and the girls were here and I made mashed potatoes, pork roast and green beans, some beer bread and strawberry cupcakes with marshmallow frosting, but I was busy playing and didn't take any pictures. Well, not of food, anyway, but I did get this picture of Ashley with the pipe cleaner glasses her girls made for her!

Stay healthy, and keep on cooking!

Sleevendog, I hope you heal up quickly.

Annie

Original Author
    3 years ago

The dental was such a non-issue. Such professionals, they just let their patients know what could happen post visit.

I just did a meal plan for a few days just in case.

Annie, what a creative list of recipes to feed the masses. With Elery's help with protein. (did you like the lamb?😂) ...Ashley's hair is gorgeous. Cute pic. My young millennial co-workers would say her hair is 'dope'. Nice to see smiles, and children somewhat accepting these odd times. Just maybe acceptance is survival. We have to live on and have hope for the end of this tragedy. I'm confident we will get this under control.

I still continue to pic meal disasters. Lol. DH did the basement freezer shopping over the weekend. I made salmon patties last night but could not find an egg for the binder. Could swear I had a couple frozen for cornbread, etc. (could have soaked a bit of chia seed) but too late for that. Again a heap of ugly food but so good, who cares. An adult veg heavy 'Mac-n-cheese' with a young gorgonzola. With crispy salmon crumbles. 😂

The salmon skin was in the oven crisping for a garnish, the salmon cake sauce with fresh horseradish/chipotle mayo....then disaster strikes, I find crispy skin in the oven next day...forgot about it. I might freeze the sauce for later. Maybe for crab or fish cakes. Pups had salmon skin as a training treat.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Freezer shopping. Need to get creative using up what is already prepared or half prepped. A package of braised chicken thighs, a pint of stock, 2 1/2 pints of veg grain frozen in stock....into a pot of medium dark roux. With frozen peas and fresh crisper tid-bits. (celery leek shallots garlic). Chicken pot pie.

Pastry may have been frozen longer than usual but still ok. No egg to brush the top and decided to cut it up having too much filling....(made a second small one for DH lunch.) Pastry 'scraps' covered both ceramics.

Avocado/goat cheese salad.

3 years ago

Neely, Your DH's schnitzel looks good. I like simplicity, no need to add if it is perfect the way it is. I did eventually try the lemon macarons, which tasted better than I thought they would. DS was happy that they didn't turn out, as he got to have almost all of them.

Annie, That lamb! You know how I like lamb. DH's family all lived around the eastern side of the state. He has good memories of summers spent in Michigan at the farms of his extended family.

Sleevendog, Adult mac n cheese with gorgonzola - yum. I may have to give that a try.

A couple of recent mid week dinners -

Parmesan crusted tilapia, saffron brown rice and asparagus.

SV and then pan seared salmon, with SV Bearnaise sauce, saffron basmati rice and carrots.

Roast chicken with wild rice and asparagus

• annie1992
    3 years ago

Lynda, Elery moved to Michigan when he was 12 and grew up on the East side of the State, in the Monroe area. He lived in Jackson when I met him and moved north after we both retired.

I didn't taste the lamb, I trusted Elery's judgment on it when he said it was good, LOL. He now has lots of leftovers packaged and in the freezer when he wants a sandwich or a quick lunch of lamb.

Your saffron brown rice looks nice and creamy, almost like a risotto, very nice.

Sleevendog, I've been doing a lot of freezer shopping too, obviously, trying to just make some freezer room. Elery would like to buy pork from a neighbor this spring and we do not have freezer room yet. I found a whole basket full of bacon that I didn't even know we had, but the girls are always happy to "help me out" by taking bacon "off my hands". Yeah...

Your mac and cheese with salmon is a good way to use up a bit of leftover salmon, which I just happen to have, although the cats are trying to convince me to give it to them. The chicken pot pie sounds really good, though, and the scraps of dough gives it a nice kind of abstract art sort of vibe.

Ashley's hair? Yeah, when she said she was going to have her hair dyed silver I asked her why in the world she wanted the hair color of a 90 year old woman. Still not as jarring as that My LIttle Pony hair she had, but she says her friend does her hair and since the salons weren't open she was bored and so Ashley told her to just do whatever she wanted. Who knows what's next, LOL.

Last night I stopped at the local Chinese restaurant on my way home from Mother's. Sesame Chicken for me, Szechuan Chicken, extra hot, for Elery, and an order of steamed dumplings. We almost never ate out before the pandemic but the local restaurants have been closed for "dining in" since before Thanksgiving and they are struggling. There's not much call for outdoor dining in Northern Michigan in December either. So I've been trying to pick up take out once a week, from different restaurants, and tip heavily to maybe help just a little. I was smiling at the very heavily accented Asian woman on the phone trying to "upsell" me when I called in. I asked for Sesame Chicken and she said "oh, this is your very lucky day! Today we have combo, with fried rice and eggroll, only $6.95!" I agreed to take the combo and then said my husband would like something very spicy. "I will make a very spicy chicken for your darling husband. Would he like combo?" Sure, why not. "Oh, you are so very, very lucky today, we also have a special. 10 dumplings, steamed or fried, only $4.95!!! They are oh-so-delicious, I have eaten many. Would you like dumplings?" By now I was trying not to giggle, she was so sweetly giving me the hard sell, so, what the heck, we had the dumplings. Steamed. They were very good, I wished I had just gotten another order of those and left the sesame chicken!

Tonight Elery made supper, a combination of shrimp and sausage with some sweet peppers and onions, it was very good and I took a picture, but it's not uploaded yet.

Annie

• wintercat_gw
    3 years ago

Had to use up some dispirited onions and carrots, so made bean soup. Soaked the beans for 24 hours and after caramelizing the vegetables sent the pot into a low and slow oven for three hours. Wish I had some marrow bones, but it came out real tasty despite being vegetarian.

Another 20 pounder flaunting his belly.

3 years ago

Wintercat, Nice bean soup and cat. I am partial to a tabby, having one in our family for so many years.

Annie, Love the hustle by your local Chinese place. I have also been trying to give a little extra business to some of my favorite restaurants. My fish market/restaurant now greets me by name, their version of the hustle. We just had our ban on outdoor dining lifted, so it will be nice to enjoy a meal out when the weather permits.

This was a couple nights ago - lemon shrimp risotto with the last of the lobster bisque.

My version of comfort food.

Tonight I am going to make chicken enchiladas verde, which I haven't had in so long. I am resorting to store bought tomatillos, as it is the wrong season for them here. I am going to try SVing the chicken to see if it is more tender prepared that way.

• neely
    3 years ago

All the above meals look delicious and interesting.

We have had our family outdoor bans lifted to 30 which was just in time for one of my sons’ ( ? ... I’m losing it regarding the right apostrophe ) birthday. I spent quite a few hours cooking things. Annie came to mind. Families arranged to bring food. I made a large bowl of potato salad, a large bowl of green salad, brownies, apple slice and raspberry slice. We had a BBQ and there was a cool breeze blowing through the covered canopy which meant no compacted heavy breathing spots so no masks were worn. It felt wonderful to be sort of back to normal and seeing people not seen for ages.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Neely, what a wonderful celebration with your family.

Lynda, I'm looking forward to seeing your chicken enchiladas.

Annie, Elery's shrimp, sausage and peppers dinner sounds wonderful!

Great soup and kitty, Wintercat

I made a sweet and sour pork stir-fry tonight. The pork was breaded and shallow-fried, then the veggies stir-fried and simmered in a sweet and sour sauce.

3 years ago

Neely, You son's birthday seems so wonderful and normal. I really miss normal.

Jasdip, Your sweet & sour pork looks great. I've never made it before. I will have to give a try, as I bet it would be hit for my family.

My chicken enchiladas came out great. SVing the chicken was much easier and resulted in a more tender chicken.

We've had a significant rain storm in the last week and yesterday was the first dry day to get outside. I found a carpet of ripe key limes on the ground surrounding my tree, so they featured in this dish. I used them to make the crema, the verde sauce, and added as a garnish. We also found, harvested and used several ripe jalapenos and one serrano. It is amazing that they have continued producing all winter.

Super ripe key limes

Earlier, my DS wanted to make cookies. He picked a recipe off of pinterest and I had him make it. They came out really well and were easy enough for him to make. My goal is that he be a proficient cook by the time he leaves our home.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Storm prep day. Makes it messy when it starts in the evening. Overnight snow load is difficult to deal with in the morning.

Jealous of the family gathering. Though happy it was a success.

I did sous vide packages of pork loin a few months ago. Stir fry is a good alternative menu choice.

A week of good freezer meals with good lunches made for an easy week. A packet of braised chicken, ham, and pork, ...noodle bowls, chili, ham and bean soup...thawing a whole chicken for tomorrows storm...steak tonight. Made lots of room for yesterdays delivery. Could not go without eggs any longer. Three dozen. Not used any yet. Just comforting to know I have them. 😜

Really nice chili. Made it without beans and cubed beef. That way I can 'add-ins' as I wish when thawed.

Last night back to fancy. Lamb racks. DH thawed two, (eyes bigger that stomach). We snacked on salad and avocado and smoked salmon all afternoon so not much appetite but so good. Had lamb lollipops for lunch/brunch today.

Beautiful California artichokes. Winter squash.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Your enchiladas look so good, Lynda! I absolutely love your photography of the limes. Man I can't get used to calling yellow fruit limes :-D

Sleeve, your hubby thawed 2 slabs of lamb? What was he thinking? 🤣

Good ol' comfort food today. It's a bitterly cold wind. I went for 2 walks; one to cash in my $7 scratch winnings, and again to cash in my $50 winnings! LOL It was colder the second time.

Original Author
    3 years ago

When he does the freezer shopping he grabs the first he sees. I have a single slab. He did the same with shrimp a couple weeks ago, 🙄😂

Baby steak cubes last night. The other two artichokes.

We snacked on the sugar snaps so not much made it to the plate...

3 years ago

Sleevenog, I love the idea of his and her racks of lamb. Artichokes look great too.

Annie, I am so sorry for your lost calf. I can only imagine how hard it must be.

Jasdip, Comfort food is perfect on a cold day.

WFD tonight was Pad Thai, which is one of my comfort foods. We used our kaffir limes, the last of our thai peppers, and our spring onions.

We picked up 60 seedlings from our local nursery and planted them today. About 2/3s were bok choy and the rest various types of salad greens.

• neely
    3 years ago

Love your sweet and sour pork Jasdip. We had this as a home delivered meal a while ago and it didn’t taste quite right. It was OK but didn’t have that sweet vinegary taste which I like.

Sleevendog, love your serves of artichokes as a side to the main. I usually think of them as a first course but love them served your way. Also like rack of lamb... expensive here why.... why when so many sheep but labor costs are so high.

Lynda your Pad Thai looks the best... Yum makes me want to dig in.

DH brought home cooked cabbage rolls, falafel and hummus dip which was a yummy vegetarian meal for a change.

Below was our typical meal of two lamb chops, sweet potato, beans and mint jelly.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Artichokes are a first course with dinner guests. (our dishwasher is acting up so extra plates are excessive right now...and dealing with the aftermath of a massive snow storm)

Yum, pad thai. And lamb.

Planting seedlings, lol. Digging out from snow storm here.

Did manage to cold smoke some cheeses and tomatillo/hatch chili salsa. Then hot smoked a chicken, finished in the oven.

Not burnt like it looks. Crispy skin via a dark miso/urfa biber/palm sugar glaze. (urfa is black from the get-go)

Quick pickled salad with a fresh grapefruit dressing. Forgot to add the pear.

Original Author
    3 years ago

For a massive snowstorm this was fantastic. Smoked salmon fettuccini. Lots of veg in the sauce....shallot, golden beet, radish, fennel, celery....1/2 pint veg stock, 1/2 pint smocked tomatillo salsa.

Salsa from the batches I made last September. Cold smoked the salmon and salsa straight from the freezer. Salmon skin slid off and went under the broiler to toast crispy. Salsa had a blender run once thawed.

• cookebook
    3 years ago

My computer at work bit the dust so I had to get a new one. I had the worst time trying to get back into Houzz because I couldn't remember my password. Here are a few meals we've had lately. My sister-in-law made a very spicy shrimp boil.
    Another day we had grilled flounder with grilled onions, steamed veggies and a big salad.

Grilled pork chops, sauteed spinach and macaroni and cheese another day.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Nice looking meals, Cookebook!

Sleeve, lovely looking salads as always. Your chicken and potatoes look great!

Lynda, I made pad thai once, but the peanut butter was over-powering. Easy to fix, if I ever decide to make it again.

Neely, I love your sweet potato slices!

I felt like pasta, so the one-pot pasta meal to the rescue. If I have green beans, and I did have some that were wilty looking, they get thrown in, and baby spinach, since I don't have basil.

• shambo
    3 years ago

A victory, of sorts. I cooked chicken parts in my air fryer for the first time. They came out with crispy skin and were very juicy. It was an experiment I hoped would work because it’s so easy and fast. And it makes just the right amount. A whole chicken is too much for me now.

Not the greatest picture, and I had to test the thigh before I pronounced it good. But I’m pretty happy with the results and am looking forward to playing around with different rubs and spice blends.

Original Author
    3 years ago

A bit of pasta is the ultimate comfort food.

Like hearing about the air fryer successes. Not needed here with a small side door wall oven with a fan, at eye level,....but for smaller meals, heating up a big standing oven for a small amount seems wasteful in energy and time.

Storm Gorgonzola sliders. Might just beat out pasta as the ultimate comfort...and the chips. 😜

Welcome back cookbook!

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

I love your meal, Sleeve! (especially the chips!)

Do I need an air-fryer when my countertop cuisinart is convection? I keep telling myself that the convection does the same thing. A lot of people sure love their a/f though.

No potatoes tonite!! Patting myself on the back....

Simple sauteed cabbage, carrots and onions with garlic and red pepper flakes. A handful of baby spinach tossed in as well. Alongside my leftover pork chop with a quick gravy (meh).

Original Author
    3 years ago

No air-fryer needed. JMHO. Do not really need a fan. Any protein just needs to have a very dry surface/skin. Left uncovered in the fridge for at least 6 hours or overnight with or without a dry rub. I do this with chicken, steaks, burgers...no surface moisture equals crispy when seared in cast iron or baked. Fan/low heat for 15 minutes will do about the same thing.

Cabbage always surprises me how good it can be. So naturally sweet when cooked.

Cleaned out the crisper with a waiting veg box for the refill.

Meatless Thursday. Wild mushroom and wild rice/veg/bean/greens pasta. 3 cheese.

(beans I prepped for a Tunisian stew I'm making tomorrow)... used a few in the pasta. That is a newly discovered heirloom black garbanzo now grown in California. Tiny and nutty.

3 years ago

So many great meals!

Sleeve, That gorgonzola slider might just be my favorite of your meals so far - perfectly balanced with a fresh salad and home fries. I am also interested in your tomatillo salsa that is frozen. We have lots of excess tomatillos and jalapenos, both of which grow abundantly in the summer. Are you roasting them, and then freezing packages? Do the packages have everything in them (ie lime juice, cilantro) or are these added when you blend them or not at all?

Cookebook, Love your Louisana style shrimp boil. There was a restaurant here that served that. You would pick your protein mix and your spices and they would serve it family style in the middle of the table. It would be fun to try that at home.

Jasdip, That pasta looks great - my kind of comfort food. For pad Thai, I use ground peanuts versus peanut butter. I coarsely grind up ~1/2 cup peanuts and cook half of them in the dish and reserve the other half for a garnish. That way everyone can adjust the dish to their liking.

Shambo, Congrats on the air fryer success. We don't have one, but are considering it, so I would like to learn more about what they can do.

Work was really busy this week, so not much time for innovation in the kitchen. We have had whole chicken a couple of times, which pairs really well with long days working from home, as I can take a break to put it in the oven, continue working and still have dinner at a decent hour.

Last night we had our lamb skewers again. DH made a double batch of pita dough, which we froze into meal size portions in ziplock bags. I made the hummus, substituting key lime juice for the lemon juice, which turned out really well. As we move into spring, and I have both grape leaves and time, I am looking forward to making dolmas to go with this meal.

• shambo
    3 years ago

I think an air fryer is like a lot of kitchen small appliances. It can be useful depending on how you like to cook. I know it’s the latest trend, but that doesn’t mean it’s a necessity. Some people swear by it, just as some people swear by their Instant Pots.

I have found it useful in roasting vegetables like potatoes, turnips, parsnips, and carrots. It does a really good job reheating the frozen French toast that I mass produce for quick breakfasts. This was my first attempt at meat/chicken, and it was pretty good. I think it’d work well with fish, chops, and steaks too.

Jasdip, you do such a wonderful job with your slow cooker, cast iron skillet, and toaster oven already. I can’t think of anything that could improve your cooking.

Here’s what I had for lunch. A weird combo of cranberry bean & ham soup, stewed okra with tomatoes & bacon, and a super thick slice of homemade bread made with evaporated milk.

And tonight I made sauerkraut with potatoes & some sausage from a local butcher. I’m determined to use up some of the stuff in my pantry and freezer.

• neely
    3 years ago

Lovely to see your tasty meals shambo. The potatoes and sauerkraut would be gone in a flash in our house. Totally agree with what you said about Jasdip’s cooking... as evidenced by your pork chop and veg J. not meh at all.

Lynda, when I see your dinner table and food I want to sit down there and start eating, looks great.

Cookebook great meals, and I really like your blue and white plates.

Sleevendog, must confess that the word ‘sliders’ is relatively new term for me, say 5 - 7 years and only because pulled pork sliders became popular here. I don’t have a good backup feeling of what is a slider. So in this context I am assuming that you fold the other piece of bread on top of the other and eat it like that. However it is eaten it looks delicious.

Below we had ratatouille and fried chicken, but unfortunately a lot of the batter fell off.

Below was my first time cooking bought ramen noodles at home. They really are a good noodle so clean, and with the light broth made for a refreshing meal

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Neely, there's a very popular restaurant here, Ramen House or something like that, that makes delicious meals, like the one you just made. I should attempt one.

Lynda, that's such a colourful plate, with your lamb and peppers!! I love it.

Shambo, there's nothing better than home-made bread! Yours looks perfect.

THANK you for the kind compliments on my cooking, and versatility, and you reinforced my thought that I don't need another appliance taking up room. :-)

Sausage and kraut you say??? YES!

Original Author
    3 years ago

'Slider' just means 2-2.5 ounces. Tiny burgers on small buns. It is a catering term but also a pre-dinner Hors d'Oeuvres, or an event snack passed by servers.

I sear/prep 5 out of a pound of mince. The 5th is chopped into a 'dirty rice' salad. DH likes the other two for lunches. (meatloaf sliders).

Slider in NYC just means small. A first course shared with cocktails. We don't want a 20$ burger...just a mini. Many cocktail offerings tiny.

We like the taste/flavor without the 'bulk'. The supplier posted above caters many events and now supplies fancy folk needing, i'm guessing, their kitchen freezers for spoiled teens. Link, HERE

If I had fussy teens...I would stock some of these ^^delights.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Ok my friends, I'm pretty much at the point where I'm getting lonely. I would love to have a guy call and chat. It's so nice to hear a man's voice on the phone/have a guy to talk to and kibitz with.

Meanwhile here's tonight's dinner.

New sauce recipe for my drums. Hoisin, soy, honey, sesame oil. Super easy. I added sriracha sauce because it needs it. Baked at 400.

Used up the rest of my pasta. See the wine glass taking precedence? LOL

• neely
    3 years ago

Thanks for that explanation about sliders Sleeve. I had no idea it had something to do with size. Explains why the pulled pork sliders I’ve had were all small. I just thought it was the way that particular restaurant served them.

Jasdip, my heart so goes out to you. My mother always said the better the relationship, the worse was the loneliness. I know that sounds a truism but meant at a deep heart felt level. She remarried 3 years after my father died at 34 years old. You are doing so well with keeping your cooking so enthusiastic for yourself. These uncertain times of Covid don’t help either as I guess you would be more social if it weren’t for feeling one should stay at home more than normal. Friendship of the opposite kind is what’s needed.... hope you can work this out.

Our dinner last night.

I managed to cook this steak medium rare, the way I like it.

• annie1992
    3 years ago

OH, my, I'll never catch up! We lost our internet during the storm and when it came back, I was kicked out of Houzz, had to reload my browser, the phone still doesn't work! We got about 2 feet of snow, so we've been busily moving that anyway, and Mother is here so she keeps me busy.

What really jumped out at me was Cookebook's blue and white plates, they're lovely!

Jasdip, I kind of know the feeling, I was happily divorced for a while, then it got lonely doing everything alone. The girls grew up and had their own lives and then there was just me. I had no idea how to even start dating in my 50s, and wasn't really sure I wanted to anyway. And then, there was Elery, it sure took me a long time to get it right! As for the air fryer, I'm still pretty "eh" about it. It makes fried chicken really well, and I've roasted potato wedges successfully, but I really don't see a big difference between most items prepared in that and those prepared in the oven. (shrug)

Neely, perfect steak!

Shambo, I'm glad to see you back cooking, that sausage looks really good.

Sleevendog, black garbanzos? I never heard of those? And how were they? Do they taste like regular garbanzos?

Today it was cold, definitely soup day. I made a big pot of vegetable beef soup, one of those "clean out the refrigerator" pots of soup. Surprisingly, Mother ate a whole bowl, I was astounded. We had homemade bread with it, but I didn't take a picture, it really wasn't pretty, LOL.

This was Elery's shrimp and sausage, it was pretty good, I like shrimp very much.

I made burritos last night, didn't take a picture of those either, I'm definitely slipping!

I did take a picture of the fluffy "southwestern omelette" with green chilies, cheese and corn, we liked it a lot but it needed more chilies. Served with a quick pickle made with that baby head of red cabbage from Misfits, but it was too sour for either of us to eat, even as a condiment on sandwiches, I've definitely got to work on that recipe! Broccoli was also from Misfits:

I panfried a new-to-me fish, rockfish from the Alaskan seafood box. It was very good, reminded me of walleye, I'd definitely get that again. Served with homecanned Purple Dragon carrots glazed with some Habanero Gold along with a cold salad of peas and peanuts:

Elery made some potstickers the night I went to pick Mother up, also very good with some of that sweet dark soy sauce for me, Sriracha for Elery.

And so, I guess I'm caught up. I got my new Misfits box, and so I have some beets, some leaf lettuce, some onions, a head of cabbage. We'll see if I get creative or just roast the beets and saute the cabbage, the way Elery and Mother both like it...

Annie

• annie1992
    3 years ago

OK, I'll add some more! Here is the cinnamon roll belonging to The Princess, well frosted!

I got the Misfits box:

I made the world's healthiest blueberry coffee cake, with whole wheat flour, fresh blueberries, a tiny bit of sugar, no butter. Used up 4 eggs, but the effort was unanimously condemned, and 3/4 of it is still left, even the dog won't eat it. It'll become healthy chicken food, I guess, Mother wouldn't even eat it with glaze on it!

And then Elery decided he needed to experiment and make some gyro meat. We had no lamb, of course, so he used half pork and half beef, then made a tower of pans and cans to press it into the required shape, cooled overnight and then sliced. We'll eat it in pita bread with some tzatziki, but he forgot to salt it and so it's a little bland. The texture is right though, so it's a step..

And tonight Mother wants lasagna, so maybe she'll actually eat it for a change...

Annie

Original Author
    3 years ago

"OK, I'll add some more!."

lol Annie. Yup, we are running on whatever seems good and change daily...last night had a few choices but went to ye olde' reliable favorite frittata. We went two weeks without eggs, then three dozen and did not use any for a week, lol.

(don't tell me I can't have what I want). I've not had GrapeNuts in 25 years...now they are unavailable I want it. 😂 Dads favorite he hid from us. It was considered 'expensive' and not for children.

Good veg box. I don't want fruit. I want veg and greens with so much garden fruit frozen. Love this recent box.

Original Author
    3 years ago

I went overboard, maybe, on the add-ons. (?). Nah. Just some good treats. Two weeks, every other week, of good treats.

• annie1992
    3 years ago

I also try to limit the "add ons". Sometimes I'm successful. This last time I bought popcorn, a snack we have often but I try to avoid those expensive microwaveable bags. Popcorn is something like $2 a silo full, LOL, so I don't want to pay extra for all that packaging! I make it in an old Twirly Pop, so I got popcorn...

Elery eats a lot of apples and I don't have any citrus frozen, so I try to limit the fruit to apples and citrus.

Annie

Original Author
    3 years ago

I use the WhirlyPop. Yup very twirly, lol. Works like a charm.

Happy National Pizza Day. (I had no idea but never follow that stuff anywho)

A day ahead but it was good. My sister made a sprouted spelt naan type bread, (her husband is muslim and doing residency in a covid ward....long hours). That is her trio delivering to him in bed it appears) Both vaccinated. Mom and Dad still not able to get an appointment....just wrote Joe Biden, MrPresident, an e-mail. (met him many times over the years being from Delaware)

Made six quick weeknight pizzas. Various toppings. Leek, wild mushroom, olive, cherry toms, prosciutto, three cheese. DH took one to work for lunch...smoked salmon, anchovy, etc. Folded, cut, and froze the rest.

-The black garbanzos are tiny and nutty. Really good.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh, just the usual 'internet generated response'....🙄

• shambo
    3 years ago

After weeks of thinking about it, I finally fixed Canary Bird’s, Sharon CB’s, recipe for braised red cabbage. I’ve been making it for years because it’s so tasty. Sharon’s original recipe didn’t call for bacon, but every once in a while, I add some for good measure. It makes a lot, but that’s OK with me. I love the stuff and eat huge helpings.

3 years ago

We haven't made this one for awhile, but it is a favorite.

Pork satay with saffron basmati and my favorite peanut sauce.

This one was a bit of a miss. I was trying to use up some canned salmon, so I made salmon cakes. Sauce was sour cream with lemon and dill and the side was mixed rice with red russian kale. This same one plant from last spring has provided us with kale, once or twice a week for almost a year.

This was really good (and easy!). I SV'd frozen salmon, put some sticky rice in the rice maker and made a spicy teriyaki sauce by adding red pepper flakes to my recipe. When the rice maker showed 10 minutes left, I diced and stir fried the bok choy, and pan seared the salmon in some of the sauce.

Original Author
    3 years ago

....I just started the new thread....we hit 100 posts.

Salmon cakes joined our rotation just this past year. Not sure why it did not appeal to us before....love them!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor