What's For Dinner #389....2021

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Good timing. The New Year edition...

Smoked Salmon/anchovy pasta....burnt sourdough bruschetta.

SaveComment53Like
Comments (53)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Last night, Smoked Salmon Corn Chowder.

Just un-packed the local farm share delivery. Ordered extra bones and paws/feets/necks for stock....soup season.

Save    
neely

Yum Sleevendog, all sounds and looks delicious. Smoked salmon, anchovy pasta, the bruschetta then the chowder, all very appealing to me.

One lunch was a left over beef and goats cheese salad.

As the weather has been cooler, I was happy to take a stew out of the freezer, add more carrots and eaten with a spoon.

Save    
Lynda (Zn9b/23 - Central CA Coast)

A new thread for a new year!

We are back to work/school which means back to our regular, mid week, meals. Last night was parmesan crusted tilapia with homemade tartar sauce, farro and asparagus.

Over the holidays I made peppermint stick ice cream, which was always my favorite as a child. It was my first time making it and it was way too pepperminty and bright pink. DH figured out that if you pair one scoop of peppermint to one scoop of vanilla, it tones down the peppermint taste and is quite good. So for dessert we had toned down peppermint stick ice cream.

Save    
dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

You guys can prove that you don't need fancy ingredients to make delicious meals.

---------------------------------------

Today's dinner is an international dish.

Korean garak-guksu noodles, Argintina red shrimps, Americaan carrots, Chinese cauliflower, garnished with Japanese Okahijiki.

dcarch

Save    

The NewYear to hope really starts on 20th. It will be a long road to travel but not the dead end we have endured. Sad way to start the day. Was up early watching the Georgia election at 4am when two EMT's went up our road and stopped in front of a neighbors. No siren, just lights. Sad to see. We never had a chance to meet them having just moved in last march 2020.

DH has been on daily texts with a friend that is just getting out of bed after 2 weeks sleeping 16 hours a day. He is on the mend but struggling with movement.

The salad with beef is gorgeous. Just un-packed veg box delivery. Chose/focused on salad ingredients. Still using up last delivery two weeks ago, so we are stuffed with choices.

Last night, Smoked Pork Miso Noodle Bowl. Wild rice. Forgot to plate the marinated eggs but DH had one for dessert.

Save    
wintercat_gw

Neely, I've noticed matza in several of your photos of late. Why oh why? Many members of the Chewish People, myself included, stock up on bread ahead of Passsver here in Israel, where supermarkets go all kosher on us. Anything to avoid the desert-dry tasteless matza. Has research shown matza scares covid away?

Save    
plllog

LOL! Stores here in the USA stock matzah year round (after Passover it's labelled as not for the holiday, so not technically matzah, but even so...). I use it year round for bread crumbs, though I'm usually using it up. A five box sleeve costs a lot less than a single box. Many people who aren't Jewish find it a pleasant salt-free bread substitute. We get Yehuda brand from Israel, which has superior flavor, but the two major American brands are softer than most Israeli matzah that I've tried. I’m a bit boggled by the idea of a country stocking up on bread....

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

jc ... is that a decent sub for panko?

Save    
agmss15

I grew a bumper crop of Fenugreek (methi) microgreens and then wasn’t quite sure what to do with them. They have a fairly strong flavor. After a wander through an Indian cookbook I came up with Aloo Methi. The ‘aloo’ being potatoes from my garden. The photo was taken a little early. After adding the methi I cooked the dish on low for another 15 minute.

Quite delicious with a salad, pickled radish, yogurt and a hard boiled egg...

If you never use Fenugreek seeds - they smell like maple syrup.

Save    

dcarch Love your dish and the plating is beautiful.

agmss15, What an interesting dish. I had never heard of it, but it looks delicious.

WFD tonight was Thai green curry chicken over jasmine rice. We used the green curry paste we made earlier in the year with SV chicken breast, bell pepper, onion and our home grown chard. I've never loved curries, but tonight's meal might change my mind. It was amazing.

Save    
annie1992

Happy 2021, everyone, may it be a happier, healthier and more peaceful for everyone.

Lynda, the curry looks good, I'm trying to "teach" myself to like curry. Mine just keeps getting milder and milder, LOL.

dcarch, that second picture looks kind of like one of those paper Japanese fans, folded out and the carrot is the handle!

Sleevendog, your chowder sounds really good, I don't have smoked salmon, but I could just "just plain old" salmon, I think. It's definitely soup weather here now.

Neely, your stew looks good too, nie and thick and hearty, something to warm the tummy when it's cold and snowy.

agmss, I have fenugreek seeds, although I only have a couple of recipes that use them. I've never noticed the maple aroma, though, now I'm going to have to go sniff them!

Here I got my latest Misfits box and it was a nice one. Two heads of Bibb type lettuce, one big head of Napa, some red kale, a big golden beet, lemons and limes, one grapefruit, two Cara Cara oranges, one kind of small zucchini, 3 jalapenos, two Gala apples, a small mango from Peru. Add ons were a bottle of Napa Valley olive oil and a pound of quinoa. I promptly forgave them for the moldy green beans in the last box and Elery is busily planning a big batch of kim chee with the Napa:

Elery wanted pork chops and some of our homemade sauerkraut, so he made them in the smallest Nesco Roaster while I made a big sheet pan of roasted vegetables using parsnips, carrots and the golden beet from the Misfits box:

I presalted and high heat roasted a small Sirloin Tip roast, following instructions by AnnT. Sides were butternut squash from our backroom storage, Waldorf salad with one of those Misfits apples and some broccoli left from Mother's quiche. The roast was good, although the picture makes it look more done than it was. It's gone now, Amanda came over with some forms she needed copies and "tasted" the leftovers, then promptly ate them. She said that the one thing she always misses now she's "grown up" is my cooking, LOL.

We picked up beef today and spent several hours unpacking, re-arranging freezers, we delivered some to Amanda. Now my freezer looks like this!

I was tired and so we just had burgers for supper, with some of the lettuce from the Misfits box as one of the "condiments". Homemade buns would have been better but I was tired and out of time, so store bought ones had to suffice.

Earlier this week I had to do Mother's cooking, so I made her a batch of potato soup, some broccoli and cheese "mini" quiche and chicken noodle casserole that I forgot to take a picture of> Then I made a batch of fresh homemade donuts. Half got rolled in sugar while they were still hot.

Used my high tech handy-dandy deep fryer, LOL:

While re-arranging to find space for beef, we removed a corned beef brisket, flat cut, that was at least a year old, so that is thawing in the refrigerator so Elery can make pastrami, and a couple of rolls of sausage are thawing because there just was no room left. We invited Dave and the kids over for breakfast but Makayla has to work and Dave has to pick up some parts, so now I have to decide what to do with that thawed breakfast sausage...

Annie

1 Like Save    
neely

One of my fav meals Lynda. Agmss15 strange about the seeds smelling like maple syrup.... your dish looks good.

Hah Wintercat about the Matzah... I just like it perhaps from having a Jewish Auntie and going to their place when I was young. Supermarkets here pilllog, also stock it all year round. I bought this packet for Boxing Day smoked salmon, as I wanted something light and crunchy. Now just having it with some meals to finish the box.

Noodle bowl looks delish Sleevendog likewise dcarch. The Chinese cauliflower looks more open with longer florets than the usual??

For us...Chicken Parma buried under a pile of red peppers with green beans on the side.

Oh just posted and see Annie has posted since I started writing. Love your pork chops and sauerkraut and the burger looks yum. The Misfits box must be good to kick off thoughts about what to cook. Pea green about your full freezer. Lol.

Save    
Jasdip

I'm afraid there are too many posts for me to comment on, but Annie, I sure don't envy you having to rifle through your freezer to find a particular cut of meat that you want! I think you're best to start eating whatever it is, from the top down :-)

I'm a wreck....Roxie is sick with possibly an ulcer. The vets aren't completely sure that's what is wrong, but we're treating it as such. Her white blood count is low and they ruled out leukemia thank heavens. But she doesn't want to eat at all, so I'm shoving food in her mouth, which she promptly spits out over me, the floor, the table, herself......she's bedraggled. Her mane is dirty, her paws. I wear an apron but she still gets the food inside my apron.

I was looking for her earlier today and she was laying on the bed, but licking her lips. I quickly picked her up and carried her to the bathroom where she promptly vomited. Thank god I got her when I did.

So that, and installing a program onto my tv, my day got away from me, so pasta to the rescue.

And Roxie, just because. Of course, Bud, the house-pig always comes looking for food every time she gets fed (which is more often than he does). Keeping one on my lap and one away is a battle. :-)

Save    
annie1992

Oh, Jasdip, I hope Roxie gets better fast, it's terrible to have a pet who is ill and you feel helpless to help them.

I'm not very happy right now either, Elery found my new calf dead this morning. (sigh) It happens, farmers lose calves and never know why, but it upsets me and makes me sad. He was big, was eating well, Mama Cow even moved him into the barn to keep him out of the weather when the nights got down into the teens. She is a good, attentive, experienced mother. But he never seemed quite "right", didn't move around as much as I expected he should, although he got from the hayfeeder to the barn and back. So, I'm not surprised, but I'm still sad.

Neely, the more peppers the better, in my opinion.

Here Elery was making pastrami, but the weather was just cold enough to slow down the smoker and it wasn't ready on time for supper. Too bad, I made some multigrain bread to go with it, a mix of whole wheat, rye and oats:

We'll have the pastrami tomorrow (well, that would be today now), and instead I made some corn waffles with green chilies and cheese, topped with eggs:

I had a visitor come and say hello through the window, my "pet" deer has survived hunting season, which made me smile a little. She gets right next to the window, about a foot from my computer, so I can always tell from her markings that it's her:

I'm thinking maybe some chili would be good with the rest of the waffles, maybe Monday, if we have the pastrami tomorrow...

Annie

1 Like Save    

Annie, that is heartbreaking. I am so sorry. We were all so excited when he was born. I know it comes with the territory, but it is still very sad.

Save    
wintercat_gw

Jasdip, repeated vomiting leads to irreversible damage. Is it caused by the forced feeding of the cat? I wouldn't force feed a sick animal unless expressly advised to do so by the vet. Is the force feeding part of the treatment plan?

Save    
Jasdip

Winter cat, cats can't go longer than 24 hours without eating, unlike dogs who will often self-fast. I told the vet I'm putting food in her and they gave me a feeding syringe to make it easier. I'm doing both as she doesn't like the syringe either. Her mouth is so tiny, no cheeks of to squeeze the food in, so it goes all over the side of her face and neck.

I'm wondering if Prednisone might help with the vomiting but it needs to be taken with food, and therein is the issue.

Annie how horrible. I feel awful for you. It's all part of farming I know, but devastating nonetheless. And of course when you share your photos with us we all have an interest, and he was adorable.

Save    
wintercat_gw

Jasdip, cats can go without food for days:

https://www.tuxedo-cat.co.uk/how-long-can-cats-go-without-food/

I've known cats fast for 4-5 days - my own cats - when sick, and the fasting was how they coped with the illness.

Is the vet aware of the repeated vomiting? Such vomiting - the acid - will permanently damage the cat's esophagus.

IV drip feeding is better than force feeding orally in such a case.

Save    
neely

Sorry to hear about your cat Jasdip, trust all will be well again soon.. And Annie what an unpleasant suprise but I guess you had a feeling all was not quite right.

Pasta to the rescue indeed... with lamb and beets.

Save    
Jasdip

Oh, I love that pasta, Neely

Save    

Neely, that is a beautiful pasta and you know how I love lamb.

Jadsip, I am so sorry to hear about your cat. We once nursed a sick dog back to health using baby food (gerbers pureed turkey). She wouldn't eat and the vet was pressuring us to have her put down, but our gut said it wasn't her time. I don't know if it will help in your case, but I wanted to suggest it.

Yesterday, I made three batches of Thai green curry paste using up a good chunk of our excess Kaffir/Makrut limes. We used our homegrown limes and lemon grass, and used store bought ginger, garlic, cilantro, Thai basil, Thai peppers and shallots, which we grow but didn't have sufficient quantities or it was off season. I kept some of the paste for fresh and froze the rest in ice cube trays. This is another one of those things that I don't know why I used to buy it when it is just so much better homemade.

We planted our Kaffir/Makrut lime tree for the leaves, which are used in so many asian dishes, but also get a ton of fruit. Other than curry paste I haven't found too many uses for the fruit.

Lemongrass grows year round. It is low maintenance and very useful. We leave it growing until we are ready to use it and then snip at the base.

The limes I have left to use. They turn this day glow yellow when they are very ripe.

Save    
cookebook

Shrimp Creole on a cold, snowy day in central Texas, believe it or not.

Another meal was grilled salmon with potato patties, steamed broccoli and an avocado salad with olives and tomatoes.

Save    
Jasdip

Lynda, I love your explanations of the things you grow. Who knew.....well we all do now!.....that certain limes turn yellow!!

And thanks for the tip on the baby food. I'll be sure to pick some up. She's still not eating worth a sh*t. I spoke to the vet yesterday and they want her to eat a can of food/day, which she is far from doing.

Save    
neely

Cookebook, delicious looking shrimp and your salmon meal I would like to be eating.

Interesting for me to see your limes and lemon grass Lynda as I think our climates would be similar. I do know about the leaves as you can buy them but can you use the Kaffir limes as you would an ordinary lime? Is there not much juice in them.? ....still if they are quite prolific then I guess you could use a couple. Or do they not taste like an ordinary lime? Sorry for the lime inquisition but I would like to grow one or the other but can’t decide which. That lemon grass looks like it’s growing well and keeping it in a pot is ideal.

Dinner was a Chicken Korma made from scratch plus the obligatory green beans. Dried chilli for heat plus a good squirt of sriracha for extra oomph. Still quite yellow looking from the turmeric. I have had or rather bought, quite orange looking Korma. More tomato paste and less turmeric I guess.

1 Like Save    

@neely We have similar taste in food, so I think a kaffir lime would be a good fit for you. We grow four types of limes (key, persian, sweet, and kaffir) and use different limes for different things.
The kaffir fruit taste like a lime, but has a stronger and more asian flavor. They are ideal in pad thai, tom yum soup, any type of curry and asian stir frys. They are not an 'all purpose' lime, the way my other varieties are. The flavor is too strong and distinctly asian for baking, Mexican dishes or cocktails.

My issue is more one of abundance. We really wanted a kaffir lime and went to our local nursery to inquire. They took the order, but couldn't promise that they could find one. In the interim, we were in Home Depot and I saw this large healthy, unmarked tree on clearance. I recognized the leaves as kaffir and we bought it. It was 6 foot tall and probably 5 years old at the time. We planted it and it began producing right away. Then, we got a call from the nursery, happy to tell us that they had finally obtained one for us. That one cost us 3 times as much and was only a foot tall, but was the right thing to do as they went through a lot of trouble for us. So, we ended up with two, which are now both producing significant amounts of fruit. One would have been perfect.

@Jasdip All of our lime varieties turn yellow when they are ripe. Grocery stores sell unripe limes to extend the shelf life. The practice was so common that we have come to expect a lime to be green. I never realized that until I started growing them.

@cookebook Your shrimp creole looks great, especially on a cold day.

1 Like Save    

Nothing pleases me more than home grown fruit/veg/herb/gardens/trial runs to explore...and those that share and succeed. My indoor Meyer lemon is now about ten yrs old? Flowering for about 6 weeks now. No need for fresh flowers as the scent is heavenly. Just inside my kitchen door. I pollinate by hand every few days.

Pets we love in health distress is the most devastating. I have been stoic many times all day at work, then break down in sobs just one mile from home. Not knowing what I will find at home being elder or sick pets.

My micro tomatoes are fruiting.

Comfort season for northern climates. I think I did better this time last year for soups and noodle bowls so I will revisit those months. The beauty of a simple cell phone photo is past creations/recipe choices.

My local meat share and my Misfit last week....

Covid year2020 has been better than expected and with all the stress we have cooking challenges welcomed. Finding local farms, combined with my harvest, and using all produce efficiently. Enjoy all we have and use all the best we can with out waste. No time for delicate specific recipe ingredients not easily found.

Save    
neely

Lynda, thanks for your thoughtful reply. And Yes a Kaffir lime is going to be the best fit for me. We do cook a lot of Asian type meals and when I need an ordinary lime for Mexican I can buy one as I do now. Although the Kaffir leaves are available to buy, I have never seen the actual fruit for sale, nor do I know someone with a tree. Oh to be so lucky to find a 6 ft 5 year old tree.

Also on the food growing topic, I am happy to announce that currently I am the proud owner of three developing tomatillos( (the fruit) So excited for when I eventually get to taste. I have grown and nurtured these plants from seed having lost the lot last year. AnneT piqued my interest a couple of years ago after mentioning using them in a Salsa Verde. Our usual Salsa Verde doesn’t include them.

Sleeve, your words about food in general last year and this year resonated wholeheartedly with me. Lovely lot of Swiss chard/ Silverbeet.

Dinner was salmon ( not crispy skin ) sweet potato and salad with a few hokkien noodles.

Save    

Pretty pic.

I plan to make spring rolls at least once a week going forward to Spring. I've forgotten how quick and easy when rolling just a few and enough for next day lunches.

And the always in rotation frittata...

Save    

This was good last week, maybe Friday?. With salad, marinated egg, and extra grain mix, it made good early week lunches.

I did three 1 pound grass fed beef packages sous vide. This was sirloin so I did the 'ragu' or whatever It could be called. Name not important. Being sirloin, I added it late, after a 20 minute high heat oven roast.

Looking up different meat cuts and adapting to the meal recipe need.

Toss in some olives, leeks, ...whatever needs using up in the crisper. We both loved it. Win-win.

Quart in freezer, 2 lunches with salad.

Save    
Jasdip

That chard/bok choy looks incredible Sleeve! All of your meals, fritatta, spring rolls, ragu look so good!

Beautiful salmon, Neely!

Our limes in stores are under-ripe, Lynda? Wow. Will they ripen off of the tree? If I leave one out will it turn yellow?

Save    

@sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA) @annie1992 Between the two of you, I have freezer envy! How wonderful to have so many great cuts waiting for you in the freezer.

@sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA) Love the spring rolls - they look yummy.

@neely Yaay for tomatillos. They are a must grow for me and should be perfect in your climate.

WFD last night was our tried and true lamb skewers. We start them in the oven and finish outside on the bbq. The only downside of this meal is that we squabble over the pita as there is never enough.

Save    

Lamb is a love here. I have a couple racks for the near future.

I photo as deliveries are received. I can plan meals via photo. As well as the veg box.

In the oven is beef shank, mixed grain on the stove, and roasty veg/potato/soon to be Brussel sprouts at the final moments...

Grass feed local beef suppliers have been a delight trying new things. Way out of our comfort zone but do like the challenge.

I just research each beef/protein cut as I plan the meal. Shanks are in the oven now low and slow....

Save    
nancyjane_gardener

Jasdip, so sorry for your kitty!

I had a pup one time who scooped up an aspirin that fell to the floor and was so sick he was close to going into renal failure.

He didn't eat for days until the vet suggested cooked chicken and rice buzzed up in a food processer! If it was too dense, add chicken broth.

Worked like a charm! He started eating like a champ (in fact we had to limit the amounts so he wouldn't over eat!)

Something to try. Chicken, fish. Good luck!

Save    
Jasdip

Gorgeous meals and misfits!

I said "Goodbye" to my Roxie today. I had several lengthy conversations with the vet (she's been there since Wed getting hydrated).

They blood again today in preparation for other temporary measures and saw that it was very weak and watery and wouldn't coagulate. He's sure she has cancer in her stomach lining.

Since the meat was thawed I kept on with my dinner plans; deviled pork chops courtesy of ATK. Baked low and slow; very tender and juicy. The angle shows much more rice than the meat and veggies, but that wasn't the case LOL

Save    
neely

Sorry to hear about Roxie Jasdip. Such a pretty little cat.

Lamb Lynda and beef Sleevendog, both so good.

Homemade honey soy pork ribs and noodle salad with own pickled red onions. I was slicing and chopping getting food ready when DH called out ‘what Are you doing in there’.... even salads do take a while to prepare don’t they....looking at you Sleevendog, but worth it.

Save    

😂. I heard that a few times yesterday. It rained heavily all Friday night into mid-morning. I had all the loud guns out lining the countertop. Spice grinder, citrus juicer, veg juicer, blender...made spice blends, immune boost freezer pops...and still not done.

DH wanted the rest of the shanks for dinner. The 'gravy'/sauce was so good. Added a bit of pasta and leek/chard sauté. Can't believe how well the chard, delivered 10 days ago, held up and so fresh still. Even the cilantro garnish held up better than ever.

Save    

@Jasdip I am so sorry to hear that. It is never easy and I hope you are ok.

@neely Your ribs look tasty.

Save    
Jasdip

Thank you for your condolences. She is missed :-(

Chicken Cacciatore tonight.

Save    
annie1992

Oh, Jasdip, I'm so sorry to hear about Roxie. I know how empty that space is, and I'm glad that you at least have your other cat to keep you company. It's sure hard to lose them. (sigh)

sleevendog, I have a stack of beef shanks, my butcher labeled them "soup bones", LOL. They do make good soup and I love beef/vegetable soupbut your ragu would be a nice change here. And you also remind me that I still have a small bundle of red kale to be used from the Misfits box. Not enough to saute as a side dish, but I need to put them in something.

All those salmon pictures, though, remind me that I have salmon in the freezer. I was going to make some today, but Elery wanted black bean burritos, so we had those. No pictures, they weren't pretty but they did taste good.

Neely, those ribs do look good, but your salmon and sweet potatoes really call to me, I really like sweet potatoes and the chicken korma looks perfect.

Cookebook, a cold and snowy day in Texas? break out the hot chocolate and make a snow angel, quick, while it lasts! Your shrimp looks especially good, and we're back to that salmon.

Lynda, that would be a perfect meal for Elery and I. He could have the lamb and I'd eat the pita! (grin) Not much grilling going on here, though, it's in the 20s and snowy and the extra stall of the garage is full of pellets for the stove, so that wouldn't be a good place to grill, LOL. You make me think that I should try growing a pot of lemon grass in the entryway next to Seymour, the man-eating aloe, but it would be displaced when I had to use that space for my garden starts. Right now, though, this is the view out my front window:

Here we've been eating well. Those black bean burritos today, and yesterday I high heat roasted a sirloin tip roast ala AnnT. Amanda and Dave came for supper with the kids. The Princess just got braces on Thursday, so I was trying to find mostly soft food. I made macaroni and cheese for her and baked some nice "soft and squishy" dinner rolls. Home canned green beans and some baked beans and a gluten free chocolate pound cake made with oat flour. I sliced the roast really thinly on the slicer for The Princess and roasted it to medium rare:

Other meals included swedish meatballs, my Mother said she "used to" like them but can't remember whether she still does, so I made some. If she doesn't like them, the kids will happily eat them, so I made 5 pounds of them and packaged them for the freezer:

I made Mother her favorite cinnamon rolls:

Elery made some pastrami and I baked rye bread for sandwiches which we had with some chili. I put lots of vegetables in my chili, and yes, I know it's not "right", but that's how I like it.

The chili was good for a couple of meals, it's always better after a couple of days so the leftovers are better than the original, IMO.

I made another loaf with the rest of the rye loaf and added dried cranberries and pecans:

Made a salad with some nicely rare Porterhouse:

Elery made some turkey wings with balsamic brussels sprouts and some Italian horticultural beans from last summer's garden:

And Houzz won't let me post any more pictures, so this will be continued...

Annie

3 Likes Save    
annie1992

OK, lets see if I can finish:

I brined a home raised chicken and roasted it for an hour at 450F. It was perfectly done and even the breast is moist, although I had a thigh, my preferred portion. I took a butternut squash from storage and some asparagus from the freezer and stuck it in the oven with the chicken, never bake an orphan you know!

Another meal was a chicken breast cutlet and some more of the squash, one always makes a couple of meals, they are large.

And so, with that, I think I've caught up!

Annie

1 Like Save    
yeonassky

Jasdip just wanted to see how sorry I am about your Roxie. Such a sweet looking Kitty.

Lovely meals everyone! I admire your photogenic food. Mine is not although it is usually tasty enough for my palate and DH's anyway.

Save    
cookebook

We had beef stew over the weekend. Luckily I had saved some of the juices from the Christmas rib roast and added them. It sure was good.

1 Like Save    
annie1992

Ooh, pretty picture, cookebook, those vegetables colors just pop right out. IT looks delicious too...

Annie

1 Like Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Last night had some lovely chicken and dumplings a kind neighbor brought over. Had a slice of nice dark pumpernickel buttered bread with it. Good, good, good.

Save    

Beautiful stew cookebook

Annie, I can not wrap my head around 20 degree, white out conditions having never lived anywhere with snow. I can imagine it is definitely soup & stew weather. I would be staying home and cooking. Our conditions couldn't be more different - we've had several days of 80 degree weather. Some of our coastal areas have hit all time highs. This is from our walk today.

Dinner last night, was sous vide salmon over cous cous, with a lemon bure blanc sauce. It was good, but not great. I think It would be improved with more of a sear on the salmon. I continue experimenting with SV, one surprise is how useful it has been in making individual desserts in mason jars. So far I have made mini crème Brule, chocolate pots de crème, key lime pies and cheesecakes. They were all hits, especially with DS.

Save    

2 Likes Save    
annie1992

Lynda, our weather actually has been amazingly temperate for this time of year, getting above freezing many days. We're going to have a cold spell this weekend, with lows down around 5 or 6 and it's not unusual to be 10 below zero at night during January. That wasn't really a white out, because you can still see the trees. With a true blizzard, the winds are at least 35 MPH for at least 3 hours, with snow. Then it's just white, you can't see what's a foot in front of you. Thankfully, although we get some significant snowstorms, we seldom get those white out conditions, which make driving dangerous.

Being a true Michigan girl, anything over 80 is just too darned hot for me, I'm uncomfortable. I always tell people that I can always put more clothes on when it's cold, but there's only so much that can come off when it's hot, LOL. Your scenery is lovely, though, nearly as nice at that picture of chicken!

Here we had fish tacos, take out from a local restaurant. I was at Mother's, delivering food and trying to convince her that she needs a COVID shot when they are available again. Elery picked them up when he went to town to pick up Molly's meds and I forgot to take pictures. Again.

Annie

Save    
Jasdip

OMG, I could never live in a hot state. Our summers (Ontario) are getting hotter and hotter and I despise them. Give me winter every time.

^^^^Annie's post is me as well.

We're getting that polar vortex cold this week too, Annie. We had a lovely bunch of snow over Christmas then it all disappeared and got some again yesterday. High of -8C today feeling like -12C (10F)

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

I like all of the seasons that we have here in the central plains. If it weren't for hot weather ( 80s to mid 90s) the lakes would never warm up enough to enjoy swimming, tubing, and jet skiing. Here, our winters are only a few months long and just like Annie's so far this winter has been pretty mild.

Back on topic, tomorrow I'm going to make 3 batches of Neapolitan style pizza dough to take to a Chiefs vs. Bills watch party on Sunday. 3 batches will make twelve 12" pizzas. I still need to pick up more pizza sauce, cheese, and toppings later this week.

Save    

Annie, I am with you on the heat. I would always rather be too cool than too hot.

Lone Jack, your pizzas sound great. I am sure they will be appreciated.

WFD tonight was shrimp scampi over couscous with parsley and shallots.

Save    

I like the 4 seasons. Mild winter so far. Still cold but days are 40-45º. Hit 50º last week. 10 day forecast seems similar.

Just added shrimp to my shopping cart. Yum.

Lynda, are you keeping notes on your jar treats? When I started researching, the temps and times are all over the place. I want to try a few and also the eggs.

Last night, Ham and White bean. Nigel Slater's Quick Pickled Slaw. (started following on instagram...he writes for UKtheGuardian.)

Save    

Smoked a couple salmon filets Sunday, (two 4oz), and cheddar, and some tomatillo salsa...and some salt. Whatever we could think of while it was running. Experimenting, we put all in partially frozen for 30-45 minutes. Excellent salmon.

Hand rolls for a light dinner and extras for lunches, then a smoked salmon chowder, then crispy salmon cakes. Tacos tonight...smoked salsa.

Save    
neely

I am way behind, and everything looks delicious.

The discussion about temperatures is interesting. I think we all don’t like excessively high temps. We have a run of about 4 days twice a summer when it is unbearably hot. We hunker down inside with aircon and ride it out much like you would do during the opposite. Water the garden early morning and cover plants that will burn in the heat.

Here are a few meals we’ve been having.

Corned beef with mustard sauce

Salad with corned beef, has lentils and quinoa with onion relish on the side

DH said he didn’t want an apple crumble. I figured out he wanted something more stable like a slice. So here is my invention, although I’m sure someone else has done the same. Anyway this pie or slice has short crust pastry on the bottom and sides ( pre baked ) with apple and cinnamon and a Bakewell tart (English) topping ( no flour just ground almonds). Dollop of cream to serve.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Trending Now 36 Home Design Trends Ready for Takeoff in 2021
Bye-bye, 2020! Here are the materials, colors and ideas we think will give a fresh, hopeful start to the new year
Full Story
Life 8 Home Projects Perfect for Holiday Downtime
Start the new year on the right foot by using some free time now to organize, store and clean
Full Story
Kitchen Design Have Your Open Kitchen and Close It Off Too
Get the best of both worlds with a kitchen that can hide or be in plain sight, thanks to doors, curtains and savvy design
Full Story