SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Remote grief support ideas, including food . . .

l pinkmountain
3 years ago

Just learned of my fourth close family friend who died of covid yesterday. She was in a memory care center. She was 89 and in poor health, so something like this was sort of inevitable, but covid just made it so difficult for her family to support her at the end due to restricted visitation, and now difficult for us to support them in their grief. It is a Jewish custom to "sit shiva' with a family after the death of a loved one, shiva being the word for mourning, and the idea of "sitting" is that the family is allowed to rest during their time of grief and people from the community come to their home to help with housework and most importantly, FEEDING the family, and also praying with them. When my mother died, this person and her family were there shortly after, even though they lived two hours away, bringing food of course. And now in reverse, I can't get there, at least easily and right away, as I have my own Dad to worry about, but do want to send food. Any ideas? I don't want to send a lot of sweets and fancy good, i want to send plain, simple everyday foods, but something comforting.

Comments (23)