SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
psyohe

Bathroom shower wall codes...no wonder people use the wrong stuff!

Peke
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I have been researching Kerdi, concrete backer board, Hydroban, Wedi, Redguard and other liquid membranes for my walls around my tub.

Today, I looked at the Residential building codes that Oklahoma uses (2015). Yeah, we are a few years behind in this state! Here is what I found.

No wonder people get confused...

R 307.1

Non absorbent surface.....not specified because new products come out too often. Very vague.

R 702.4.2

Backer boards for ceramic tile. Great! They listed them, but I only know what one of those means.

So, for Kerdi panels, Hydroban panels, and Wedi panels, which ones correlate to the ones listed in chart R702.4.2? I don't think they are glass-mat gypsum, fiber reinforced gypsum, or fiber cement.

R 702.3.7

This one I know, but everyone says to NOT use it for shower walls. Okay to use it for shower ceilings.

It doesn't say whether you can or cannot use them for the walls. (Even with a waterproof membrane painted on.)

R 702.3.7.1

"Limitations" says water-resistant gypsum shall not be used where there will be "direct exposure" to water or "continuous high humidity"

Bathrooms do not have continuous high humidity. We also have bathroom vents.

Since tile is on the shower wall, the gypsum does not have direct exposure to water.

P2710 says go back to R 307.2......

What about the boards listed below? Can they be used with a paint on membrane?

No wonder shower walls are so confusing!

So, why can we use products like Kerdi boards, Hydroban boards, and Wedi boards? What are they made of?

Thanks.

Comments (16)