SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Valance and shower curtain fabrics for bathroom

User
14 years ago

I'm strongly considering moving my bathroom stuff (valance, shower curtain and towels..) to my master bathroom. I like the valance still but I have a lot of red in my house and with this being all burgundy I think I'm going to switch it.

I love this fabric. Just love it. I've been considering making a valance My3dog style. Maybe adding some red fringe trim.

{{!gwi}}

What would you do about a shower curtain? I can sew the valances mention above and pillows but that's about it. My aunt's friend is making me stool cushions for my kitchen and she would have no problem sewing together a curtain but ... I don't know. I guess I'd need to talk with her about the top part of the shower curtain. She makes all kinds of clothes and stuff so I'm sure she is capable. I think it would look better to have a tall curtain made and raise the shower rod up.

What about this fabric to coordinate with? I'm using the same fabric (except gold with red dots) for my DR chair covers. What would you use? I thought about using the toile material for a shower curtain but wonder if I'll tire of it on that big of a section. You also see the valance from down the hall so I'd like that to be a focal point. I'll also say when I brought a sample of the gold home for the chairs the fabric actually looked more solid from a distance so that's another reason I thought maybe for the shower curtain. I don't even know how much material I would need to make one.

{{!gwi}}

I figured before I pick a paint color I need to decide what I'm really doing with this room.

I also really like this print. Don't know that I would for sure use it in here but I'd like to find a place somewhere in the house for it.

{{!gwi}}

Pic of the bathroom

{{!gwi}}

Towels colors I have are red, burgundy, green, creamy color, white, and navy blue. Obviously the burgundy and blue would go in the other bathroom.

Comments (26)

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

Lovely toile and it has a soft look about it: I would definitely do both the shower curtain and valance out of it.

standard shower curtains are usually 72 by 72, your toile is
    probably 54 inches wide, so you'll need a minimum of 4.5 yards for your shower curtain, your valance could possibly be made with the wasted part of the 2nd panel of fabric.

I had my decorative shower curtain pinch pleated for more fullness, and added a tension rod behind it for the liner.

• funkyart
    14 years ago

Shee, I love the fabrics-- love them! I would love to see both the valance and shower curtain in the toile but honestly, that would make for a pretty prissy bathroom-- nothing is wrong with that, I love prissy especially in bathrooms, but knowing your DH is a manly man and knowing your lifestyle, I think your instincts to use two fabrics are right on-- and using the coordinating fabric will make for a beautiful and handsome room-- perfect!

Have you decided on a color for the walls?

• Related Discussions

Bathroom curtain: vote yes or no

Q

Comments (74)
    I'm not changing the rugs (and they're real sheepskin, not fake). Theyre minimalist and very comfortable on the feet but still allow the heat from the gloor to pass through because of the hide and low pike/knap. I had a small rug before that was a pale blue Greek key but I needed on for the vanity area and there was nothing the right length. Plus I didn't want to cover the floor with something too visually obtrusive. I always wanted the tile to shine.
    ...See More

ugly apartment bathroom tile - shower curtain and bath mat help needed

Q

Comments (22)
    Thank you everyone!! I should clarify, I wouldn't mind the tile if the white was actually white, it's just more of a worn/cream/off white type color which is throwing me off a little bit. I do like the idea of adding a pop of color - I'm just one of those people that's usually afraid of color! So I first went for white and black and got a little disappointed. Loving the teal/aqua recommendation though:) thanks again everyone!
    ...See More

what type of curtain would be best for this bathroom window?

Q

Comments (10)
    I agree, roman shade would be first choice but a couple others for your consideration: 1) you could make a perfect size cheap cafe curtain to cover 1/2 -2/3 of the window with some iron on hemming tape either rod pocket orclip on curtain rings, that way you let the top half of the light in 2) window obscuring sheets are very easy to apply and found on amazon. I have the former in my downstairs powder and latter in my upstairs bath and I've never had a peeling or moisture problem 3 years later
    ...See More

How to decorate a valance (for bathroom)

Q

Comments (15)
    Thank you Jinx! I think I may just stick to adding nothing at the bottom, my bathroom is quite small and you're right it may be too much. The bathroom is pretty outdated, I live in a 1950's house that was kept it's original look as you can see from the medicine cabinet, when I bought the house it had the same shutters in the photo you sent me all around the house, they were nice but I took them down since they were worn out . Eventually I am going to redo the whole bathroom for remodeling but for now I just want to make it look somewhat nice for holidays. I know the photos make the valance look terrible but it's a different vibe in person lol. I think the photo you sent me is gorgeous! I wish I had that view when I open my bathroom windows, unfortunately it's never opened because it points to my neighbors.
    ...See More
  • User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mitch - Thank you for that info. The fabric is 54" wide. I was wondering if i should make the shower curtain out of the same material. Thought it might be too matchy in a small bathroom. Plus if I got tired of the toile I could always make another valance to match the red/gold shower curtain. I'm not completely against using the toile for both. Just mauling it around.

Funky - Dh is funny because he very manly yet has a prissy side. If he really doesn't like something he'll voice it but for the most part he doesn't say much about the stuff I pick for the house. Then later I'll hear him commenting on how he likes it.

I'm not sure what direction I'm going with the paint. The swatch in the picture I think is too light. Looks too much like my hall color and the Shelburn Buff in the LR. During the day I think I'd like the LR walls a little darker. I do keep the blind open or up in the bathroom during the day. I was thinking a dark gold/brown color. The samples I have at home of Blair Gold isn't the right shade but of course this is when I was comparing it to the flower valance. I like SW Mannered Gold and SW Chamois but I don't know how they would look with these fabrics.

I'm open to suggestions on fabrics or paint!

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I meant to ask, Mitch do you have a picture of your shower curtain? I'll have to talk to her about that too. Would she just make button hole openengs at the top?

• tinam61
    14 years ago

Shee - if you can make the valance, you can make a shower curtain. Especially a simple one. The hardest thing would be matching the pattern. You'd have to split a width of the fabric to add to each side of another width to get your total width for the shower curtain. I think My3dogs explains this in one of her valance or curtain instructions. It would all be straight seams. I love the pinch pleated idea but not sure how that would look with your toile design.

I like the idea of the toile for both the valance and the shower curtain. A trim would look great. If you're using a red trim I'd go for a golder color for your paint.

tina

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mitchdesj -Wait, I'm trying to process the fabric amout here. 4.5 yards is 13.5 feet. My ceilings are 8'. If I didn't have pinch pleat made would I still need that much fabric?

Tinam61 - That's the part I'm worried about!! Maybe it wouldn't be too noticeable if it was bunched up some. Maybe I could use that red/gold fabric for the tie ups in the valance. I'm going to dig up that thread. I would need to add fabric to each side and match on each side? Yeeaah I'm going to talk to Carol (the nice seamstress lady!) I know there was a spot on the stool cushions she needs to match up. I picked a very busy patteren for those too. We'll see how they look when I get em back.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is SW Chamois
    Deborahnj's DR

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    SW Mannered (on lighter on the strip from Chamois)
    Bonniee's bedrom
    {{!gwi}}

Think either of these?

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

Sheesharee, since one width of fabric is 54 inches, and a shower curtain is 72 inches, you'll need 2 widths of 54 inches in order to get the extra 18 inch you need in width, plus the folding over for side hems, of course.
    For length, 72 inches is 2 yards even, so that's why I thought you would need 4.5 yards, 2 times 2 yards, plus hems, 4.5 yards minimum.

Your shower curtain would have a seam ; I have not taken into account your pattern repeat, which is necessary to match up the pattern when piecing 2 widths of fabric together. If your pattern repeat is 24 inches, which is a big one, you might need more fabric to match that up.
    You wouldn't want the curtain to start at half way point of a medallion for example.

Clever use of your unused portion of the 2nd panel of fabric could yield enough for a valance, that would be your seamstress who could tell you.

When using toile, matchy matchy is good, imo...... the more the better; specially in a small bath.

I looked and I don't have a picture of mine; I won't be home till the 22 nd. I've only begun to gather photos of my condo, so hard to take interior shots. I do have a lot to share though.

• brutuses
    14 years ago

When you're talking toile, there is never enough!! LOL Personally I would have and actually do have, the window curtain and shower curtain in the toile. It has black trim to pick up the black in the print. The background of the fabric is striped and the wall color is the same as one of the stripes. I wish I could show you a photo of them hanging up, but if you remember I hired a seamstress who only finished them to a point and stopped. So I have to have my newly hired seamstress finish them.

What I'm doing is having a roman type shade curtain for the window with a scalloped edge on the bottom and for the shower curtain I wanted to keep it simple so I had a tailored valance made. Sounds fancy, but it's just the fabric pulled all the way across, flat and it has a little scalloped edge in black. It has a rod pocket and I'll hang it on a decorative rod. For the shower curtain I went with just one large curtain, no trim or anything. I forgot to mention I have a tiny black button for accent. Since I stayed on this computer most of the day yesterday and goofed off, I need to go get some chores completed today. I will take a photo of the curtain and trim for you and post later. It won't be hung but you'll see what I'm talking about.

• funkyart
    14 years ago

Hi Shee.. well if your DH isnt going to have issue with the toile, I would absolutely use it on both. It is gorgeous! I have a toile shower curtain and in my last house had it paired with a toile valance and just loved it. In my current bathroom, I have a toile shower curtain (blue and white) paired with a battenberg valance-- the only reason I don't have the toile valance in there is that it didnt fit the window well. I do miss it and when I get around to sprucing up the bathroom (after all the other projects I am not getting done), I will use a new toile and do the same. (The battenberg lace curtain isnt awful but it isnt perfect either)

I love both the mannered gold and chamois.. I have the same strip here and I have been trying to find a place or reason to use the mannered gold. I think it will look terrific with your mirror and vintage lights also.

I just have to say that you have a great DH-- I love that he appreciates nice things and the time and attention you put into your home. He isnt bad to look at either! Does he have a single, much older brother (eye brow wiggle)?

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mitchdesj - I think I got it now. Thanks for explaining that. I would love to see your pics when you return!

Brutuses - Yes, please post a pic later. I do remember about your seamstress stopping. "I wanted to keep it simple so I had a tailored valance made." For the top of the shower curtain?

Funky - I'm going to get some samples of both those paints. I should order a sample of the toile fabric.
    Aww thanks for the compliment about DH! He's a sweety ...for the most part! :) I was worried before we got married about how we were going to mesh on decorating. We had talked about it but I was curious to see how it would really go down when the time came. I think if I wanted to paint the walls bright pink he's really object ha but for the most part I can't complain. He has a younger brother ready to graduate from high school and an older brother that is 30. I don't think any of them look alike though. DH looks like his Mom, younger one looks like his Dad, and the oldest is a mix of both parents.

I went and looked at the dotted fabric over lunch. Not doing it. It's more of a rust color not red. It didn't look right next to anything red I held against it.

Based on popular opinion here I believe I'm going to use the toile for both!

• bodiCA
    14 years ago

Just yesterday I read outdoor fabrics make great shower curtains! I was looking at the Frontgate outdoor fabrics and ended up wandering through many sources looking at what is available. Toile is an outdoor fabric choise. No more need of vinyl liners. Also, wonder how a sheer toile outside a nylon shower curtain would work. The softness and space saving would be nice. You have given me more ideas for my bath too, thanks!

• brutuses
    14 years ago

OK shee, here are some photo's. First one is the shower curtain valance. It's folded in half to fit this picture. Only thing I need to do to finish it is have my new seamstress sew in the rod pocket so it gathers. Right now it's just one large pocket. I'll be so glad to get these hung. I feel like they'll be faded and worn before they ever get hung, being handled so much. LOL Oh, and they are lined with a light weight cotton.

Window curtain

Here's the room they are going in.

{{gwi:1397390}}

• oceanna
    14 years ago

Shee, yes to your pretty fabric choices! I can't wait to see it when you're done.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Brutuses - I remember that material now!! Thanks for posting it. Very pretty! What are you using under the shower curtain valance? I guess I could have her do the rod pocket thing instead of the holes for the hooks? How would you hang both the liner and the fabric shower curtain? I know they have those double ones but is there an option besides that?

Oceanna - Thanks. I'm excited about it now. I talked with my aunt (who introduced me to my new seamstress and is friends with her) and she was saying she indeed can make shower curtain because she just did one for her! :) YAY! I might see if I can observe though.

It'll be a little while before I do this. My list of to dos is getting longer and longer. I will post updates as I go.

Any suggestions as to anything decorative to add to the shower curtain? I'm def. going to use red tassel trim (or maybe red and gold) on the bottom of the valance.

I'm assuming the bottom of the shower curtain should just touch the floor? How close to the ceiling should it go? Ceilings are 8'.

One more question, do you think the background of that material is more gold or yellow? I thought it was light gold now I'm seeing more of a pale yellow.

Thanks!

• funkyart
    14 years ago

Ha well I was joking about the brother.. good thing because well, I could be their mother!

Order a sample of the fabric-- I wouldnt spend too much energy trying to match paint colors until you have the sample in hand. Your room will be gorgeous!

• brutuses
    14 years ago

shee, it's difficult to say what color the fabric is looking at it from the monitor, but I would say more gold than yellow.

For my shower curtain, since it is just one piece, I'm going to get the seamstress to put the holes so I can hang it from plain hooks and I'll have the liner on the same hooks and when the curtain is in use the decorative part will set outside the tub. The rod pocket is for just the valance which will be on a seperate poll.

Also, my seamstreass was suppose to do this but she didn't. There is a waterproof fabric that you can use as the liner for your curtain which will offer it more protection from water and if I remember correctly it's also mildew proof.

You asked about the height to hang. My curtain is a basic size so it will hang like your current one is now, just above the top of the tub surround.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Funkyart - LOL. You could be one of those "cougar" ladies!

Oy. I just went on fabricguru to order a sample and they are calling it yellow. I'm really off on my fabric colors today! The red was rust the gold is yellow ha. Love gold but have,uh.. mixed feelings on yellow. I still like the fabric on my monitor and it's not screaming bright so that little swatch should be able to tell a lot.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OMG! I'm still searching fabrics because shipping is free and the samples are only $1.00. I managed to stumble upon my kitchen fabric that was $30ish/yard. I got it on sale for $15.00. Fabricguru has it now for $6.95!!! Ugh.. on that note I'm going to bed. Should've been there hour ago.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well my fabric sample arrived today and oye, is it yellow. Yellow, yellow, yellow. Why it can't be a gold color is beyond me. The toile pattern is very pretty IMO. I'm not a fan of yellow so I'm not sure what I think of this idea. Once I get a shower curtain and valance made that's a lot... of yellow. Paint and some red towels might help make the room?

Some pics
    not sure what those yellowish marks are on the floor. They're not there IRL
    {{!gwi}}
    The paint sample is BM Blair Gold. I'm not saying that would even be what I would use. Just trying to get an idea.
    I added my red towel on the right to see.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

Thoughts?

• brutuses
    14 years ago

shee, I think that yellow is too much yellow for the rest of your house decor and colors. Seems to be too much brightness or maybe lightness. Not sure the word to use, but I don't think it's the one for you. You know there are countless numbers of toile if you have the energy to shop around. The toile I found for my bath was only sold at 2 stores so finding it was not easy. I'll go searching for some different toiles for you and I'll post them if I see any you might be interested in.

• funkyart
    14 years ago

I love the toile.. and the pale yellow. I think with the right wall color it will look lovely-- but it IS yellow and if you don't care for the yellow family, I would keep looking.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

*Sigh* Looking at it again this morning I keeping thinking "rubber duckie yellow". It's actually darker in person. That's a disappointment since I liked the design so much. I'll keep looking around and hopefully can find something!

Yeah, if anyone finds anything let me know! I could even of handled an antique looking yellow but I think that's too bright or something.

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

If it were me, I would use that fabric and paint the walls a much lighter version of the yellow background ; I would also ditch the red towels for white or ivory.

• decordiva
    14 years ago

Shee...where did you get your toile fabric??? I have that same toile wallpaper in my hall beth. I just love it! For the time being I have a white shower curtain. It blends with the white trim and cabinets. I do want to do something else but have never found anything I like. Would love to get that fabric and have a shower curtain made.
    Good luck with your project. Can't wait to see it finished!

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I didn't realize anyone else responded to this. . .

Mitch - Light version as in still yellow? I do have both ivory/cream and white towels.

Lkennedy79 - I found it on fabricguru.com. I would love to see your wallpaper! Think you could post a pic?

Ok despite the fact that the background is big bird yellow I still REALLY like the pattern of this fabric. Honestly better than any other toile I ever saw. I've been searching for other fabrics and nothing is making me smile like the stock picture of this one.

Do you think once the walls have paint on them it would tone it down enough to change the look? I'm trying to picture the fabric in a large piece. Maybe it wouldn't be as bright with more red?

WHY couldn't they just made the background gold!?

I'll say I really love red but pretty sure I can't handle a red room.