bragu

What's for dinner #388

bragu_DSM 5
3 years ago

Imagine a beautiful red velvet cake ...

Comments (103)

• annie1992
    3 years ago

Jadsip, one of these day I have to make Tortiere. AnnT always made them and posted pictures and they always looked delicious. Yours looks equally delicious. Merry Christmas!

Sleevendog, my family loves smoked chicken. When we're down to the scraps, Elery mixes it with cream cheese and green onions and makes a cheese ball, we don't want to miss out on a single bit. I'd go for the golden beets and parsnips too! I think your DH is going to get a lot of use out of that smoker. Merry Christmas.

Lynda, my brother is a terrible cook, and although I take food to Mother's weekly, not all things reheat particularly well. I'm encouraged today, she had two glasses of orange juice for breakfast with her iron pills, then a cup of coffee and a piece of pumpkin pie. I convinced her to drink an Ensure by promising that I'd stop nagging her about eating if she'd drink it. She had a piece of broccoli/ham/cheese quiche for supper and is now having a glass of Merlot and some cheese. She already seems better.

Supper was the above mentioned quiche and I made a big pot full of butternut squash and red lentils, cooked in coconut milk and some garam masala and chili powder. Mother wouldn't touch them, but Elery liked them.

Tonight we'll open our gifts from Elery's middle son and celebrate Jolobokaflod, the Christmas Book Flood. An Icelandic tradition, Christmas Eve is spent reading and drinking hot chocolate.

Annie

bragu_DSM 5 thanked annie1992
  • Jasdip
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

That sounds very promising, and uplifting regarding your mom Annie!!

• Related Discussions

Idyll #388: A good year for hydrangeas

Q

Comments (101)
    Hi everyone, Just a quick drop in to say a big thank you for all of the beautiful birthday cards! I love them all! It's been a busy summer so far and is going way to fast. Bella is at such a fun age and we've been spending a lot of time doing fun things with her. Lots of visits to the dairy to see her beloved cows, we went to Build a Bear last weekend and made a 4th of July bear, visits to the park and Dairy Queen and today we're going to the zoo. My garden is cluttered with sandbox, water table, wading pool, tricyles, all mixed in with lots of flower pots. I've gone overboard again with the containers. No big surprise there, right? This has been a great summer for the garden, lots of rain and not too hot, just right. Yesterday Jenni and I worked at ivy removal again in her garden. I know I promised you all pictures but I had trouble with my picturetrail account when I tried to add them. Maybe it's time to try again. I want you all to see what we've done! V, I have musa siam ruby. Is that the same as your red banana? When I first got it the leaves were more green than red. But now that it's warmed up they are really red. Very cool plant! Saucy, love your container gardens and reading about the bees too! Deanne, as usual everything I've seen in your pictures is just spectacular! I especially loved the pot you painted to match the begonias. Thanks for the pictures of Sue's garden too! Sue, I didn't notice the boot but do really like the way you're wearing your hair these days. Your garden is wonderful as always! One of my favorites! Cynthia, thanks for the glimpse into your garden too. Your agaves are beautiful. I'm acquiring quite a collection of them too, thanks to the influence of you and Denise. Michelle, I love hearing about your special times with Kenzie. The Secret Garden is really coming along and looking so cute. That gate is such a great find! Marie, I'm so glad Skyler came through ok. So much for him to deal with. So great of him and Sarah to do the cancer run. She looks beautiful in her new haircut :) Reed is growing up so fast and is such a cutie. Kathy, Aiden looks like such a happy baby and is cute as can be. I made your birthday card my computer background picture. Very, very cool! I have to run. Time for the zoo! Hi Martie, PM, Cindy, Denise, Anita, Chelone, Mary (Who else have I missed?). Brenda great to have you back posting too! Welcome Leslie! Happy Friday! Eden
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #364

Q

Comments (100)
    2many, I actually am pretty good at mudding drywall. I'm slow and meticulous, but it looks good when I'm done! As for that chili dog, well, at least once every summer I go to the local A&W. They still have the carhops that come out to the car and put a tray on your window. I get a chili cheese dog and a frosty mug full of root beer. Then I'm done for a year, but that one chili dog is sure good. As for Zaxby's, we don't have them up here so I'm not familiar, but Elery had their chicken when he went to Tennessee for Aunt Etta's funeral, and he said it was actually pretty good. He had chicken every day he was there, though, and was pretty tired of it by the time he got home. It's one of those foods that you can pretty much figure isn't too unhealthy, a grilled chicken breast, LOL, so he got it every time he had to eat out. Then his sister made chicken and dumplings, and his sister in law fried chicken and there was chicken salad and, well, he came home and wanted chili! Artemis, the best advice I have is to just do it. Don't watch, be sure you get in there and do it yourself. You can watch YouTube and watch someone else and read every instruction in the world, but you really just have to do it. The first one is slow, the second one is better. By the time you're on three or four, it'll take you a couple of minutes and you'll be done. I'm assuming you are plucking by hand, I have that handy-dandy chicken plucker that Elery bought me for my birthday and it is an amazing time saver, but with seven birds, probably not worth the price. Plucking by hand takes me about 10 minutes per bird, and cleaning another 2 minutes. Scalding is a minute or so, so about 4 birds an hour. The plucker will pluck 2 chickens in less than a minute, so that's very helpful. We did 28 birds in 2 hours, packed on ice and "resting" overnight. It took longer than that to break them down and package them. I always let them sit on ice for 24 hours or so, it seems to make the birds less stringy and more tender. And don't forget to save the backs/necks for stock. Feet too, if you can get past the thought and trim the nails! Like you, I'm offended by the life animals have in the commercial food chain, and so I have to raise my own in a humane and sustainable manner. It's not for everyone, but it works for me. Annie
    ...See More

Final debate. What’s for dinner?

Q

Comments (22)
    Split Pea Soup with chunks of ham. No debate for me....just can't....DH on zoom call with a friend he has a martini with every Thursday eve. All virtual since COVID except for once in our backyard with social distancing. They've done this for years. It's my quiet time :)
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #398 Nov 2021

Q

Comments (100)
    Mmm cheese sauce and gnocchi sounds good to me Walnut creek. Jasdip, your salad and drumstick followed by your caponata look delicious. I did look up the difference between caponata and ratatouille and it seems caponata has the addtion of olives perhaps capers... did you add these to yours? We had a few cool days and while I‘m not in a real cooking frame of mind at the moment... I did cook up Fish and six veg. I had some red sauce left over from the pizza so I made a sort of patatas brava with potatoes and sweet potatoes
    ...See More
  • neely
    3 years ago

Good to hear about your Mum Annie.

Well our Christmas meal is over.

Table

First course was Smoked salmon with creme fraise

Main was baked ham with vegetables

We had scalloped potatoes instead of roast

Dessert.... eaten later was a Yule log

bragu_DSM 5 thanked neely
  • Jasdip
    3 years ago

Oh Neely I love your Christmas dinner! Fabulous, and beautiful table setting.

• Lynda (Zn9b/23 - Central CA Coast)
    3 years ago

Merry Christmas!

Neely, wonderful meal and table setting. I really like the smoked salmon as a starter.

Annie, I am so glad to hear your Mother is doing better.

Jadsip, Your tourtiere sounds wonderful. I had to google it because I had never heard of it.

Our Christmas Eve Dinner was perfect and everyone enjoyed it, even me. I normally, over think it, get way too ambitious and end up exhausted. This was fairly simple to pull together, which allowed me to focus on family. DH cleared up, and we all watched Polar Express together. Now on to Christmas brunch.

3 years ago

The calla lilies are from my garden. The bulbs originally came from my parent's home and are in my grandmother's vase.

French onion soup

Duck a la orange -- we stuffed the bird and made the sauce with our oranges.

Crème Brule topped with whipped cream and our fresh picked blueberries. Our weather confuses the blueberries and we usually get several smaller crops a year in addition to the main one in the spring.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Wow, Lynda, beautiful setting and dinner!

I'd love a huge bowl of the French onion soup please. My stomach growled when I saw it :-D

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

I had the usual suspects for Christmas dinner; turkey dressing, whipped potatoes and roasted brussels sprouts. No need for a pic.

Today I made turkey pot pie. It's a good thing I don't entertain.....my crust sunk. and it's not pretty. But that's okay, it doesn't bother me in the least (nor would it bother Tom as any sane person).

OTOH my ex-DH and I talk every so often and I told him I made tourtiere and sent him my pic. I've made it a few times. He's from Quebec and had it regularly. First thing he did was criticize the slits. That's not how you cut the crust, it's supposed to be punctured with a fork on and on. FFS they're slits! But he's always right, just ask him, that's also why he's an ex.

Soooo I had a bit of a pity party today missing Tom. As if he'd comment on how a crust is vented.

Here's my din-din (the turkey pot pie) fresh out of the oven in my Emile Henry casserole I got last year.

• HU-753479426
    3 years ago

Jasdip - I'm married to a man from French Canadian parents. AnnT's tourtière recipe is leagues above my MIL's. I keep looking for a fleur de lis cookie cutter like she used in her photo. Your's looks quite lovely!

seagrass

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Thanks Seagrass......my tourtiere is up-thread and it turned out delicious. I checked out Ann's recipe and it uses the same spices.

• annie1992
    3 years ago

Jasdip, both of those crusts look just fine to me! I still need to make the tourtiere, I am reminded every year when I see the delicious photos. As for your ex, well, pffft. Mine is also an ex for very good reasons, and somehow they always remind us of them, LOL.

Neely, your Christmas dinner looks perfect, especially the Yule Log, and your table is lovely.

Lynda, French Onion is one of my favorite soups, and I seldom make it. I'd certainly not turn down a bowl of yours, so melty-cheesy. Mmmmm. And, of course, I love creme brulee.

We had Christmas dinner yesterday, Madison helped me fold the napkins so they looked like Christmas trees, she saw it in a book. Crafty little elf, isn't she?

We had ham and turkey, stuffing and gravy, corn pudding, green beans with bacon, macaroni and cheese, homemade cranberry sauce and apple sauce, au gratin potatoes:

Homemade rolls, of course. My kids really like Sol's honey rolls, but Mother wanted the ones that Grandma always made, so I made good old Farmhouse White. Everyone ate them with no complaint (and lots of butter!).

Dessert? Of course we'll have some. Gluten free chocolate mint brownies with a ganache frosting that got too hard, and macarons, which are naturally gluten free, although the filling was a little messy. Chocolate, strawberry and pistachio.

For those gluten consuming guests we had all those cookies we made, plus some extra frosted sugar cookies so I could use up the dough, as well as a sour cream almond Texas Sheet Cake with maraschino cherries in place of the nuts. Only on half, because there are some who don't like maraschino cherries, go figure:

Today we went back to healthier eating, I sent every cookie and snack home with the girls yesterday. Dinner was sauteed cabbage, the rest of the baby turnips from the hoop house and leftover turkey. No pictures, it was a kind of white/tan meal, and not pretty, but it was healthy, LOL.

Annie

• neely
    3 years ago

Yummy Christmas dinner Annie everything looks good. The macarons are perfectt.

Your pies looks delicious Jasdip. Sheesh what a grump the ex is.

Lynda wonderful table and food for Christmas. Like the others I can’t wait to make French onion soup.

As Annie said “back to healthier eating.” Good old Salmon, mashed sweet potato and green beans. Came back to our holiday home, so relaxing and no fuss about ‘nuthin’

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    3 years ago

@Lynda (Zn9b/23 - Central CA Coast), just saw your post about how you cook farro. Thank you so very much.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    3 years ago

Can any of you direct me to Jasdip's and AnnT's recipes for tourtiere, please. I have searched and can't find. Also with to AnnT's blog and couldn't find it.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

WC, I typed Tourtiere in the search button in Ann's blog. Tourtieres are typically used with all ground pork, but I used half ground beef and half ground pork. I like the blend of both meats for extra flavour.

I also made the filling earlier in the day so it was cold when I filled the crust, no chance of a soggy crust from putting in a hot filling.

3 years ago

Annie, What a lovely traditional Christmas.

WC, Happy to help!

Neely, Lovely salmon. Glad you are getting some post holiday relaxation time in.

Santa brought me a sous vide machine, so I gave it a try last night. We made salmon with teriyaki sauce. I liked how the frozen salmon can go from freezer to cooked in a little over an hour. I could probably use a little more practice to get everything timed right, but it was a good first try.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    3 years ago

@Jasdip, thanks. I must have been spelling it wrong, because I found the recipe finally. What about your recipe?

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    3 years ago

It's been all seafood all the time since Christmas Eve....not much private time with both of us home. DH is like a puppy needing attention, 😂

Lobster rolls last night, two each. So good, and huge....side of chips. We were sent two bags of spuds instead of one. DH is happy.

• annie1992
    3 years ago

Well, it must be seafood week here!

Neely, I was surprised at how simple the macarons actually are, although some cracked and some never developed the required "feet". They all tasted good anyway, and I only showed you the nice ones, LOL. Salmon is always good, in my opinion, and I like sweet potatoes a lot, so I'd be happy with that.

Jasdip, I'll remember that tip to cool the filling before putting it in the crust. At least I'll TRY to remember, LOL, but it's getting more and more in question all the time!

WalnutCreek, I hope you enjoy your tourtiere!

Lynda, I have to have traditional meals on Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. No exceptions. (grin) I'm allowed to add new things but seldom am allowed to take anything away, so the meals get bigger and bigger! Enjoy your sous vide, I haven't quite gotten the hang of it yet, I need to practice some more. I like salmon but one of my favorite things is rice with teriyaki sauce, so I know what I'd eat first.

OK, sleevendog, you got me. Lobster rolls and potatoes, two of my favorite things. Funny about your DH, some days Elery is like that too, especially if Mom or one of the kids is also demanding my attention. He can ignore me for a week but as soon as I start working on Township business or taking care of someone, he has to talk to me, LOL.

Here I have shrimp thawing, no idea what to have with it. Mother won't touch it, of course, I'll have to make her mac and cheese or something else, so back to two menus for each meal, she's not eating anything that resembles a bean or a vegetable!

Annie

• cookebook
    3 years ago

My Christmas rib roast turned out so good! I used AnnT's pre-salting method for about three days and then covered it with a butter I made from rosemary, dry mustard and garlic. And thanks to those of you who helped me with the au jus in another thread. It was delicious too. I learn so much from yall!

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    3 years ago

You rib roast is gorgeous. Would you mind sharing what you did for the au jus, please.

• cookebook
    3 years ago

Walnut, I browned a couple of oxtails very well in a pan to get a lot of fond. I deglazed with some cabernet and added beef stock and scraped up all the fond. Someone suggested I order demi glace so I did and it was delivered the next day. It came in six little cups and I added one. I also added some fresh thyme and just cooked it slowly until the roast was done.

3 years ago

DH has been on a bread baking roll. I just get summoned for the top slicing. Most gifted.

The new baby smoker gift just out the kitchen door has been a hit. Just an hour, even in cold temps, has been beyond expectations. Not a 'cooker' so it is easy to get a good smoke, then finished the chicken in the oven. The salmon filet trial smoked/cooked fully. Lots of salads and snack platters from that...dry rubbed dill and sumac. Roasted cherry toms.

3 years ago

Beautiful rib roast @cookebook and smoked salmon @sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA).

This is try #2 for sous vide. Chicken breast (sous vide breasts from frozen) with a mustard cream sauce, brown jasmine rice with shallots, chard and red Russian kale, and foccacia. It was good, but not great. Definitely more tender than cooked any other way. I timed it better this time by getting the side and sauce done first and then quickly pan searing the cooked chicken. More practice is definitely needed.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Cookebook, I'd love to have seen the inside of that superb roast.

Sleeve, glad you're getting good use out of your smoker. They are certainly popular. We liked watching Project Smoke with Steven Raichlen on PBS even though we don't have one. All of his food looked incredible.

I smiled at your "puppy needing attention" comment about your DH. Too cute.

Neely, your salmon looks good as always, and Lynda, that's quite a great-looking meal for your first attempt at sous-vide! There's a learning curve, but I don't think you'll have much trouble :-)

Annie, busy as always, here's hoping the new year brings an easier time with Mom.

I had frozen my leftover turkey, but I felt like fajitas today, so out they came. Took what I needed (too much for one meal, oops) and put the rest in the freezer. There's something about sauteed onions and peppers that I just love and they grow, every single time.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    3 years ago

@cookebook, than you so much for you info about how you prepared your au jus. Sounds wonderful.

3 years ago

I think we have gone through my freezer fajita and taco meals last I attempted to organize that beast. Next local meat share is on its way next week. Just in time.

Yes, SousVide has a bit of a learning curve. Chicken and pork the best place to start. (imho). I like the window of time where it is ready but I'm not. DH worked some late days and a few weekends before Thanksgiving. Sides prepped, kitchen clean, dishwasher running...SV vessel out of the way next to the sink. Cooked, ready and waiting.

Misfit Holiday Edition....perfect and still going through it.

Caesar salad, homemade dressing and croutons. (hid the croutons from sneaky fingers).

Shrimp & Noodles, roasted cherry tom sauce

• annie1992
    3 years ago

Cookebook, that roast looks perfect to me, I'm imagining that it was nicely rare in the middle. If it wasn't, I'll deal, but I can just see that juicy pink center in my mind's eye.

Jasdip, I always like the peppers and onions more than I like any other part of a meal. When the girls were home and I made shish kebabs, I got ALL of the onions, the girls never wanted them. Foolish children, I liked that part the best!

sleevendog, I knew you'd use that smoker. All of your meals look good, of course, but that bread and the smoked salmon, just that would be good enough for me.

Lynda, have fun with tht sous vide. I've still not gotten the hang of ours, and I finally just stuck in on the back of the shelf next to the air fryer. Now I'll get them back out and start again. Being the carboholic that I am, I'd be happy with the foccacia and rice, although the dijon cream chicken sounds good too...

Here I sauteed the shrimp and served it with some home canned green beans, cocktail sauce on the side:

Not getting enough seafood, I made a piece of halibut with a parmesan crust and some stir fried vegetables. Bsically, I cleaned out the crisper, the vegetables were sliced brussels sprouts, carrots, broccoli, kale, red cabbage, onions and probably something I don't even remember, LOL.

Last night I made black bean enchiladas, using some of the enchilada sauce I canned last sumer, but I got it a little spicier than I like. I put mine on top of some iceberg (Yeah, I know, but it's what I had) and managed to eat it. Elery, however, was VERY happy and added some pickled sliced Sugar Rush peppers to his. I was busy drinking a glass of milk to cut the heat, and forgot to take pictures!

The Princess wanted to make cannoli for her Dad for a Christmas surprise, and had ordered the shells, but then got scheduled to work every single day as other people took time off for the holidays. She finally got a night off and came here so Elery could help her. I'm not particularly fond of ricotta but I liked the shells, they tasted like doughnuts, LOL. They made two dozen, she took a dozen home and she and her Dad and Elery managed to eat all but two of the remaining dozen. Those two are in the refrigerator for Elery's birthday treat, day after tomorrow. Somewhere we have the tubes to make the shells but we couldn't find them, of course. I'll dig through all my baking gear and next time we'll make our own shells. Then I'll have used oil and an excuse to make doughnuts!

Tonight I have bean soup in the crockpot, I think I might make some cornbread, but I have to start taking down Christmas decorations, so we'll see how ambitious I get!

Annie

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

I've mentioned how much I like Nick Stellino's tv shows. The Italians eat lentils on Dec. 31 as good luck for money coming in. The lentils remind them of coins.

So that was my inspiration. Lentils for luck tonite, along with a pork chop. The pork chop was given to me by a friend; it's stuffed with garlic sausage. I've never had that, and wasn't sure how to cook it. So I browned it and then popped it in the little oven to make sure the sausage cooked through.

Happy New Year!

3 years ago

Happy New Year Jadsip!

I was thinking about crab as a theme for NYE, but I got over ruled. DH & DS wanted sushi. We got home yesterday afternoon, so this morning I headed to the harbor to pick up some fish. The line was out the door 30+ people long. Clearly we were not the only ones in the Santa Barbara area to have this idea. I waited for awhile and the line didn't move at all. Then I thought about this little hole in the wall fish place that I like to get my take out fish n chips from. I happened to know that they were owned by the same people who own a local sushi chain. I called them up (while still in line in the harbor) and sure enough, they had what we needed. By the time I got there they had my order prepared, wrapped and bagged - no waiting required. I think I have a new fish provider.

Happy New Years! Here is to hoping that 2021 is better than the dumpster fire that was 2020.

Ahi

Salmon

3 years ago

Excellent choice on the sushi, though I do love crab.

I like iceberg. Everything I grow is so leafy it is a nice crunch. I use my English muffin rings to cut out burger 'buns'. Two or three leaves thick. Romaine for taco wraps. Not always but a nice change if we have had heavy meat/carb meals in a row.

Nice gift of stuffed pork. Never think to do that.

Our NewYearsEve menu was set, then changed a few times. DH put the still frozen shrimp in the fridge and forgot to take out the seafood medley for Bouillabaisse. I had also planned to smoke the oysters as a first course... Plan B.

Chilled shrimp salad and another oyster stew....(x-mas eve tradition)...so good did not mind having it again. (garnished pic is blurry). I sometimes add shrimp in the shell to the stew. (my sister likes the stew but not the oyster texture so I add shrimp for her).

A shame to need to use the shrimp up but we love it anywho.

Keep wanting to make spring rolls but always run out of steam...

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    3 years ago

Here is what I had for dinner last night in celebration of the New Year. It was sooo goood. Could eat only 1/2 the slice of ham. Ham, Corn PUdding, Collard Greens, Black Eyed Peas, and Cornbread.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    3 years ago

And here is my dessert. A berry pie.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Wow, incredible sushi rolls Lynda.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes iceberg lettuce, Sleeve. I like the crunch on sandwiches and with romaine.

Walnut I love ham. I want to buy one with a bone in, hopefully they'll come on sale soon.

Roast beef dinner today. A g/f gave me some cornbread too.

• annie1992
    3 years ago

Lynda, those sushi rolls look perfect!

Jasdip, your mashed potatoes look perfect too, of course, I think pretty much all potatoes look perfect, LOL. Nice GF, to add the cornbread.

sleevendog, your stew looks delicious, and the addition of shrimp is something I'd like a lot. I like shrimp better than oysters, so double bonus, I'd have the "stew" AND the seafood, perfect solution.

WalnutCreek, your dinner looks good, but the pie, yum, I never pass up pie!

For New Year's Day we had spinach tortellini in a cream sauce, which gave us the greens, kind of. Also a black eyed pea salad and some cornbread:

Because it was Elery's birthday the next day, he wanted MORE cannoli, so I made my first ever homemade cannoli shells and stuffed them. Again. (grin)

Dragged out my "high tech" fryer, LOL, and found the cannoli tubes that I've never used, although technically they are Elery's and he did use them once before he met me.

I dug out the Dungeness Crab from the freezer that I got from Alaskan Seafood and we had that for his birthday dinner along with baked potatoes and some of the black eyed pea salad we had on New Year's Day.

Today dinner was leftovers, an odd mix of enchiladas and tortellini, with a fresh Waldorf salad as a side dish. I forgot to take pictures, I was excited to find this in my barnyard this morning. Gender is to be determined, this little one was just an hour or so old and so I left Mama to do her job without interference from me.

Annie

• cookebook
    3 years ago

I decided we needed something a little lighter after all the beef around the holidays, so crab salad it is. Annie, your calf is adorable!

3 years ago

I am loving all the seafood - Sleeve's shrimp and oyster stew, Annie's Dungeness crab and Cookebook's crab salad.

Annie, you homemade cannolis look terrific, but your new calf stole the show.

Jadsip and WC, Your meals both look tasty. I just love cornbread and they reminded me that it has been way too long since I have had any.

My sous vide experimentation continues. I bought some 4 oz mini mason jars and have been trying out making individual portion desserts. So far I made chocolate pots de creme and cheesecakes. I like the idea that I can make a bunch in one sitting and refrigerate and/or freeze them. The next few months will be busy with work, so having some already made things will be helpful. Next up, I would like to try individual egg cups and key lime pies.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Congratulations Annie!! "It" is adorable!

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

All the food pictures look amazing. It puts my cooking to shame.

Annie - congrats on the new addition to your herd. I remember you wondering if your young bull was up to the task. I guess you have your answer now. Love the dot on it's head!

We are still waiting for our third calf of the winter to be born to our youngest cow. The other 2 are doing well so far despite the ice and snow on Friday.

ETA - I'm watching 4 or 5 dozen wild turkeys scratching around in the snow covered field behind my house. A fresh turkey breast on the grill sure sounds tempting. Turkey season is still open for archery hunting until January 15.

• annie1992
    3 years ago

Jack, I guess that "back up" bull did the job, this one has that long Scottish Highland hair, just like the young bull did. I suggested naming the calf "Bullseye", especially appropriate if it's a bull. My Granddaughter watched Toy Story 2 and keeps standing at the fence yelling "Run like the wind, Bullseye". If you didn't see the movie it doesn't make sense but she thinks it's hysterical. LOL.

I still have another cow that hasn't had a calf yet, it'll be in the middle of the worst ice storm of the year or something, I'm sure. I've had them born in November, in February, in the rain, the snow, the ice. They're astonishingly sturdy, remember calves are born out on the prairie in blizzards in places like Montana and survive. My cows have access to the barn but never go in there in the winter, they only use it in the summer to escape from biting insects and the heat.

So what's for dinner? I think I'm going to high heat roast a little sirloin tip roast that's been presalted and is waiting in the fridge. I was going to do that last night but didn't. I also have to cook for Mother, deliver that tomorrow, I think since I have used oil from the cannoli, I might make her some doughnuts.

Annie

3 years ago

The head marking is hilarious. I first thought a fried egg, (Egglet), then a flower like a 'Daisy'. 'Bullseye' is perfect.

One of my favorite YouTube vlogs is Cog Hill Farm. They have a pig named Peaches, an Emu named Nugget, and many others. Adorable family. I've learned so much about chickens from their 10 year old daughter MaryCarl.

The standard NewYears day faire here like so many others. Ham, black-eyed peas, cornbread, cabbage. Next day sliders. Lots of soup from ham hock/leek top stock. Ham packets for the freezer...Ham twice a year is just about perfect. Soup season has arrived.

Horseradish cream on the sliders

Last nights Smoked Oyster Stew was the closest I've ever come to giving a meal a 10+. As well as the appy. Smoked oysters, then under the broiler. 10+. 10++ if I had classic oyster crackers but homemade croutons at the table was equally nice.

While I was at it, I smoked two small salmon filets, two pork chops previously SousVide then frozen. (smoked them frozen), and a chunk of frozen Romano from that big wheel. YUM !

I pulled the smoker inside the kitchen door as it was snowing this morning. Smells like a BBQ joint. (not a problem). The chicken last week we smoked longer, two pans. Last night was just 45 minutes, the oysters 30 minutes. One pan. Perfect amount not wanting to 'cure'.

Maybe a Smoked Salmon Corn Chowder tonight. Still coin-flipping with so many choices.

Our cheese making organic farm friends gifted us some cream cheese. I had planned to make a smoked salmon/chive 'shmear'. For bagels I have in the freezer. Bummer. Could not find it, head scratching NewYearsDay. Found the container in our bed spotlessly licked by a bad pup. 😂 Adore the look on their faces when confronting them with container in hand. Head lowered in shame. Not at all sorry they did it.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

🤣

• neely
    3 years ago

Oops just lost my post.

Anyway there has been great cooking going on here during the holidays.

Of all the meals we had including turkey, ham and salmon, it was the roast beef we had New Years Day, that we enjoyed the most. Of course gravy, horseradish and Yorkshire puddings helped that decision.

The roast was perfectly cooked as we like it when straight out of the oven where I sliced to test, but after tenting in tinfoil, it over cooked a little but we still liked it.

• John Liu
    3 years ago

We made cioppino last night. Tomato paste, fennel, star anise (didn’t have Pernod), other herbs like dill, lingcod, shrimp, scallops, mussels, white wine, a little vinegar.

Tonight I am winging it.

Deboned a chicken, seasoned, it is meat side down in a large pan on the lowest heat my burner will do, like the heat you’d use for melting chocolate or something, covered, and I’ll let it “slow dry cook” for ??? long, then flip and turn up the heat on the skin side. I have no idea if this will be anything. I guess I’m basically roasting at low temp.

Also have a pan of cut up cauliflower slow cooking on lowest possible heat in cream, milk, butter, shallots, garlic, salt, covered. I think that will get some grated cheese at the end. Or not, I sort am imagining that the cauliflower will melt into the dairy.

We’ve been having a lot of seafood and I felt like some chicken, but had no recipe in mind so am just playing around.

EDIT: Just checked my pans, apparently my burners’ lowest possible simmer is too low to actually cook anything, the chicken is enjoying a pleasant spa day and hardly breaking a sweat, and the cauliflower is still tough after 20 minutes. I wanted a long relaxed cook but this is silly. Up with the heat!

bragu_DSM 5 thanked John Liu
  • John Liu
    3 years ago

The chicken refused to slow dry cook, instead braising in its juice until I poured the liquid off in a huff and made a Defeated Gravy. Then the skin side refused to brown, so I gave up and shoved it under the Broiler of Defeat. The cauliflower was more successful, quite yummy actually.

DD disagreed with how this should be plated so she added spinach, balsamic and sriacha in a burst of millennial defiance. I stuck to the script.

bragu_DSM 5 thanked John Liu
  • annie1992
    3 years ago

LOL, John, I believe that sriracha is a very appropriate weapon used for a burst of millenial defiance!

Sorry about the gravy of defeat, though, I think I've made that a couple of times. (sigh)

Annie

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

I loved your verbage John!! I'm glad you finally did what you had to do to enjoy your chicken dinner.

Neely, your roast is perfect in the first photo. After resting, did it cook that much, as your plate shows? I love, love yorkshire pudding!

• John Liu
    3 years ago

Tonight: Victory Albondigas! There will be no millennial defiance.

3 years ago

😂. Nice choice on the soup, but I expect/predict a millennial intervention.

Time for the next 2021 one hundred. #389.

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    3 years ago

goodbye cold, cruel 2020