SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
autumncolor

Hardwood floor finishes and brands question and opinions

autumncolor
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Floors are for a new build open concept home (kitchen, dinette, family room, entry, office). Not concerned about re-finishing the floors. Have grown children that don’t live with us, no pets, don’t wear shoes in the house. White trim and doors.

Looking for:

5” to 7.5” widths but prefer 7.5.” Would like longer lengths so less seams.

No hand scraped, wire brushed ok if very mild (I know dirt gets trapped), no oil finish, no matte finish, not overly rustic (have traditional raised panel cherry cabinets but this is going in the entire first floor not just the kitchen), something classic vs. trendy, warm shade of wood, made in the US or Canada. From what I have read, 3 or 4+ mm wear layer is preferred but we aren’t concerned about refinishing the floor. Price point: $9 sq’ max.

I have a large sample of engineered hardwood by Maine Traditions – Camden Series in Sandstone. ½” thick 2mm Dry Sawn Veneer. White Oak 7.5” width. It is a matte finish, but it has a UV poly finish (will this show footprints from sweaty feet since it has a poly finish even though it is a matte finish?) Very light wire brush. US made. Very attractive IMO and I like that it is dry sawn vs. rotary. Board length: 60% of the boards have a max. length of 71” long. 40% minimum length is 2’ long. Are these lengths too short for an open concept floor plan with 9’ & 17’ ceilings? Will it look like patchwork?

Other Questions:

Are Naturally Aged floors made in the US? I researched and it looks like years ago they were manufactured in China. It’s says they are out of CA now, but do they source out?

Also looked at Karastan, Provenza (read a lot of negative reviews) and Hallmark. Hallmark and Naturally Aged were the least expensive. So many wider plank floors, at least where I have looked, seem to have a UV oil finish or are wired brushed.

Would Engineered Walnut be okay if it has a urethan finish? Interested in one that has brushed grain, ultra-matte sheen with a urethan finish, 3mm sawn veneer, 7.5” width.

Thank you!

Comment (1)