SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
b_cz10

Favorite color changing roses?

Bc _zone10b
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Curious what everyone's favorite color changing roses are. I didn't really know that some roses would be such chameleons, but I really loved it and enjoyed those types a bit more than the solid color roses I tried this summer.

My favorites (I don't have a large rose collection so limited here) are Bathsheba and Carding Mill. They both had such a big range of colors from yellows/oranges/pinks and reds. Really enjoyed watching the flowers change over time and with weather.

If you have any you love, please feel free to add them (pictures welcome!)

Bathsheba:

Comments (82)

• Bc _zone10b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Diane Brakefield - Diane, below are some more shots of Bathsheba vs. Carding Mill. You can see Bathsheba isn't always the orangey pink for me...that seems to be cooler weather. yellows are more hot summer weather. As much as I love this rose and it's health/growth, looking through my pics of Carding Mill remind me he's my favorite hah. It really has such a nice range of orangey reds which I would have never thought I'd love, to glowing pinks. I can see it's flowers glowing from across my property, I love it. Bathsheba is definitely a keeper so far though.

@joeywyomingzone4 Joey, thanks for the pictures! I love that Bright & Shiny. Never heard of it before but love it's colors. The flowers look like little lanterns. Queen Nefertiti is on my list actually, I love your pictures. Do you remember where you got her? Seems tricky to find. How big does she get for you in zone 4?

@Tammy (Southern Ont) Zone 4/5 USDA Tammy I really love that Mitsouko rose, how pretty. It reminds me of my Life of Party, but more subtle and prettier petal edges. Beautiful

@sara_ann-z6bok Sara thanks for posting some of your favorites. I love the glow on Dream Come True and each stage of the flowers colors. So bold, I love it. Sheila's Perfume looks pretty too, I like the different orange undertones it has in each picture.

• Bc _zone10b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here are some of my moonlight in Paris for anyone interested. Big blooms, glowy colors.

• Related Discussions

favorite peach/coral/apricot colored rose??

Q

Comments (15)
    I ordered another Whiskey Mac, as my other one may have died from the severe winter we had. I was recently informed that they are also require a bit more care, but I have to agree that they are well worth it! If you have ever had the pleasure of smelling a Whiskey Mac rose, you'll never forget it's name. The scent is truly mystical with a fruity/floral headiness that is not overwhelming, but very strong and delightful. One flower filled half my garden with it's scent and I had to wander around until I found the source. I was truly amazed at how much one lone rose could emmit so much perfume. It didn't even smell like a rose, it was more like a basket of freshly cut fruit and freesia. YUMMM!
    ...See More

Flowers that change color...besides gallica roses :)

Q

Comments (15)
    Perennial blue flax (linum narbonense) 'Heavenly Blue' can be grown from seed. It blooms in the morning, then the flowers are gone as the day heats up. The next morning, they are magically blooming again. They don't change color, but the bloom sequence is fairy like. I love this flower and it reseeds. Taking little room, you can weave these through other plants. I have some at the feet of roses. Linaria 'Canon J Went' is a toadflax that reseeds a lot, but the pale pink delicate spires on blue foliage is so nice. The blooms are constant and they look like teeny tiny snapdragons. My allium christophii bloomed back in April, but I still have the sparkler looking remains standing in the garden. I use wooden skewers to keep them upright at this stage. Some folks paint them, too! If you could use yellow and burgundy (looks good with blue), then I highly recommend coreopsis 'Redshift' as it changes from pale yellow and gradually turns more burgundy into autumn. It's about 3 feet high, but mine are very upright in full sun. I don't deadhead these and they just keep on blooming. Cameron Here is a link that might be useful: Heavenly Blue Flax
    ...See More

Show some favorite roses in different colors

Q

Comments (19)
    Your roses look great, Sara-Ann! Thanks for the cheer of your lovelies on a rainy late Winter day that has me itching for Spring. Agree more folks likely to see them here than the gallery. Couldn't hurt to double post there if you like. Longtime fan of America, too. Firefighter landed here last Summer as a band, sought for the positives you list & strong blackspot resistance in this no spray garden. Spent last season growing & branching out with foliage unmarred while I nipped the buds to encourage initial form. Thanks again for encouraging me to try this lovely rose!
    ...See More

Your most favorite fragrant roses from Roses Unlimited?

Q

Comments (126)
    Some bouquets of fragrant roses bought from Roses Unlimited. My all-time favorites from RU are: Sonia Rykiel (a dozen blooms per flush in 1st year as own-root), Versigny (the scent is worth buying), Poseidon (going to frost with 30+ buds), Summer Sun (compact & small for a Kordes rose), Savannah (non-stop blooming), Pink Peace (great for the vase), Sweet Mademoiselle and Firefighter (both last 5 days in the vase), Betty White, Twilight Zone, About Face, Liv Tyler, and many Austins that RU sold before 2021. Below upper pink is Sonia Rykiel, dark red is the Dark Lady (from RU): Below dark red is Munstead Wood, and and orange About Face, red is Firefighter. Below orange is America, light pinks are Gene Boerner (thornless), and blue is Poseidon. Big red is Peter Mayle (survives 5+ years in my zone 5a winter): Below yellows are Moonlight Romantica (smells just as good as Golden Cel). Upper light pinks are Princess Charlene de Monaco (now 10' x 3') needs space. Blue is Poseidon lasts 5 days. Below deep oranges are Sweet Mademoiselle, light left pink is Savannah, and reds are the Dark Lady (going into Nov. frost with many buds): Below bouquet is picked Oct. 29, 2023 before frost. Red is Veteran's Honor. Pink is Radio Times, white is Bolero, dark pink is Dee-lish, and dark red is the Dark Lady. All are from Roses Unlimited. Below large dark pink is Peter Mayle (eucalytus rose scent, so unique), light pinks are Evelyn, deep pink is Comte de Chambord, gaudy orange is Solitude (worth having for hot summer). Liv Tyler (right deep pink) never ball like Sweet Mademoiselle, Liv Tyler gives twice more blooms than Sweet M. Left dark pink is Pink Peace (worth buying with its buttercream frosting scent). Right light pink is Frederic Mistral (petals get spoiled often in rainy climate, worse than Betty White) Below was Liv Tyler in my garden at above 90 F, it's best for hot climate.
    ...See More
  • Bc _zone10b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sorry for funky leaves....that’s fish/seaweed on her

• joeywyomingzone4
    3 years ago

Moonlight In Paris is stunning!!!!

I got my Queenie from Split Mountain Farms in Jensen, Utah, they are supplied by High Country Roses so she is HCR stock. If they are sold out you could try calling Split Mountain, they are lovely folks and very helpful.

Bc _zone10b thanked joeywyomingzone4
  • Alana8aSC
    3 years ago

Sheila, Your and Jeri's plant of Anna Olivier are just DEVINE!! Where can I get one? I have her from RU , but all they carry is the yellow one :) Still beautiful though!

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

B - hooked is just a nice way of saying obsessed. LOL Join the obsessed club. :) :) I love your first picture of Bathseba and the second picture of Carding Mill....wonderful!!!! And wow!!!! Your MiP is breathtaking!!!

Sara Ann - GASP!!! GASP!!! GASP!!!! (the rare triple gasp!!) Your Dream Come True pictures (especially the first one) are insanely gorgeous!!!! Oh my!!!!

Tammy - I am in love with every Mitsouko picture you post!!! Even though it's supposed to have only a medium fragrance...I would buy this one (if I could find it) based on your photos!!!

Joey - Your QN does have such a wide color range! Beautiful!! I think my favorite picture is your 2nd one!! And I really love the last picture of your Bright and Shiny!! :)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 years ago

I got Anna Olivier from Greenmantle. It probably is from Jackie's plant. The "yellow one", Alana, that is Etoile de Lyon is also a wonderful rose here but no color changes. My AO is showing more color as it gets older.

• Alana8aSC
    3 years ago

OHH Awesome! I am at the end of my ordering for now! Looking forward to my new ones I have coming Will keep that in mind for next Spring! LOL Thanks so much!!

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    3 years ago

Tammy, I was wondering if anyone had photos of Mitsouko to share. I hope Palatine brings it back someday. There are a few with that coloration - Easter Basket, Music Box and Life of the Party. I'm surprised someone hasn't posted any of those.

How well does Mitsouko do in your winters? Is yours on multiflora?

Joey, the Queen is high on my list, thanks to your photos! Trying to hold the ordering down to just one other vendor besides my local one this year. When a rose can look like that AND do well in cold zones, it's a must have.

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

B, thanks for more photos of your gorgeous Bathsheba and Carding Mill. I think I have them straight. I like the lushness of Bathsheba in the first photos you show. But I'm also impressed with your Moonlight in Paris. The color shifts and glow of that rose are wonderful. I don't know if our harsh sun would fade everything out here. But that one is so tempting. Wouldn't it be fun to drive to Texas (after the pandemic goes away) to check out the rose growers and sellers around Tyler? You could hit a few public rose gardens on the way down. Save Austin for last when you let them know about how you are tired of their Evelyn games-ha. If I were younger, I'd love to see all those rose fields. Ben in Texas could give you the scoop on which places to visit.

Tammy, your Mitsouko is exquisite, especially the last photo. What a delicate looking beauty.

Joey, Bright and Shiny is (I hate to use the word) adorable. What color changes, and I love her cheery blooms' faces in the second photo. Diane

Bc _zone10b thanked Diane Brakefield
  • Bc _zone10b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Diane Brakefield that would be a fun trip. I bet it would be inspiring to see fields of roses. Can't imagine how beautiful it would look. Could always bring my clippers and accidentally find some Evelyn cuttings on the ground too.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Flowers -yes, if Palatine gets Mitsouko...I'm sure we'll collapse their system again!! LOL

• Tammy (Southern Ont) Zone 4/5 USDA
    3 years ago

Flowersaremusic,

I've had no problem with Mitsouko wintering in my area. I bought her right from Palatine. I live a little over an hour from them and figured if they can grow her, so can I. She was listed on their website as 5B so I didn't think anything of it until everyone started asking me how she did over my winters.

Totally fine. I just heap some mulch around her base in November like I do for all the roses. She's a happy camper.

3 years ago

Tammy, I agree that if Palatine can grow it, I am willing to try, and if they say z5, I believe them. Mitsouko is listed as z7 on HMF, if I remember correctly. So far, I have been thrilled with multiflora root stock.

Carol, I fear you are right, but I will still try, even though I can hardly put two words together that early in the morning when we on the west coast have to start trying to get through.

• Tammy (Southern Ont) Zone 4/5 USDA
    3 years ago

Yes, I think the info is still up, even though the rose isn't available right now.

I had no idea it was listed elsewhere as zone 7. LOL

I tend to believe it's a 5B since it's several years old now in my own Canadian garden.

https://palatineroses.com/rose/mitsouko

3 years ago

Thank you, Tammy. That's encouraging.

• seil zone 6b MI
    3 years ago

I can't believe no one had put the amazing Double Delight on here yet!

Bc _zone10b thanked seil zone 6b MI
  • Bc _zone10b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@seil zone 6b MI oooh Seil, that's what I'm talking about. Beautiful variations. Those are all the same plant? I love the last picture the most but I think it's even prettier combined with the first two color variations.

• seil zone 6b MI
    3 years ago

B, those are 3 pictures of the SAME bloom taken over a 24 hour time period. DD is what is called a phototropic rose. It changes color with the amount of sunlight it receives. So every bloom will have varying color depending on the weather.

You can look up phototropism and see there are several others that do this. The breeder John Sheldon has a few.

Bc _zone10b thanked seil zone 6b MI
  • MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1091 feet
    3 years ago

Mutabilis is one for me; and I can't grow it here. (No surprise). It did survive four seasons in what it clearly considered to be a frigid wasteland of a garden though. I adored the way it changed from apricot to soft yellow on into pink, and finally, palest crimson here before dropping off. the growth was so fine and beautifully branched on its own.

Sigh Like Mad stated long ago for others like myself: "Permanent Pot Plant"!

Steven

Bc _zone10b thanked MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1091 feet
    3 years ago

I also have and enjoy the colour change of my Lady Emma Hamilton, Lady of Shallot, Remember Me, and I can't believe I nearly forgot- Chicago Peace! I've shared these elsewhere (sorry guys!), but these are all the same bloom over several consecutive days.

Steven

Bc _zone10b thanked MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1091 feet
    3 years ago

Sorry; this goes with the colour changing aspect, but limited photos because of the "host". My Chicago Peace has also given me very richly coloured buds as it does, but then surprise! they open as 'Peace' instead! I have 'Flaming Peace' coming this spring too!

Steven

3 years ago

Steven, I would love to grow Mutabilis, too, but it would be short lived, if it lived at all. I don't grow a single Peace rose and I love them all. Thanks for sharing yours.

I forgot Mary Magdalene varies in color, much like Moonlight in Paris. In fact, their blooms are similar.

Mary Magdalene can be anywhere from cream to yellow to peach, and sometimes, all at once.

Bc _zone10b thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    3 years ago

I don't think these roses are what B, the OP, had in mind, but I'll take a chance and post them. Winchester Cathedral changes back to Mary Rose frequently, sometimes a whole bloom, and sometimes just a petal or two.

More unusual was when Colette couldn't decide what color she wanted to be and produced this bloom. I love these surprises.

I don't think either of her parents are yellow, but her off spring is Lunar Mist, a soft yellow.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 years ago

Oh I want Mary Magdalene something fierce!

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    3 years ago

Wow! That Colette bloom is so unique and beautiful.

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

I wish my Colette would occasionally produce one of those cool blooms, Flowers. I think Mary Magdalene is my favorite with the more subtle painterly look. I wonder if this is a common response for MM.

I've posted this guy's weird color changes before. Wild Blue Yonder has been blooming differnet colored blooms at the same time for years. I used to think it was heat causing it, but I paid more attention this year, and the most pronounced changes came in fall when temps were cooling. So here's my Clown Prince, Wild Blue Yonder. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Pay no attention to that last bit of artwork. I'm not doing that set of pics over. Diane

3 years ago

Sorry, but I'm definitely paying attention to the artwork. Clare's talent is incredible. She surrounded you with Augusta Luise. Next time we're asked to post pics of ourselves, you can post this one.

My Wild Blue Yonder has been moved so many times, he's not very big or very good looking. I only get one or two blooms at the same time. He may get moved again next spring. I ought to quit torturing him. I wonder if the light and dark blooms at the same time are just unique to yours.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Seil - such really different looks! Beautiful!! Oh, I had thought those were 3 different blooms...those are all the SAME!! So wonderful! Oh wow---and then 3 other totally different looks! So cool!

Steven - Chicago Peace was my first thought too. It's an incredible rose. I'm too lazy to try to find my pictures, because I think they got lost when my computer crashed awhile ago. I love your pictures!! I especially love your 4th picture! What a rose!

Flowers - oooh!! Your first picture!! GASP! And I love your Colette!!! Beautiful!! Such a good idea that Diane could post that as a portrait of herself!!

Diane - I'd grow WBY in a heartbeat if I could be sure it would grow as beautiful as yours!! Obviously not as big... :) And what a gorgeous picture that Clare did!!! I love it soooo much!!

Bc _zone10b thanked rosecanadian
  • Bc _zone10b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@seil zone 6b MI Seil, those flowers are so beautiful, I like how each one looks almost hand-painted. Bold contrast and nice color washes. Thanks for the pictures and info on phototropism and Sheldon. I'll look him up.

@MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1091 feet Steven, that Chicago Peace rose is awesome. So big next to your hand and it has nice color shifts, even with the lighter Peace tones. I don't think I've heard of Remember Me so I'll check it out.

@flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA Thanks for the pictures flowers! I love your strange Colette colorations. I hope mine survive their first winter...they didn't seem to do much this year but I don't think I've seen a picture of them that I didn't like, including that strange one of yours. I like surprises too, I think that's why I liked the more variable roses this year. Always nice to see something a little different in the blooms. I have Mary Rose coming...not Winchester though. I have to find a spot for one once I see how Mary does here. I've seen pics of them both having the splotchy reverse colors and I like it, they end up looking like someone forgot to finish painting them :)

How big does Mary Magdalene get for you? I hadn't heard of her but I like her Moonlight in Paris colorations.

@Diane Brakefield Diane, I love your Clown Prince (and the name) I like the close up with it's petals open, they have such a nice gradient from the gray purple centers to the rich toned outer petals. Thanks for sharing! I also really love that artwork! Is Clare a family member? It reminded me a little bit of one of my favorite artists, Alphonse Mucha. He incorporated lots of beautiful flowers and nature into his work too. Your piece is beautiful.

I wish I had more roses to share with these traits, but I think I've posted all of mine. My Crown Princess had some beautiful variations too, I'll add a pic of her. She was flowering a lot, but after a couple of flushes early summer she took a nap and hopefully spent time growing underground. These aren't the best photos to show her variations but she would often open up a pink-salmon color and then fade through some really nice yellow oranges to a light peach. Most of the time the color would be this tangerine orange that I really loved..but my photos are of them faded once I cut them. No matter what color they were, the flowers always looked fresh and smelled great. Hoping she'll do even better next year.

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

B, your Crown Princess is lovely and I particularly like her blooms in the bowl. She looks ready for a fancy tea party--as the center attraction and maybe, edible. She does look good enough to eat. I've seen a lot of beautiful pics of this rose, and read mostly good stuff about her. She is so tempting. I think it's to be expected that new roses take a long break and grow both topside and underground. You're doing a tremendous job. Thanks for your comment on Clare's work, which I'll pass along to her. I like Mucha's art very much. Clare is my granddaughter, a recent graduate with a degree in illustration. The piece above was in her senior show, which this year had to be held on line. Almost all her work is done on the computer, using special software and pens with special electronic nibs. Needless to say, she goes through those pens pretty fast, so I'll be giving her one for Christmas. Oh, I'll tell Clown Prince you like his blooms. That rose is a real zany. He's huge and his canes break off right at the crown easily in wind. And before I can get mad at him, he's got a new cane bursting forth, right from the graft. He's probably my most vigorous rose, and the biggest cane loser of all. He should be on a rose show called "The Biggest Loser".

Flowers, thank you again for the many compliments you have made about Clare's work. I assure you that is not me in the drawing. You know how blasted old I am. I hadn't thought of her roses as Augusta Luise, but I think you're right. Why have you had to move your WBY so many times? Quit torturing him, and pour on the fertilizer and manure. I'll be interested to learn what happens.

Carol, thanks for your nice comments. I wish you had the space to try WBY, but I couldn't say if those color changes would occur in your rose, but WBY's default color is a rich winy purple. I don't know what happened with posting those photos. I had to try twice to get the first bunch to post, and when I clicked on the final pic to post, with my new, very sensitive mouse, all of a sudden there was Clare's work instead of WBY, and they are not anywhere near each other in my file. This is what computer's do to me. The worst is when a bunch of stuff comes up that I don't want, and I can't get rid of it. Diane

• Bc _zone10b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Diane Brakefield Thanks about Crown Princess....when I uploaded the picture I was thinking that same thing. They look like little meringue desserts or something. I can tell I'll like her even if she's not the greatest rose in the world. Her colors are all pastel variations, but saturated, not bleached out. Those are some of my favorite colors so I enjoyed whatever they ended up looking like this past season. That's a beautiful piece by your granddaughter, and congratulations on her graduating! She's very talented, I love her line work and the motion she captures. I went to school for illustration too, it's my favorite thing (illustration/painting). I was just working on my ipad with my drawing pen this morning. Technology has come so far, it's amazing. She's going to love that xmas gift! The best gifts are always things I can use in the studio.

3 years ago

Diane, I bet Clare was thinking of you when she created that piece of art. It is reminiscent of you and Augusta, one of your most loved roses. My WBY was originally planted in the wrong place, then moved to a 'holding spot' where he stayed too long, then another, and died down to one cane. I moved him, or 'it', to a better spot, but he's the wrong shape and size for that bed, so he's probably moving again in the spring. He's not happy; can't imagine why. I had his cousin, Outta The Blue, but that one grew backward from the start.

B, Mary Magdalene is about 4' tall and wide here, and a little sparse. When I bought her, I thought she was new, but it was her last year on the market. Palatine might have her in their January list of old Austins. She's still around, I think. Moonlight in Paris is a perfect substitute. We'd love to see some of your artwork, if you're so inclined.

Bc _zone10b thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Flowers, poor WBY. I hope he can withstand one more move. I think Moonlight in Paris is just stunning, and though I like Mary M very much, I think I like Moonlight better--yours, anyway. It's outstanding.

B, I agree with Flowers about seeing your work. I just realized that you had giving me a link so I could view them without going to Instagram, and then I got busy Thanksgiving weekend, and I forgot to take a look. I'm going to find your thread with that link. Do you work as an illustrator? Free lance? Right now, Clare is free lancing and is actually finding work, but I know it's hard to get started. She has done a little computer animation, and is an acer on the computer. But she doesn't want to go in that direction. I think she'd do well as a children's book illustrator, but that is a shrinking field, in my opinion with so much competition for kids eyes online. She's currently doing illustrations for some new children's software about learning to read. I saw the illustrations last night, and this kind of work she does well, but I don't think it's very challenging. In her early teens, she started doing graphic novels in installments on her website, and had lots of followers. In her senior year in high school, she illustrated and wrote a children's book on the computer and had it published by Amazon, where it sold. This was her advanced placement art project. I wish she'd do more of those books. Diane

• Bc _zone10b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA Flowers, thanks for the info on MM. She looks beautiful, so I'll keep an eye out for her since I enjoyed Moonlight so much this summer. I hope it does ok over winter.

@Diane Brakefield I don't work as an illustrator, no. I went to school for illustration, but once I was there I fell in love with oil painting. Then I went to grad school and headed in a more abstract direction. My true love is images (illustration) though, which I think is why I love photography so much, even though I have no training in it. It gives me a chance to arrange what I see around me into interesting images. I still make abstract paintings, but over the last 2 or 3 years I've started making more image based paintings like my older illustration work, and this photo work that's kind of based in surrealism. My newer paintings aren't online yet since I'm very picky and a perfectionist, but they're getting close to where I want them to be.

That is so great that Clare is able to find work right now and it sounds like she's done a lot already for her age, which is excellent. I love both graphic novels and children's books. I went into undergrad with the hopes of becoming a penciller for graphic novels. Got sidetracked with shiny oil paint ;) but trying now to combine those two loves of mine. Please feel free to share her book on amazon or other work if she's ok with it. Below is some of the photography I do that uses some of my favorite plants. Next season I want to try new setups with roses.

https://bphotowork.tumblr.com/

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

I'm so glad you posted this link. I hunted for your thread that had another link and couldn't find it. Most of the wondrous plants you've photographed I don't know at all. You have been collecting exotics and succulents for a while, it looks like. What a collection, and your photos are exquisite. They show such meticulous preparation, and some do look like the oil paintings you like so well. What are those berries in the photo with the chunky white blooms, and what are those blooms? Are those Bells of Ireland in one of the pics? That's cool what you've done with a more common plant. But most of these plants look like they came from another world I don't inhabit--but they are beautiful, and what varied structures they have. Sorry to go on so much. I would think you'd have a big market for these photos.

I've posted these photos before on the seasonal thread, I think. The starry sky was a theme Clare used in her show. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Illustrations more for children below. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

This piece was a winner of a city wide contest for artists to submit "art" to cover the city's traffic control boxes at big intersections. Decals were made of the art and applied to the boxes. I like it because the kids are gardening. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

• Bc _zone10b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Diane Brakefield Clare's work is beautiful. She has great drawing ability and really beautiful clean line work. I love her starry sky works, she's playing with space and proportion so nicely in those. The first two works (red headed female and green mountains with black circular sky form) would look really nice together as a diptych. They balance each other beautifully. The kids with cacti are my favorite though. Really nice space and proportions in that one and all of my favorite plants :) Even a little rose tree. Looks like she did well at school and has great training and skill. I also really like that cute image of the girl with the puppy cart on her bike. Nice perspective and shapes in that piece.

Thank you for the kind words on my photos. Most of those plants are from my tropical plants or from leftovers I'd get at the Chelsea flower market in nyc. I got to know the guys at some of the shops there and they would give me leftover cuttings if I visited early in the morning. Those are Bells of Ireland :) To me they look like underwater plant life and I love how sturdy and structural they are, but how much motion they have in their design. Most of the other plants are bromeliads, protea, or ginger family. The big white flower with the berries is a white torch ginger. I'm bummed because I don't remember the name of those berries....I'll try to remember today though. I love ginger flowers, they're so odd and have such nice coloration and surface texture. I love how plants remind me that mother nature always wins in the creativity/artist department. The structures she creates are so overlooked by most people, but when you really take time to look at everything around us (or in our gardens), you start seeing how amazing she is as an architect, sculptor, and painter :)

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

I'll write more later, but I love what you said about the structure and architecture of plants. I would have never guessed that the big white flower was ginger. That's so wonderful. I grew Bells of Ireland for several years and it's pretty persistent--one way of saying it can be invasive. Here's another starry sky piece of Clare's. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Diane - my faves of Claire's work is this last one, the candy corn one, the 2nd one and the deer one!! She's really good...and I'm glad that she's getting commissions!

B - so unusual! My faves are 6, 8 and 9!! Please show us more when you get them done. :)

Bc _zone10b thanked rosecanadian
  • Bc _zone10b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@rosecanadian Thanks rose! Appreciate it :) I didn't get a chance to make any new photo work this summer, but next year I'm going to build some new setups with my roses. Will be fun to make some structures with their blooms. I think one of the things that attract me to their flowers so much is how they look like these big, light fluffy/messy puffs of color, but at different stages, you can really see the complex structure of the petals. It's an pretty dynamic. That, and how brutal the plants can look with the big thorns and then these light-fluffy flowers floating all through the thorny branches.

@Diane Brakefield I love that latest painting of Clare's that you posted. I focus a lot with hard lines vs. organic forms in my work (man-made vs nature). Her painting does that beautifully with the subtle star filled sky contrasting the beautifully colored walls around the figure. That piece is how I'm feeling after this year, oddly enough. Sometimes the best thing to do in this chaos is to just sit and look out the window or up at the sky. It's beautiful, thanks for sharing.