SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleevendog

Biscuits....yet another thread

I did search here and found many over the years. Trying a new one this go around. Ann-t's are excellent, Ruth Reichel's are good.

Trying the test kitchen...DH is game. He is the roll, bread, and biscuit guy.

Comments (52)

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We bought a bulk bag of flour last April. In the freezer in 600gram bags for Boule. It is KingArthur special 'patented' bread flour for bakeries. From a wholesaler. (all we could get at that time).

Should be fine. Looking froward to the effort. Mostly for a good turkey biscuit slider tomorrow.

• colleenoz
    3 years ago

You should really use soft wheat flour for biscuits, not bread flour. They may turn out tough.

(Soft wheat flour is why they traditionally eat biscuits rather than bread in the South, as in the old days it was harder to make good bread with the local flour.)

• Related Discussions

Another soapstone thread. Smoke from Italy.

Q

Comments (8)
    @leela4 This is an old thread, but I wanted to add that Smoke Soapstone is still being marketed in 2020. I've just been sold a remnant of it for a bathroom countertop which looks more like the photo that @leela4 posted with a medium green background and veins of pale yellow. I cannot scratch it with my fingernail, but I can lightly scrape the edge of the remnant with the handle of a thick plastic spoon. The stone looks darker when wet, almost black, which would be similar to the appearance if oiled. I anticipate that it will be a durable stone given its relative hardness to some other soapstone varieties that can be more easily scratched. In a bathroom, water and heat resistance (for hairstyling tools) are more important than scratch resistance would be such as in a kitchen, so soapstone of almost any variety would be well suited to a bathroom, I think.
    ...See More

Another weekend getaway thread... Poconos??

Q

Comments (31)
    Even though sas95 picked another spot, I'd like to put in a good word for Milford, PA. I've spent a lot of time there! It's a really cute historic town with lots of nice shops. The Hotel Fauchere is a great place to stay and they have a very good restaurant. Their sushi pizza is one of my favorite things to eat! Grey Towers is a national historic site and absolutely gorgeous. The gardens are beautiful in spring and summer. It's run by the US Forestry Service and is free to enter. Great place to bring lunch and enjoy the view. Milford has(in pre-covid times) a couple of fun music festivals, a food festival, a nice weekly farmers market and Grey Towers sponsors a 'Wood Festival' which is interesting. Another nice boutique hotel is The Ledges Hotel in nearby Hawley. It's part of a historic silk mill built on waterfalls off the Laxawaxen River. Great spot for dinner too. The Settlers Inn, just up the road is a historic Craftsman Inn for lodging and dining. Lake Wallenpaupack is the largest lake in the area and offers boat tours, boat, kayak and SUP rentals and some nice restaurants. Pike County is not really the Poconos. The best activity is it's many, many waterfalls and hiking trails. Raymondskill Falls, Bushkill Falls, Shohola Falls and Child's Park all have spectacular waterfalls. All these streams empty out into the Delaware River. We've kayaked and rafted down various parts of the Delaware. It's really a beautiful area.
    ...See More

Another 5:1:1 thread….

Q

Comments (2)
    The hot, unrelenting sun here does seem to burn off water very quickly. FWIW, something that's helped me with retaining water in outside pots is a saucer of some type, so water doesn't just drain right out. You do need to be vigilant about water standing for more than a couple of days tho, because of mosquitoes. I have some of those mosquito dunks and break them into pieces to control the larvae. There's also a water retaining gel product you can add to potting mixes - and some potting mixes come with it already mixed in.
    ...See More

Another soup thread. Must be freezer friendly

Q

Comments (13)
    This sound a little wild but it’s quite delicious: pureed butternut squash soup made with clam broth. I don’t have a written recipe (an excellent French chef who worked for me made it) but essentially the cubed squash is simmered in the clam juice and then pureed while blending in some room temperature butter bit by bit. The clam broth lends an unusual sweetness.
    ...See More
  • shambo
    3 years ago

The ATK video uses King Arthur AP flour specifically for the higher gluten. They’re following a special technique in which the high gluten flour is needed and makes a big difference, according to them, in the final outcome. They’re going for super flaky biscuits.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Good grief. We are in a tragic global pandemic. We made biscuits. They came out great. Biscuits. Simple biscuits.

Not searching for specific flour Thanksgiving morning. I have flour.

Such odd responses. 🙄

• bbstx
    3 years ago

YAY! They turned out great! What more could you ask for. (That sounds a little snarky, but I mean it sincerely.)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

Biscuits are not something I grew up with. My parents were British and the closest thing to a biscuit is a tea scone - less buttery and slightly sweeter. And my mom was not a baker anyway.

Since my local grocery store bakery makes their own biscuits, I usually just buy them when I feel the need. But I do have a great recipe for sweet potato biscuits and I have done buttermilk biscuits a few times. As a single, not something I want or need to do often.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Gorgeous Ann. And I'm not at all offended being a NewYorker...😜.

DH learned all his baking from his mother starting about 10 yrs old. Pie crust, breads, biscuits, monkey bread, brioche...he is the baker in the home. We had a blast trying a new method. Not at all stuck in one method, one recipe. Try new things.

We did not want mile high biscuits but did get many flakey layers. The sumac butter was for the bird so not what we will use next time. (did not want to waste the butter from our friend that has an organic farm and makes butter and cheese....gifted last week.)...

• HU-350833463
    3 years ago

I'm seagrass. Not to fan the flames but I never liked biscuits and at 68 years old I still don't. They're too doughy and heavy - I don't care how light and fluffy you make them. I don't like pancakes, either..

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

TBH, grating butter seems too messy and too much work for my lazy behind😀

My go-to biscuit recipe is James Beard's from his bread book. He was a southern boy, I believe. I often use some yoghurt for part or all of the milk, in place of buttermilk. They come out perfect every time. I pat, rather than roll out the dough, and usually cut into bars/sticks with a knife or pastry wheel, and I also brush the tops with extra melted butter before baking.

And I use one of these:

I've learned that leaving uneven lumps of butter makes for flakier biscuits, so 1 more excuse not to grate, IMPO.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

I've made these forever! I've tried different recipes in the beginning, but always come back to this one. Now I don't even look for any other.

They recipe is out of our Canadian Living magazine from 2008. The recipe calls for 4 cups flour, and I cut the recipe in half. It makes about 9 biscuits. I also use frozen butter, grated.

Baking Powder Biscuits

• Lars
    3 years ago

Has anyone made biscuits with sour cream and 7-Up? I've seen recipes for them on line, but they all seem to use Bisquick, and I do not have that on hand. I'm not even sure what is in Bisquick so that I could make my own version of it, but at the moment, I also do not have 7-Up or sour cream. This recipe is supposed to simulate Popeye's biscuits, which are my favorite. I haven't been to Popeye's in a long time, however.

• colleenoz
    3 years ago

That’s the only kind I make these days Lars. I use about 3 cups of self raising flour (or substitute all purpose with 1 tsp of baking powder per cup), one cup of cream, sour cream or cream that’s slightly on the turn, and one cup of Sprite or 7-Up or soda water or plain tap water with a spritz of lemon juice. The dough (don’t handle it too much) should be fairly soft. It’s a very forgiving recipe.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

Cannot imagine how 7Up would make biscuits that taste like Popeye's...?

• wednesday morning
    3 years ago

I have never understood why a biscuit is described as, or is expected to be, "flakey".

Flakey is what you get when there are bits of fat that rest between layers of flour. That requires a rather high ratio of fat to flour. That is a pastry crust!

I make buttermilk biscuits that serve as the bread for a meal. They are soft and tender and with just a small amount of sugar to round out the flavor and to aide in the browning. It is not absolutely necessary to add a bit of sugar, but it is a nice addition.

My biscuit uses only 1 or 2 tablespoon of fat per cup of flour, depending on how they will be served. I use butter as the fat and melt butter in the skillet where they get baked.

I use the rubbing in method of incorporating the butter. Just rub it in between the palms of the hands.

I will flour my hands and scoop a hunk of raw dough, lay it in the oiled skillet and turn it over so that both sides have a bit of butter on them.

I also use buttermilk, always.

One cup of flour, for me, makes four biscuits.

Flakey is what I want pastry to be. With my dinner bread, I don't want something as rich as pie dough! I just don't understand that, at all.

Leftover meatloaf on a leftover biscuit makes a great sandwich. Make them at least as big as your fist. Some call them "cat head" biscuits because they are about as big as a cats head.

I see so many recipes that call for an awful lot of fat for a biscuit! That might be the desired result if you are looking for a biscuit to be rich with added sugar and fat and served as part of a dessert. . But, not with dinner. I want something more reasonable with dinner.

1 cup flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons sugar, 1 or 2 tablespoons butter, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda and buttermilk. That is a basic "per cup " recipe that I base most batters on.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

I like flakey biscuits that are in layers.

Often it's achieved by folding the dough onto itself like an envelope 3 or 4 times; this is a French technique. I don't always take the time to do that though.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    3 years ago

Here's a "Popeye's" biscuit recipe and a homemade "Bisquick" recipe. Have not tried either of them.

https://insanelygoodrecipes.com/popeyes-biscuits/

https://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-bisquick-mix-69051

• lindac92
    3 years ago

Wednesday, what you make is a quick bread not a biscuit. Biscuits are almost pastry high fat, flaky, .
    And the "recipe" for Bisquick is just self rising flour...no mention of shortening nor sugar.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

Yes to 'flaky' meaning you can pull the biscuit apart in layers.

As I stated above, if the butter is left in uneven blobs throughout the dough, rather than cut or rubbed into uniformly tiny bits, it helps create those layers, IMPE. Same goes for piecrusts.

Original Author
    3 years ago

We make biscuits once a year. A 'holiday ham' over the NewYears... maybe. Just maybe this year another batch. Something sturdy and flaky for next day sandwiches. A cook-free day of simple foods, ...no cooking but just heating up. With a side salad. Easy snack meal, 'cooks-day-off'.

Without a crowd this year...not the usual celebrations...we are making the best of it and having fun trying a new recipe.

We were not sure about a turkey this year. Availability pending. Lamb rack back-up. Never dinner rolls on our table. At any time throughout the year, breads are not in our diet daily.

Flaky biscuits in years past with a ham for a party. Quick drop biscuits/quick breads are a bit crumbly for a 'slider' turkey or ham sandwich.

DH, the 'bread baker', had a blast trying a new biscuit. Work stress and three covid testings weekly...?....chill out. Enjoy, and be thankful. Laugh a much as possible,... sorrow and tears for those we have lost. So many.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

I often make baking powder biscuits to go with a stew.

• wednesday morning
    3 years ago

What I make is a biscuit. It is a soft dough made with a cut in short fat and leavened flour and just enough liquid (buttermilk) to make a soft dough. I just use not so much short fat as is called for in most recipes as I prefer it not so rich for dinner. Mine are soft, tender and have that subtle butter taste, a nice bottom that is browned in the butter in the bottom of the skillet and a bit of nice browing on the top.

I make them about fist sized, as I have no cat to measure it by, and they are just the right size to spilt open, reheat in a hot skillet and layer leftover meat loaf onto , or some type of egg for a biscuit sandwich or dress them with a nice "creamed" meat gravy. I grew up with biscuits and gravy as a breakfast staple.

My mom used to make her biscuits by premixing her dry in a bin. She would then cut in the fat and moisten it right there on top of the bin and scoop up the dough into the skillet. That is the same way my depression era grandmother did it. I suspect that she may have used bacon grease in the skillet, though.

I am almost 70 and have been eating and/or baking biscuits for most of these 70 years. I find it to be somewhere between amusing and offensive to insinuate that I don't know what a biscuit is.

I use the same basic starting formula for any leavened flour batter or dough and vary it to create the needed chemistry. Slippery pot pie and dumplings are two variations of biscuits that I make with cut in fat.

Bisquick is something that I have never bought. It is, basically, just a leavened flour. As prepared food products go, it seems to be fine. I have encountered many a fine meal made with Bisquick. But, I prefer my own choice of flour and can balance the chemistry to make it do what I want it to. I have been honing that skill for a very long time.

A quick bread is defined as one that does not use yeast and is risen, instead, by interaction of a base and and acid. Many quick breads are made as a batter and may have eggs and a liquid oil, as opposed to a short fat/flour mix that is moistened into a dough. How the fat meets the flour, the type of fat, the use of eggs and the amount of liquid make the difference between batter and dough. A quick bread does not require time to rise. By that definition, all biscuits are quick bread, as they require no proofing or rising.

Does anyone remember the "angel biscuits" rage that swept through, probably sometime in the 70s? That used both baking powder and yeast, a great deal of fat and were quite rich and sweet. I never did understand why make a biscuit so complicated. Beside being way too much prep, they were also too rich. An angel biscuit is a biscuit that is has risen outside of its humble beginnings into a realm of yeasted breads....a no longer "quick" bread. I haven't heard mention of it in some years. Maybe it flew too close to the sun, you think?

• aziline
    3 years ago

The one thing I didn't think about in my biscuit search was what baking powder to use until I came across this post by Debra Wink. She's a microbiologist and bread lover. I now use Rumford for cakes and Argo for biscuits. She has other posts that are also very informative.

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/12997/baking-powder

• tami_ohio
    3 years ago

I have tried the 7-Up biscuits, and they tasted good, but I found the dough to be very sticky to work with. Any idea what I might have done wrong?

• colleenoz
    3 years ago

The absorbency of flour varies according to a number of factors, so sometimes you need more or less flour than the recipe states when you're making dough. Next time, if it's too sticky, add a little more flour.You want the dough to be fairly soft but not too sticky.

• tami_ohio
    3 years ago

Thank you, Colleenoz. When I made them, they were so sticky I couldn't get them off of my hands or the spoon! I even added more flour, but was afraid to add to much. But my recipe is one that has been floating around on Facebook, so maybe it was the recipe.

• wednesday morning
    3 years ago

I would recommend that the dough be adjusted for that by adjusting the amount of liquid that is added to the biscuit dough, rather than to adjust the flour after the fact.

Once your flour and fat is cut in together, any additional flour would not be the same as that is already in the mixing bowl.

Better to add the liquid carefully and not add too much. Of course, if you had added too much liquid you can't take it out and have no option but to add more flour.

Too much buttermilk in a buttermilk biscuit will make your biscuits spread out and not rise so high.

Agree that the dough should be soft. That will make a nice soft biscuit.

• tami_ohio
    3 years ago

Thank you, Wednesday Morning. It was the first time I had made the recipe, so I followed it as written. I will remember your suggestion if I ever make them again. I have to buy 7-Up special to make them, as we seldom have it in the house.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

FWIW, my biscuit recipe has 3/4 cup liquid to 2 cups flour.

P.S. Just made some this evening and want to brag on them a bit ☺️

This is what I mean by flaky:

• donna_loomis
    3 years ago

I love, love, love cream biscuits!

2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting

1 and 1/2 TBSP baking powder

1 tsp kosher salt

1 tsp granulated sugar

1 and 1/2 cups heavy cream

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add heavy cream and stir gently with a wooden spoon until dry ingredients are just moistened.

Turn our dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Using your hands, fold it one or two times so it becomes a cohesive mass and press it down to an even 1/2" thickness.

Using a 2” round cookie-cutter, cut out biscuits as closely together as possible. Gather together scraps, pat down, and cut out more biscuits. Discard any remaining scraps.

Bake the biscuits in a 400°F oven until risen and golden, about 12-15 minutes. Let cool slightly and serve warm.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

Those are pretty!

But surely you don't discard the last few scraps? I always gently form them into lumpy 'seconds' to bake alongside. Then I get to eat them right away 😄

• plllog
    3 years ago

LOL! Me, too, Carol, but I do it in the name of science, to test the batch before I serve them. Really. I promise. I make little samples with leftover cake and cookie batters, too. And pie. Really. Really. Not piggy here. Sure. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Really. ;D

@Aziline, the 'net cut out when I tried to say this before. THANK-YOU for the link. That explains so much! Most especially why whose kitchen I make biscuits in matters so much. :) Y'all should all read about the baking powders!

• donna_loomis
    3 years ago

Carol, of course I don't discard the scraps! I forgot that the recipe said that, LOL. It's not "my" recipe. I know I'm not supposed to, but I can't resist eating just a bit of the raw dough because it taste so good.

• lindac92
    3 years ago

As I said before, Bisquick contains flour, salt, baking powder and shortening. You can make biscuits by just adding milk to Bisquick, but they are not flaky and delicious like made from scratch biscuits are. I suspect that's the type of biscuit that Wednesday Morning is making.
    The biscuits in the recipe on the video contain a little more than 4 Tablespoons of butter per cup of flour.
    and I am 84 and have made and eaten lots of biscuits.
    Also, I made some of those Angel Biscuits just a few weeks ago.
    The first time i made them I had the whole family with at least 6 of the grand kids here, and knowing them ( there were 5 teen age boys and one girl!) I doubled the recipe. They ate them as fast as I pulled them from the oven....and I ended up making another quick batch so we had some to sop up the juice from the steaks!
    I am of the opinion that flour, salt, leavening and some liquid makes good stuff. Add butter and it gets better! Add more butter and it gets better still!....that goes for bread where you add the butter when it's warm or biscuits when you add the butter before baking.....and a little after!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

Butter makes everything better!

And right now is butter season - which runs from Thanksgiving to just after New Year's Day 😊

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    3 years ago

@lindac92 and @wednesday morning lindac, you stated: "Biscuits are almost pastry high fat, flaky," My definition of regular, everday, so good to eat biscuits that I have eaten all my life and I am 80 are those described by @wednesday morning. I have lived all over the world and never in any country have I had a biscuit that is pastry-like - not even in France. Personally, I wouldn't want a biscuit that tastes like pastry. Don't get me wrong, pastry is delicious in it's proper place, but the biscuit is not that place IMO.

Original Author
    3 years ago

It isn't pastry, not even close. It is a biscuit just like any other biscuit method with butter. Just adds more defined layers.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    3 years ago

@sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA). Lindac stated: ""Biscuits are almost pastry high fat, flaky." That is why I responded the way I did. Perhaps, I misunderstood. 😕😊

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

Have you ever rolled biscuit dough as thin as pastry crust and baked it? Thinking results would be like Goldfish or saltine crackers.

FWIW, I was thinking about James Beard's advice about biscuits in his bread cookbook last night, as I was making yet another batch. He tells you to make them thick and place them close together if you like them soft and spread them out, and/or roll them very thin, if you prefer them crispy.

• aziline
    3 years ago

I made yeast biscuits recently. I probably prefer them to any others I've made. But maybe that's because I suck at making biscuits :) They have baking powder in them so there is that biscuit taste and are also bread like so softer.

• plllog
    3 years ago

Carol, there's a restaurant in L.A. that's famous for their biscuits, where they make tortillas out of biscuit dough. I don’t know their method, but the texture is reminiscent of pastry. A bit drier than either, but that may be an adjustment they do for making stuffed quesadillas. Not crackery, and softer than a tortilla.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

I used a flour tortilla recipe that has shortening and baking powder in it - wonder if it's similar?

• lindac92
    3 years ago

I wonder what fat they use? My grandmother made lard biscuits....they were heavenly...but if she didn't have lard, she used crisco...not so good....

• plllog
    3 years ago

Their ‘tortillas’ are recognizably biscuity. Not as thin as an actual tortilla, not nearly as dense. But rolled flat and baked. I checked their website, but they only mention buttermilk. Wheat flour and baking powder are obvious. I use butter, but I don't have enough memory of veg shortening or lard biscuits to compare. My general feeling is that they're not as rich as mine, so maybe shortening. Doubtful it's lard around here. Too many vegetarians. Shortening is a lot less expensive than butter, but this place (pre-covidx19) is lines out the door for brunch on Saturday and Sunday, so if they're using butter, it's paying for itself. They may use a combo for the different sized fat globules and steam points. The actual biscuit and the tortilla are both very flaky.

• agmss15
    3 years ago

Strawberry shortcake with biscuits are a favorite old fashioned summer treat. Flakey biscuits, sweet berries and rich fluffy whipped cream. I don’t like it with the little sponge cakes my BIL gets for my sister’s birthday. (My family marks our summer birthday by what fruit was ripe)

Pre-pandemic I had a light dinner at a friend’s. A spicy roasted tomato and pepper soup and huge sourdough biscuits. The recipe is from King Arthur. It has become a favorite way to use up discard.

I think of of biscuits as rich, flaky and not particularly sweet.

On another note I was a particularly awkward kid. I found teen fandom fairly incomprehensible but I had two friends who were huge Bay City Rollers fans. Lol. I remember bringing ‘scones’ to school in my lunch box for an endless stream of band members birthdays. I would love to find the ancient cookbook I used. As I remember the recipe was more like a biscuit than most of what I have had as scones in my adulthood.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/buttery-sourdough-sandwich-biscuits-recipe

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Here's another pic of my regular biscuits. Someone mentioned using yeast in biscuits, isn't that an Angel biscuit or Cat's head biscuit type? I prefer just regular baking powder biscuits, no yeast.

Hubby loved raisins, so I put raisins in some.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Cast iron. Close together adds loft. Nice!.

This young blogger likes to do side-by-side. Linky, HERE

We have made so many of these over the years...

DH did enjoy making the TestKitchen ones and we both loved. (I have no patience for baking like he does)

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

You may not have the patience for baking but your happy spatula looks like it loves it :-D

Sometimes I do the french folding technique as you pictured, it just depends how much of a hurry I'm in.

The ones I made last weekend didn't get up as high. I can't find the best before date on my baking powder, but I bought it this year, so it should be good. :-(

Apparently that can be a common culprit.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

I test baking powder with my tongue. If it's lost its oomph, it won't fizz, or only fizz mildly.

• lindac92
    3 years ago

I would be making biscuits to go with my soup for supper...if I didn't already have bread rising!!
    But think I will snitch some bread dough and make me a little pizza!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!