SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missi_rogge

Drop in sinks-apron, workstation, size?

Missi (4b IA)
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Have had a lot of time to look at sinks while I wait for the work to get to that wall. We have laminate so has to be drop in.

I don’t think i can trust others to be mindful of boiling water etc, so composite is out (Much as I’d like to have a colored sink). I worry about chipping/scratching so cast iron is out. (I adore the idea of a pretty white apron sink and the pictures make me giddy, I know Kohler has a good warranty on the Whitehaven, I just worry) I think I have to do stainless.

Looking at apron sinks (it’s not a must have, just am under the impression it’s easier on your back when you’re short), and thought the Kohler Vault was the only drop in stainless apron sink, but then the other night I saw Ruvati has one as well. I don’t see any info on the apron height (the Vault having short and tall, and as I understand it, the short doesn’t require alteration to the doors on the sink base). The lip (?) on the Ruvati apron seems thicker than the Vault, and maybe that’s not an issue, but if having an apron sink means you’re “closer” than a standard sink, but the lip you reach across is the same width as the counter with a standard sink, I don’t know what you gain?

Ruvati also has a drop in workstation sink, both in apron and without. We don’t have a lot of counter space in the kitchen, so thought the idea of a workstation sink would be helpful?

The sink base is 36”, and until seeing Joe’s posts, I assumed the 33” sinks were the only size you could use. Now I know 36” base can fit 36” sink, and I see often “get the biggest sink you possibly can”. With not having much counter space in the kitchen—is the 36” a smart choice, or is it overkill? We do have a long run of counter in the pantry.

Any thoughts on my musings? I know it’s ”just” a sink, but we don’t have a lot of extra “justs” laying around, and I want to make the best choice, and hopefully not give the sink the side eye bc I don’t like it.

Comments (6)