SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
becky22546

Prep Sink, Cleanup Sink, Workstation Sink & garbage disposal question?

Becky
5 years ago

I really like the idea of a workstation sink and was confident I was going to get one until I posted my kitchen layout on here for comments. I got some great comments, but now I have more questions about the type of sink(s) & garbage disposals. Originally I was planning on an extra large workstation sink w/ 2 basins that would be used for everything. However, Mama Goose suggested I add a prep sink to the island & her explanation of workflow makes sense. Now I can't visualize the work flow without it. However, I still really want a smaller workstation sink. I was planning to use the cutting boards and other accessories on the ledge to keep all the mess contained to the sink. I'm not sure if it will work in the space though. Below is the current layout. Do you think a workstation sink would be too much? Also, for those of you that have both a prep and cleanup sink, how many garbage disposals do you have? If only one, which sink is it in?

Comments (51)

• dan1888
    5 years ago

I think the prep sink area will get the use that includes cutting, etc. A good sized single at least 24" for the main sink and both can have disposals.

• jmorawiec
    5 years ago

We have 2 sinks with a disposal on both. Our island has the prep sink and cooktop. So, I do pretty much all of my prepping there. I really don't use that disposal much. We used a small bar sink faucet for that sink. If I had to do it over again, I might do without a disposal and put a side sprayer instead. I find I usually use the disposal for clean up, in the main sink.

• Related Discussions

sink base size for garbage disposal/instant hot/filtered water

Q

Comments (3)
    Thanks for your photos and replies. Yes, we want the soap dispenser also. That's why we want ONE faucet for the instant hot and filtered water. That would be at least three "things" in total on the counter behind the prep sink: one faucet for instant hot and filtered water, one regular faucet, and one soap dispenser. Maybe four...disposal air switch as well? I was thinking of an undermount prep sink that is about 15" by 15" inside. I think it will work on the counter; I'm more concerned about underneath. I figure the rest of the cleaning supplies will be under the main clean-up sink and the dishwasher air gap will be there, too. Maybe I need to just buy all of the products ahead of time and see how it fits.
    ...See More

No garbage disposal in prep sink. Am I crazy??

Q

Comments (21)
    Sounds like I fit the description of someone you'd like to hear from. I have always had a disposal in every home for the last 30 years. Never been crazy about them, but I guess they are just sort of considered "standard equipment". This remodel was the first time I also had a prep sink. Guess what? I chose not to put a GD in EITHER sink. One of the simplest decisions concerning the new kitchen, and after 2 years, I have never had the slightest tinge of regret. And I do not have a septic, so that was never a concern. However, to each their own. Just because something is expected has never been reason enough for me to fall in line. I have just never found it to be necessary, so out it went. I have picked up one more use from this thread for my already well-used, non-GD prep sink... a great ice bucket alternative... I may have to try that. Aren't these forums the greatest?
    ...See More

Is it better to put garbage disposal under big or small sink?

Q

Comments (14)
    I was thinking about this recently when someone asked where I was going to put it but I ended up keeping with my initial plan to put it in the small sink for several reasons. My reasons were: 1. I plan to use the small one for prep and the large one for dishes, that way I can use the disposal with dishes in the sink. 2. I'll have less of a chance of losing silverware down the disposal if I raise kids here one day (and honestly I need all the help I can get to keep from doing this myself). 3. It will move the bulky disposal to the side and give me more room under the sink. 4. It is the way it was done in my house growing up so it just seems more natural. I know my reasons might be different than others but I just thought I would let you know what helped me to decide. -Stuart-
    ...See More

Prep Sink--Garbage Disposal?

Q

Comments (6)
    I put GDs on both my prep and cleanup sinks and am happy I did. Now that I have experience with a prep sink, I'd choose to put a GD on the prep sink if I HAD to choose one or the other sink. I compost bones, meat, paper towels/napkins, veg, and fruit. Still, little bits of stuff are always finding their way in my sink. I really don't have the patience to dig them out of a little basket on the drain. I don't know what our budget is or what other work you're doing so I can't comment if it's worth dropping something else from the plan in order to get the GD. Do you have one on your other sink? Do you use it often? For what do you use it? Prep? Cleanup?
    ...See More
  • User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I would have your prep sink where your main sink is in the plan or right next to fridge. I’m pretty sure you would be able to install a garbage disposal for this as well like that you’ll be able to cook, prepare and clean at the same time and have your other sink in the island

• cpartist
    5 years ago

I have a prep sink and main sink and a garbage disposal in both.

Why not do something like a 33" workstation sink for your prep sink. Nothing says a prep sink has to be a small sink. It's whatever works best for you and if it's a workstation sink, you don't necessarily need quite as much counter space since the sink has space for all the stuff.

• cpartist
    5 years ago

Claire, a double bowl sink is really one of the most inefficient sinks available.

Additionally the reason for the prep sink on the island is so you don't cross zones going from the fridge to the sink. There are some great threads in the New To Kitchen thread that explain about work zones and why they work so well.

• User
    5 years ago

I suggested for the prep sink to be where she cooks. She wanted a double basin why is it inefficient?

• lovingsunnysd
    5 years ago
    I am planned on adding a prep sink to my island as well :) but I am not adding a food disposal to the sink since I am only planning on using for rinsing & cutting fruits & vegetables.
  • User
    5 years ago

Your sink at the island can be both. You don’t need extra it will take up too much space

• cpartist
    5 years ago

She wanted a double basin WORKSTATION sink. That's different than what you showed.

• User
    5 years ago

Oh you mean this cpartist

https://www.lowes.com/pd/KOHLER-17-75-x-33-Stainless-steel-Single-Basin-Undermount-None-customizable-Hole-Kitchen-Sink-with-Drainboard/1000416265

the only difference is that you can place cutting boards. Anyway she should have this at the island and the prep sink in between fridge and range.

• Becky
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have a prep sink and main sink and a garbage disposal in both.

Why not do something like a 33" workstation sink for your prep sink. Nothing says a prep sink has to be a small sink. It's whatever works best for you and if it's a workstation sink, you don't necessarily need quite as much counter space since the sink has space for all the stuff.

You don't think a 33" sink in the island would be too much if there is another sink? I don't want folks to walk into my kitchen and think "this is the sink room...it houses the kitchen, too." :) I thought about doing a large sink in the island and smaller in the perimeter. I saw your pictures in another post. (Gorgeous!) It looks like that is what you did. Have you moved in yet? If so, does that work well for you? I'm assuming your prep sink is the smaller one. Do you think it would be weird if the smaller sink is used for cleanup?

• Becky
    Original Author
    5 years ago

the only difference is that you can place cutting boards. Anyway she should have this at the island and the prep sink in between fridge and range.

Claire, yes, that is more or less workstation sink. I was originally looking at a large workstation sink like the Kohler Stages 45. Hopefully this demo link will work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JacTxiVAhY

If the link doesn't work try googling it and watch the video. In addition to the cutting boards there are other accessories that sit on the ledge. When used w/ the sink it all becomes a workstation and you need less counter space.

That said, you make a valid point. One sink can be and has been enough for 43 years now. Two sinks would just be a luxury. :)

• damiarain
    5 years ago

Have you checked out some of the other ledge sink makes, like Create Good Sinks? 45" may be a bit large for the island, but there's lots of other sizes available. Another thought, if you have items on the ledge (ie cutting board, strainer, etc) then it won't look like a giant sink in the island per say =)

A kitchen reno is a luxury too - seems like short changing yourself to not get the best plan you can. Mamma_goose's makes such great use of your space, plus provides you the opportunity for a great feature wall with the range centered between the windows

This kitchen is a nice example where there are two large sinks, but that totally works for the owner and they look gorgeous!

• wilson853
    5 years ago

I do not think that you will regret adding a prep sink. My only suggestion is just to make sure that it is an adequate size. This is my sink.

product.html

It can also be found as the Nantucket ZR-PS-3018 or the Houzer NVS-5200. It is my favorite thing in my kitchen. I also put an under sink filter on the cold water line which is teed off to my ice maker. I like having the filtered water for cooking, cleaning fruits and vegetables and for the coffee maker. I was able to get rid of the Brita pitcher.

My clean-up sink is a Whitehaven farm sink with a disposal and pullout trash underneath. For me it is necessary to have a disposal at both sinks.

• wilson853
    5 years ago

Another kitchen which came to mind with two large sinks is nightowl's. It is somewhat similar to your layout.

[nightowls-2016-kitchen-reveal[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/nightowls-2016-kitchen-reveal-dsvw-vd~3702196)

• Becky
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Have you checked out some of the other ledge sink makes, like Create Good Sinks? 45" may be a bit large for the island, but there's lots of other sizes available.

Yes, when I first saw the price of the Kohler Stages sink, I started searching for cheaper versions and found Create Good Sinks. That is my leading choice right now. They just don't have any good videos on their site that shows how the accessories help improve work flow. :) When I was first looking at the 45" sink I had the sink where the stove is. If I do a prep & cleanup sink, they'll both be smaller.

Mamma_goose's makes such great use of your space, plus provides you the opportunity for a great feature wall with the range centered between the windows.

I really like mamma goose's layout, too. I'm just hoping I can get a smaller workstation sink to look right if I do it. I was really looking forward to cutting tomatoes on a cutting board over the sink and not have juices running on my counter. :)

Another kitchen which came to mind with two large sinks is nightowl's. It is somewhat similar to your layout. [nightowls-2016-kitchen-reveal[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/nightowls-2016-kitchen-reveal-dsvw-vd~3702196)

Thank you for the link. That kitchen is gorgeous and the 2 larger sinks don't look out of place at all!

• wilson853
    5 years ago

I agree with bbtrix about moving the sink to the right. I have 38" to the left of my prep sink which is on the refrigerator side, so it gives me plenty of staging space for items coming out of the frig and into the sink for prepping. You will also appreciate having the sink closer to the range so you are not dripping across the floor. I may be wrong but it looks like you have wall space next to the DW for a drawer base for dishes. If so, I would move the dishes there and use the space in the island for your spices, prep tools, and chef's drawer. I have a four drawer base on one side of my prep sink, and a pullout trash and two drawer base on the other side. The top drawer of the two-drawer base is used for my oils, vinegars, and cooking wines. I purchased a three-tier expandable shelf that fits perfectly inside the drawer and separates the bottles nicely. Also makes it easy to read the labels.

Becky thanked wilson853
  • wiscokid
    5 years ago

bbtrix, what kind of finish is on your island's countertop? And what is the wood?

• bbtrix
    5 years ago

@wiscokid - It’s Black Walnut finished with Original Waterlox.

• wiscokid
    5 years ago

@bbtrix, can I ask the source? It looks like wide plank and not edge grain, yes?

• bbtrix
    5 years ago

It’s wide plank. We purchased the planed wood from Craft-Art and built and finished the island ourselves.

• Becky
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@bbtix, love that island! Gorgeous! I was planning to do a wood counter on the island, but didn't think it would hold up well near a sink--especially an undermount sink. How long have you had yours? Have you had any problems with yours? Also, is that your only sink or do you have a cleanup sink too?

@wilson853, it looks like you have wall space next to the DW for a drawer base for dishes. If so, I would move the dishes there and use the space in the island for your spices, prep tools, and chef's drawer.

I don't really have room for the dishes next to the dishwasher. On the current plan the door to the dining room is there. (The double doors was a suggestion from Mama Goose, but my dining room has double doors on two other walls, so I wouldn't have any space for furniture.) You do bring up good points though. Maybe I'll rethink the location in an attempt to get at least one dish cabinet there.

• cpartist
    5 years ago

You don't think a 33" sink in the island would be too much if there is another sink?

Nope, I think it would be fine. The other sink I'd do a single 30" sink just for cleanup.

I don't want folks to walk into my kitchen and think "this is the sink room...it houses the kitchen, too." :)

LOL. One doesn't really notice a sink first thing. One notices the cabinets, the hood, the faucets, the backsplash, the granite, etc before they notice the sink.

I thought about doing a large sink in the island and smaller in the perimeter. I saw your pictures in another post. (Gorgeous!) It looks like that is what you did.

Thank you!

My smaller sink is on the perimeter because my smaller sink is the prep sink. I did that for one major reason. We're getting up there in years and I didn't want to be carrying food stuff across the aisle to prep it and then back across the aisle to cook it in case I was less abled in the future. My Mom could stand and prep at the counter but there would have been no way she could have carried food across the aisle with her walker.

Also because I wanted the fridge and DH's coffee station there (it's the tall cabinet to the right of the fridge), I really didn't have enough room for the dishwasher and a 30" sink in that space. I personally would have felt too tight into the corner.

Have you moved in yet?

Yes I'm finally in!

If so, does that work well for you? I'm assuming your prep sink is the smaller one.

So far it does work well for me. I do admit, it's a bit of a learning curve in that I'm right handed and the sink is now to the right of my prep area, but I am enjoying prepping with those nice windows to look out of and also having the room for both DH and I to work in the kitchen at the same time.

Do you think it would be weird if the smaller sink is used for cleanup?

Personally I wouldn't do less than a 28" sink for cleanup. My prep sink would be way too small for cleanup.

Becky thanked cpartist
  • cpartist
    5 years ago

Oh and DH and I tend not to leave dishes in the sink so having our cleanup sink on the island isn't a big deal.

Becky thanked cpartist
  • lucky998877
    5 years ago

Bbtrix, your wood top is stunning!!!

• Becky
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@bbtix, it looks like you have the Kohler Stages sink. Is it the 45 or 33"? Our islands are very similar in size so your picture is really helping me visualize! Thank you!

@cpartist, LOL. One doesn't really notice a sink first thing. One notices the cabinets, the hood, the faucets, the backsplash, the granite, etc before they notice the sink.

This is true, but I won't have many upper cabinets, so I guess I'll need to make sure the hood I pick is a true focal point. :)

• bbtrix
    5 years ago

Thanks! I love it too! It is the Stages 45.

How long have you had yours? Four years now.

Have you had any problems with yours? No water related issues. There are minor dings and scratches that I can spot repair and eventually fix with a sanding and recoat. But they aren’t noticeable enough to do yet.

Also, is that your only sink or do you have a cleanup sink too? It’s my only sink. The DW is to the left. I wanted to keep my long stretch of counter and we do not let dishes collect so it’s not been an issue.

Becky thanked bbtrix
  • Chessie
    5 years ago

"One doesn't really notice a sink first thing. One notices the cabinets, the hood, the faucets, the backsplash, the granite, etc before they notice the sink."

I think they definitely would notice the sink first, if it were one of those huge things, and especially if there were multiples. I suppose if you live somewhere that all the homes have high end kitchens, and multiple sinks are the norm, it would not be a focus, but 'round here where I live, yeah it would. I actually don't know anyone whose home I have been into that has multiple large sinks. But if your kitchen is that big, and you cook all the time, then get whatever works best for you.

• Becky
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I think they definitely would notice the sink first, if it were one of those huge things, and especially if there were multiples. I suppose if you live somewhere that all the homes have high end kitchens, and multiple sinks are the norm, it would not be a focus, but 'round here where I live, yeah it would. I actually don't know anyone whose home I have been into that has multiple large sinks.

We must live in similar places. :) I don't know anyone near me that has 2 sinks, much less 2 large sinks. We plan on this being our forever home, so we want things that we like/need, but we don't want it to be out of place with our area. KWIM? To be honest I had read lots of posts here prior to uploading my kitchen layout for suggestions and I had already decided I was not putting a sink in the island and no way did I need two sinks. I've never had 2 sinks and I've survived fine. However, after everyone here took the time to walk me through the work zones and the benefits of 2 sinks I can see how this could benefit my family as my kids get older and really start to help out in the kitchen. I'm guessing it is all going to come down to the budget! If I go with 2 sinks, they want be as large as bbtrix's, but I don't think the smaller prep sinks will work for me. If the budget only allows for one sink it will be as large, if not larger, than bbtrix's.

• alex9179
    5 years ago

I don't know anyone near me that has 2 sinks, much less 2 large sinks.

No one in my neighborhood/area will have a kitchen like mine. Induction is extremely rare, an (eventual) CSO isn't seen at all, two dishwashers is crazy indulgent, let alone the two big sinks. Most would have kept the 24" deep island with the cooktop. These are tools for my "job". I cook/prepare food daily and, if I have to start over, I'm making it work for me and my family. After budget considerations, I wouldn't care how different having 2 big sinks is from the neighbors. The proof is in the workflow!

Kind of off topic but I don't wish to emulate my neighbors choices ;) One wanted an island so badly that she moved her dishwasher right next to her cooktop, and on the opposite side of her dish storage, because she wouldn't have been able to open it all the way in the more logical place with an island! Also, she has to stand to the side of the wall oven and fridge for the doors to open fully. I tried very hard to steer her away from a fixed one and even set up moving boxes so that she could walk through it. The other two kitchens I've seen have some interesting choices, too. It's great that you're open to alternatives and it will serve you well in your remodel.

• Chessie
    5 years ago

I don't wish to emulate my neighbors choices

I don't think anyone even suggested that.

• alex9179
    5 years ago

Notice the wink. Said tongue-in cheek.

• DIY2Much2Do
    5 years ago

Having watched way too much HGTV, I find it interesting that almost everyone insists two sinks in the master bathroom is their birthright, yet many consider two sinks as an extravagant luxury in the kitchen. For me, it would be worth it to segregate the food prep and clean-up functions if I had the space.

• alex9179
    5 years ago

Ha, rings true for us. We'll have one in the master bath. We're hardly ever in there at the same time and no one wants to help like they do in the kitchen.

• Chessie
    5 years ago

DIY2Much2Do - almost everyone insists two sinks in the master bathroom is their birthright,

LOL! I have a 36" vanity in my master bath - only 1 sink. And only one in the 48" vanity in the guest bath. Quite frankly, if I were to be able to have two sinks, it would be in the bathrooms. For me, it would be far more useful. But alas, there is not enough room. I will have to make do with the one. Maybe one day when I win the lottery. :-)

• Chessie
    5 years ago

alex9179

no one wants to help like they do in the kitchen

Clearly you are surrounded by aliens.

:-)

• Virginia Vidoni
    5 years ago

I have been researching Houzz for help with our remodeling ideas for our kitchen. This drawing of your kitchen is almost identical to the design of a remodeled kitchen. I am wondering the same thing? We want the Kohler stages sink and disposal for dish cleanup to be against the outer wall and under the window. We also have a small sink in a long set of cabinet opposite side of the room for beverage center. Now we are looking at the Island (10 x 4) and trying to determine the size of the prep sink. I originally thought it would be a small sink, but now am looking at the 33 inch workstation sink with disposal. I am thinking this is the sink that will involve all the the kitchen prep work. I really don't think it will be too much sink - but have had all the same questions !!

• Virginia Vidoni
    5 years ago

Since your post was in June, did you finalize decisions?

• bbtrix
    5 years ago

vevmom, I’m curious why you would choose the Stages 45 for cleanup rather than prep? I use every bit of my Stages when I prep. It comes down to how you cook. I cook mis en place and use a lot of fresh veggies. My sink is filled with items in different stages of prep. The 33” would be too small for the way I cook but may be fine for yours. Take a look at the Koehler video if you haven’t already. Why not do a 30” single for cleanup and the Stages for prep? Also, if you have room to make your island a little deeper it will make a big difference to separate prep from seating.

Becky have you decided yet?

• Virginia Vidoni
    5 years ago

Hmmm I need to think about this. Actually, we both cook and would be using both places to prep, however, the main prep would be in front of the stovetop. I need to go see these sinks with my husband so we can figure this out. Thanks for your thoughts, I will take what you are saying into consideration.

• Becky
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sorry, for the late reply. I just saw this.

No, we've had so many other issues come up with the build that have required all my attention, I haven't had time to focus on this. I do plan to use 30"-36" sinks. I will let the final cabinet layout dictate the sink sizes, so long as we are in that range. If I have an extra 3" of wasted space, I'll go up in sink size, or if I need a few inches for the trash can, I'll go down a couple inches on the sink. The main thing I haven't decided on yet, is whether they'll both be apron sinks or one apron and one under mount. Or, one stainless steel and one fire clay/ceramic/etc? Oh boy, I guess I have a little more left to decide than I thought! I think lead time and prices will point in the right direction on material! LOL!

@vevmom, if your island is 10' long, I think the 33" sink will work nicely. That is still less than 1/3 of your island. I think bbtrix's photos above are great for helping to visualize this. (Thanks again bbtrix!) That island is 8' long with a stages 45. You'll have 2 more feet of island, plus a smaller sink. Let me know what you decide.

• muskokascp
    5 years ago

I have a 10' long island with the 33" Kohler stages at one end of the island. It works great as a prep sink and I would recommend it for anyone.

• Becky
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@muskokascp, love your kitchen. How do you like having your sink that close to the edge of the island? I love that you have a ton of uninterrupted counter space to the right of your sink, but wondering if you miss having a landing zone to the left of it. Maybe the Stages sink makes up for that?? I'm trying to decide how close to the end I should place my sink. I'd like to push it as far as possible to the edge, put I don't want to compromise function.

• XrayVision
    5 years ago

Hi, I am in similar situation and about to start kitchen remodel. What did you decide on, and after doing it anything you would have done differently? I am thinking of having 2 sinks as well.
    1 workstation type sink that would for food prep on an island for like fruits, vegetables, fill with ice and hold drinks when we have parties. 2nd sink for clean up, but really the work horse sink. Thanks.

• Becky
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I went with two sinks; the cleanup sink is a 33" apron sink and the prep sink is a 28" workstation on the island. I can't speak to whether I'd do anything differently. Today was the 1st day of cabinet install, so it will be several weeks before I get a chance to use it.

• PRO
    RCKsinks Inc.
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hello Becky. Curious on how the two sink option you chose is working out.

• Becky
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@RCKsinks, I really like having the 2nd sink. It is nice to have a "clean" sink for prep work when the cleanup sink is full of dirty dishes. Now pre-kids I would have laughed at that thought, since it takes maybe 15 mins to unload and then load the dishwasher before making dinner. :) However, my kids are still young and we don't get home from work/school until 6 and bedtime is 8, so that is a precious 15 minutes I can spend with the them. The dishes get done after they are in bed.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

So glad it worked out for you Becky. How about some photos!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths