SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kevin_rymer73

Size of hole for floor joist

Kevin
3 years ago

We are building a house and on a recent trip to the house I was looking more closely at the floor joists and plumbing in the basement. I noticed this hole was cut in one of the 2x10 joists to accommodate a 3 inch schedule 40 PVC drain pipe for a bathroom toilet that is above this location. The outer diameter of 3 inch Schedule 40 PVC is 3.5 inches and you can tell from the picture that the hole is at least a half inch bigger than that so this is likely a 4 inch hole. I know this exceeds the specifications of having a hole no more than 1/3 the total depth of the joist (9-1/4" actual depth) and I already see small cracking (also can be seen in the picture) on both sides of the hole spanning most of the joist. The cracking is not very deep and is not cracked on the opposite side.

What do you recommend doing in this situation? I really am not happy about it, and would ideally like some kind of brace plate installed to reinforce this area or perhaps have blocking installed perpendicular to the joist and create a box around this area. Maybe I'm overreacting and worrying for nothing? I know the size of the hole is not compliant but should I be concerned if the builder doesn't seem motivated to fix?

Comments (10)