SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meltedviking

Estimate for attic rodent exclusion

meltedviking
3 years ago

We have roof rats in our attic! We had an inspection yesterday (local company that combines handyman and extermination services), and I'm just trying to get a sense of whether these costs seem reasonable:

• $1,700 for exclusion - this includes inspecting roughly 200 linear feet of roofline (under the gutters) and sealing possible entry points with galvanized flashing; sealing a hole in our cellar door; replacing screens on our exterior exhaust vents; sealing crawl vents with steel mesh; patching a hole in the roof near the entry of our utility lines; sealing a few openings in our carport closet (that lead to the roofline); setting traps in the attic and basement; checking traps for 4 weeks; and a 1-year warranty
  • $1,500 to install 200 linear feet of gutter guards (includes a gutter cleaning) - we've been thinking about doing this anyway. We have a lot of tree cover, and I have to clean the gutters several times a year. From the info I got from the estimator, this isn't necessary, but it'll help ensure the roofline stays sealed. My research appears to indicate that this is in line with market cost in our area.
  • $1,600 to vacuum droppings from the plywood and beams in the attic; disinfect and deodorize the attic with a fogger; add 1600 sq feet of r10 insulation on top of existing batted insulation; and seal the pull down attic stair cover (this is more for heating cost than rodent issues)

This is our first home, and we've only been here for a year. I'm also not particularly handy. I have no frame of reference for which of these items is necessary and whether the costs are reasonable. The guy who performed the estimate seemed professional and trustworthy, and the company has great reviews. I don't have any real reason beyond my own inexperience to think I could be getting fleeced. The bottom line is that this is more than I expected to spend, and I won't feel good about it unless I've done my DD.

Let me know what y'all think. TIA!

Comments (3)