SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

Mouse Invasion! Do Those High Frequency Rodent Repellents Work?

LynnNM
8 years ago

For those who've known me here over the years, you probably already know that I have a rodent phobia. Dead ones totally get me for some unknown reason, but I hate the live ones, too. Anyhoo, last night as I was making dinner, I pulled out one of my pots and pans drawers under the cooktop and there was a lot of mouse droppings in there. Ugh, awful!!!! Thankfully, though, no actual mouse was present! So, dinner gets put on hold while I pull everything out of all 3 drawers and sterilize the drawers. The pots and pans went into the dishwasher on the sanitize cycle. They're now clean, sanitized and stacked on a fold-away banquet table in our living room until DH can eliminate this invasion.

This morning, I find more droppings in one of the drawers and I then find droppings on the counter in our bathroom and in our spa tub in there! And then, as I drive out of our attached garage and head to Home Depot, my 21 y /o DD finds a BIG, very dead packrat that had given up the ghost under my minivan! It was not in good shape at all, but being the sweetheart she is, she disposed of it while I was gone so that I wouldn't see it. I owe her big time for that one!

I stopped in Home Depot to talk to someone about those high frequency rodent repellents, but they don't carry them. I then checked at a nearby Walmart, but they don't carry them either! I did pick up more steel wool to stuff into any holes we find. I also bought this foam sealant in a spray can called Pest Block, which is made to seal up cracks and crevices where they may come through. We have mousetraps, but I wish that I could call the folks in hazmat suits to come and disinfect this entire house now! I feel totally creeped out by it all!

So, has anyone used those high frequency rodent repellents? Do they work? I have a dog, but no other pets. Will it bother her? Us? If you have used one successfully, which brand? Any brands that were duds? How many would I need?

I grew up a tomboy. I routinely rescue wayward tarantulas, gently scooping them up in my hands to get them to a safe place. I kill smaller spiders that I can't rescue with smack of my hand. Our 4-7inch centipedes get a quick smack with my shoe. I shoo away too nosey coyotes and bobcats. I'm not a sissy . . . except when it comes to mice, rats and packrats. I hate to be this way, but there it is. I am looking for any and all advice . . . and quickly!

Comments (54)