SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eikt90

New second floor heat pump system ... a few prelim questions

eikt90
10 years ago

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a few weeks, reading up on current heat pump systems and have learned a lot! We currently have a Trane XL1200 2.5 ton heat pump w/ 10k strip for the second floor zone that is on its last legs after 14 years.

Most of our neighbors have simply installed the current "hot-setup" around here, a Trane XL16i, but I'm hesitant to follow the crowd as I've read a fair amount of negativity related to humidity control, lack of on-demand defrost, the fact that it's first stage is not the best at heating, etc. I may have the wrong impression, so any corrections/comments appreciated.

I've had one Carrier certified firm out and waiting on his estimate. He surveyed the ductwork and says it's fine up to 4 ton. I don't recall the trunk size, but we have at least one return in every room with 12 total supplies, each good for 100-125 CFM. This floor is 1800 sq. ft. with fair amount of (mostly north facing) windows. He's going to provide load calculations. He's probably going to price a 3-ton system as two-stage Infinity systems only come in 1-ton increments as well as matching variable speed fan coil unit and Infinity stat. He did say we will have to upgrade the breaker and heavier gauge wire to the new outdoor unit as well as take out the attic pull-down stairs to fit fancoil. I've asked for a 4" media filter to be included.

I will also have another Carrier firm out as well as two Trane certified firms.

Question being, since design (component selection) and installation is so critical, how do I determine that the system will be installed and adjusted correctly? All of the firms are highly rated (Yelp, Angie's List, etc.) and I assume good at what they do. All are licensed and have been in business for at least 10, if not 40, years. Normally that would be enough, but what should I ask for as far as measurements and reports to ensure the system is installed and adjusted correctly?

In MD, we have a tough climate as summers are hot and humid and winters lately have avg. around freezing in the coldest months with this last month probably even colder with temps in the single digits more than I would ever have expected.

Thanks for any input. I'll post detailed estimates as well if you all would not mind.

Comments (26)