SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis_ma

Looking for Mom's Turkey Stuffing Recipe

artemis_ma
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I agree, none of you ever met her.

I watched her on a couple of occasions when I was a kid, plus she did give ma a copy of her recipe back in the late 80s or somewhere in the 90s, which I obediently typed up into my computer- and which no doubt sits on an inaccessible "floppy disk". somewhere.

At any rate, I haven't had this stuffing since the late 90s, as she passed in 2001.

(She called it "stuffing", even though it switched to be entirely a side-cooked dressing after health hazards arose with stuffing the turkey....)

She may have developed this recipe from her grandmother - we hailed from Kentucky - but I really don't know.

If you have a recipe like the below, let me know! I may be missing key ingredients and such...

Stale bread crumbs

Jimmy Dean (or similar) sausage meat

Celery

Onion

Sage

Salt and Pepper

It did NOT contain:

Corn, dried or fresh fruit, any nuts whatsoever. (Thankfully.... so don't suggest I add any of those. I wouldn't mind cornbread, but it won't work with my memories...)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am also attempting this year to re-create her gravy but that should be simple enough:

Simmered neck, gizzard, heart, fat renderings from above turkey, a bit of flour, salt, pepper and probably more sage. Make sure it is rich BROWN not that pasty yellow stuff one associates with jarred gravy... To be cooked as the turkey rests.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(I am getting a small heritage turkey this year, from a local who has to put down a hen turkey due to her leg injury.)

Thanks in advance!

Comments (16)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012