SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bearstate

Adaptations on Mom's Turkey Dressing

bearstate
16 years ago

Bearstate may not have known what Feng Shui is, but hey, the ol' bear learns. As a kid, mom often enlisted the aid of all the kids to make T-day Dinner as there was just so much work to be done. And so, the ol' Bear got to learn how to make dressing. But the Bear is adaptive and well, dares to throw a few new ingredients in every now and then.

So what do most folks put into turkey dressing?

Bread Crumbs

Milk

Turkey Neck Meat

Turkey Gizzard, Heart and Liver Meat

Broth

Eggs

Thyme

Sage

Basil

Pepper

Salt

Onion

Bell Peppers or some other Kind of Peppers

Celery

Yep, I think that's the basics.

The easiest part is kneading all that stuff together in a big container prior to stuffing it into the bird.

The hardest part is getting the Turkey neck meat off the neck bones. To do that you start really early and boil the turkey necks, for at least a couple hours until the meat falls off the bones. You cool the necks down so you can handle them when you think you've boiled them enough and then by hand, pick away the meat. You cook up the heart, gizzard and liver and then cut it up and add it with the neck meat. Don't throw away that broth that was created when you boiled that neck! You'll want to add that in.

So ok, you dice up the onions, the peppers and the celery. You tear up the bread in shards and small pieces. You mix all that stuff up with the neck, gizzard, heart and liver meat by hand while adding the spices, milk, eggs and broth. When you're done, you've got something fairly basic for Turkey Stuffing.

BUT IT AINT GOOD ENOUGH!

What are the alternative ingredients?

The ol' Bear has been known to add any of the following ...

Sour Cream

Chopped Walnut

Chopped Pecan Halves

Pine Nuts

Olives

Raisons or Apple pieces

Mushrooms

Anneheim Peppers instead of Bells

Sorrano Peppers and/or Habneros for Zip

Sun Dried Tomatos

Garlic

Shallots

Additional Spices:

Oregano

Cilantro

Fennel Seed

Flavor Enhancers ...

A touch of Balsamic Vinegar

Red Wine

Apple, Lemon or Orange Juice

Now, it's up to you, but these are some suggested additions to the basic stuff.

This year, the Bear will use the following ...

The basic stuff

Anneheims instead of Bells

Sorannos and Habneros in Addition

Garlic

Sun Dried Tomato

Olives

Brown Mushroom Pieces

Chopped Pecan halves

Raisons

Oregano

Cilantro

Balsamic Vinegar

I'll save the Cabernet for the table.

And yes, I'm sure there are some of you who'll add comment about the order in which these things should be added so that the sour cream isn't adversely affected by the acids, etc.

There are likely other alternatives too and I'd love to hear about them. T-day is just over a week away.

Bon Apetit and don't forget to give Thanks!

Comments (32)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!