SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

Should I be Flattered, Amused, or Mad?

amylou321
3 years ago

Happy Halloween Everyone! I hope everyone will have some good safe fun today. I am working and will be taking down my Halloween display at work and replacing it with Thanksgiving décor.

Anyway, I am confused about something. This morning, I was sitting at my desk, minding my own business, waiting for the day person to come in. She flies through the door and declares "HAPPY HALLOWEEN!" arms in the air, presenting herself in "costume." I just kind of look at her in query. What are you supposed to be? Then she says "I'M YOU!" Clearly amused with herself.

So I look her up and down, fact checking if you will. All she did was wear a pink shirt, a blonde wig and a tiny little witch hat at an angle on her head, as I have been known to do. I was and am SO confused. Not mad or offended, not upset, just confused. Why would you wanna dress up as me? Are you attempting to make fun of me? If so, that's fine, I care not. No one laughs at me more than I do. But nothing about her "costume" was mocking in any way. So if its not a joke, why? So should I be mad? I'm not, but should I be?

When I told SO about it, he mentioned that it is a bit of a joke among the drivers and some of the other employees that she wants to "be me" so bad its sad. The other night person has said the same thing often, although as far as i know, he did not know about her costume plans. She has often tried to take credit for some of my deeds" like my flower garden I have at work, the décor or the candy. My boss tells me she gets kinda upset and rather pouty if someone comes in who knows I do it and says something nice about me. She will go and buy some things like I have (she bought the same "I got a rock" Halloween shirt and some Christmas shirts that I have as well after she saw me wear them) And she was going to buy a Duncan the Punkin dutch oven after I showed her a picture of it until she saw how much it cost. When I started walking for exercise at work ,so did she. When I started a low carb diet, so did she (she didn't last a week but she started it) Also, I have always called myself "The Night Minion." When she discovered that, she started calling herself "The day minion." So should I be flattered? I am not, but should a be?

This is not the woman who normally works opposite me. I am working the other night persons shifts while he is out having minor surgery. This is the woman who who is fiendish on the candy and is often obnoxious. We are not friends. We are not enemies. We get along fine.

I have chosen to be amused(although confused) and presented myself as such to her. When I left this morning I told her that I hope she enjoys being me as much as I do. I think I took the fun out of it for her as she said she only kept the wig on for an hour or so. She also said that she hoped no one saw her walk in in costume. I told her that she could not be me if she was scared of what people said about her. She replied with, "Well you're YOU!"

How would you react to this scenario?

Comments (50)