SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darkstar_gw

do you think I am too strict with my daughter?

darkstar
22 years ago

I have 3 girls. The oldest is 12 (a very mature and responsible 12). I have let her babysit her sisters as well as neighbors children across the street. The neighbor said she is the best sitter they have ever had and how responsible she is. Their other sitters were considerably older.I let her go to church group functions (the coast, the amusement park etc) she sleeps over at her friends houses. I do admitt that I am not thrilled with this as the friend has a 14 year old brother. Ok. Now the problem. I have told her no to 2 things in the last couple of days and she is mad. I can handle it as long as I know I am doing the right thing. I just am not sure as she is my oldest and the "guinea pig". First the neighbor wanted her to babysit on New Years Eve. From 6:30 till almost 1:00 am. I thought this was too late for a kid this age and said no. Neighbors and dd aren't happy with me. Next, best friend asked her to go to the mountains New Years Eve. I am concerned about the ice and snow added to people out partying and said no. The road up always has numerous accidents on it. Part of my problem is that her friend is telling her I am overprotective and won't let her do anything.The friends mother is very casual and has called me before looking for her own 11 year old daughter. She also allows her daughter to ride her bike the 2 miles from her house to mine, crossing busy intersections etc. and go to the mall by herself. This is a really nice girl and I do like her but now my daughter is starting to get a bit resentful.I don't feel comfortable letting my 12 year old go to the mall or the movies by herself (with friends. She is very mature looking and notice she get's looks from older guys (she doesn't do anything to bring this on and dresses appropriately)I don't think she is aware of it. I am sorry this is so long but thought I should give some backround. What do you all think?? Thanks so much.

Comments (22)

Sponsored