SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
renee_martin_iq0ja

Issue with bathroom floor tile one year after remodel

We remodeled our 2nd story master bathroom about a year ago. The floor is wood-look 48" long porcelain tiles. A few weeks ago I noticed a chunk of grout missing from one of the tiles and thought maybe something had dropped on it to cause damage. Husband and I are the only ones who use this bathroom and I clean it myself. Hubby says nope and he noticed it too. Now I see that the grout around that tile is pulling away and when you walk across the floor in that area (middle of the room) it creaks. It sounds similar to when you have carpet and walk across a floor and it creaks. Now I'm seeing several tiles where there are hairline cracks starting along the grout line but the grout isn't missing.

I've researched a little and have heard these kinds of symptoms can happen if there isn't enough thinset used or the water/mix ratio is off. Does it sound like this is the issue or more of a subfloor separation problem or something else completely. The contractor did reinforce the sub-floor before replacing the old tile which was the original builder install, because he thought it wasn't substantial enough.

I've called the contractor back to take a look and just want to be a little informed about what we could be dealing with before he gives his assessment.

Any ideas, suggestions or encouragement that this isn't a total disaster would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks. -=Renee

Comments (8)