SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_831208102

Kitchen in need of update! What would you do?

Josh S
3 years ago

Had no idea this type of design help forum existed! Very excited to get your input!

Looking for ideas on best way to update/modernize my kitchen, for fresh, clean new look without having to replace cabinets and floor - so colors, décor, diy modifications/projects, etc.

We're having new countertops installed soon - white "marble effect" quarts, with small overhang on the back and end of the peninsula. Also incoming is new stainless steel undermount sink and matte black faucet. Still time to make adjustments.

First are 2 photos of my kitchen as-is to get your first impressions. Further below I'll post a photoshoped image showing my current plan/direction.

Dining area opposite the kitchen (currently messy home office...):

Current plan:

New cabinet hardware. Probably matte black to match the incoming faucet. Handles instead of knobs. I want to install new light fixtures over the sink. Possibly extend upper cabinets to the ceiling. Not sure if I need new cabinet doors - do the line details make it look dated?

Color-wise, we're thinking black & white mixed with earthy accents/features (natural woods, greens). Hopefully something that makes the floor look intended.

We like the light fixture over the dining table (its the inspiration for matte black details), but will probably replace the table with something like this: https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/skogsta-dining-table-acacia-70419264/

and I think we'll need to find a rug for under the table to hide some of that pattern floor.

Down side to not replacing cabinets/changing layout: sink cannot be centered under the window. So it will be centered on those 3 cab doors. Faucet remaining centered on the window. I think that will look better than faucet centered on the sink.

So what would you do?

Can't wait to see your recommendations to kick this up a notch! :)

Comments (7)