I do not like Venison, why insist that I do?

Judy Good

I was raised with a dad and family that hunted and got a deer or two every year. I hate venison, I have had it made by many different cooks and many different ways. Just do not like it. People always say,

"mine does not taste like venison, you would never know it was" WRONG, I do know.

Anyway, my sister in law insisted I needed to try hers. So I finally said..... Ok and I will make you a salmon steak and you have that. She responds BUT.....I do not like any fish. Exactly that is how I feel, I do not like venison. Never heard another word about it.

SaveComment66Like11
Comments (66)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Now you are making me hungry for surf and turf - grilled venison tenderloins and salmon! Yum!

Maybe try the venison tenderloins wrapped in bacon...you know everything's better with bacon, right? ;-)

Not all venison is created equal. Older animals are often gamey and not as tender. What they eat also makes a big difference. The deer near where I live feed on agricultural crops like corn and soy beans (as well as my garden!) for much of the summer and fall and taste very good, very much like beef. Go 100 miles south to the Ozarks where they feed on browse and mast all year and the taste is very different and often gamey. They are also much smaller down there compared to near home. You are what you eat!

1 Like Save    
kadefol

Major deja vu here, didn’t we have a thread exactly like this before? Or maybe I need more coffee. :)

/edited to add, I found the other thread, from 2018!! So relieved I am not going bonkers. :) I am re-posting what I wrote in the other thread because I still feel the same way.

I don't know why some people insist on trying to force their food
preferences on others. Husband only hunts with his camera, but a friend
of his is an avid hunter and has foisted venison and venison sausage on
us even though he knows we will not eat it. He feels we will change our
minds once we taste it. Uhhh, no!! So it's languishing in the freezer
until it's freezer clean-out time.

3 Likes Save    
PKponder TX Z7B

The dreaded 'if you don't like it, it wasn't prepared correctly' argument. I don't know why people can't just let it go when someone says that they don't like something.

I feel your frustration.

eta: Kadefol, I believe that Amy has co-workers that won't take 'no' for an answer in regard to venison :-)

6 Likes Save    
Elizabeth

I cook wild game more often than grocery store meat. We prefer bison, elk and venison for red meat. I think it is an acquired taste. I do not force it on my guests, I ask. Most times I just serve something from the grocery store. I don't like to bicker about such things. If they do not like it ...so be it. I also don't like anyone criticizing me for preferring bison to cow.

4 Likes Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

I do seem to remember a similar thread from days gone by but I'm not sure if Judy posted it. It may be that since hunting season is now upon us, Judy is having the same 'discussion' again with her SIL.

Save    
amylou321

True PK! And not just venison either. But, the little feral cats that lurk around my office building were grateful for it!

That is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. I dont like it, you can't make me, leave me alone. I'm not wasting calories and carbs forever "trying it a different way."

I will never understand how some people cannot accept that some people have different tastes. Grrrrr.

8 Likes Save     Thanked by Judy Good
Elizabeth

The secret to removing the gamey taste is tons of onions, should you choose to partake. No pressure here.

Save    
maifleur03

When I see postings like this I think of my husband and broccoli. He told me he hated it but it was one of the few veggies I really like. One day he stole a piece from my plate and loved it. His mother and grandmother had cooked it to death or apparently added strange things to it. Mine was simple. Slightly steamed with salt and butter. For some people it may indeed may be the way something is prepared or it can also be although I hesitate to say allergy but something their body's just can not eat. Not to discount those who have moral reasons for not eating things.

1 Like Save    
georgysmom2

Everyone's taste buds are different. If you've tried something and don't like it, I respect that. You're entitled not to like it. My pet peeve is a friend of mine who has a list of things she doesn't like but she's never tried them. Drives me crazy!

2 Likes Save    
sal 60 Hanzlik

I don't either.

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

^^^ my son was like that growing up. Now that he is in early 20s it turns out that he likes most of the things that he never would try a decade or more ago.

Save    
hallngarden

We absolutely love venison. My friend is a hunter and she supplies us with all we want. She has never liked the taste. Yeah, more venison for us. I have eaten since a child. Our kids grew up eating. Back in the day before COVID , that was their request when we had get togethers. Love it fried with lots of gravy, and we make bbq with larger cuts. Would never push my friend into trying, just thankful she provides for us. I agree with Amy, folks have different taste.

Save    
eld6161

You might not mind venison salami!

Save    
Judy Good

Very sorry if this was a repost, I may have posted it before. I have had venison from lots of different eating habitats and everything prepared way known to man kind. Again sorry for the repost.

Save    
nickel_kg

We've never had hunters in our family, so I'm not familiar with it, and no great desire to try. But I thank people who hunt responsibly and hold back the deer population. Too much of a good thing, is too much.

Save    
Uptown Gal

DH was never a hunter, but my brother was. He usually tried to share the

meat, and we would take some ground burger, and mix it with beef burger.

But...just couldn't get into it...all I could see were those sweet, big brown eyes.

Yes...I know, sometimes the herds need to be thinned, and I sure don't want

to know that they are starving...but just hard not to see those beautiful eyes.

DH would eat a steak once in awhile..but not me. He would throw it on the

grill...so I didn't even have to cook it for him.

1 Like Save    
moosemac

I am not a enthusiastic venison fan so I understand. However I once had a Venison Loin dish at a restaurant and it was fabulous! I usually will not eat venison cooked by a non-professional for three reasons:

1. I am not sure how the meat was processed. I have seen all sorts of variations on gutting , hanging and butchering deer by hunters and their friends. Some handling and processing methods would curl your hair!

2. The age of the deer has a lot to do with flavor and texture of the venison. Older deer produce tough and strong flavored venison.

3. The cooking skill sets fo the preparer. Preparation is key even with good quality venison. With marginal quality, it is the only way to make it palatable. Poorly prepared venison is gag worthy, period.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I've tried venison and other types of wild game, none were pleasing to me. It's rarely encountered in my area, very few people are hunters and restaurants don't tend to offer it much.

Save    
krystalmoon2009

I wasn't crazy about the flavor of it either til my husband took a younger deer, and since then I have told him I don't want old big buck meat. I also butcher our own meat and let it age in fridge before freezing and I think that makes a difference.

Save    
Lars

I had some venison sausage that Annie cooked for us when we visited her in Michigan last summer, and it was palatable, but not something I would seek out. She said it was from a doe that was not old. They are allowed to cull the herd in her area because the deer where she lives destroy a lot of crops and are having a population explosion. Annie also told me that killing does does more to control the population than killing bucks. I very seldom eat red meat.

There are quite a few things that I absolutely don't like that other people love, but it is not necessary for everyone to like the same things. My brother doesn't like raw tomatoes, but I still buy them for myself and sometimes grow them. He is okay with homegrown vine-ripened tomatoes and will eat a Caprese salad made with them. There aren't many vegetables that I do not like, except for things like sweet potatoes and rhubarb. I also like most fruits.

Save    
chloebud

I completely agree with Amy's different tastes comment. It's just the way it is.

Lots of people over time have tried to convince me I like tamales. It's more of a texture issue and is NOT going to happen.

2 Likes Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

chloebud - who knows...maybe tamales you will like them. hahaha

Save    
glenda_al

Son and grandson are big time hunters, dove, deer, turkey. Son belongs to a hunting club for deer and has a farm where he dove and turkey hunts. He also goes once a year to Kansas for turkey hunting.

I have always been able to cook the dove and deer, but not eat. Son smokes his turkey, delicious.

Recently, cause I've not been doing so well, health wise, he offered to grill burgers at home and bring them so we could share a meal together. I KNEW it would be venison burgers, and I ate. He grilled black and blue burgers! Great!

Save    
bpath

One Thanksgiving, I was making green beans for the family. My cousin's wife didn't like green beans at all, she said, and apologized in advance for not taking any. Well, she did try them, and said she liked them, they were the first beans she had that didn't taste like dirt. LOL! A little backhanded compliment, I guess, but I'll take it!

Save    
jkayd_il5

Maefleur03, your comments about your husband and broccoli reminds of my husband. Everytime I said I wanted to make a pumpkin pie he would say no I don't like pumpkin pie make such and such. Finally after years of hearing this I said I Iike pumpkin pie and I'm going to make one. He liked it, his Mom anyways overbaked pumpkin pie and it was hard and burnt. So now when I make a pumpkin pie he eats as much as me.

1 Like Save    
chloebud

"chloebud - who knows...maybe tamales you will like them. hahaha"

LOL, LJ, I've tried LOTS of tamales, for sure! I would hear things like, "You've just never had good tamales." My mom's (or wife's, aunt's, grandma's, etc.) are the best. I'm going to bring you some." Can't count how many of those so-called "good" tamales I've sampled!

Save    
woodrose

This reminds me of a conversation I had with my brother years ago. He heard me say that I don't like eggplant. He said " You just haven't had it like my wife makes it". I looked him straight in the eyes, and said firmly, " There is nothing your wife can do to eggplant that will make me like it" . He never said another word to me about eggplant as long as he lived.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I love a good tamale. It's an odd comparison though.

Some people are rigid and inflexible with respect to what they eat. Some know to try new things and variations before making up their mind, others don't want to.

Save    
patriciae_gw

I love people who dont like venison. It means more for me. I havent had it in a long time now. I must say that given the option I would have elk. We have a herd locally and they have taken to crossing our property at the driveway. They need to watch out.

I do understand the I dont like no matter what. I do not like cilantro and unfortunately it is a popular addition to everything at the moment. People will put it in anything. I have intestinal issues with it but I also dont like the taste. I am sure this fad will pass. I used to not like pickles. I loved how they smelled but the taste was ucky but finally my taste buds have worn down enough that I can eat sweet pickles. Still despise dill though.

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I am not crazy about venison. My family does have a lot of hunters. I have found that the sausage they have made with a blend of venison, pork and beef is pretty good and I do eat it. My sister used to make great venison spaghetti. Other than that I can do without it. Luckily so many do love it that they definitely don't force me to take some home with me.

Save    
Elizabeth

I think I like bison best of the wild meats. Rich and somewhat sweet. Extremely lean. I do add a touch of EVOO when cooking it so it isn't too dry. DH and I have great cholesterol numbers as we have always avoided animal fats. I think DNA has something to do with it also.

Cilantro. Love it!

Save    
Lukki Irish

I don’t care if it’s venison, bison, salmon or chocolate cake, if I say I don’t care for it, I really do mean that I don’t care for it. I think it’s very disrespectful to try and force someone to try something they have no interest in trying. I get anxious just thinking about it. (it’s a real pet peeve) I remember that thread!!! I remember feeling the same way then as I do now! LOL

3 Likes Save    
glenda_al

Grandson keeps venison jerky all the time. He missed hunting when in Hawaii, and now has a hunting spot in Virginia Beach, that he got permission to hunt on. First day, he killed his first with bow.

1 Like Save    
Elizabeth

Like the country song says, "What part of No don't you understand?".

1 Like Save    
C Marlin

I don't like venison or salmon... I really don't care for bread, rarely eat sandwhiches for that reason. I told my SIL I really didn't care for bread, she immediately told me I've never tried good bread.... how does she know?

My DH, her brother loves bread, he's bought lots of "good" bread that he loves, I just don't eat it. Life is good, I don't need to eat bread.

1 Like Save    
Lars

patriciae_gw, Cilantro is not a fad, as it has been an important ingredient in Mexican and SE Asian cuisines for a very long time. You may not like it and not want to eat it (which is fine), but it's not going away! A lot of people hate kimchee, but that's not going away either. One of the herbs I do not like is tarragon, and so I understand why you do not like cilantro.

I'm a bit of the opposite of you regarding pickles - I love dill pickles and despite sweet pickles. When I go to a restaurant that is going to serve tartar sauce, I always ask whether they make it with sweet pickles or not because if it is made with sweet pickles I will gag.

I love people who do not like fish because that means more for me. Fish are in a very limited supply, however, unlike venison, which seems almost limitless.

I do understand, however, that there are cases in which people really do not like something because they have never had it prepared properly, but I hope the number of these cases is very small. Unfortunately, they do exist.

1 Like Save    
glenda_al

Son is into spear fishing. This will be his last weekend. They go to Panama City with a group. I have two beautiful amber jack filet's in my freezer he gave me couple weeks ago.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I agree, there's no fad involved with cilantro, for the reasons lars mentions. It's a staple ingredient for many types of food.

There can be a very valid reason for why some dislike its flavor. Something like 10% of the population have a gene that affects the senses of taste/smell in a way that causes cilantro to taste like soap. I don't have that problem but for those who do, wanting to avoid cilantro is easy to understand.

Save    
Elizabeth

My DH has the anti-cilantro thing. He also hates mint. I wonder if it tastes like soap to him? Maybe he knows the taste of soap from how much trouble he got into as a little boy! 😉

3 Likes Save    
maifleur03

It does not taste like soap to me but has a weird metallic tang. It has no place in biscuits and gravy like one place was doing.

Save    
chloebud

"One of the herbs I do not like is tarragon, and so I understand why you do not like cilantro."

Same with me when it comes to tarragon, although a hint of it can be okay. As much as I love cilantro, I totally get the "soapy" taste people mention. Hard to imagine certain things without it, starting with salsa.

2 Likes Save    
donna_loomis

Many years ago, I worked with a woman whose husband was a hunter. The subject came up in conversation one day. She said that he would bring home elk all packaged for the freezer after hunting trips. Occasionally he would request it for dinner. She couldn't stand it and came up with a partial solution. Every time he requested elk, she would take two packages out of the freezer, cook one and throw the other into the trash. I had never eaten elk, so I asked if she might sometime bring a package that was destined for the trash to work instead, so I might try it. She was happy to do so. I cooked it and the next day, I told her that I totally got why she didn't like it.

1 Like Save    
colleenoz

I get jkayd’s story about the pumpkin pie. For a long time, every time I suggested fish pie for dinner (DH loves fish, me not so much), DH would say “no”. Finally I just made one from an idea I had been mulling over in my head. DH loved it and now actually requests fish pie. Turns out his mother used to make a version he didn’t like.

And I don’t care for raw tomatoes, _except_ in bruschetta, and only if there is bread in each mouthful. I have a good friend who is the same. And I only like eggplant in baba ganoush.

But I get that it’s irritating when people press you to try something you’ve said you dislike, because seemingly they make the only palatable version. My mother was like that.

1 Like Save    
functionthenlook

The men in my family hunt. We always have venison in the freezer. Personally I only like the ground meat. I cut it with ground beef to add some fat. I use it in any recipe that calls for ground meat. I have a recipe I like for the roasts. It is like a sauerbraten. That isn't bad, but I prefer a beef roast. I also like the venison jerky i make. Otherwise I don't like the steaks. I just don't like the taste. My kids and grands love the back strap that my husband cooks for breakfast. Needless to say when he has it butchered he only orders one or two roasts, the back straps and the remaining ground up.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

The real story, that I've heard before and that seems to be among comments here, is that "it's good if you combine it with X" or "it needs to be prepared a certain way". Few foods having a flavor that's widely appealing are described that way. Also, comments from some number of people who feel they've been forced or put upon to eat it or take some with them are common. I've heard such stories before.

Deer can be found in many countries and allowing hunting is far from the only way of keeping their populations in check.

Save    
olychick

The only venison I've ever eaten and enjoyed was because I was young and full of beer. A friend bought a tavern in a small rural town and my girlfriend and I, both young and unmarried went from the big city to visit. Lots of partying and when the bar closed the owner continued the party at his house where he prepared something with venison and lots of onions and red wine. I can't recall if it was served over rice or noodles or plain. It cooked for a long time and we were all ravenous before it was ready to eat. Between the beer and the long wait, I could almost forget that I was eating Bambi.

Save    
Elizabeth

The first venison I had as a child was a roast. It was seasoned with salt and pepper and put in a pan to roast. Worst meat I eve ate. Dry, tough and gamey. It was decades before I tried it again. When I learned to cook it myself I found that it has to be cooked with liquid or used as a ground meat. Bring out the slow cooker.

Coincidentally, I am making a venison meat pie for dinner tonight. It is 30° now and promises to be a cold, grey wet day so the aroma of that in the house just warms us up to begin with.

Save    
aok27502

I've never had venison, but I feel the same way about sweet potatoes. I don't like them. Period. No, I will not like them whatever goopy way you cook them. They will still be gross. Please, just accept that and stop trying!

2 Likes Save    
Elizabeth

I agree on the sweet potatoes. Hard pass.

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

I've tried various game meats and I didn't care for them....a bit too strong. Game birds are a different story :-) And I don't consider bison a wild or game meat as it is farmed just like beef is. It's OK but not my favorite. A little dry and chewy compared to beef.

There are very few foods I do not like but those that I don't, I would be pretty irritated if someone forced it on me or constantly encouraged me to try it. I've tried okra fixed by various people in various ways and I still don't think its worth eating!! Don't ask me again!!

I am surprised that many folks do not like common foods that most others think delicious and even diet staples!! I couldn't live without good bread (maybe I could but I wouldn't want to :-)). Or fresh, sliced ripe tomatoes! And eggplant and sweet potatoes. It's OK if they don't - their choice - but I think they are just missing out.

Save    
Ninapearl

i won't go within a hundred miles of a meatloaf. meatloaf is the world's downfall. if people stopped making meatloaf, wars would end. without meatloaf, there would be world peace, climate change would cease to exist, the oceans would become crystal clear and devoid of pollution, flowers would bloom year 'round no matter where you live, it would never go above or below 70 degrees and the sun would shine 365 days a year and dogs would live forever.

think about it the next time somebody asks for meatloaf. JUST SAY NO!!!!!

3 Likes Save    
Elizabeth

Ninapearl, I never knew. I never knew. 😢 So sad.

1 Like Save    
Debby

I do not like lamb and refuse to eat it. BUT: my nephew and his now ex-wife invited us over for dinner. She's a red seal chef and as soon as we walked into the house it smelled devine! She said, "I hope you like rack of lamb!" I smiled and said, "I love it!" Inside my head I was dreading eating the lamb and didn't want to be rude by refusing to eat her food that she so happily cooked just for us.

The saying that "you haven't tried mine yet!" is true. Her's was absolutely delicious and I had seconds. I've been raised that you ALWAYS take *some* of the food offered to you if someone went out of their way to make it for you. Even if you know it's something you don't like. Unless you're allergic to it, appreciate the effort someone went into cooking for you.

3 Likes Save    
OutsidePlaying

I do find that for some people, tastes do change over time. For example, I refused to eat turnip greens, sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts and a few other things when I was young. There were many good cooks in my family, so it wasn’t that I wasn’t exposed to them or that the weren’t prepared well. Fast forward several years later and now I do like them. DH will not eat sweet potatoes or several other things. I make him a baked potato and me a sweet potato. We figure it out.

Venison is something I never really liked either, although I have cooked it and eaten it many times in my first marriage. No thanks. I will pass. I have eaten elk and bison at restaurants that was very well-prepared and tasty but I am not going out of my way to prepare it at home.

Save    
marilyn_c

I don't like venison either. Altho like Raven said, I have had it in sausage mixed with beef or pork, and it isn't bad. If anyone gives me some, I just say thank you, and then I feed it to my dogs.

1 Like Save    
Elizabeth

I think the saying, "But you haven't tried mine yet" originated because so many prepare venison very badly. Dumping canned mushroom soup on it is NOT a recipe. It is a disaster. I don't offer any wild game meat to guests except my children who like only a few things. ( Venison bacon and bison burgers. ) I know people have strong feelings about it.

What can I say? Some cooks are just rude.

Save    
adellabedella_usa

I ate venison when I was young. My dad prepared the meat by letting the blood drain out after the deer was killed and soaking it in salt water. My dad said that took the gaminess out of it. He pounded it and coated in salt, pepper and flour and fried it. I loved it. I've tried what other people have prepared and it was too strong flavored so there is something to how it is prepared.

Save    
OutsidePlaying

I forgot to add my ‘ditto’ to ninapearl’s post. I just don’t eat meatloaf either. I ate it as a kid. Not now, not ever.

2 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw

I actually do know that cilantro is a part of the cuisine of other countries and is appropriate in those foods but it was not added to every thing on earth. At the moment it is a fad herb just like oregano or thyme used to be. People put it in anything. Those same people have stopped using parsley. It is one of those things. My problem with it goes beyond not liking the taste, it actually disagrees with me. Too bad. I would prefer to like it and tolerate it but I do not. Telling me how dim I am for not knowing it is a part of many cuisines is just like telling someone they will like Venison. Flavor profiles in food come and go. Sometimes it is good. Getting Americans to expand their food flavors has always been a good thing. I totally understand why some people dont like Venison. It is a strong definite flavor. Making it taste like the blandest of beef is fine if venison is what you have and dont like. I like it. I dont expect someone else to like it because I do. I liked squirrel as a child. I wonder if I would like it now.

1 Like Save    
glenda_al

At times we would soak venison in buttermilk

Save    
amicus

I don't care for venison. I've tried it numerous times, never prepared by the same person, thus thinking someone would magically get the 'gamey' taste out of it. That never happened. It reminded me of college when friends would try to convince me that I wouldn't be able to taste the vodka in a screwdriver. I'd tell them to blindfold me and give me small cup of orange juice and a small cup of orange juice and vodka, and I would always be able to tell them apart, because I hate the taste of vodka.

I can always detect aspartame (NutraSweet and Equal) in anything, because it gives me an immediate bitter aftertaste, no matter how much I loved what I ate or drank just 2 seconds earlier. So I guess some people just have an aversion to the taste/flavour of something, despite how it is prepared, especially if they were unaware they were eating the food or ingredient that they don't like.

1 Like Save    
artemis_ma

I understand OP's question, but mine is for a different food. I do like properly cooked venison, and understand why many don't. That's fine, more for me...

BUT -

"Artemis, what you mean you don't like turkey or chicken breast? You just haven't had it cooked right!!!!!" Pardon me, but after 66 years on this planet, I KNOW I don't like either. I'll TOLERATE some chicken breast in some circumstances, but I won't tolerate the turkey breast at all. Sorry. Not sorry.

On another paw, I hated Brussels sprouts as a kid - mean nasty boiled things that usually came from a can.

But I'd never had had them fresh and roasted. I even outright purposefully BUY them now.

I can always detect aspartame (NutraSweet and Equal) in anything, because it gives me an immediate bitter aftertaste, no matter how much I loved what I ate or drank just 2 seconds earlier. So I guess some people just have an aversion to the taste/flavour of something, despite how it is prepared, especially if they were unaware they were eating the food or ingredient that they don't like.

Same here. Always. And it is true of all the fake sweeteners, for me.

Save    
Elizabeth

I have never seen brussel sprouts in a can. Sounds awful. We like them fresh and roasted too.

1 Like Save    
aok27502

Canned Brussels sprouts?? *shudder*

I purposefully buy them fresh and roast them.

1 Like Save    
artemis_ma

Kadefol: I don't know why some people insist on trying to force their food
preferences on others. Husband only hunts with his camera, but a friend
of his is an avid hunter and has foisted venison and venison sausage on
us even though he knows we will not eat it. He feels we will change our
minds once we taste it. Uhhh, no!! So it's languishing in the freezer
until it's freezer clean-out time.

Suggestion - instead of tossing it at freezer cleanout, before that time ask among your non-mutual friends if one or another would appreciate the gift you don't wish to eat. Pass it on to someone who likes it Not wasted, then.

2 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw

Give me a call.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Fun Houzz Everything I Need to Know About Decorating I Learned from Downton Abbey
Mind your manors with these 10 decorating tips from the PBS series, returning on January 5
Full Story
Bathroom Makeovers What I Learned From My Master Bathroom Renovation
Houzz writer Becky Harris lived through her own remodel recently. She shares what it was like and gives her top tips
Full Story
With over 25 years of experience, Landscape Associates, Inc. is a landscape design/build company specializing in... Read More
Founders Eric Smith and Dan Swain, find joy in creating functional and unique spaces filled with well-crafted... Read More