Bonito flakes.....what else can I do with them?

Islay Corbel

I bought some to make dashi but the packet says they need to eaten within a month of opening them. What else can i use them for?

SaveComment10Like
Comments (10)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plllog

My Japanese-American friends use them for salt and funk in just about anything, the way I would think about using mushroom powder (which is very salty).

Save     Thanked by Islay Corbel
Fun2BHere

I break or grind them up and use them in place of salt on fried rice and various egg dishes like scrambled eggs or omelets. You can mix them in with toasted sesame seeds and nori bits to make a different nice seasoning.

colleenoz

Sprinkle them on top of okonomiyaki. Yum!

1 Like Save     Thanked by Islay Corbel
Lars

I also use them on Okonomiyaki. They last longer than a month, however, since they are dried. I think they would keep for up to a year.

Islay Corbel

Thank you all. Lars, I really enjoyed your video clip. I read that the flakes "dance" on hot food and it was funny to see that.

Do you freeze your bonito?

Save    
colleenoz

I just throw mine in the pantry cupboard and I’m still here to tell the tale. 😁

They do dance and wave. I’ve told this story before, but when we were in Macau I really wanted dumplings for lunch. The only dumpling restaurant we could find had no English speaking staff and the menus had no pictures. I tried (pretty successfully) to remember the Chinese names of our favourites.

When the waitress approached with a plate of something that looked like they were topped with wriggling maggots from a distance, I was horrified and wondered what the heck I had order and how we could refuse them.

When she put the plate down, we could see it was siu mai with flakes of baccalao tucked into the open top, waving in the steam emitted by the hot filling! 😆

They put baccalao on a lot of things in Macau due to their time as a Portuguese colony.

artemis_ma

They're dried. My package didn't have a use by date....I had them for three years, they mostly went into dashi.

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

I do wish the bags were smaller. Or just 4-5 bags inside the larger package. Though I do agree being dried it lasts a long time if kept properly once opened.

I do go through it in the winter months mostly, with so many miso based soups and noodle bowls.

My last bag, once opened, I stuffed into two small glass jars. One is in the freezer and one on a fridge door shelf with a small moisture absorber.

My all things go-to Japanese is Nami's blog/website justonecookbook, HERE Ten years of recipes. Where to purchase ingredients and best brands, etc

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Oh, I forgot about Dashi. (broth) Nami's link,HERE

She is good. And even answers questions in the comment section. (so rare) Someone asked about her glass containers so she provided a link.

Dashi uses quite a bit. I freeze in 1/2 pints. I'll need another bag soon. After the fatty holidays we like a lighter diet.

Jasdip

I bought a little bag specifically as treats for my cats. I put it on top of food they're shunning to entice them.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
The Polite House The Polite House: What Can I Do About My Neighbors’ Trash Cans?
If you’re tired of staring at unsightly garbage way before pickup day, it’s time to have some tough conversations
Full Story
Life The Polite House: How Can I Tell a Construction Crew to Pipe Down?
If workers around your home are doing things that bother you, there’s a diplomatic way to approach them
Full Story
Life The Polite House: How Can I Kindly Get Party Guests to Use Coasters?
Here’s how to handle the age-old entertaining conundrum to protect your furniture — and friendships
Full Story
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More