Your favorite way of cooking chicken livers

seagrass_gw

We love them. I only know how to bread and fry them. Would love more creative ideas.

SaveComment19Like
Comments (19)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plllog

The only way I know (I don't love them, and do them for tradition for company) is cooked in onion infused schmaltz, chop to pasty (must be with a knife--no blenders!), and mix in a chopped hard boiled egg. Jewish chopped liver. There are lots of other ways to make it, but blenders kill it.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by seagrass_gw
artemis_ma

I save them up and make pate. Last time I did this I added a lot of mustard. It was good because it tasted of the seasonings. I my try horseradish next time.

1 Like Save     Thanked by seagrass_gw
Marilyn_Sue

I usually just roll in flour and fry with my chicken if I should have any livers. I never buy them by themselves.

Sue

colleenoz

I roll mine in a little flour and fry in butter on a fairly high heat so they are crisp on the outside and creamy and slightly pink on the inside. Serve with mashed potatoes or on a bread roll. DH doesn’t like organ meats so this is one of my little solo dinner pleasures when he’s away.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by seagrass_gw
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

I like to saute with onions and fresh parsley. I dredge them in seasoned flour first and add a bit of soy sauce while they're cooking.

I like a good pate too. Mine has onions cooked with the livers and a bit of sherry.

Mostly tho, I only ever have 1 or 2 from a whole chicken, so I just season and bake them with the chicken for about 20 minutes and have it for a snack while I'm waiting for the chicken to be done.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

I purposely buy chicken livers, which I love, to make several recipes. Pate is excellent but a rich and fatty method of enjoyment. I prefer using the livers in an omelette or frittata or for a splurge, I make chicken liver stroganoff. I have also been known to just fry them up in butter and seasonings and eat on toasted bread!! Yummy!

party_music50

I haven't had chicken livers in ages, but I prefer them just sauteed in butter.

bragu_DSM 5

soak them over night in butter milk ... dip in wondra/fryin' magic/ flour mix and fry them

hallngarden

Also soak in buttermilk, but use regular flour . I use a knife to make slits before cooking. Get very little “popping from oil” . One of my favorite foods, made them this week.

lindac92

I make "jewish chopped liver"....but no egg. I caramelize onion in butter ( there goes the kosher thing!) until very soft and quite brown....remove the onions, add a little more butter and sautee the chicken livers with a cojuple of cloves of sliced garlic. When the livers are just past pink inside, I toss it all into the food processor, adding salt and pepper as needed and finish with some dry sherry....or cognac.

I also make a chicken liver and mushroom dish to serve on toast points.
Pretty much chicken livers, dredged in flour, sauteed in butter....removed and kept warm, green onions and mushrooms chopped added to the pan and cooked until soft....add the chicken livers back, warm through and finish with lemon juice and fresh parsley.

Islay Corbel

My friend sue makes a good pâte.

Sue’s chicken liver pâté

Ingredients

1. Chicken livers
  2. half the weight butter
  3. onion
  4. salt and pepper
  5. cognac

Method

1. Boil the livers in water with the onion and peppercorns
  2. Drain
  3. Whazz up with butter, onion, nutmeg and cognac.
  4. Chill

But, thé chefsteps sous vide one is really, really good. Much more flavourful and less rich than most.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/chicken-liver-pate

seagrass_gw

Thank you all. It used to be easy to find containers of chicken livers in the meat case but they're scarce now for some reason but I do have a craving and will buy some the next time I see them and come back to this post for inspiration.

Save    
plllog

Linda, I'm sure your liver is good, but it's definitely not Jewish!

Save    
wednesday morning

I will only buy organic chicken livers anymore.

I like to dredge them in a mix of flour and sesame seeds and either grace with some oil and put into the oven or fry in a bit of butter. Add in some onions somewhere

Wanna' hear what I like that sounds gross? I will add in some full fat yogurt and make a sauce around them. Yougurt and liver? Gross worthy, on the mention, of course. You could use a sour cream if the thought of yougurt seems repulsive. The yogurt breaks out into a thinner sauce as it cooks just a bit. A friend introduced me to this many years ago and it has been a favorite of ours for a long time. We like it with brown rice. I know. It sounds highly suspect on the surface of being cringe worthy.

Liver----you either love it or hate it, like cilantro. I love both of those things.

Haven't bought other types of liver in many decades. But, chichken livers do get high marks at my table.

I used to work at a medical facility a long time ago and the ladies back in the kitchen did some real old school cooking for the residents------- real, real old school!!! They made the best chicken fried liver! Not chicken liver----chicken fried liver. Darned that was good!

LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Not a big fan of chicken livers myself but I will eat a few of them fried when we go to a local soul food joint for lunch.

I usually buy a dozen or so organic whole chickens a couple times a year and they give me the livers and gizzards in a separate bag. I use them for catfish bait and then eat the catfish. lol

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

wednesday morning, your chicken livers with yogurt sauce does not sound terrifically different from the chicken liver stroganoff I love. Like beef stroganoff, mine also includes onions and mushrooms, seasonings, a good dose of wine or sherry and sour cream instead of yogurt (although I have used that in a pinch). Not cringe worthy at all!! Delicious over rice or noodles.

Save     Thanked by seagrass_gw
jakkom

Scissor cut into roughly even-sized pieces. Saute gently over medium heat in a butter/EVOO mix. Season halfway through cooking with lots of medium-grind black pepper and a modest drizzle of Chinese oyster sauce. Some mashed up roasted garlic wouldn't go amiss, either.

No need for batter or flour. Spouse also likes them Italian style in a red sauce.

John Liu

Not a chicken liver devotee, but big fan of chicken hearts and gizzards!

Islay Corbel

Love a gizzard salad!

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design 5 Home Cooks Share Their Favorite Family Recipes
Peek inside the kitchens of these Houzz users and learn how to cook their time-tested, passed-down dishes
Full Story
Kitchen Design A Cook’s 6 Tips for Buying Kitchen Appliances
An avid home chef answers tricky questions about choosing the right oven, stovetop, vent hood and more
Full Story
Kitchen Design 5 Favorite Granites for Gorgeous Kitchen Countertops
See granite types from white to black in action, and learn which cabinet finishes and fixture materials pair best with each
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More