Chopped chicken liver--can I freeze it?
8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (15)
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Discussions
Can I freeze Cilantro??
Comments (23)Cilantro is definitely one of the more troublesome herbs for me. All the sources I've seen have mentioned that drying is unsatisfactory but freezing is an acceptable second-best alternative to fresh. The thing is, the texture and color will be different, so the frozen cilantro would be used differently in cooking, not so much for salsa but for marinades, etc. You can freeze the leaves; vacuum-sealing to keep out the air helps tremendously. Or you can freeze chopped as a "slurry" with water or oil. Cilantro butter is also a possibility; Burpee recommends 4 parts butter, 2 parts cilantro, 1/2 part lemon juice. Good melted on frozen corn for a taste of summer. I know of one person who has made and frozen a "cilantro pesto" he swears by, especially for marinating chicken, fish, etc. - no real "recipe" but a blender-full of washed and dried leaves and stems blended with juice of several limes and about 1/4 cup of olive oil. Finally, it's not freezing but canning. This is a recipe from KatieC, one of our master food preservers who pops in from time-to-time. She was one of the instructors with Annie for this summer's Canny Camp. Jessy had a favorite Sunset recipe and asked KatieC if she could come up with a way to safely can it. I haven't seen it on Harvest for a long time, and it's worth repeating: Lime-Chipotle Sauce Recipe By :Katie Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -------- ------------ -------------------------------- 1/2 cup honey 2 tablespoons minced canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce 3 tablespoons brown mustard -- or dijon 1/2 cup lime juice 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic 1 teaspoon ground cumin 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro Season with salt and pepper Blend in food processor. Serve sauce as a marinade grilled meats, poultry, and fish if your guests don't get to it first with tortilla chips. Makes 1 1/2 cups. Source: "Jessy- from Sunset Magazine" - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - NOTES : This can be canned in a boiling waterbath for 15 min. at 0-1000 ft., 20 min. at 1001-6000 ft. and 25 min. above 6000 ft. Carol...See MoreWhy am I getting foamy pithy chicken?
Comments (15)The foam/scum on chicken soup is just bits of protein from the chicken that coagulate out. It isn't harmful; it isn't new; it doesn't even detract from the taste, but people skim it off if they want clear broth. My very old Settlement Cookbook describes the need to skim the foam off if you want clear broth and I get some anytime I make chicken soup which I've been doing for more than 30 years. On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen says that you can reduce the amount you have to skim by blanching chicken first in cold water because some goes into the water. They also say there will be less if the chicken parts are cooked whole as colleenoz mentions - anything that disrupts the chicken less so that less breaks off during cooking. It also helps to keep the soup from boiling hard - a hard boil breaks off more protein bits than a gentle simmer and it makes it more difficult to skim what does come off to get a clear broth. Usually I just leave it, because I figure some extra protein in the soup isn't a bad thing and I'm often going to put enough stuff in the soup that perfect clarity isn't my goal. And cooking whole chicken pieces with the skin I don't get that much scum - the fat can easily be lifted off the soup if it will be chilled so I don't see a need to use skinless....See MoreChickens. Lots of chickens.
Comments (25)Thanks, Teresa, I don't think I've ever seen a chicken pie recipe without vegetables, that looks really interesting and efficient, because Bud and Makayla wouldn't have to pick out the pieces of veggies, LOL. Ruthanna, the chicken pudding looks good, I'm going to try a couple of these as meals when Elery's family comes. I'll have 11 visitors for 5 days over the 4th of July weekend, so I'm going to have to find things that I can bake ahead or multiply to get enough servings. The following week is Fair Week too, so Bud and Makayla are spending the night tomorrow night, the fair entries will just have to be baked and frozen, then thawed for the fair. (shrug) Just as well, they're getting too complacent about all those ribbons every year, make 'em work at it this time! Ryse, where are you that you need to move to Tennessee for a better climate? I live in North/West Michigan and I really like to process chickens in the fall, far fewer flies and I don't rush so much to get the birds on ice like I do when it's warmer here. sleevendog, the traffic cones actually worked pretty well, but they weren't quite deep enough. Hey, I'm creative! I didn't have enough room to partially freeze all those halves before packaging, that was part of the problem, I think. On another food related note, the second calf of the year was born today, hooray. I left Mama to tend it and didn't bother them by getting close enough to determine whether it was a heifer or bull, I'll know soon enough. Oh, and Elery and I had chicken on the grill last night. No salting or pre-brining, because I wanted to see just how it was. Elery cooked it slowlyl on the cooler side of the grill and it was moist, juicy and delicious. I'm happy. Annie...See MoreCan I freeze Quiche?
Comments (14)Don't know....never tried it. But I would think the crust would be exceedingly soggy, par baked or not. A quiche is so quick and easy once you have made the crust, I can't see any reason to freeze one other than if you have some leftover. If I need to have "plan ahead quiche" I either make and freeze the unbaked crust in round discs, grate the cheese, fry the bacon, chop the onion par cook the veggies and put it all together, mix up the egg and milk/cream pour it in and pop it into the oven. When we had 2 kids in college I would take quiche for a tail gate for an 11 AM game at a site 1 3/4 hours away. The crusts were pre baked, the cheese grated, the onions chopped the milk and cream mixed up and seasoned....and in my sleepy 6 AM state I could make them up, pop them into the oven and by the time I had taken a shower and put on my Hawk colors, they were ready to pack into styrofoam coolers....and those that didn't get eaten pre-game were still steaming hot post game. If you need to freeze a meal, there are better things to freeze than quiche. Linda C...See More- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- last year
Related Stories

GREEN BUILDINGThe Big Freeze: Inventors Break New Ground to Keep Things Cool
Old-fashioned fridges can be energy guzzlers, but there are more eco-friendly ways of keeping food fresh, as these global innovations show
Full Story
LIFEHow Your Landscaping Can Keep Burglars Away
Prevent home break-ins with strategic landscaping and good practices instead of menacing — and maybe less effective — measures
Full Story
BOOKSCan Tidying Up Result in Life-Changing Magic?
Organizing phenom Marie Kondo promises big results — if you embrace enormous changes and tough choices
Full Story
LIFE6 Easy Design Resolutions That Can Bring You Joy
Try one of these pain-free changes to mark the start of the new year
Full Story
KITCHEN OF THE WEEKKitchen of the Week: A Rustic-Chic Look They Can Call Their Own
Reclaimed barn wood, whitewashed brick and hand-scraped oak floors add character to a Toronto couple’s kitchen
Full Story
GARDENING AND LANDSCAPINGBackyard Living: The Scoop on Chicken Coops
Perk up your morning with fresh eggs and chickadee clucks when you build a chicken coop in your own yard
Full Story
FARM YOUR YARDHouzz Call: Show Us Your One-of-a-Kind Chicken Coops
Do you have a fun or stylish backyard shelter for your feathered friends? Post your pictures and stories in the Comments!
Full Story
FARM YOUR YARDShe Built a Chicken Coop and Was Surprised by What Happened Next
A Southern California homeowner and animal lover shares her building tips and advice on raising happy backyard hens
Full Story
KITCHEN COUNTERTOPSWhy I Chose Quartz Countertops in My Kitchen Remodel
Budget, style and family needs all were taken into account in this important design decision
Full Story
MOST POPULAR4 Obstacles to Decluttering — and How to Beat Them
Letting go can be hard, but it puts you more in control of your home's stuff and style. See if any of these notions are holding you back
Full Story
salonva