Well, I won’t do that again (brown butter story)

bbstx

Tonight I wanted brown butter for the green beans. I didn’t have time to watch the butter on the stovetop, so I Googled “microwave brown butter.” According to Epicurious, microwaving the butter until it is brown is the best way. The article warns that a good lid is needed because there will be some splattering. That was an understatement. I used a Corningware dish topped with a Corningware Grabbit. The butter popped so explosively, it knocked the Grabbit to one side. I eventually got brown butter...and also the opportunity to thoroughly clean my microwave.

SaveComment8Like1
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
foodonastump

My success rate melting butter in the microwave is low enough, can’t imagine taking on browning it!

1 Like Save     Thanked by bbstx
plllog

Melting butter is easier. Put it in a Pyrex custard cup (up to 5 tbsp) and do 20 seconds on high. Let it sit. Do another 20 sec. Let it sit. If it hasn't melted completely in its own heat, zap it again for 10 sec. until its melted.

I'm too old school to want to MW brown butter, but desperation calls, right? I learned to make it in a little enamelled butter pot on the disk above the pilot, then, post pilots, on low. It's much easier in a 1 qt pot on induction (the butter pot is too small for induction--or maybe it would work on "full surface"). I just can't wrap my head around the MW, though it sounds like it worked well enough for the beans. Thanks for the laugh at your tag line. I have been warned!

Save     Thanked by bbstx
Jasdip

I use the microwave to pop regular popcorn in a brown paper bag. I always have a little dish of butter in there as well, and make sure I put the plastic dome over the dish. It covers the paper bag somewhat as well, not my intention, but it's the large dome.

I only put it in for a few seconds on power level 8 which is what I use for the popcorn. I have to watch it like a hawk otherwise it makes a mess.

Louiseab Ibbotson

I did browned butter in the microwave for a jambalaya I made. Turned out fantastic!

bbstx

@Louiseab Ibbotson, did it not splatter? Tell me more about how you did it, specifically, the containers you used, please.

Save    
Louiseab Ibbotson

I just used an oversized measuring cup so the splattering was contained. Here isthe recipe I used.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/278034/brown-butter-in-the-microwave/

2 Likes Save     Thanked by bbstx
morz8

I'm glad you have a sparkly clean microwave today. I used mine earlier and noticed its scented with the Costco french onion soup that I bought on a whim and served for something hot when we got home ;0( I'll heat a couple of lemon peels from the freezer and take care of that....

Cannot imagine making browned butter in mine. I needed just melted butter to drizzle over my berry crisps before baking last night, considered microwave, then used a saucepan that I had to clean up.

nancyofnc

Anything made in the micro here is topped with an upside down plain paper plate = no splattering. BTW I make brown butter in a small (3.5" maybe) cast iron pan. To clean it is to wipe with a paper towel.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life You Said It: ‘Just Because I’m Tiny Doesn’t Mean I Don’t Go Big’
Changing things up with space, color and paint dominated the design conversations this week
Full Story
Home Tech 3 Kitchen Contraptions You Won’t Believe
Pizza hot from the printer, anyone? These cooking gadgets harness imagination and high tech — and have price tags to match
Full Story
Furniture 12 Sofa Colors That Won't Box You In
With any of these colors as a base, you can change your decor as often as you change your mind
Full Story
Our goal is to make a better and more pleasant atmosphere in the most functional parts of the home so our clients... Read More
King Construction Company, LLC has been custom building all types of agricultural and accessory buildings for... Read More