SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eirlim

To paint the cabinets or not (pics included)

eirlim
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi guys, I'm a first time home buyer in the middle of updating the house we just bought and I keep coming back to houzz to ask for opinions because everyone here is so helpful!!!

So I know this question of whether to paint the kitchen cabinets or not is an old, eye-roll inducing one, but I just wanted to get some input on whether I'm heading in the right direction with the updates I'm making.

The design of the cabinets are actually quite modern and they are in decent shape, it's just very orange and there's so much of it. It was actually covered in a ton of ugly tiles and dingy, dark corian countertops so we demo'd everything and are getting new white quartz countertops (with a bit of gray in it) and white subway tiles with dark gray grout installed. With the white tiles and quartz, my plan was to paint the cabinets a light gray to brighten up the kitchen further, but I just put new flooring in and I've noticed that the floor and the cabinets actually go together okay. So I thought, maybe I'll keep the cabinets and just replace (or spray paint) the current hardware to matte black and call it good, but because it takes up a huge surface area in the open floor living+kitchen space that we have, I'm worried that it'll be too much orange that just doesn't belong with the rest of the house.

My husband says he can't really picture it just yet and thinks painted cabinets would look better. My parents think the cabinets are fine and think painting them is not such a good idea but then they also thought the ugly flooring in the kitchen was fine and haven't updated their kitchen in about 20 years, so I'm not too sure if I should pay attention to them. I don't know what kind of wood it is, definitely not oak, but my realtor said it would take paint pretty well. If I paint them, I'd do it myself; I've done my research and do kno that painting cabinets is a ton of work and time but I'm prepared to do it and am pretty confident that I can do a decent job. Obviously, though, not painting them would be so much easier.

Please take a look at the pictures and share your opinion! (I'll be painting the walls a warm white and the furniture will be mostly ivory/ black brown stained wood in the mid century modern design.) I added the last picture as it shows the texture and color of the cabinets well.

Comments (14)