SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
needsometips08

Hutch countertop same wood as cabinets - or no? Pics included

14 years ago

I have another detail decision to make, and I would love opinions and recommendations on wood species.

I will have a stand alone painted cream and glazed hutch. The other cabinetry - perimeter and island- will be birch with basically a clear stain. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the door sample.

I want the countertop on the hutch to be wood sealed with Waterlox or tung oil or something. Question - should the wood countertop species be the same as the perimeter cabinetry or different?

Here are some pics:

I've always liked this wood - it's the hutch of someone here on the forum, but can't remember who. It's tiger maple, but I have some color variation in the cabinetry and my granite, Golden Beaches, has detail (more busyness!) so I don't think I should introduce yet more busyness with tigerwood, right?:

{{!gwi}}

I like black walnut too, but again, I am thinking it's too different than the cabinetry, right? Normal maple seems too calm perhaps? Cherry too red? Should I just stick with the safe bet and match the cabinets?

Since I don't have a photo of my door sample, here is the closest I can find in looking through the FKB, and I think it's fairly close to what mine looks like - for sure in the graining, and pretty close in the color.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (3)