Go!!!

ETA

As in, post your fixins.

SaveComment89Like
Comments (89)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jasdip

SLEEVE don't you dare!!!!!!

No one is against the way you cook!! I wish I had the imagination to cook as you do. Everything is super healthy. I'm lucky just to put some veggies on a plate and some leaves in a bowl.

Save    
Sherry

Sleevendog, I can't cook the stuff you do, even the salads. My husband wouldn't eat them and it would be way too much for me. He won't eat the vegetables you cook. He won't eat salads with anything except iceburg lettuce. Sometimes I buy a package with all the different lettuces and spinach for me, but it is only one salad and I have to toss the rest. That doesn't mean I don't like seeing them. He didn't even eat the plain stuff I cooked tonight. It went in the frig and I will probably throw it away in a couple of days.

I like everything but beets, and probably I have never had good beets. Dad heated up canned. I cooked them once and they tasted like dirt, but like I said, I did not know how to cook and what to buy.

Save    
nekotish

Sleevendog - I must have missed something, not sure who isn't receptive to your posts - just ignore them. I admire your ingenuity and while my husband would find a lot of your stuff too veggie-centric for his tastes, I would leave some stuff off his portion and carry on. If I were single, I'd eat like you do! DH is very meat, potatoes and veg, light on the veg. He gets better as time goes on and is always open to trying new things. One day at a time. (This has been my mantra since March!)

Save    
neely

Sleeve, sincerely hope you will pop in occasionally to show us your great fresh foods and meals. I personally am in awe of how many fresh ingredients you pack into every meal.

Etd

What’s for dinner... warm potato salad, salad and slices of bought corn beef.

Save    
anniesjacuzzi

Sleeve....I know I’ve never posted in appreciation of your amazing dishes either... but I’m a vegetarian and if I had the imagination, patience and didn’t have to cook 3 different meals... I’d be asking for your recipes❤️...please keep showing us those beautiful pieces of art!

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

I made a new recipe tonight. One pan dinner of chicken parts, potatoes and carrots simmered in a honey, soy sauce, garlic sauce. I'll be putting it in my keeper binder. I also threw in some cauliflower.

I'm not a blog-lover and true to form her method said to cook it in the oven for 15 minutes. That wouldn't come close to cooking the potatoes and carrots so I cooked it for 30-40 minutes and it was perfect.

2 Likes Save    
annie1992

No, sleevendog, stay. I get my fix of all the things that either Elery or Mother won't eat.

Neely, I actually really like corned beef, even the stuff from the store, and I LOVE potatoes, so I'd be happy with that meal.

Jasdip, that looks good. Like you, I'm not a blog lover. It drives me crazy to look at 17 pictures of raw ingredients and read paragraphs about anything except the recipe that I'm looking for. (sigh)

Here I'm still strugging to cook for Mother and Elery, I have an election coming up in a month and I've had some digestive bug for two weeks now. Mother is at my brother's so that she's not exposed to all the people I'm dealing with now, including election workers, staff from the County Clerk, voters who want to pick up or drop off absentee ballots, etc. I'm still cooking once a week and dropping off a week's worth of food for her, so today was cooking day.

Those new pullets are laying like crazy and the Bed and Breakfast is still not open, so I have a refrigerator full of eggs. I used 13 of them today, only 34 dozen to go, LOL. I'm passing them out to neighbors, other Board members, anyone who will take them. So, I baked a couple of small quiche for Mother, with finely diced turkey ham and colby-jack cheese. She only likes turkey ham, not the "real" stuff and the only cheese she'll eat is colby-jack and mozzarella on a pizza.

I made Sol's Tomato Pie for Elery, with the addition of diced Hatch chilies and made with the last Barnes Mountain Pink tomato from the garden.

Waldorf salad on the side, because we picked 7 bushels of apples this morning, most of those will go into the cider press as I didn't have time to spray this summer.

I baked some corn muffins, the sweet and moist ones that Mother likes. I had one of those for "supper" while Elery had the Tomato Pie. I didn't take pictures.

I also made slices of the turkey ham glazed with crushed pineapple and brown sugar, some of those 5 ingredient peanut butter cookies and a batch of butternut squash soup. No pictures of those either, and they're all packaged in the fridge, ready to go.

Yesterday I had chicken noodle soup from a box, while Elery had chicken fajitas and a side of roasted golden beets from the garden:

Last week I made beef barley soup with mushrooms:

and pork chops for Elery, with some of the barley and a vegetable mix of zucchini from the garden and corn from the freezer:

I've been working on collards, they need to be canned and are one of my last garden chores. They are HUGE, so big I had to measure a leaf:

Tomorrow I do Mother's grocery shopping and deliver her meals. What's for dinner? Darned if I know...

Annie

4 Likes Save     Thanked by bragu_DSM 5
Lynda (Zn9b/23 - Central CA Coast)

Baked salmon teriyaki over sticky rice with a salad - simple and good. We didn't have teriyaki sauce, so I made my own. It was easy to do and better than store bought. Of course, Garrett scraped every last bit of the sauce off the fish before he would eat it.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Annie those leaves remind me of foods steamed in banana leaves etc.

Beautiful photo, Lynda, and of course your teriyaki sauce looks incredible.

Save    
seagrass_gw

Chili Mac here. I buy Barilla large elbows for it, and we grate sharp cheddar to top it with. A good way to stretch DH's yummy chili. When he makes a pot of it, we freeze a lot and this is our last batch until he makes some more - usually on a Saturday while he watches football in the kitchen.

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Son is bringing his family over. Smoked butt, fresh green beans and corn on the cob. Yummm!!

Save    
Jasdip

Hah, I made breaded pork chops and roasted vegetables for dinner. A baking sheet full of veggies. The breading got a little darker than I wanted, but it was all good.

As usual, enough for 2 meals.

1 Like Save    
neely

Yum Jasdip. Your meals are just what we would cook. Annie, Elery’s pork chop, barley and zucchini looks mighty good to me. Lynda, your salmon looks delicious and I sure wouldn’t be scraping off any of that teriyaki goodness. Ediej your family meal sounds good as does your chillimac Seagrass.

Got out of my reading chair to peel some potatoes and sweet potatoes, top and tail beans and with DH help with the gravy, we had a roast lamb dinner and it was good.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by bragu_DSM 5
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

I didn't get a picture, we were too hungry to wait, The butt was THE BEST my DH has ever made. You could taste the smoke but the meat was so tender and juicy.

Save     Thanked by bragu_DSM 5
Jasdip

Neely, I love the look of your dinner!! I've only tried baking sweet potatoes once, and they burst. Yuck. I like them cooked and mashed with regular potatoes.

Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

@annie1992, do you happen to have a link for Sol's Tomato Pie recipe. I have searched and not been able to find anything.

Save    
Jasdip

Walnut, I found this, doing a search. It's called Tomato Tart.

Tomato Tart Sol

Crust This makes two 9-inch tart shells.
2½ cups AP flour
3 tablespoons semolina flour
1 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons [1½ sticks] cold, unsalted butter
3 tablespoons cold solid shortening
Ice water
Preheat oven to 400°F. Put the flours and salt in food processor. Pulse a couple of times, just enough to integrate the ingredients.
Add the butter and shortening all at once and pulse until the mixture looks like moist crumbs and no chunks of butter or shortening remain.
Sprinkle ice water over the surface of the dough. Repeat with 3 more tablespoonsful. Pulse to just bring the dough together. The dough should be past crumbly, but holding together. Cut the dough in half and wrap each half in plastic wrap. Press each half to form a disk. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before rolling out. Then roll out one disk to ¼" thick. Fit into your tart pan, and chill 30 minutes. Dock the bottom of the tart. Line it with parchment or foil, and weigh it down with pie weights or dried beans. Place tart shell on center rack in the oven and bake 10 minutes. Remove paper and weights from the pan. Return it to the oven and bake another 10-15 minutes or until the tart is a light-golden brown. Remove from the oven and set on wire rack to cool.

Filling
12-15 plum tomatoes, cored and cut into ¼"-thick rounds
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard *
1 cup coarsely grated Gruyere cheese
1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence
2 large eggs
¼ cup light cream
1 teaspoon salt
A few turns of freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 375°F. Put the tomato slices in a colander and place in the sink. Let them sit for 15 minutes to drain off any excess liquid. Spread the mustard evenly over the tart shell. Sprinkle the cheese over the mustard and sprinkle the Herbes de Provence over the gruyere cheese.
Working from the outside in, lay the drained tomato slices in overlapping, concentric circles, covering the crust completely.
Whisk the eggs in a bowl, whisk in the cream, salt and pepper. Pour this custard evenly over the tomatoes until it comes to about ¼ inch from the top edge of the crust. Bake for 1 hour, to 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until the custard is set.
Once Upon a Tart

*Note: I used Pesto instead of Dijon mustard.

1 Like Save     Thanked by bragu_DSM 5
Jasdip

I felt like something rich and gooey for dinner, so I made chicken enchiladas. The sauce was made from scratch as were the tortillas.

2 Likes Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
  • @Jasdip, thank you so much for Sol's recipe. I would never have thought to search for tomato tart. I read through so, so many posts when trying to find Sol's Tomato Pie and never even came across any mention of it. Now I know why.
Jasdip

WC, I looked through a number of Tomato Pie recipes and came across Sol's. I didn't specifically look for 'tart'. Regardless, you got the recipe! :-D

Save    

@Jadsip Enchiladas, homemade sauce, and homemade tortillas - Yum, yum, yum! I haven't had enchiladas in forever and now I am craving them.

@neely I love lamb, your roast looks great.

@edie, It is so good that you got to have family over, it sounds like you had a great meal. I really miss cooking for others and hate that this virus is keeping people apart.

Tonight's midweek dinner was game hen with risotto and roasted carrots. I finished my work early and thought I would make a blueberry balsamic sauce. I had high hopes for it. Sadly, it was the weak point of the meal as it was just too thin.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

That meal sounds delicious, Lynda.

Save    
neely

Those enchiladas looks yummy Jasdip and thanks for posting Sol’s tomato tart recipe... sounds good especially with the addition of the Dijon mustard.

Lynda your meal looks delicious, I never think to have risotto as a side but then I do love orzo as a side... similar? Maybe!

We had the following chicken fillet, a sort of caponata and sauté potatoes. I would call this a Jasdip like meal.

@Neely That is a Jadsip meal! Those potatoes look really good.

Save    

Here are a couple of our midweek meals. When I am busy, I usually use the rice maker to make the side and vegetable.

Chicken piccata with rice maker risotto and steamed carrots.

Cedar plank salmon with a thyme lemon butter sauce and pearled faro with shallots and Russian kale.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Last night had a meal I truly enjoyed and it was served on my fine china. 😉 AF Chicken Thigh, IP Mac&Cheese, IP Broccoli, and garlic bread made from a buttered, garlicked, and toasted English Muffin. I can see from the picture, the broccoli could have been moved down so it would show more.

annie1992

Thanks, Jasdip, for posting that. The enchiladas look good but the tortillas look amazing!

Lynda, your meals all look delicious.

Edie, everything tastes better when you share it with someone you love, doesn't it?

neely, those potatoes are just calling to me, so nice and crunchy.

Walnutcreek, the garlic bread looks better than the broccoli anyway, LOL.

Here, I've been canning greens, first kale then collards. We had some fresh too:

I made some beef stew and roasted butternut squash, everything from the garden and farm:

Corn muffins to go with the beef stew:

Elery put a moose loin in the Nesco one of the evenings I was at election training. Bud came over the next day and had a moose slider with honey mustard and some cinnamon zucchini pickles on the side with a cup of butternut squash bisque:

Elery mixed some of the moose with scrambled eggs for breakfast, topped with the ever present hot sauce:

I baked a couple of pork chops on a bed of cabbage and apples, topped the chops with fresh herbs:

I found some Ghost Pepper tortillas at the grocery store, seemed like it would be right up Elery's alley, so I bought them:

He used those to eat the venison bulgogi I made for supper, I used lettuce leaves in place of anything with Ghost Peppers in it, LOL.

I think I'm caught up!

Annie

bragu_DSM 5

so Annie, is that corn muffins to go with the beef stew, or beef stew to go with the corn muffins ...

it's the latter here ...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Save    

@walnut creek - Your mac n cheese looks great. It sounds like you love your IP. I like my rice cooker (which is a huge time saver for mid week meals), but don't have an IP or air fryer yet. It is interesting to see how it is used.

We had a Jadsip inspired meal tonight -- enchiladas suizas. I have been craving enchiladas since the post. It was really really good but not very photogenic, so no picture. Next time, we would like to make it with homemade tortillas. Of course, Garrett who won't eat cheese, ate the shredded chicken and tortillas plain. He really doesn't know what he is missing.

@annie Those corn muffins - yum!

Save    
annie1992

Bragu, I made the stew first, so I guess the muffins were to go with them. They did make a perfectly nice breakfast the next day too..

Thanks, Lynda, I use AnnT's recipe, because Mother likes her corn muffins kind of sweet and moist. Elery likes his cornbread white with no sugar, kind of crumbly, so they have to take turns getting the kind they like best, LOL.

I'm missing sleevendog here, with all her lovely fresh salads and Misfit vegetable boxes. (sigh)

Annie

neely

Agree Annie about missing Sleevendog’ s salads. All your meals look tasty. The cinnamon pickled zucchini sounds intriguing and looks somewhat different. Bud seems an adventurous eater for a young lad. Good on him.

Walnut Creek your meal looks really good. I love Mac and cheese but DH not so much. However as a side he might go for it.

Two yummy looking meals there Lynda.

It’s Sat night here so I cooked Chinese food. Hoisin Pork and vegetables.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by bragu_DSM 5
Jasdip

Neely, your chicken and potatoes is definitely a Jasdip meal! LOL Your potatoes are extra-ordinarily beautiful.

Lynda your chicken and salmon meals look delicious.

Neely, your Hoisin pork above......YUM!!!

Annie, wonder-woman. I love your home-grown and home-canned meals. You still have the patience of many Jobs to make individual meals to satisfy everyone.

This is our Canadian Thanksgiving. I'm not cooking a turkey for myself, but I will bake some chicken parts with potatoes and roasted or sauteed brussels sprouts. I have quite a few yet that need to be used up. I may or may not get around to posting pics.

I did make an apple crostata this morning. I've been wanting desserts lately, which is so unlike me. I went to the apple orchard on Friday and bought a 10-lb bag of Cortlands and some apple butter.

The apples aren't burned, it's my cinnamon and nutmeg that make them look dark.

@annie I am with your mother, I like corn muffins sweet and moist.

@neely Hoisin pork look delicious.

@jadsip crostata looks delicious, and just like I what I have been calling my rustic tart.

Tonight's meal was New York steak in cast iron skillet, sautéed new potatoes (from our garden), mixed greens (also from our garden) and a Paso Tempranillo. Our vacation home is 20 minutes from Paso, and we love the wine they produce there.

annie1992

Neely, Bud will eat pretty much anything except salad, he's got a pretty good appetite. Of course, he'll be 15 next week, so he's a growing boy, LOL. Your Chinese food looks really good, I've been wanting sesame chicken. Definitely not healthy, LOL, and probably not even Asian.

Happy Thanksgiving, Jasdip. As for the patience, well, I need more of it and I need it NOW. (grin) We must be thinking alike again, I made apple pie for Elery. Not a favorite of mine, but he and Makayla love it.

Lynda, those potatoes looks nice and crunchy, just the way I like them!

Amanda, Dave and Bud were here for dinner today, Makayla had to work. We had pork roast, potato salad from the potatoes I just dug from the garden, baked beans, garlic bread and sauteed cabbage. Apple pie and a flourless chocolate cake with peanut butter fudge and ganache. And, of course, I forgot to take pictures.

Annie

1 Like Save    
neely

That crostata looks delish Jasdip, I wouldn’t have thought to cook one in my cast iron pan but will do so next time.

We had curried beef for late lunch. DH made this and I liked it very much. He put in quite a lot of chillis, fresh ginger, onion, garlic and desiccated coconut as well as a spoonful of a paste. Not quite from scratch but almost.

ETA. Goodness, while I was posting both Annie and Lynda popped in.

Great meal Lynda.... look at that steak.

Annie your roast sounds delicious and apple pie and a flourless chocolate cake with extras for dessert... you are amazing.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Neely and Lynda, both your sauteed potatoes look perfect. Are they fried from raw? Do you soak them first to alleviate some of the starch? I've read where people do that, but I never think of it when it's time to cook them.

Annie just-dug potatoes, there's nothing like it. Do you grow all varieties? Yukon's are my favourite, whites my least favourite.

Neely, as you know, I love my cast iron.

Here's a regular pie baked in it

2 Likes Save     Thanked by bragu_DSM 5

@Jadsip I've been inspired with what you do with a cast iron skillet. I just bought my husband a new one for his birthday. This should allow our existing one to be used to bake with.

Like Annie, we harvest potatoes when we are ready to eat them. We grow Yukon Gold (which is our favorite too) and Red Norlans. Neither are very starchy, so we just dig, clean, cut and sauté. @annie What types do you grow?

@neely You, Annie and I were all posting at the same time. What a coincidence given we are all in different time zones. Your lunch looks very tasty - I love ginger in curry.

Celebration dinner! My DH would rather eat at home to celebrate his birthday. Per his request - King crab, vegetable risotto and key lime pie.

annie1992

That is funny, we're all posting at once, from our various corners of the world! Meanwhile, Jasdip and I are both baking apple pies, great minds coming together, LOL.

Neely, Elery would love that meal with all the chilies, you're talking his kind of food.

Lynda, how can you go wrong with crab legs? Yum.

Potatoes? I grow Yukon Gold, Red Pontiac and Kennebec. I like the Kennebec for baking, the Pontiac for potato salad and frying and the Yukon Gold for mashing. It's the Irish in me, I just like potatoes.

Tonight's supper was a BLT, and then Elery ate the last piece of the apple pie. I had to cook for Mother, so I baked some chocolate cookies, made a batch of potato cheese soup and a ham and cheese quiche. I know she'll eat the cookies, but who knows what else.

Annie

1 Like Save    
Islay Corbel

Newly, would you share the recipe, please? Looks very fresh and good.

Save    
Jasdip

I heated up some leftover chicken pieces, green beans and potatoes for dinner. I'm glad I didn't make a turkey for Thanksgiving, that would be a LOT of leftovers.

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Who would have thunk that this is normal above my sink. I'm less stressed than I predicted a month ago. Work tossed a boat load of money to get me back. Committed to three weeks on, three weeks off.

DH and I have few dozen favorites.

...in rotation.

Sherry

Jasdip, I can buy turkey pieces here. either a leg quarter or thighs or a breast. I have bought the thighs a lot to add to a turkey when I have lots over that like dark meat. Sometimes my turkey has eight to twelve legs, lol. It will be useful if I decide to not cook a whole turkey this year.

Save    
annie1992

I wish I could buy turkey parts here, but it's pretty much whole turkeys or an occasional package of smoked legs, but never fresh parts. I do like turkey, but the mashed potatoes wold be my first choice!

Sleevendog, I have a couple of masks hanging by the front door, for when people are dropping off absentee ballots. I have a couple in my vehicle in case I need to stop somewhere. And I have a plastic tub with a snap on lid full of masks. I have Halloween mask, I've already bought some Christmas masks. I have masks that say "Vote" to wear working the polls on election day. And, of course, I just have plain colors and a couple of pink silk masks for Mother. Although I have a box of the disposable masks I try to not use those, people are tossing used ones everywhere and birds and animals are getting entangled in the elastic loops, so I don't contribute to the problem if I can help it. I do like the masks with the metal nose piece the best, because I can adjust that so it doesn't fog up my glasses. I figure I'll be wearing them well into next year.

I did take a picture of that apple pie, just before Elery ate the last piece!

Elery bought some hot dogs at the "buy one get one free" sale, so we had some Nathan's Famous hot dogs with KatieC's chipotle catsup and some horseradish sauce on homemade oatmeal buns and some red cabbage and apple slaw. I only have one more head of red cabbage to use from the garden and I put the second package of hot dogs in the freezer for "grandkid food".

This is that flourless chocolate cake, with a layer of peanut butter fudge and a layer of ganache. I made it in a springform pan so it was easier to get out. We cut it into very small wedges, as it was very rich. My son in law promptly had some ice cream with his, gilding the lily, LOL.

Last night we had coconut shrimp with some more of the slaw and a sauce made with a mix of home canned orange marmalade and my Habanero Gold, a pretty good combo of hot/sweet/bitter.

This is the last watermelon from the garden. I don't have good luck with melons, usually, but this year they liked the extreme hot, and I watered them a LOT. My computer is throwing colors off, it's actually much more red than this:

And finally, we spent the morning chucking apples into the cider press. I got 5 gallon jugs for the kids and these 5 quarts are for me. Plenty of head space so they don't burst in the freezer!

We don't really drink it, but I use it as a brine for pork roast or reduce it into apple cider syrup. Since I still have about a dozen jars in the refrigerator from last year, I didn't keep any more for my own use. Amanda and Ashley will eat get a gallon, Elery's two sons will each get a gallon and one gallon will be left for his family's Christmas, if we can get together. His oldest son is planning to fly from California, but we're taking that one day at a time.

Annie

neely

Hi Islay Corbel, as I wasn’t sure which recipe you were referring to, I have included both.

They are not exact recipes because DH and I tend to have the general outcome in mind and kind of cook towards it.

The beef curry

Sauté one onion, one clove of garlic (you could add more)chillis and about tablespoon of grated ginger with some cut up beef... enough for two in our case.

DH then added about dessert spoon of a Thai green curry paste and some beef stock (powered was all we had) and some water to almost cover. Simmered till beef was tender then added a good tables spoon of desiccated coconut.

The hoisin Pork

Prepare the pork by chopping slices of belly pork slices into chunks. Again sauté onion, garlic, ginger, then add the pork plus about one tablespoon sugar, one tablespoon of hoisin sauce and about two tablespoons of soy sauce plus some water to top the pork. Simmer till tender and melting delicious. Remove pork, set aside remaining sauce adding one teaspoon corn flour/ corn starch.

Prep vegetables intending to use, I used green beans, chilli, onion and green onions, bean sprouts. Add all to Wok or large fry pan and stir fry in a little oil. Add the precooked pork. After a few minutes add the sauce the pork was cook in and stir all around until it thickens and that’s it...serve

Hope these recipes make sense and that I haven’t forgotten something.

Save    
neely

Lovely to see your flourless chocolate cake Annie, it looks so rich and luscious and I would love a piece. Funnily we both made red cabbage cole slaw, I added chicken schnitzel and a few chips. I think we eat too big a portion.

Good to see your masks Sleevendog but would also like to see a salad.

Jasdip, that pie and chicken meal have my name on them.

Lynda, your dinner for DH looks so good. The pie looks delish.

Jasdip

Neely, your Pork Hoisin is on my next-to-try meal! P.S. Your meals aren't too big, that's my size! LOL (your schnitzel and fries made my stomach growl) :-D

Save    
annie1992

Neely, I think your portions are fine, but if you look at the fork on the plate you'll realize that my FiestaWare plates are HUGE, so portions look small.

Your schnitzel and fries look especially good, yum.

I was working on election "stuff" all day, so Elery made some 4 bean vegetarian chili:

I made three loaves of honey wheat bread, 2 loaves will go in the freezer so Mother will have bread for French Toast. I like the crusty chewy bread, but Mother's teeth require soft squishy bread, and so it is:

Yesterday we had corned venison with cabbage and mashed rutabaga. I had a dab of KatieC's chipotle catsup on mine. Even the venison came from the farm, and those are some of the last garden vegetables. I still have potatoes, butternut squash, rutabaga, onions and beets in storage.

I've been trying to plan meals ahead of time, because I'm so busy and will be until the election is over. So, I figure if I have a menu, I'll be able to prep the night before and not scramble to figure out a last minute meal. We'll see how that works, LOL.

Annie

Annie, Your corned venison from the farm is really impressive. You have your own meat source!

This isn't dinner, but I have been craving pizza, so I made it for lunch. Our basil is done for the season, so I pulled it today and used some on my margarita pizza. Garrett, who still will not try cheese, had a prosciutto and olive oil "pizza".

Save    
foodonastump

I’m so annoyed; haven’t prepared a picture worthy meal in a while but tonight I did and forgot to take the picture. Finally an Oktoberfest meal, Rouladen with Spätzle and SV asparagus. Here’s a picture from prep though. Made to order, everything in wife’s and mine, hold the onions and pickle for my son, hold the onions, pickle, and bacon for my daughter. She’s a minimalist when it comes to food, even cuts the “crust” off of her meat.

neely

I love Rouladen Foodonastump and yours look like they will be good. Made to order indeed. Your name has always intrigued me. Over here in Australia there’s a saying “beyond the black stump” (burnt tree) which means way Outback which in turn means in the hinterland of Australia. I imagine this wonderful plate of food sitting on a tree stump in the hinterland of the US.

Funny to say corned venison Annie, rather than corned beef which rolls off the tongue, any way it looks delish.

Lynda your pizza looks yummy.

We had Moussaka for one meal.

Then some left over meat from the Moussaka was mixed with cooked rice and became stuffed peppers.

1 Like Save    
annie1992

Lynda, I raise my own beef and chickens too, but I have to actually take care of them, the venison takes care of itself! I'd like the pizza with no cheese, I think, I'm not a big fan of cheese.

Neely, the moussaka looks delicious, but the potato looks perfect.

FOAS, you remind me that I haven't made rouladen in a long time, I should do that soon.

Mother is here so we had broccoli cheese soup, I forgot to take a picture. Yesterday we had hamburgers and some fresh "leaves" from my hoop house, the first cutting. ELery added some chili and red cabbage slaw to his burger:

Annie

Jasdip

Neely, I love your potato!! I'm like Annie, I love potatoes any old way. No such thing as a bad potato.

I made meatloaf yesterday. I sauteed some onion and carrot and added them to it. The black is the ketchup and yellow mustard glaze. A lot of people add brown sugar to it, but I don't like a sweet glaze.

Jasdip

Meatballs with a soy sauce and crashed potatoes. I had some sour cream which I seldom have, so I topped the potatoes with some.

Annie, Your leaves are coming along nicely!

Foodonastump, I am apparently the only one here who has never heard of rouladen. From your picture, I can tell it is meat and bacon, which means it is right up my ally. How do you prepare it? It seems like something I would want to try, especially for Octoberfest.

Our Kaffir/Makrut limes are in season, and I have been trying to find something to make with them. I had a light work day, which allowed me to get in the kitchen this afternoon. First, I made Thai green curry using our lemon grass, kaffir/makrut limes, Thai peppers, with store bought garlic, ginger, shallots, Thai basil, cilantro and fish oil. It smelled amazing and we will try it out in the next few days.

For dinner tonight, we had ling cod over pearled cous cous with roasted carrots. The kaffir/makrut limes were used in the cous cous and were part of sauce. The flavor was great, but the thicker pieces of cod were a bit undercooked. The recipe is a keeper, but I will need to make sure that the thicker pieces stay in the pan longer.

1 Like Save    
bragu_DSM 5

that looks like a great change of pace Lynda!

Save    

We were going to have lamb skewers tonight, until our local fish market announced they had some great fish on sale.

petalique

Ah, Annie, I want a bite of that burger! And I find it so sweet that it already has a bite taken from it. Yummy testament.

Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

This is what I had last night, all three done PIP (individually) in the 8 quart IP. Beef Ravioli with Red Sauce, Corn on the Cob, and Broccoli. First time I had had these three items together. Surprisingly, to me, it was pretty darned good together. All of the plates were in the dishwasher, so had to use a paper one.

neely

Looks like a tasty combo to me WalnutCreek.

I really like that you like sushi so much Lynda. Hah! I do like sushi but don’t think to make it at home, but I should. Anyway yours looks yummy as does that piece of ling cod over pearl cous cous.

Jasdip, two good meals that I would eat straight away. I like carrots with most meals as well.

Totally agree with petalique Annie, the burger looks delicious. Got to love those leaves.

We had what we call Tuna bake made by DH. He makes a large baking dish full which we cut up and freeze largish square chunks. Ideal to poof when neither of us feels like cooking which has been a regular habit of late. Although I have enjoyed getting the foodstuff delivered, I guess I am missing looking at the counters of meat and fish in person in the shops and thinking what I could do with it.

I been making heaps of muffins to have with our at home morning coffee.... blueberry (of course) raspberry, chocolate, choc chip but our favourite has turned out to be these... stewed apple. I dollop a large teaspoon full of the apple on top of the muffin mix then cover over with more of the mix. Apple feels and tastes right.

@neely Those muffins look so good!

Save    
Jasdip

Apples, I have apples. They'd be good in muffins, thanks for the idea, Neely!

Thanks to Jinx who posted on the favourite recipes thread. I tried her chicken and vegetables in foil for dinner tonight. I found an easy teriyaki sauce recipe, I just added some sambel olek for some kick. Very good, and I'll make it again.

Seeing lots of cooler temp meals. We think we had our last BLTAvocado a couple days ago. A dozen green ones still out there but they do not care for the cold.

Jasdip

Sleeve, I'm so glad you're back at the WFD thread!

Your 'they do not care for the cold' made me smile.

1 Like Save    
John Liu

DD made us brunch! The “potatoes” are turnip - she’s on the keto diet.

lizbeth-gardener

Gorgeous plate, John Liu! Looks like you're reaping the benefits of DD being back home.

Save    
John Liu

I had to do all the dishes :-(

Save    

@John What a nice brunch....well worth doing the dishes for!

Save    
neely

Yum John! Looks like your DD sautéd the turnip. I am always trying to think of ways to use up turnips.

Am craving a BLT with avocado now Sleevendog.

Teriyaki chicken and vegetables sounds good Jasdip.

A friend came over and we ate outside. She brought salads, dips and Turkish bread. Though no cooking was actually done by me it was ‘What’s for Dinner’ or rather late lunch.

Peke

Cullen Skink soup except I can't buy smoked haddock here so I used salmon that I smoked at home.

1 Like Save    

Tonight we had Thai green curry chicken using the curry paste I made last week. With the paste made already, it made for a quick and tasty mid week dinner.

annie1992

Petalique, feel badly for poor Elery, he had to stop eating his burger so I could take a picture of it, LOL. Mine had no chili and didn't look nearly as good...

Lynda, the cod looks good, but the sushi always calls to me, I need to make some.

Jasdip, you just had to post those crashed potatoes, didn't you. Yeah, you know what you are doing to me. (grin)

Walnut Creek, those are the same plates Mother has, she calls them the "good china". (snicker) Corn on the cob is pretty much over here, yours looks good and fresh. I did see some at the grocery store, $4.99 for 3 ears. Wow, it seems like it was just all along the road in truckloads and now it's gone.

Neely, is that kind of like our American tuna noodle casserole? The muffins, now those look yummy!

Sleevendog, you still have tomatoes? Even the ones I covered gave up a couple of weeks ago here, Elery is still in mourning!

JohnLiu, I haven't tried home fries with turnips but I do that with golden beets and if you get them crispy enough they are a passable alternative. Of course, I do like the beets anyway. Sorry about those dishes, but I'm betting it was worth it!

Peke, I like all types of seafood chowder, and it's the right weather for it here, I might have to make some, thanks for the push.

Here today we had "meatless Monday", a recipe that called itself Butternut Squash Lasagna but had no resemblance to lasagna other than it was assembled in layers. It was from Eating Well and was pretty good, slices of butternut squash layered with ricotta and spinach, a cheese sauce and mushrooms and onions. We had home canned green beans on the side.

Last night I was at Mother's delivering her weekly meals. I took potato soup, soft rolls, molasses cookies, some cheese quiche. No pictures.

Before that we had eggroll in a bowl and some diced golden beets, glazed with some of my home canned Habanero Gold:

Another night I baked bread and made some bean soup with several kinds of beans and various vegetables:

Tomorrow? Who knows...

Annie

Jasdip

Nice healthy meals Neely and Lynda.

Annie I like making the egg roll in a bowl when I want lots of leftovers. At least mine sure grows!

I bought some discounted zucchini that was in a tray to make my teriyaki chicken. I didn't use it all so I turned the rest into Nick Stellino's pasta with zucchini sauce. It's a nice summery dish, good way to use up zucchini/yellow squash.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Tried to be creative with some leftover Thai Hot Chicken last night. About 1 cup of the chicken, a big handful and a small handful of shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, mixed it well. Did this while my pasta was cooking in the IP. When the pasta was done, mixed in the chicken/cheese along with about a good 1/4 cup or more pesto sauce. Mixed it all in well, then put the lid back on the IP, set it to Warm while I prepared garlic bread for the toaster oven. And, also to take care of the baby carrots in another IP. I loved the flavors of the pasta dish and will make this again. Here is the result.

neely

Good cooking going on here everyone but it’s Annie’s Butternut squash lasagna that has my full attention... seems a good idea.

Rollmop salad. A different brand than I usually get. This one tasted good but the skin was tough. The brand I usually get is meltingly soft with a texture like velvet. I know you and textures Annie. How are you on rollmops?

I had to look up rollmop. I think we would like that. The velvet version. I do have an issue with even slightly chewy skin. Salmon needs to be crispy or it comes off. Same with chicken skin...

Oh b@lls. I just checked the forecast. First frost tomorrow night. I'll just pick all the tomatoes today. I might bring a few plants inside.

One year at the farm we had an august 28th first frost. We pulled up a few dozen whole plants out of the ground and hung upside down in the barn.

50º and rainy here today so not much will happen towards ripening. The squirrel still gets one or two cherries a day or I would have many more.

Sleevendog, It is great that you still have tomatoes. What varieties do you grow? Ours have been done for months now. It was the worst season we had for them. This was our first year with no excess to preserve.

Save    

Ugh, triple b@lls. Just got a text about storm Zeta from our power company. Who the heck is Zeta? Picked all my tomatoes and now I'm soaking wet. No wind until 6pm. Generator tested. Power loss imminent.

(BIL has three b@lls, 😂😂😂) He does not drink so no past chances to view, 😂)... him, "it is only by touch"....me, "I'll go there!"😜 lol.

That darn squirrel, right on his noon schedule, in the rain even, looked around confused. I left him the one tomato too big for him to carry that he bit into a few days ago. (jerky)

Lynda, tomatoes are complicated. Like so many crops, they are not an easy natural grow-out for most climates. We start seeds early under lights, then pot up, then set deep into soil when our soils warm up...not very natural by nature but necessary.

Not every year is kind. Too wet, too dry, cold then too hot.

-if I was smart 30 years ago I would have a rhubarb farm. Grows like a weed and needs nothing. Retirement, sit back and hire help to harvest. Rain/drought no issues.

Most of us here and on gardening forums have our top ten tomatoes we plant every year. I have 300+ varieties but just grow-out around a hundred now. But I'm breeding. Focusing on that now. That would be another thread for top ten varieties. The tomato pictured is one of mine.

Back to dinner. Lamb. Just had a delivery of three more lamb rack dinners. If all fails for a traditional thanksgiving, we are fine. DH has been covid exhausted. Traditional preferred for 30-40 years. Went off with duck and other choices a few times. I like my basics. As does he. In normal times.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Had an interesting and tasty meal last night. Had some leftover roast chicken I drizzles with duck fat and put in a tin on the lowest tray in the air fryer. Then on the second tray put some chunked potato that I had drizzled with duck fat and sprinkled with salt, pepper, and cornmeal. And had leftover honeyed carrots. When I make the potatoes again, will not use as much cornmeal. Also, everything is sort one color. Regardless, everything was good and I am using up leftovers.

Save    
seagrass_gw

We're chilly here, in the mid 40's. We're having leftover chicken Massaman curry I made last night. I always sub sweet potatoes for white. Peanuts on top with Jasmine rice.

Save    
John Liu

DS is cooking, in his college house. He sent me this picture, which he said is fried chicken and sweet potato fries. Looks like the boys are playing cards. My tuition $ well spent!

Jasdip

John, what a great meal your DS made!!! Lucky you that both of your kids are self-sufficient.

Save    
John Liu

his Christmas gift will be a book on Japanese one-pot meals and a suitable vessel!

oh, and a game console.

1 Like Save    
l pinkmountain

I've been away for a couple years. I love this thread but it makes me feel too guilty and gives me ambitions in the kitchen that I don't necessarily have time to fulfill or the money or calorie allotment. Also, I don't necessarily want to take the time to photograph my food or download the photos for posting. I refuse to get started with GW on my phone.

Now that I have that grumpy disclaimer out of the way, where to begin . . .

Jasdip making an apple crostada is on my "to do" list of recipe to try from my late Mother's recipe file. I have all the ingredients but end of the garden tasks need to take priority right now. Your photo was helpful and inspiring.

Also Jasdip, do you think you could post the recipe for the pasta with zucshini sauce? I could use a vegetarian recipe like that. Or even add chicken or white beans to it . . .

I've been trying to take more pleasure in my kitchen time . . . it is definitely a way to set a goal and then have the satisfaction of seeing it to completion relatively quickly, at least for some dishes. Too often though, my results aren't all that great as far as I'm concerned. I've had some success lately with the food I think I am best at . . . soup!

Here's a photo from last night's dinner--It is N. African Potato Salad featuring cumin and dried cilantro, along with Spanish pimento stuffed olives, scallions and tomatoes plus a red wine evoo dressing. I didn't like it. Cumin goes well with potatoes IMHO, but this particular recipe tasted dry and dusty to me. Not a keeper. I make a "Mexican" type of potato salad modeled after some I had at Wegman's back in the day, using corn and peppers and having a lemon cilantro or parsley/corriander pesto in the dressing. That one is much better. This one with dried cilantro didn't cut it for me. I got the recipe off of the dried cilantro jar, so that's why I was willing to give it a try. In this application it just wasn't great. Dried cilantro has a pretty washed out flavor, even when fresh, which mine was.

Tonight's goal is some pasta sauce and then a baked penne riff after one I saw on Lidia Bastianich's feed earlier this week. Still have some fresh tomatoes from the garden so giving it a try for the sauce . . . and one vegetarian Italian sausage and a pork chop from dinner with Dad to add, along with some French lentils. That will replace the ground pork that was in Lidia's dish . . .

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Another simple meal last night, leftover beans and rice to which I added a little beer before heating; that was a big success. Also had air fried breaded okra, along with green onions, cherry tomatoes, and fresh baked cornbread. Don't know why my pictures are sideways now, I position the phone camera just as I always have. Perhaps the recent updates caused that. Will try to remember to turn the phone the other way, the next time I use it to take a picture.

Jasdip

Annie, here's Nick Stellino's pasta with zuchinni sauce.

1 pound pasta, penne or rigatoni

6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

½ teaspoon red pepper flakes

2 cups zucchini, cut into half inch cubes

½ teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped

2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped

2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped

3 tablespoons fresh garlic, chopped

2 cups chicken stock or the water in which you are cooking the pasta

4 tablespoons grated Romano or parmesan cheese

3 tablespoons unsalted butter

Bring a pot of water to boil. Then add the pasta and cook three minutes less than the directions given on the package. (We will finish cooking the pasta in the sauce.)

In a large sauté pan, add the olive oil and cook over medium heat.

Add the red pepper flakes, cook two minutes while stirring.

Add the zucchini and stir well while they fry in the hot olive oil. Continue cooking until they start to brown, about three minutes.

Add salt, pepper, mint, parsley and basil. Stir well to incorporate the ingredients with the zucchini mixture.

Add the garlic, stir well and cook one more minute.

Add the chicken stock or pasta water and keep stirring while the sauce reduces, about 10 to 12 minutes.

Add the drained pasta to the sauce and cook, stirring well for two to three more minutes.

Turn off the heat and add the grated cheese and butter, then stir well until all the cheese has melted and the butter is incorporated into the sauce.

Plate the pasta in individual dishes or pour the pasta into a large serving bowl and serve it family style.

l pinkmountain

Wow, it's just what the recipe says it is, pasta with zucchini! I'm going to have to try it next time I have a bounty of zucchinis.

Save    
annie1992

Thanks, Jasdip, although it was lpink that asked for that recipe. You know how many zucchini I got this year, so any good zucchini recipes go into my file for next year!

Annie

Save    
neely

Dinner tonight was crispy skin salmon with sweet potatoes & broccoli. A mustard sauce for me and a wedge of lemon for DH

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Green Building Going Solar at Home: Solar Panel Basics
Save money on electricity and reduce your carbon footprint by installing photovoltaic panels. This guide will help you get started
Full Story
Features How Tupperware’s Inventor Left a Legacy That’s Anything but Airtight
Earl S. Tupper — and his trailblazing marketing guru, Brownie Wise — forever changed food storage. His story is stranger than fiction
Full Story
Kitchen of the Week Kitchen of the Week: Style and Storage in a Compact Space
A mix of splurges and saves creates a beautiful new kitchen and entry area
Full Story
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More