SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
samkarenorkaren

Would you dye your hair a rainbow color?

samkarenorkaren
3 years ago

Not trying to get into a discussion on freedom of expression here. Just wondering...Would you dye your hair blue or green or pink or orange? I see a lot of people who do and (JMO) but it's weird looking to me.
Your thoughts?

Comments (83)

• peacockbleau
    3 years ago

I saw some older ladies who were volunteers at the new aquarium in Shreveport LA. They had blue and aqua , and various blends of the two colors in their gray hair for the grand opening. I thought it was pretty.

• amylou321
    3 years ago

I wouldn't. No reason why. Just no desire to.

My boss would not be the least bit surprised if I waltzed into work one night with pink hair. Nor would he care. My employer has no official hair policy, and indeed one of the younger HR interns often wears different colorful weaves. Perhaps the powers that be here realize that superficial things like hair color do not reflect the work ethic, intelligence, or character of the individual. Good for them, Its just color.

• Related Discussions

Hair dye @ home

Q

Comments (10)
    I use L'Oreal Excellence hair coloring at home. I haven't had trouble with fading. When color fades, it's not always the fault of the color. Often the problem is the products used on the hair. Cheap shampoos will strip the color from your hair. In beauty school, we learned to use several drug store brands to fade color if it was too dark. The harsh chemicals in many shampoos will unintentionally give you this result. Invest in a good shampoo to give your color staying power. Here's a great line to try: http://www.dermstore.com/product_Shine+Therapy+Shampoo_570.htm
    ...See More

Remove hair color/dyes from wood cabinet

Q

Comments (6)
    My dear sweet Mom did that to my bathroom many, many years ago. It was a white bathroom, to make matters worse, and she used jet black dye at the time. Ruined towels and bath rug, too. Don't remember if I pitched a fit or was gracious and asked her not to do it again. I replaced rugs, towels, but stain on countertop stayed forever.
    ...See More

Hair dye and shower material

Q

Comments (9)
    I don't dye my hair or have any desire too, but know that others do and the salon is not only pricey but time consuming as well. But I do have some experience. We have had vinyl floors, faux marble counters, walls, fiberglass tubs and cabinets ruined in rentals. These are neither low or high end, but the only thing that I do not recall having to toss due to dye is the porcelain sink bowl, but they are cheap and we replace often anyway. I would suggest testing your dye of choice on the materials you intend to use and see what the effect is. If you use a dark dye, you might want to match the residue color from the hair dye to determine the colors in the room (grout flooring, cabinets etc) or build so if you plan on selling the damaged items are easily replaced
    ...See More

Do you still dye your hair????

Q

Comments (42)
    Carol, it was the Atrovent that did it. I am back on the Albuteral, but I am afraid to use it. I was switched after a reaction to the Albuteral. I only need it a couple of times in the spring and fall. The insurance companies won't let me have anything else because I didn't go to the ER when I had my reaction to the Albuteral, and don't consider hair loss a good enough reason with the Atrovent. I have the Albuteral filled, but haven't really needed it, tho probably should have a couple of times. The Albuteral will also cause me to loose my hair, but I always just figured it was a winter shed when I would have a lot extra in the shower drain. After my experience with the Atrovent, I know better. Tami
    ...See More
  • bpath
    3 years ago

Ya know, since I‘m not really going anywhere, maybe a pale pink streak would be fun. It would probably be easy to wash out, right?

• stacey_mb
    3 years ago

I had color added to my hair because I had fun seeing it and enjoyed the whole process of collaborating with my stylist. Whether other people thought it was inappropriate or not wasn't my concern at all, in fact, it never occurred to me that I would be judged for this innocuous action.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    3 years ago

It depends bpath. While there are short term colors, the most intense are permanent. First the hair must be bleached to white and then colored with a permanent dye.

• joann_fl
    3 years ago

I would not do it, not even in my younger days.

• Cherryfizz
    3 years ago

In the 1980s I did typing every now and then for the owner of a high end hair salon. He would style and colour my hair. One time he dyed my hair a dark purple maroon and gave me an asymmetrical cut in the shape of a hat, kind of like a lopsided tam. The purple colour was not something I liked but I did keep it going for a few months before I let the style grow out. He often held an International Hair Show and stylists from over the world would come and compete and show their styles. haha I was happy to never walk out of the salon with one of those styles or dye jobs. Lars, the colours in your hair do suit you. I don't mind seeing older women with a few streaks but sometimes they go overboard with the colour. I remember seeing a lot of older women when I was a child with a full head of lavender hair

• bpath
    3 years ago

Sherry, thanks! I’d definitely do something non-permanent!

• Mystical Manns
    3 years ago

Bpath, if you get the hair chalk, it washes right out. Not as brilliant as bleaching and then coloring, but still the colors are nice. I haven't colored my hair in eons, but these temporary things are fun!

I worked for a large global company. "Back in the day," we had dress codes that prohibited shirts without collars, or spaghetti straps for women, no open toed shoes. As executives changed and time passed, restrictions lightened up.

When I retired, we were hiring based on a person's work credentials rather than if they fit a mold. Tattoo sleeves were not uncommon, "natural" hair before it became more widely acceptable, dreadlocks, and yes ... even colors. The AVP (associate vice president) who processed my voluntary layoff had very bright, unnaturally red hair. She was as sharp as a tack.

Progressive businesses should not hold hair color against someone. If they came in dirty, tattered, smelly ... then yes, I could see these factors influencing a hiring decision. But hair of an unnatural color? Shows me the person can think outside the box and isn't afraid to try new things!

• nickel_kg
    3 years ago

Bright colors in hair are like tattoos to me. To do them well takes vision and creativity and style. Me, I'd have to copy someones specific hair or tatt, which seems like cheating. So most likely not in my future. But I enjoy seeing how other people adorn themselves.

• tvq1
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I don't really have an opinion on the rainbow hair--to each their own is my motto.

BUT--I am SOOOOO glad we have Elmer J Fudd here to enlighten us on literally every subject. He is a veritable font of knowledge! /sarc ;}

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    3 years ago

I had a purple streak in my hair last year. I am old enough (and retired long enough) to do what I want. I think vibrant colors are a lot of fun and I don't care what anyone else thinks of mine. It's grown out now, but I thought it was great. There is a woman in a group I'm in. She has grey/white hair and she has the top dyed pink. I love it and I told her so. She was happy to hear it. I think people spend way too much time and energy judging and talking about others. Do what you want and don't criticize others for doing the same.

• caflowerluver
    3 years ago

Elmer - I feel sorry for your daughters (and sons) to grow up in a place that was so restrictive and judgmental. What would be their punishment if they came home with a head of pink hair? Lecture them to death. You are one tightly wound dude.

• tvq1
    3 years ago

Elmer: Everyone's life experiences are different. That means different, not wrong or inferior. One does not need WHITE COLLAR managerial experience to understand that concept.

BTW: Yes, I have. ;} And I have plenty of personal knowledge, I just don't feel the need to post on every thread to prove it.

And PS: I was speaking generally, not just this specific post.

• colleenoz
    3 years ago

I dyed my hair (or rather my hairdresser did it for me) about 4 years ago for a cancer fundraiser. It’s purple and teal. My husband loves it, I love it when I see it, and it’s a colour that suits my skin tone. Everywhere I go, total strangers of all ages and both genders compliment it, though that’s not why I keep it purple and teal. I guess for me it’s a signal to others that I’m not your usual conventional older lady.

I interviewed for a job as a lab technician in a high school and got it: perhaps the interviewers were fans of those TV shows where the lab tech has a funky style 🙂. The kids think it’s cool 😂

One time before we went to Bali, the hairdresser and I were in a hurry and as it turned out, the bits behind my ears were missed. But the pre-bleach had turned those areas pink and yellow, so I had a rainbow on my head. It was fun!

This is a photo from then:

• Adella Bedella
    3 years ago

I'm not really a fan and would probably never do it for myself. It's something you have to keep up with or it looks really bad when your roots grow out. I did see one lady in her 20's who I thought looked great. She had what looked like a Sailor Moon hairstyle and she had done her hair cotton candy colors. It was super cute.

• amicus
    3 years ago

Well I wouldn't do it myself, but if it was popular when I was in my early 20's I probably would have gone for it. My niece is an amazing colourist and often gets requests for 'rainbow' colour designs, especially for proms. It actually takes a lot of skill to choose which colours should be beside each other, the intensity of the shade and how to intertwine the blend of colours.

These are not her designs, just from Google, but you can see how there is an infinite number of ways to colour blend. Although I often love intense colours in other things, it's rare for me to like really vivid colour blends on someone's head, lol. I prefer the more pale pastel colours. I think number 35 is my favourite.

https://www.styleinterest.com/rainbow-hair-color/

• Vikki
    3 years ago

No not for me. I prefer to blend in rather than bring attention to myself. Lars I admire you and find you very interesting. I definitely think the way you look in the photo, you would stand out in a group.

• nickel_kg
    3 years ago

amicus, those are amazing!!! I love the more subtle colors blended into long dark hair, like #28. Never would have dreamed of the peek-a-boo coloring style -- so creative!

• donna_loomis
    3 years ago

Amicus, I especially like the photos of the women who have black hair. I like how the peacock blue/teal works with dark hair. Of course, mine is mousey brown and gray.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

" One does not need WHITE COLLAR managerial experience to understand that concept."

Does that mean you do or don't have such experience?

• kadefol
    3 years ago

I wouldn’t have the confidence to do it, but I admire those who do.

• liira55
    3 years ago

I had a customer in Safeway the other day, a young girl in her twenties. Her hair was buzzed on the sides, with the hair on the top of her head combed up to look like a roosters comb. The hair was dyed orange, red and yellow. My thought as she left was why did she want to look like a rooster, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

• PRO
    MDLN
    3 years ago

Would like to do something like this.

• bragu_DSM 5
    3 years ago

what a colorful, eye-opening thread ...

• wildchild2x2
    3 years ago

mdln The upper left head could be me. My hair is about that length and the same base color. I could actually see myself doing that one. It would be easy to grow out before you got tired of it. Something to think about for when we can go out to events again.

• joyfulguy
    3 years ago

Nearly shiny bald on top, so not a good candidate.

But usually shave the night before I'm to go out, shaved about March 11 and the lockdown started that weekend.

I, who've never grown a beard, thought it might be an interesting project, while saving on razor blade costs, to start growing a beard.

But I have a complaint. While there's still some dark brown mixed with the gray from ears up including back of head, the beard is dang near all white!

That could make many on this thread suggest that I'm a good candidate for colouring the beard ... but I have about one interest in one thousad (or maybe a hundred) in doing so, I think.

ole joyful

• artemis_ma
    3 years ago

I used a temporary henna that was vaguely maroon a couple times in the early - 90s. Not loud enough to call too much attention to it, but a fun experience.

Currently I am growing my hair out - last cut was March 11, and I've just decided to go with the COVID-flow.... when I feel that hair styling becomes an "essential service" for me, I will stick with a longer style, and have a split end trim or whatever else I want to do, keeping the style longer than I have in the last 15 years... I find that the two left photos on Mdln's post look fun and attractive. I'd like to consider either of those types of coloration. Tips would be great, and can always be trimmed off down the road should I wish.

From Amicus's link, I could see trying:11, 15, 23, or 32. I like the types that don't need to do the whole hair, and don't particularly require bleaching. (Tip bleaching for Mdln's top left suggestion is fine - again the harshness of the bleach is easily cut off if it damages my hair too much.)

I'm retired and not yet gray. I'd love to have some hair fun.

I'd actually consider dying my hair, strands of it, an unusual color, possibly a deep reddish purple, or a turquoise, at home. But I know I'd just end up staining the grout in the bathroom... nope.

• arkansas girl
    3 years ago

A lot of those beautiful dye jobs you see on the Internet are not real at all, they are just photoshop images of hair. If you look for it, you will realize that some of the photos are exactly the same with new colors put in. I had not thought about that until a hairdresser friend pointed this out to me. A lot of those images are unrealistic to expect when you go to the salon.

I don't begin to understand why someone would want Raggedy Ann red hair but apparently there are many who do because it's very popular here in NE Ohio. I saw a woman the other day that had green and yellow hair, her face was pieced up all over and had tattoos all over her that looked like some reptile scale design. To me, I got a really bad vibe almost like she was a Satan worshiper or something dark and disturbing. She was with a man that appeared to be a husband or boyfriend so he must have liked it too...whatever, it's not for me!

• User
    3 years ago

When the question of would you do this, or that, arises it is no wonder that folks would express opinions about it. That is inherent in the question. If all others were responding to was a simple yes or no, that would be more like a poll instead of a discussion starter. This is a discussion forum and not a poll. Therefore, others will reply with opinions and personal stories, as per a discussion.

No, I would not dye my hair colors like that and it certainly would not be conducive to being successful in most professional careers. I have no doubt that it would be considered to be an unprofessional look by most standards, it being but one of the standards that has to be given recognition when joining the professional world.

If that is not your concern, go for it. Who cares? Humans have ornamented their bodies with all manner of things over the eons of time that we have existed. Bodily ornamentation is an almost universal desire. We do it with many other things. Lipstick comes to mind. Who in the world was born with lips that are red like that? No one, that's who. Colored nails on our hands and holes in our ear lobes for metal objects we are. not born with , either. Then, of course there are tattoos and not to forget the ornamentation of jewels and clothing that we grace our figure with. Think high heels...............

Sometimes I find myself looking at an individual who has altered their hair coloring to a shade that you know they did not inherit, due to their obvious ethnicity. At first I did not accept it, but then I thought it through a bit more logically and realized that it is no different from anyone else changing the color of their hair. What is the difference? There is no difference.

But dying one's hair with colors not found in human hair in nature is different.

I will probably get young grandson some of this temporary dye for his hair as a holiday present. He wants to do that and I think he would have fun with it.

One thing about hair is that is just hair and for most people it will grow back or grow out. We did a lot of stupid things with our hair back in my days, too. If it gives you some colorful pleasure and you don't have to maintain a standard professional appearance, go for it.

I see that some have used it as a statement about themselves after having suffered through a life crisis. Power to them!

Life is short, enjoy some color!

Not my "thing", though.

• nickel_kg
    3 years ago

Many good points above. Bottom line, ornamentation of your person is a cultural thing, not a right vs wrong thing. Cultures change over time. As more vivid means of expression become easier for the masses to obtain and play around with, they're going to expand out into the general culture. Even into the most staid boardrooms and "white collar" professions. It's inevitable. Or we'd still be dressing like what, the founding fathers? Victorians? Romans? Moguls? Sumerians? how far back do we want to freeze personal taste?

• Michele
    3 years ago

I personally wouldn’t, but I don’t wear makeup or jewelry either. I’m very plain. My hair is starting to go grey, and I don’t have any plans to hide it.

I used to be more quick to judge about these things, and would have been critical.

As I go through this life, I realize that my quickness to judge, was something I was holding onto. As I’ve started using my own eyes and ears and experiences with people to come to my own conclusions, I really find that the old saying “you can’t judge a book by it’s cover” is true. To me anyway.

Still trying to learn.

• User
    3 years ago

mystical, what a great post! Who ever it is that you were/are hiring for must be a progressive company!

I would not, personally, consider someone who has pink hair and tattoos to be unworthy or not qualified. But, it you are one to adorn yourself in that manner you are going to have to face the fact that much of the world is going to interpret that in a negative manner.

I agree, I enjoy associating with those who can think outside the box.

I saw an article this week about an elementary school teacher in France, a guy, who had his face and most of his body completely tattooed. But, what was the most scary about him is that he had the white of his eyes dyed black. Indeed he is a scary looking dude. Did anyone else see that?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/28/europe/sylvain-helaine-tattoo-teaching-job-scli-intl/index.html

He seems to be a reasonable person when he was interviewed and he says that he loves teaching. So, why did he do this to himself? He says that he believes in judging by merit and not by external factors. Not a direct quote, but the essence. I can't help but feel that there is something wrong there.

This makes pink hair look like the innocent thing that it is.

I just cannot wrap my head around his logic.

He was banned from teaching any child under the age of six and I am amazed that he is allowed in any elementary classroom. I personally know children even a bit older that would be terrified of him.

He has no hair, but no doubt it would be shiny silver, maybe, or a fluorescent yellow with red tips?

Sure his mother has sleepless nights! She must be wringing her hands and bemoaning the fact that he did not just get a heart with "Mother" on it and dye his hair blue and call it quits on his strange motivation.

A person with hair dyed stripes of different colors would look like a circus clown next to him.

Circus clowns have a traditional brightly colored hair and it usually is standing up stiff and straight. You wonder where that image of the clown came from. That is a question that seems to be google worthy.

Clowns have very old origins that are deeply rooted in our fears and imaginations. Some origins are quite sinister, thus there are many children who are scared of clowns. Even very young children recognize when something is sinister.

I don't mean that pink or orange hair makes one sinister. But, you have to admit that it can make you look like a circus clown.

Still, I won't judge you by that. Really, To alter and ornament one's body in an extreme manner does, however invite speculation as to what lurks in their world view. it does not always indicate a positive aspect of their psyche.

Hair color and tattoos are both ornamentation. At least hair color grows out. That guy is young and going to have to look at himself like that for his entire life! horrors!!!

• olychick
    3 years ago

You can also buy clip on/in hair extensions that give the same effect;I think some of those beautiful pics in Amicus's link are clip on/ins.I think the first pic by mdln might also be clip on/in. Definitely an easy way to try out the look without the commitment.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

I saw the article when it first came out, and I wondered what it was that scared the kids so much. Then I read where he dyed his eye-balls. Yep that would do it!

I've heard of this fad a couple of years ago, then I forgot about it again. Nothing like damaging the most sensitive and important part of your body.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

Not for me, thank you. It reminds me of those Chinese websites that sell seeds for blue watermelons or rainbow colored strawberries or multicolored striped corn - it just looks unnatural and IMO, weird.

Would I hire anyone with rainbow colored hair? Depends on the job but for anything more than just menial labor, probably not. Same with those with highly visible tatts....or nose rings or tongue studs. It is unnecessarily distracting and diverts attention from the purpose at hand. I'd want my employees to standout for their abilities and knowledge, not for their personal appearance.

• jupidupi
    3 years ago

Elmer, because of your chosen screen name, I've always pictured you as being bald.

I'm lucky to have great hair and spent about 30 years as a hair model. I've has some pretty wild, high fashion cuts, including the beret cut that Cherryfizz mentioned. Some cuts were cute, some not so much, but what's the big deal -- they all grow out. Frankly, what seems sad to me is when I see an older woman who is still wearing her hair the way she did in high school, never, ever daring to try anything new.

• marilyn_c
    3 years ago

I wouldn't, but then most days I am doing good to wash and brush it.

• sleeperblues
    3 years ago

I did it for about 6 months. I would put purple or yellow in my short hair on the top as foils. It blended in and I thought it was cute, but it was wash out color and didn't last for more than 4 weeks. I tired of getting my hair dyed that frequently. I love the pictures that mdln posted, if I still had long hair I might consider. I'm 61, I could care less what anyone thinks of my fashion choices.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    3 years ago

Dallasannie, what an interesting article. Initially he is quite shocking and could be scary but we have to remember that today's kids have grown up with movies that show people like that as "normal". Avatar had people that were blue. Any movie with people of the future often look strange. So that becomes normal for young people to see and I think while a bit extreme, I applaud what he is trying to do - get people to see who he is rather than just what he looks like.

• MiMi
    3 years ago

Ha!.. guess my profile picture says it all....

• arkansas girl
    3 years ago

I cannot imagine why in the world that guy, Sylvain Helaine, would want to do that to himself. I be quite honest, he looks like what I would perceive a DEMON to look like. Very unnerving to say the least! I cannot imagine the dark thoughts that haunt his mind! YIKES!

• arcy_gw
    3 years ago

I would rather someone tell me I look beautiful than WOW your hair is_______. Same with my glasses..I don't want people to SEE them I want then to see ME. I am not put off by other's who like to experiment. I just do not get why.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    3 years ago

Mimi, that's a gorgeous color and a great haircut. You look wonderful.

• MiMi
    3 years ago

Thanks rhizo!

• ci_lantro
    3 years ago

Those extensions & clip-ins look like fun. I would do those in a heartbeat if I had hair long enough to pull it off. Temporary things like that aren't much different than adding ribbons to your hair or weaving some cords or yarn or some beads into a braid. Fun thing to do occasionally.

• Annegriet
    3 years ago

Maybe just the ends or extensions --pink-- for breast cancer or some other cause.

• User
    3 years ago

I think that with that French guy and his tatted body what is the most upsetting is the blacks of his eyes.

What an experience it must be to have the eyes black like that. I wonder how and what it felt like and how many regrets he suffers.

He did this, purposely, to himself and you have to question what his motives are. This is not about acceptance of people who have something different about them involuntarily. This guy did this to himself. If he is using his own life to make some social statement that should cause one to question his motives and sanity. . This is permanent and the social issue that he claims to be pressing will ebb and fade and just go right on, no matter that he has blackened his eyes.

This is not some social stance and not something that is benign. This is going to be with him the rest of his days. And, he will change and the world will change and he will have, in a way, have sacrificed his life to do this. How can anyone live a normal life like that? This is not just about cutting ones hair, shaving the head or wearing some emblem or flying some flag or anything like that. This goes way beyond that.

People will go beyond seeing him as benignly eccentric. He will be seen in the most negative ways. Who cares what kind of acceptance he thinks that he is supporting? Nothing could be worth doing this to yourself for the rest of your life. He is not going to change the world and it is not up to him to do so. If he really felt the need to promote acceptance, he could have done so in many other ways and been just as effective or ineffective.

This reflects something not entirely wholesome.

• Ladydi Zone 6A NW BC Canada
    3 years ago

Dallasanne, well said. How very sad.