SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scanner78

How to deaden noise in the house

Mary
3 years ago

We bought a 2 story 1979 ranch and with 3 boys running around the house, it's almost impossible to work from home or enjoy a movie in relative peace. Whether it's the sound of feet running down hallway on hardwoods (hardwoods throughout except for bedrooms with carpet) or the tv blaring in the tv room at the end of the hallway, I feel like I'm going crazy and it's actually phenomenal how much of an echo chamber the house is. Our main bedroom is right above the garage. I can totally hear a conversation happening down below in the garage, every word.

Financially, we're not able to demo ceilings and walls and effectively make a dent with the noise problem structurally.

We can:

-buy lots of cheap rugs. Hang up panels (canvas frames stuffed with moving blankets or foam).

-I got a deal on solid core doors so we're switching out all the hollow bedroom doors.

-One of my husband's clients is an insulation company so we can get a discount - is it worth it to have cellulose insulation blown in all the walls/in between batts and up in the ceiling? Just load up every nook and cranny.

Or are we just SOL. So hard to work in our house right now. :(

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting