SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Seeking gift ideas for a very hip grandmother

IdaClaire
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My mum, who is in her 80s, has a birthday coming up. We are extremely close, but I'll be honest: I've run out of ideas for gifts, and this year seems especially difficult, what with the pandemic going on and all. Our in-person visits have been brief and socially distanced, and getting together to partake of a meal or her beloved afternoon tea is not an option for us at this point. I always get her "a little something" in the neighborhood of around $50, and would like to continue that tradition. Last year I gave her an Etsy gift certificate, which she used to purchase funky scarves to wear as hair accessories. While her mobility has slowed, she is incredibly vibrant and engaged. She is a left-leaning bohemian spirit with a touch of edginess to her attitude and insights, and that carries over into her fashion style as well. Thing is, though, she doesn't actually "need" another article of clothing or piece of jewelry or anything like that -- although I know she still does LIKE those things. During the pandemic she's spent a lot of time streaming series that she hasn't seen before, particularly if they are produced in England. She adores reading.

The only thing I'm coming up with is yet another gift card, enabling her to buy exactly what she wants, when she wants it. That just seems so impersonal for a woman to whom I am so incredibly close though.

Any unique ideas, keeping pandemic limitations in mind?

Comments (37)