SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Need ideas for a cheap yet hip top for an old desk

lkplatow
16 years ago

We're in the process of converting our guest room to an office/craft room/guest room. We've ditched the bedroom furniture and bought a sofa bed. We were planning to use a ginormous drafting table I scored for free off craigslist as a combination desk/craft table - the table would be used for me for sewing and art projects and by my husband who works from home with his laptop one day a week and needs a quiet place to go without our kids underfoot.

So anyhow, we set up the drafting table but it's WAY too big - the top measures about 4' x 6' and it just dominates the room. The base of the table is very cool - sort of 1940s industrial oak - and measures much smaller than the table top. So my brilliant idea was to remove the drafting table top and make or buy a top that fits the base better. (I don't want to cut down the drafting table top because it's vintage and if I ever wanted to use it as a drafting table, I'd like to have the original top.)

This will work wonderfully - the base measures about 33" x 72", so I'm saving a significant bit of depth. But I have no clue what to use for a tabletop. There's actually a fiberboard top on it now that simply rests on and covers the drawers - it looks solid but is kind of flimsy for working on. I was thinking that perhaps I could cover this with some cool paper and place a piece of glass or plexiglass on top. I have no idea what plexiglass or glass tabletops cost, but I'm guessing they aren't cheap. Another option would be to use Ikea's Numerar oak butcher block countertop, but for the size I'd need it's $195. I was hoping for way cheaper - like close to $50. So short of buying a piece of plywood at the Evil Orange and slapping it on, any other suggestions?

I don't have a picture, but this ebay auction shows the exact table I have - my top is much deeper and extends about a foot past the one shown in the picture.

Thanks so much!

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County