SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasdip1

I just love some people's accents

Jasdip
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My work entails talking to a lot of people. I often comment on how delightful it was hearing their accent.

I think it's the UK accent where the "r" isn't pronounced in 'four'. It's spoken more like 'fo'. I love it.

Another one was a gentleman who had the same pronunciation, it sounded more like Guyanese or something similar to my ears, and I do not have an ear for accents/geography, so this is strictly an uneducated guess.

Australian is the sexiest accent, and a gentleman said that AU and UK are often mistaken for one another.

Is anyone here from the UK?

Comments (47)

• Lindsey_CA
    3 years ago

I love an Australian accent, too. There's a great video on Twitter now of an Australian woman interviewing Sarah Huckabee Sanders.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

jasdip, the "Boston" accent, the range of which I can't speak to, has many characteristics but one is to drop an "r" where it belongs and sometimes put them in where they don't belong. This is been traced to areas of England, a source of migrants to the area, where such pronunciation habits are also used.

Car park becomes ceh pack, in a nasal way.

Wanda can sound like wander. Other eastern accents do this too.

• Related Discussions

Some People Just Don't Get It!!

Q

Comments (20)
    I'm curious on this note how many of you have downsized your lawns since owning your property. Our place used to be all yard. There really was nothing else. When he became homeowners and started taking care of the yard the landscaping also began! We have probably cut our lawn down by half to make way for plants that (predominantly) provide either food or habitat for critters instead. My parents think I'm insane. After growing up in the suburbs of Eastern Washington where a well-groomed lawn is all defining I'm sure my poor folks are wondering where they went wrong with me. Personally I prefer the company of butterflies and frogs to a picture perfect lawn any day. Kate
    ...See More

Some people drink... I buy plants.

Q

Comments (38)
    Well, Toni, it's actually my father who has terminal oral cancer (diagnosed almost two months ago) and is talking about cancer treatment (oral and lymph node surgery, facial reconstruction, radiation, etc.). I don't feel it's appropriate to talk too much about for possible legal reasons, but like I've said...cancer is a horrid situation regardless of who in the family it is and what type of person he/she is, and it's a unique situation here, where the person diagnosed is rather hateful, and fairly broke. My dad's an ornery old coot, and always has been, and is of the opinion that a wife has no claim to anything financial if the husband has provided the income. His personality is impossible to describe. It's like, if you'd been with someone for thirty years, who has verbally abused you, quietly racked up credit card bills, never let you see a bill in that time and refused to give you any account information, and isn't quite all there mentally due to several strokes...and then after he's cut all insurance coverage, suddenly he has cancer and, with treatment, might live an extra year or two, you'd be caring for him, and you'd likely about go bankrupt in the process. It's very hard and very scary for my mom. Normally such things would be a family decision and with some consideration for the spouse, and with some more logic about the expense and the chances of survival. He's a mean old brute--an absolutely terrified one, yes, but still how he is. He's dying and not taking it well. You mentioned mood changes with cancer treatment...God, can't even imagine with him!! haha. I know families go through the expense and hardships of cancer treatment all the time. It's just, sigh, a weird household. I've certainly learned, know who you're marrying before you marry. And if this all progresses, we'll seek help. You're makin' me want to run out and buy some plants. ;) Such good news about your job, CG! I'm so happy to hear.
    ...See More

I just cannot believe some people- SO NICE!!!

Q

Comments (12)
    I assume he is "older" and he only has a sister. How much money can he possibly need? It must be such a great feeling for him to give this money to people in need. I always said if I came in to a large sum of money that is exactly what I would do. Giving is the greatest pleasure! Donna
    ...See More

Some People Should Just Not Have A Dog

Q

Comments (3)
    Was just thinking about this, because I asked a friend if she and her dog wanted to come with me to the cemetary where I take my dog (don't laugh - it's fenced and almost always deserted). She was unsure, though, because she doesn't know whether her dog will come when she calls. She has a large fenced yard, and takes her dog for walks on a leash, so she hasn't ever really needed to call her. Will talk to her about this - maybe we can work on it together (I'm working on it, but I have to admit that my puppy certainly could use the extra practice. She comes when I call her, but her response time leaves a lot to be desired!)
    ...See More
  • Jasdip
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The accent that I'm referring to is nothing like the Boston one, Elmer. It's quite soft, just a fo instead of four. Very lovely indeed.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

There are many regional accents in England as well as class-related accents, both of upper and lower varieties.

• jupidupi
    3 years ago

Elmer, you reminded me of when I first moved to NY and had a friend from Queens. She was always talking about her daughter, Vanesser. I thought it was such an unusual name until I saw it written -- Vanessa. I've also noticed that some of my relatives in New Orleans sound like they're from Brooklyn. I was told it's because both cities have a large population of Italian descent and that influences the accent.

• Elizabeth
    3 years ago

I lived in the NYC area for decades. Even though I am now in the mid-west, I still lose my R's. I hear myself say dresser "draw" instead of drawer.

There is a harsher speech here but it's not Fargo either.

• Ded tired
    3 years ago

If you want to hear some great Bahston accents, watch This Old House. Roger the landscaper has a delightful Boston accent. Not sure he’s still on the show. Norm, Tom and Rich all speak Bostonian, too.

• orchidrain
    3 years ago

I love accents too, especially UK. Actually, I love everything about the UK. A psychic once told me that I lived in England in a previous lifetime. As far as myself, I thought I had a speech impediment while growing up in CT, just outside of New York. My "r's" were non-existent and still are many times. People still comment on how I say certain words.

Elizabeth....I say drawer the same way. My husband is always telling me that tomata is not the right way to say that word either.

• Elizabeth
    3 years ago

Tomata? That's not right? :-)

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

Commonly heard in an English working class accent -

Sometimes the th sound is replaced with an f

So with becomes wif.

• KennsWoods
    3 years ago

Pahk the cah in Hahvahd yahd.

I was born and raised in CT, lived in TN the past 35 years. While working in a school over summer break and walking in the hall talking to coworkers, a teacher yelled out in a thick southern drawl "kunetikut". I stuck my head in the classroom and she told me her husband was from CT and that I had the same accent as he did. I laughed and told her I wasn't the one with the accent.

Anyone remember President Kennedy and 'Cuber' ?

As a kid I heard a lot of accents, particularly 'old country' Italian, also lots of others. When I told my dad they were hard to understand, he told me I had to listen fast...

I now live in central FL, and there are a multitude of accents, unlike where I lived in TN, where most were variations of 'southern'. I reminds me of my childhood, in a very good way.

• bpath
    3 years ago

My DMIL is a Yorkshire lass. She moved south after the war, worked for the headmaster at Eton. She changed her accent in a hurry! She moved to Canada. Now her English friends back home tell her “oh, no, you have that horrible North American accent!” But I think she has a lovely, soft, English accent. I can’t place all the regional and class accents of the Brithish, so what do I know?

I do a daily cryptic crossword that happens to be English, and besides the -re/-er spellings, and cricket terms, I have to remember that the homophones account for the absence of the /r/

• grapefruit1_ar
    3 years ago

This is a great thread. My DH is from Pittsburgh. Their accent is quite easy to detect as many of you likely know. When they are talking about something being “ for sale” they instead say that it is “ for sell”. Their favorite football team is the “ Stillers” .

Our DD currently lives in London. I have always loved visiting London ( long before she moved there) and so enjoy listening to the accent. They somehow swallow the middle of a word making it tricky to understand. “ Bottom” becomes “ bah um”. Asking for directions is a hoot because DH never has any idea what they said.

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Grapefruit, I enjoy watching British shows, and yes, they often leave out the t's in the middle of words. Bu-er instead of butter.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    3 years ago

My husband is from Massachusetts - south of Boston. His father was a builder and he worked for his dad summers when he was out of school. He always thought it was a "shot" circuit (short circuit) and a "draw" (drawer). I'm from Ohio and when I go home (after living in New England for over 40 years) I'm accused of the accent. And when I come back, people comment on my "R"'s.

• bpath
    3 years ago

When I was a kid, everyone of my grandparents generation in my family and beyond, were immigrants, and all had accents. So, my child’s logic told me that when you get old, you get grey hair, wrinkly skin, slower gait, and don’t speak as well.

• Ninapearl
    3 years ago

i have my WAZE navigation app on my phone set to the australian guy. he hasn't gotten me lost yet!! :D

• donna_loomis
    3 years ago

I've noticed that some citizens of the UK add an "R" between words if the first ends in a vowel and the second begins with a vowel. Not sure which word the r is attached to though. Example: bananer and pear, or banana rand pear.

• jemdandy
    3 years ago

Chicagoan's have a neutral midwest accent, but the words they use are unique. For example, they say bye bye for goodby. I picked up that habit when I attended the University of Illinois at Champaign, IL. A large number of students in that University are from Chicago.

Other accents are present on that campus. Another standout is New York. Surprisingly, there exists a goodly number Jewish students from New York City. I asked a Jewish student in my Dorm why he was here instead of somewhere closer to home. He said it was simple. There are many more students in New York wishing to attend college than there are spaces in their city colleges, so parents look to the Midwest where it is not as crowded. The U of I happens to have large body of Jewish students, it offers studies they desire, its a good school, out-of-state tuition is reasonable, and most of all, it is located is a rural area away from large cities where there isn't much mischief to lead their young ones astray. If you get on your bicycle, leave campus and ride for a couple of miles to get out of town, you will be surrounded by corn, soybean, and hay fields and University plots and orchards; You turn around and go back to campus.

• colleenoz
    3 years ago

Yes, the interpolated “r” drives me crazy as while I normally speak with an Australian accent, my natural accent is mid-western US, so I don’t add the “r”. In Catholic school the expression “hallelujahrin the highest“ just grated on my nerves.

The glottal stop replacing the “tt” in words like “bo—om” and replacing “th” with either “f” or “v” depending on the word are typical of the Cockney/East End (working class area) accent.

What most people think of as an English accent is referred to in England as “RP” or Received Pronunciation”, which is essentially the accent they learned at Oxford University if they didn’t speak like that already. Until fairly recently you couldn’t get a speaking job on the BBC unless you had an RP accent.

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Colleen, the first thing hubby and I did was set the portable GPS to a female Australian. So, thank you! :-)

• colleenoz
    3 years ago

There are actually different Australian accents, believe it or not. The one you’re hearing is probably the one we’d call an “educated” Australian accent. The New Zealand accent is similar, with some slightly different vowels (which we tease them about)”. It’s because of the different mix of early settlers- more Scots in NZ, more Cockneys in OZ.

But in some more working class areas and further out in the country, the accent becomes very strident and can be quite unpleasant and difficult to understand for non-Australians. Eg The long “I“ as in “strident“ becomes “oi“, so “stroident” with a grinding emphasis on “stroi”.

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ah, much like Paul Hogan in Crocodile Dundee!

• jupidupi
    3 years ago

I love Spanish accents, Asian accents and Slovak accents. French and British accents never really did anything for me. Except for Liverpool accents because, you know, The Beatles.

• colleenoz
    3 years ago

Yes, Jasdip! Back in the 60s a humour writer brought out a book called “Let Stalk Strine”, which means “Let’s Talk Australian“ which “translated“ words which are mangled by the more strident accent.

• User
    3 years ago

Fun story, I have a deep south accent and was waiting at the gate of an airport. Two ladies (turns out they were sisters) came and sat next to me asking if boarding started. When I told them it had, they asked if they could sit with me on the plane to listen to my accent. They were from California and loved my soft southern accent. We had a wonderful time on the flight.

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Great story, Raye!

I talk to people on the phone, and at the end I always thank them for their time and their input. I also often comment how much I enjoyed listening to their accent. That always brings a laugh. I try not to say it too much anymore though, as I don't want to get reprimanded for being 'unprofessional' and just thank them for their time. I've sometimes been told them I'm too friendly :-)

• Louiseab
    3 years ago

I once worked with a girl who was from the States. Where I can’t remember. She asked me for a pin one day. I told her I didn’t have one. She looked at me funny. Another girl had to tell me that she was asking for a pen. Even when we pointed it out to her it still came out pin even though she thought it came out as pen. My dear MIL was from Belfast. Even after 60 years here she still had a thick accent even though she would say she talked “good Canadian”.😀. One day she called in to the radio and won a contest. A few minutes later she heard a recording of her voice. She was shocked! She said “I sound like a fisherman’s wife or our Nellie ( her sister back in Ireland)

• bpath
    3 years ago

Louise, when I first arrived in Texas from up North I noticed people said “pin” for “pen”, but they often said “ink pin” (ink pen) so that helped a lot!

• Lars
    3 years ago

I find Australian and English accents comical, which is entertaining, but never sexy.

I find this more comical than sexy, but others may disagree.

I like a Bronx accent from a New York Italian. That's what I find sexy. I also like some accents from the American South.

• User
    3 years ago

I've seen some commercials for a show called "Maine Cabin something" and can't understand a word their saying, neither can my hubby. I've traveled and had plenty of friends from other countries and had no problem understanding people with foreign accents.

• Bevthebrit
    3 years ago

🙋 been here 32 years from across the pond. Still get asked where I am from.

• Sammy
    3 years ago

She asked me for a pin one day. I told her I didn’t have one. She looked at me funny. Another girl had to tell me that she was asking for a pen.

The exact same thing happened to me, Louiseab, when I first moved to the South from the North. And it was in a freshman English composition class, of all places.🙄

...when I first arrived in Texas from up North I noticed people said “pin” for “pen”, but they often said “ink pin” (ink pen) so that helped a lot!

Ha! Yep, this is true, bpath. Perhaps we should let them in on a little secret: If you pronounce “pen” correctly, you can omit the “ink” part.😉

• colleenoz
    3 years ago

But Sammy, the thing is, what’s “correctly” in one accent is not always “correctly“ in another.

• colleenoz
    3 years ago

Jasdip, you should look on YouTube for videos of an Australian sportsman nicknamed “The Honey Badger”. He’s a hoot and uses a lot of very Australian turns of phrase.

• whistle_b
    3 years ago

I'm from Virginia. I don't hear the difference in pin/pen or windy/Wendy.

Everyone has an accent!

• bpath
    3 years ago

We‘re rewatching Flight of the Conchords and I still hear “Brit” instead of “Bret”. Love this show.

Edit to add, we haven’t watched it in a few years. That was Sutton Foster in season 1 episode 2!

• Louiseab
    3 years ago

Another one I remember was when I was working as a dispatcher for public works in the town we used to live in. One day, one of the supervisors called in on the radio. He had a thick Scottish accent. He asked me to get him a mop. Huh? I kept asking him where he wanted it. He had to repeat himself and I still didn’t understand what he wanted me to do. It was very uncomfortable. He was getting irritated. Finally, one of the Other supervisors explained that what he wanted was a city map.

• blubird
    3 years ago

Funny story. We had a contractor, originally from Greece, do several jobs on our former house. (I’m pretty good with various accents. In college, more than one of my classes were conducted by people whose English was quite limited and I was the one who shared my notes with the rest of the class.)

So, one day when he was replacing the roof with his crew, he rang my doorbell. He was asking for something, but I couldn’t understand him. Figuring it was a request for some sort of tool, I called my husband over. Finally, I figured out he was asking for a onion! “An onion?“ I asked. “Yes,” he replied, “we got pizza for lunch and we wanted onion on our pizza.”

• User
    3 years ago

I’m with Lars on the English and Australian accents. That Buff Man video nearly had me in tears:)

As far as English accents go, I come from Norfolk, which imo has the worst regional accent in the U.K. There are some I quite like ie from Newcastle (Geordie) and maybe Bristol which has a nice sing songy softness to it, but generally I’m not a big fan of any of them.

French or Italian all day long for me.

• colleenoz
    3 years ago

I thought the Norfolk accent was totally understandable, maddie. But my mother used to have a Geordie neighbour who I really had to focus on to understand. Mom used to think he was a Cockney for whatever bizarre reason, but finally I asked Geoff where he was from. “Newcastle,” he announced. I knew.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

I usually don't have problems understanding people with accents but Indian accents are all over the place and some of them I can't understand at all. I think it may be the area in India they are from and the dialect they spoke. I find the ones who constantly put the emphasis on the wrong syllable of words to be the worst.

I worked with a contract programmer from the Ukraine for a short time and I couldn't understand her English at all either. Not sure she could understand me any better as she didn't follow my instructions very well. Had to let her go after a few months.

• nickel_kg
    3 years ago

I hear more and more young people talking with the glottal stop thing -- "boh um" for bottom, "moun un" for mountain, etc. I'm no where near London/Cockneys so where is it coming from? Is there a new pop culture persona who talks like that?

One local-ish pronunciation I don't care for is "air" for "are". "How air you?" I should ask the next person who says that, 'what does a pirate say, "ARRRRGH" or "AIRRRR"? I can't think of any other accent that bothers me, although some are more pleasant or understandable than others.

• User
    3 years ago

Coming from the understandable aspect colleenez, I agree there are other U.K. accents that are much harder to understand than a Norfolk one. It’s more the overall sound of it I don’t like. It’s often depicted as someone who’s not too bright, and a bit of a rough n ready country bumpkin.

In the video the question about Norfolk sayings wasn’t answered but it made me think if any came to my mind. I immediately thought of one my Nan used to say a lot, which was ‘Loada squit’. This was her response to anything she didn’t agree with.

Another was ’You’ll get a ding round the lug‘ which was a jovial (never inflicted) threat of getting a clip round the ear if I was misbehaving.

• Lars
    3 years ago

More British accents

Sexy?

• User
    3 years ago

Get me a fan Lars!

Here’s a few more, with a bit on our lovely Aussie friends, and a mention on Sth Africa.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022