SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindac_gw

I feel so sorry for some people....

lindac
14 years ago

Those who for one reason or another don't eat BLT's....

Food for the gods.....ambrosia...

Toasted white bread, lots of mayo, lettuce, several leaves, warm crisp hickory smoked bacon.....and several slices of fresh garden tomatoes!

My son would never eat one.....doesn't like tomatoes. I have another friend who won't eat mayo and of course my Jewish friends who don't eat bacon.

Have you had your BLT today??

I did!!

Linda C

Comments (39)

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

"It's what's for dinner!!!"

Oh yeah! 'Cept we're having ours on great big, toasted, whole wheat hamburger buns! Holds more "stuff"

And a couple of Chase's Dill Pickles on the side.

Did ya have corn on the cob with that??? :)

Deanna

• goldgirl
    14 years ago

No, but I had the next-best thing: a salad of sliced Jersey tomatoes, thinly sliced onions, Gorgonzola cheese and Balsamic vinegar dressing.

Heading to the grocery store tomorrow, better add BLT ingredients to the list!!

• Related Discussions

WANTED: Catnip and motherwort! I am so sorry! People please rea

Q

Comments (0)
    My dad tore up the motherwort plants from the garden! I'm so sorry, I came home from class today and they were all broken up on the ground. I'm going refund postage, unless it was for the catnip (if you're still interested) and I'm going to respond to every email but if you don't hear from me, please go message me through here: https://auth.gardenweb.com/members/ms_minnamouse
    ...See More

I feel so sorry for him.

Q

Comments (6)
    Leone, I think that Jim, Mwheel and West_gardener all have excellent ideas. You might suggest to SIL to perhaps get George to talking about wood choices, power tool attachments, good finishing techniques, etc. That would give George a chance to share a lot of his knowledge with SIL, even though I imagine SIL is very knowledgeable about power tools. SIL might could get George to record it so he could work on it even when SIL was not around. Hugs to all 3 of you - yep, that includes that Crazy Cat.
    ...See More

I just cannot believe some people- SO NICE!!!

Q

Comments (12)
    I assume he is "older" and he only has a sister. How much money can he possibly need? It must be such a great feeling for him to give this money to people in need. I always said if I came in to a large sum of money that is exactly what I would do. Giving is the greatest pleasure! Donna
    ...See More

I feel sorry for Maria Shriver and family

Q

Comments (26)
    socks - that's what I've been wondering. Maria and her children have my full sympathy but Arnold is not the most subtle man around. The local news played a video of Arnold and a beautiful young woman who were being interviewed. The way he reached over and patted her upper thigh made me cringe- yet he did it several more times while being filmed. During his election campaign there were several reports of his behavior but he seemed to be able to 'charm' the criticism away with the support of his wife. I think his 'womanizing' is second nature to him and I doubt that he'd be able to totally conceal it from someone who is as sharp as Maria. With her political background I almost wonder if she decided to keep quiet until Arnold's term was over. It's a terrible situation and I hope she and her children are able to handle it.
    ...See More
  • gardenguru1950
    14 years ago

Here's one of my favorites that most people can't grasp right away:

Toast, peanut butter, thick bacon and a thick slice of really ripe tomato with a pinch of salt.

Great breakfast that sticks to your ribs. And thigh bones, and ankles and vertebrae and...

Joe

• User
    14 years ago

LOL Joe!

Deanna, how are the pickles?

Linda, it ain't perfect unless the bacon is a thick slab of Canadian peameal bacon.......BTS ;)

• angelaid
    14 years ago

Now I MUST have a BLT. I have everything but the "B"

lol

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

It's our go-to meal when tomatoes are in season and we want something fast. DH occasionally eats them for breakfast.

Actually I pack a microwave bacon cooker so we can have BLTs when we stay in kitchenette type hotels. I forgot to pack one two weeks ago when we were at the National Championship for a week so I went to Goodwill and sure enough I found one for $2.

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

Make mine on homemade bread, lightly toasted with good old Dukes mayo and I'll be happy! A BLT is my all-time favorite sandwich, but especially when you can get good vine-ripe tomatoes. Heck...I could even eat one in the middle of winter using really ripe Roma tomatoes.

Is there anyone else eating up all the tomato at one sitting? I try to pick out the smaller ones even when someone is giving them away so I won't have part of a tomato sitting all by its lonesome in a bowl in the fridge.

toma-totally yours,
    Teresa

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    14 years ago

Here's a variation on Joe's sandwich:

toast
    crunchy peanut butter
    bacon
    sliced apples

seagrass (who can't find a decent ripe tomato anywhere)

• sheshebop
    14 years ago

Had them 2 days last week. I, however, do not like them toasted. I want the nasty soft grocery store bread. I like good homemade firm bread for everything except BLT's and peanut butter sandwiches. I want the grocery store "sponges" for those. Hee hee.
    AND, although I do not use it on anything else at all, I do prefer Miracle Whip on my BLT's.

• shellm
    14 years ago

My favorite sandwich,especially w/avocados.

Shelley

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Sherry, We are BLT sisters! I like untoasted white bread and MW! I don't know what that's all about; maybe it's a throw back to childhood.

• User
    14 years ago

I'm there with you Cathy and Sherry, except I don't want any bacon or lettuce if it's on good white squishy bread.

Just white bread, MW, tomatoes warm from the field, salt and pepper.

Another summer fav is cucumbers, white squishy bread and MW...hold the lettuce!

• Terri_PacNW
    14 years ago

My husband always uses Mircle Whip...unless it's a BLT..LOL

I prefer sourdough bread, untoasted with our without mayo, lots of fresh cracked black pepper and home grown lettuce.

I haven't had one in some time..since I don't eat much bread.

• Gina_W
    14 years ago

There's turkey bacon!

• Nancy
    14 years ago

I only eat BLTs in the summer when there are REAL tomatoes. Like sheshebop, I want untoasted ultra soft store bought bread, but I like hellmanns mayo. Problem is, I think our local stores hold their bread back til it is a few days old, no such thing as soft bread. While I like homemade bread, I want store bought soft!

• loagiehoagie
    14 years ago

The homegrown heirloom tomatoes are coming in like gangbusters now! I had a few BLT's earlier in the season but have tried to be a bit healthier lately with salads and breakfast burritos made with egg, fresh peppers, cheese and the tomatoes of course. Tonight is taco's with garden produce. Love this time of year. Got to get more bacon though. Got to have a few more BLT's before the tomatoes are gone.

Duane

• minette99
    14 years ago

Oh funny story!!!

I was driving home Saturday from a long business trip. The drive should have been 2.5 hours and it turned into 5 hours from traffic. I was tired, hot, upset and just wanted to get home and eat something good... comfort food! I thought of a BLT -- with cheese and thought I'd stop somewhere and pick it up on the way home as I was closer to home...

Anyway, I saw a Diner and stopped. Went inside, hot and miserable. The very Greek man came over to me with a menu and in his thick Greek accent asked me if I was sitting or taking something out. I said hello in Greek (my dad was Greek) and asked for a BLT with cheese to go. The man burst into a smile and asked, "Are you Greek?" I smiled and told him my dad was. He gave me a cold soda as I waited. Finally my order came out and the bag was really heavy. I looked in the bag and there were TWO BLTs... I told the man and he said, "It's OK.. special for you!"

When I got home and ripped the bag open, I was in heaven as I chowed down on my BLT with a pile of cole slaw and pickle on the side. I fell aslepp for five hours, woke up late at night and grabbed the second BLT out of the fridge and oh man, I was so happy I had another waiting for me!!!

i LOVE BLTs and Greek Diners!!!

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

What a great story! We salute such a diner and nice man that would go the extra BLT for you! Wish we had a Greek diner here. We've got lots of Greek restaurant owners, but mostly hamburger and hot dog places. I have to drive 30 minutes to get my Greek fix. I LOVE GREEK FOOD!

• lorijean44
    14 years ago

I'm in NY - DD's 2nd baby is due this week. My Mom made BLT's for dinner tonight. Perfect summer fare. She served them with freshly-picked-today corn on the cob. I haven't had corn that good in a long, long time. The BLT's were on lightly toasted bread, REAL mayo, thick slices of juicy tomatoes, crisp lettuce, and perfectly cooked bacon. That's got to be one of my favorite summer meals!

Lori

• cinlo
    14 years ago

Oooh, yes! I'm in the camp of store bought white bread with mayo and a tomato fresh (and warm) right out of the garden. One thing I'll never forget about DH. He couldn't get over my parents slicing and serving "hot" tomatoes at Sunday dinners. My dad would just go out on a typically hot July or August day in Tennessee and pick a few to have with our traditional Sunday dinner. DH was used to having them chilled. I think they have a much better flavor when they're freshly picked or at least room temperature.

• noinwi
    14 years ago

Had BLTs last night for dinner with our first ripe Brandywine and Black Krim tomatoes(couldn't decide which was better, so we used both!). Even one good BLT makes all the trouble, frustration, and obsession of growing tomatoes worth it.

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............
    It was delicious!

I like the avocado idea! Does that make it a BLAT or BALT? Or..A BLT?

Joe, I'd be willing to give your sandwich a try!! Not everyone likes my favorite, but (shrug)...I do! It's toasted wheat bread, chunky peanut butter, real butter, and dill pickles (see below, Chase's - aka Sharon's Dills). It's been a favorite since childhood, I don't know why or how I ever got started on it (grandma, maybe...).

Sharon the dill pickles are fabulous........as usual! :)
    I'm finishing up the last couple of jars from last year. Still crisp and crunchy!
    I searched for years for "THE" dill pickle recipe.
    Well, yours is IT! I make quicky refrigerator types with whatever veggies and brine, but yours are the ones that have to made for the year!!! Those and LindaLou's sweet Chunks.
    Thanks again for a great recipe!!

Deanna

• daylilydayzed
    14 years ago

I love BLTS. This weekend we will go to the flea market and get some ripe tomatoes and have BLTS. I like mine on toasted bread spread with very small amount of mayo and mustard, romaine lettuce and at least two slices of tomatoes along with the bacon.

• jude31
    14 years ago

So, I didn't read this until I was headed for bed last night, early but I had a busy day and I'll say my mouth was watering. Canned Annie's Salsa Mon and Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup yesterday, but still had enough tomatoes to go with the green beans, corn, mashed potatoes and corn muffins for dinner, as well as bacon, scrambled eggs, toast and sliced tomatoes for breakfast. Living high on the hog in the summer in the south. Oh BTW it's Hellman's for me on the BLT.
    jude

• Fori
    14 years ago

I am not happy with you bringing this up, Linda. We have wonderful garden tomatoes but no way to cook bacon because the kitchen is being renovated. I'll cook a lot of things in my living room kitchen, but not bacon!

Now I'm sad and feeling all left out.

• dedtired
    14 years ago

I am a card carrying member of the I Lobe BLTs Club.

Actually, I don't use L, only B and T on toasted white bread with Hellmann's Mayo. I love when the tomato juice and the mayo run together. I think I ate a pound of bacon in about ten days.

Fori, buy an extension cord and cook the bacon outside in the microwave.

I also love fresh tomatoes with fresh mozzarella and basil. Sadly we are not having a great tomato season, but there are enough around to keep me happy.

Oh yeah -- a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich. Also tuna salad on toasted dark bread with a big hunk of tomato.

I feel sorry for my friend who is allergic to tomatoes and a whole lot of other good stuff. Thank heavens I am the sturdy sort who can pretty eat anything -- although I am picky about things.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

fori, can't you take an electric skillet or griddle or George Foreman or SOMETHING outside with an extension cord and cook bacon? I'd have to find a way, LOL. Even in the microwave!!

I'm with Chase, my favorite is just a homegrown tomato, warm from the garden, white bread, Miracle Whip and salt and pepper. Hold the bacon and don't toaste the bread. I just picked the first half dozen tomatoes from the garden too, a mix of Lemon Boy and Rutgers.

funny, though, add lettuce and bacon and the bread has to be toasted....

My second favorite is peanut butter and Miracle Whip, LOL. A very scarce treat, but once in a while my fat content in my blood drops and I just gotta....

Annie

• Fori
    14 years ago

I could grill it couldn't I? Hmmmmmmm

• lindac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

fori.....they make precooked bacon....expensive but good,

• Fori
    14 years ago

Enabler!

:)

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

For those who weren't already tempted........
    Here's what we ate last night:
    Whole wheat bun, fresh red oak leaf lettuce from the garden
    thick bacon slices from our local meat processor, and sun-ripened tomatoes from a friend's garden with homemade dill pickles. Yes, on paper plates. That's part of the joy...No dishes!
    It just doesn't get any better than this!

Deanna (off setting the bacon with fat free MW...sorry...)

• Gina_W
    14 years ago

You can microwave the bacon!

• User
    14 years ago

You can grill the bacon !

• lakeguy35
    14 years ago

I've lost count this year! Another that likes this one with MW. PB&J and Bologna are my faves on the soft store bought bread. Looks like I might get a good fall crop from my plants as they have set a lot of new toms. The first harvest was horrible thanks to the weather.

David

• sally2_gw
    14 years ago

I just don't do MW. Can't stand it. Sorry. Nor the store bought white bread. But home made white bread, I'll sneak that by sometimes. DH is a whole wheat snob, but he loves my white flour ciabatta that I make - I don't think he notices it's white flour, just that it's good.

I do my own version of BLT's. Basil, lettuce and tomato, with cheese. Earlier this summer when I had and abundance of good tomatoes off my vines (now, sadly, the leaf footed bugs have ruined them) and lots of basil, I made myself some basil, lettuce and tomato sandwiches with some good cheese. Any kind of good cheese, probably a good Vermont sharp white cheddar or a good pepper jack, I don't remember which kind, but it didn't matter, because the basil and tomatoes were so good! And I used mayo and stone ground mustard. On home made bread. Mmmmmmm. That was only a few weeks ago, but it seems so long ago I had good tomatoes.

Deanna, I'm jealous that you can have lettuce in your garden this time of year. I can only grow it when it's cool.

Sally

• mst___
    14 years ago

Ok, After reading all these posts, I've decided to make BLT's tomorrow night. They're great on a hot summer night.

• jessicavanderhoff
    14 years ago

I always feel wrong doing it, but microwave bacon really isn't bad. I think it's because it's so greasy it sort of fries itself in its own grease.

That BLT looks soooo good. I'm gonna have to make one.

• KatieC
    14 years ago

ohgeez, I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread. I have a handful of cherry tomatoes....waiting for the big ones (well, big is relative with a short growing season). I do have some Green Zebras turning the right shade of green.

noinwi, we planted a few Black Krim this year. I have high hopes....they look great. Just not ready.

BLATs...ohgod this is torture.....

• azzalea
    14 years ago

Just made a BLT for dinner tonight.

Fresh cherry tomatoes from my garden, hickory smoked bacon from the Amish Market, Lettuce, Hellman's on Cheddar Cheese toast, all topped off with my 'must have' ingredient on a BLT--caramelized onion (I used a Vidalia). YUM! What a treat! And I have enough of everything left over to make them for DH tomorrow, if he gets here in time for lunch.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville