SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_445170271

Home insurance claim and Sabotage

HU-445170271
3 years ago

Hi! I had a pipe burst 3 weeks ago and having a difficult time getting things moving. We had issues with the water/mold mitigation company from the start. This is my first home insurance claim so I didn’t really know what to expect but things took a turn for the worst this week. I don’t want to make this too long so key info:

9/5

Leak found and fixed. Initial contact with water mitigation company.

9/9

Mold remediation started. Guys came out for 2 hours, left for lunch and didn’t return.

9/10

Decent amount of work completed (4 hours)

9/11

Came out for 2 hours asked if we were having trouble getting into kitchen because the plastic had partly fell down. Told them that we have taped it up multiple times but it continues to fall. Made no attempt to fix it. Asked about the air scrubber being turned off? No idea what he was talking about but we had lost power the night before so possible that it didn’t automatically come back on. Said they were looking for someone to take countertops off and planned on coming back Monday for that and to check moisture readings.

Dehumidifier was placed in crawlspace where mold is.

9/14

Came out for 2 hours and worked in crawlspace. No one came inside.

9/15

No one came. Called/text and complained about moisture readings being high and now seeing mold. Also asked for invoice. No response.

9/16

Manager came around 1:30. Showed him where the mold inside was and complained that nothing had been done to prevent that.

Someone else finally came hours later to unscrew countertops and base cabinets.

Guys disconnected sink and dishwasher. Left with valves pouring water into a bucket... didn’t bother to mention it. (We tried to replace valves but had trouble so we hooked dishwasher supply line back up to prevent further leaking.

*leak occurred in wall behind sink cabinet. Cabinets were built in place on subfloor. No type of venting was done on cabinet. No one had entered our house in 5 days at that point.

9/17

Manager came for 10 mins to cap the leaking valves... 24 hours later.

9/18

Guys came for 1.5 hours to remove remaining flooring that was under new cabinets. Said they were done and would return tomorrow for the fans

9/19

Came to get fans, gave me someone else’s paperwork which I read over and then told them that wasn’t us so they gave me a blank form to sign... and they would fill it out at office? Did NOT sign!

Ok so on 9/22 we called our adjuster and asked when he would come be coming out and asked if we could move the cabinets covered in mold to garage. He was confused and asked if we were sure it was mold. It definitely was! We sent pictures of mold on cabinets and on floor and the adjuster made the remediation company come back out. The manager of the remediation company called and said he was very disturbed by our images... even though he is the one I complained to about the mold!

So they come out 9/23 and removed SOME of the mold cabinets.

This is where things get crazy! I overheard the manager say something like “this puts the insurance and us in a bind” so I’m like what?? I didn’t hear everything but I knew 100% that there was NOTHING we have done to put anyone in a bind including ourselves. So I’m already annoyed and text my husband this. I mean these people were there 4 days after “finishing” the job bc they did not actually do the job? Well this man tells me that he is going to turn the water off to cap the valves. I’m like ok... he had already capped the valves so I didn’t really understand what he was doing but I am upstairs with my toddlers.

So I don’t go on and on... this man cut our valves off our copper pipes... all the way to the wall! Maybe this isn’t that big of a deal but what possible reason did he have for this? And he told me that once he turned the water back on that the toilet just went swooosh! What??? So he’s basically saying it occurred while they were here. They were taking cabinets apart and removing nails/staples that day... something I’m sure they already billed for! But as he’s telling me about the toilet... he’s saying that he’s going to call the adjuster and let him know and while he’s saying this... my husband text me to tell me that he has already called adjuster and complained that we had a toilet leak!!?? We had no leak and have pictures of floors the previous day of a dry floor!! He even goes as far to tell me that we don’t need to fix it.. he will be back in 2 days to fix it. (He of course didn’t come and we fixed it the same day) But the toilet that had NO LEAK now leaked in 2 places! How likely is that? It looked like it was leaking from tank near bolt and also leaking from the bottom! We got it fixed and called our agent and complained. He said that he was going to turn it into investigations but we haven’t heard anything from anyone.

I 100% believe this man purposely damaged our toilet to cause leak as an excuse/cover to why we had mold on the floors and cabinets. (We sent pics 3 days after the job was “completed” so it’s not even a possibility) also don’t understand the point of it bc he was already in trouble for not taking care of the mold so what was the point? The toilet leak went through the wall to kitchen so the floor was wet again.

One last thing... communication has sucked so far and we found out Tuesday that the adjuster was not coming out due to COVID and the manager of the water remediation company was actually suppose to take measurements and give details about the damages. The remediation company didn’t seem to know this either? The remediation company caused a lot of damages... some to be expected but they were really careless/negligent! I took pictures every single day from the beginning and they dinged up our new appliances! They actually put my 12 foot custom epoxy countertop laying across cabinets and dishwasher. No support and was unlevel. We did epoxy so it would be seamless. It’s in a shape similar to a lighting bolt. But now it is cracked. Manager actually moved cabinets back to wall and placed countertop back like we wouldn’t notice? I have pictures and sent to the adjuster of our floors being dry and no leak! Will he believe whatever this guy is trying to pull? I mean he was there bc they did not actually do the job they were sent for?

Also, how is it fair for him to be responsible for letting the adjuster know about our damages. He apparently didn’t know that either... when they came Wednesday, we pointed out the laminate that was damaged (from water) and he was surprised and said he would measure it. His team had to know about the damaged laminate bc they tore some when they pulled tape up! What about the damages they caused? We sent pictures of everything including how mold was allowed to grow and proof that there was no visible mold 10 days prior and have a text complaining about the mold and high moisture readings.

So can anyone give me advice of what to do next? How can I get someone else out here to look at damages. And how can I let this lying man back into my house... he 100% caused the leak! We have never signed anything and haven’t released the funds for this company to get paid yet. We have not been given an invoice. Can insurance pay them without our consent? This entire thing has been ridiculous. 3 weeks in and we have no info of what we do next and haven’t heard from our adjuster since this happened.

Comments (27)