SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Food Marie!! (Everybody Loves Raymond Reference)

l pinkmountain
3 years ago

Booberry's post on finding inspiration to cook inspired ME to post this vent. Tonight I was serving dinner to two grumpy old men, one was my husband and the other my father. Times are tough, I know. I served home made pita bread, home made sweet potato and sweet corn salad, home made pickled beets on a composed salad of lettuce, home made tabouleh and home made tahini dressing. Hubs grilled chicken and I sliced up some green peppers and onions for him to grill. Home grown tomatoes sliced for on the side. The only thing that got a comment was that the chicken was good fresh, better than leftovers. And "where's my drink?" "What kind of dressing is this?" and a few other grumbles. I felt like I was dining with Frank Barone from "Everybody Loves Raymond" comedy show. That's why my Mom gave up on cooking. I do it for myself, certainly not for all the compliments I get. Part of it is that my Dad is super picky and actually prefers junk food to home made, particularly with desserts but even prefers boxed scallop potatoes to my home made ones. Hubs is just a grump but I should cut him slack, the mass wave of public inconsiderate behavior (to put it mildly) is wearing on him. Not a meal full of flavors my guys like, but still, pft. I've been home more than ever and cooking more than ever but get little in the way of recognition. I don't need raves, just recognition that it is a time consuming contribution, that home made stuff takes time and effort. My dad even went so far as to say last week when I made a home made blueberry pie, "Why bother, your mother never did.' Yup, she gave up too. i could only eat so much pie and it ended up molding for the last two pieces. That's why although I love pie, I hardly ever make it, no one but me eats it and I can't eat a lot of it. I guess I should have frozen some. I kept thinking my husband would eat some of it. Well, I guess I am Deborah Barone, except my competition isn't eating at Marie's house, it's store bought convenience food. Kind of depressing . . . My current crew is not a group of foodies. My beloved late Mother was the foodie.

Comments (27)