Uses for English Double Cream?

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

I accidentally ordered a jar of English Double Cream from iGourmet a few months ago. (Fat fingered oopsie.) It's been sitting on top of the refrigerator ever since. I have no idea for what it is supposed to be used. Ideas, suggestions?

SaveComment9Like
Comments (9)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sooz

What a treat!!!

Put on scones, English muffins, & add jam maybe on the English muffins.

1 Like Save     Thanked by ediej1209 AL Zn 7
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

Double cream is not the same as clotted cream. It is just like a heavy cream but slightly richer and with a higher butterfat content - can be whipped, poured over fresh fruit or pie. Anything you would use heavy cream for, Would make for a very soggy scone.

Since it is a fresh dairy product, I wonder what exactly it is that can be left sitting on top of a refrigerator for several months...........:-)

Save    
Sooz

Thanks, gardengal... there's always dipping the scone in it, right?! That's how I'd do it...LOL!

From Chef Google: English Double Devon Cream created by Christopher Brookes is a genuine Devon Creamproduced in the southwest of England. This rich, buttery spread is perfect on scones, muffins, fresh fruit and as a gourmet ingredient in sauces and desserts. C. Brookes Manor Double Devon Cream is made with pure 100% pasteurized milk.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

Devon cream, Devonshire cream and clotted cream are very similar thick, almost whipped, stable/spreadable products. Double cream pours :-)

Chef Google often needs correcting.

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

I think the jar says only that it must be refrigerated after opening. I hope... Thanks all! I will have to take the plunge and open it and taste it. I truly had forgotten all about it until this morning when I went to put an empty egg carton up there & it wouldn't go. :-0

Save    
Islay Corbel

Double cream and clotted cream are not the same animal at all.

Clotted cream is double cream that is heated in a pan in the oven until it clots.

To use double cream, whip it, taking care not to over whip or you'll get butter.

You can use it on scones, or in a Victoria sponge....cut in half with a layer of strawberry jam and the whipped cream

Or unwhipped in sauces.

My only worry is that you've kept it on top of the fridge and not in it lol.

https://www.tamarvalleycottages.co.uk/blog/home-made-clotted-cream-recipe

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

If it is the English Devon with the blue band label it needs refrigeration.

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Well phooey. I guess better safe than sorry so I will pitch it :-(

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Just make sure it says so on the label. I have a favorite clotted cream that is shelf stable. Can't find it in the US.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Living Rooms Designer Adds Double-Duty Function to a Renovated Double Parlor
The front of this New York living area is ideal for entertaining, and the back for reading by a fire
Full Story
Green Building Houzz Tour: Efficiency Comes Into Play in the English Countryside
This light and airy family home in Hampshire was constructed using local materials and is packed with eco-friendly features
Full Story
Houzz Tours My Houzz: An 18th-Century Cottage on a Tiny English Island
Once a place for a miller to store his cart, this tiny building is now a cozy home, redesigned using reclaimed materials
Full Story
We strive daily to continually make ourselves better, because we realize that our name, image and performance is... Read More
With over 30 years of experience in general contracting, Tin Cup Enterprises is a family owned and operated... Read More