That Mediterranean time of year . . .

l pinkmountain

Late summer is my favorite cooking time of the year. It's the only time I can get fresh from the garden Mediterranean ingredients like tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, zuchinni, basil, grapes, etc. My favorite dishes are ratatouille, pasta with pesto, tsatsiki, eggplant and chickpea stew, and chopped salads. This year it would be nice if I could finally get around to trying my recipes for eggplant stuffed peppers and grape cake, but who knows. What are your late summer seasonal favorites?

SaveComment8Like
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seagrass_gw

We still have corn and wonderful tomatoes, lots of basil for pesto - cod, striped bass, scallops and swordfish so we're still eating summer here for as long as we can. I do love ratatouille and also caponata. Gazpacho is still on the menu. But I do have my eyes out for our butternut squashes...

1 Like Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

The simplest is the best. Roast some cherry tomatoes with EVOO and fresh herbs, toss with spaghetti & finely grated Peccorino/Romano. Tastebud nirvana. And freshly made apple cider from our local orchard.

1 Like Save    
l pinkmountain

I forgot cantaloupe filled with ice cream or frozen yogurt. I'm not suppose to eat cantaloupe but I can splurge once and a while if it is fresh from the farm . . . Another thing I have wanted to try is a watermelon and maybe mint or something or other salad, but I never have yet made a watermelon salad . . . I'd even settle for just plain watermelon, we have been so preoccupied with garden tomatoes we haven't looked for any good watermelon.

Edited to add for Edie that I was going to list that but I didn't know how to describe it as a "dish." Tastebud nirvana seems about right . . .

1 Like Save    
Gooster

My quick go-to pasta for busy evenings has been pesto di trapani with casarecce. I made some caponata the other week and it was so delicious. I was going to make ratatouille Sunday but instead I made some chili. Saturday I made some panzanella, which is a regular for me, as well as horatiki. Pasta alla norma is also a favorite, when I pick up some ricotta salata.

Save    
lindac92

All things tomato, squash and egg plant....not to mention peppers and basil.
Ratatoulli, zucchini glop ( ratatoulli without the eggplant) gazspacho, sliced tomatoes very lightly dressed, sliced cucumbers and onions and tomatoes.
and in a couple of weeks, cider and winter squashes and cinnamon.

Save    
chloebud

We're still making use of all the tomatoes. Lots of salsa this summer, fresh (no-cook) tomato sauce for pasta, tomato soup. Gooster mentioned panzanella that I make often. Just made a veggie tian with tomatoes, onions, potatoes and zucchini.

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Lunch! "Tastebud Nirvana!!" Yummm

I had been looking forward to it for a couple of days now but didn't want to hog up all the cherry tomatoes. DH picked a whole bunch more this morning, so -!! But I could only eat about half. It will reheat!

Save    
Gooster

tian is wonderful as well. Speaking of tomatoes, during the middle of the 100+ heat wave, DH got a msg that a relative's farm has excess tomatoes for the taking that the canner would not take, with a one day warning before they were disked under. Imagine bushels and bushels of tomatoes. I could not face that task (canning/freezing soup, pasta sauce, salsa, etc) on such short notice in those weather conditions!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
New Year's Resolution: Make More "Me" Time
Find a Way to Create a Mini Retreat at Home
Full Story
Holidays 9 Porch Decorating Ideas to Use From Thanksgiving to New Year’s
Long-lasting wreaths, potted plants and more can cheer up your entryway from fall through winter
Full Story
New Year's Eve DIY Silver Stars for a Glittering New Year’s Eve
Here’s a simple and spectacular decoration to delight your guests on winter holidays
Full Story
Our installers & technicians have decades of experience in residential & commercial spaces. We carefully deploy... Read More