What would you do about this possible identity theft issue?

sleeperblues

Not sure what is going on here, but I got a phone call from an unknown number so didn't answer it. Then the person texted me, asking if I was still interested in coming into this gym for a tour. I texted them back saying wrong person, and that I remembered this same person (called Rosalie) had used my number once before a couple of months before. I asked the caller what her last name was, and they surprisingly texted her last name back to me and apologized. I looked her up and found her on facebook. The area code is North Dakota, and this woman lives in North Dakota. Do you think this is something I should be worried about, and what should I do to follow up? Thanks!

SaveComment21Like
Comments (21)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur03

You do realize that one of the work from home jobs is to call people from a list about various businesses??? There is no need for that person to be local.

Save    
colleenoz

Or Rosalie has put her friend's number into her phone with a wrong digit, or simply misdialled by hand from memory.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I'm not sure this is "identify theft" or a situation that term is used for. It sounds like someone used a random number when they didn't want to give their own to a business and the random number happens to be your number.

So long as nothing unusual activity wise is happening with your financial accounts, I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to put an obstacle in place just in case, you put a freeze on your credit accounts at Experian, Equifax, etc.

Save    
Olychick

I would think it's more likely a transposition of numbers from her own number. You can probably find a number for her online and see if that might be true. It would rest your mind if you see it's similar.

1 Like Save    
sleeperblues

Her number is totally different than my number. It's just weird. She is not very active on facebook, and the other person I found with the same name is deceased. That's why I'm thinking something funky is going on.

Save    
nicole___

Having your phone number seems innocent enough. If you had numerous places doing credit checks on you or she had your social security number I'd worry.

Save    
olychick

Well, if you have her number, I might contact her and ask her what's up. It will at least put her on notice that you know who she is.

Save    
nickel_kg

What I would do: make a written note of each incident (two, so far) -- time, date, who called you from what number, expecting to talk to "Rosalie". Then if it becomes a problem, you'll have specific details to turn over to someone to investigate. I'd start with your phone company -- see what they have to say. But maybe it won't happen again. If it were a person deliberately using your number, you'd likely be getting alot more calls.

Save    
maifleur03

Looking someone up on fb unless they have an unusual name does not mean that you looked up the same person. I have what used to be an unusual first name, common maiden last name. Last time I looked I found 16 people with my maiden name. One even had the same middle initial.

Companies sell lists of peoples names and other data all of the time and/or hire people to contact people on those lists. It has nothing to do with identity theft since we are all on many lists that we gave permission by either clicking on a site or even starting any type of account. Some state they will not sell but if you look they can allow other companies that they are connected to to use the lists.

Save    
sleeperblues

Mai, there are only 2 of them that I can find in the states, and one is deceased. Plus she is in the town the call came from, so I know it's her. I did try to call her number but it was out of service. Thanks, Nickel, I'll do that. It's probably nothing to worry about, just a little suspect.

1 Like Save    
sephia_wa

I never answer phone calls or texts from numbers I don't know. If someone calls from a number I don't recognize, and doesn't leave a message, I just block their number.

Elmer mentioned credit freezes. I have a credit freeze in place. If anyone tries to get credit in my name, I'm alerted with a text and e-mail. I bought a new car last December and when the dealer ran my credit, I'd forgotten to lift the freeze. I was sitting there, and got a text that someone - the dealer - was trying to access my credit. I lifted the freeze, then told the dealer to try again. Once they were done, I put the freeze back in place. You can opt for a phone call, but I selected text/e-mail.

It's a comforting feeling knowing that if anyone tries to take out credit in my name, I'll be notified. I did this because I was part of a credit breach from a retailer.

Save    
amylou321

Speaking of theft, I happened to pull up my bank account a little while ago and saw someone had charged 46 dollars on my debit card at a Walmart in Washington. As I am in Alabama, not washington, I called my credit unions after hours number and immediately cancelled my card, and she informed me that they had attempted to charge 200 more dollars on it,but it was declined.

I hate theives. I hope horrible, inhumane things happen to whoever stole my card information.

As for the original topic, as someone who has has her identity stolen more than once for various purposes, not just financial, i wouldn't worry about that particular scenario. Just monitor your financial accounts to make sure no one is charging anything on them.

I have a freeze on all 5 credit reports (yes there are 5 not 3) am a member of lifelock, and monitor my bank and credit card accounts very closely. As I have mentioned, my identity has been stolen before and there is no way to fully secure it after that. People SUCK!

Save    
arcy_gw

If you truly do not want your interaction with people over social media,texting DO NOT RESPOND. People are paid to make cold calls and until you respond they have no idea if they discovered a real number--IDK if you inadvertently gave your number out. Same cure DO NOT RESPOND.

Save    
colleenoz

I was once trying to call my DH and three times, no matter how carefully I keyed in his number, I got the same random woman, whose number was nothing like what I was dialling. It was just a weird glitch.

Save    
sprtphntc7a

block the number on your phone.

Save    
nickel_kg

colleenoz, it's entirely possible that someone made a mistake in a physical switchboard arrangement and got two lines crossed. Well, it used to be possible -- I haven't dealt with phone services in 20 years and probably technology has modernized.

Save    
maddielee

If you really think it’s identify thief and not just a wrong number entered, do not contact the person who you think is using your number.

You don’t want them to also have your name.

Save    
jupidupi

You can get overzealous with being careful. My dear departed dad was very afraid of identity theft. He shredded every piece of mail because it had his name and address on it. We used to tease him about being afraid that someone would steal those charity solicitations and make a donation in his name. I also told him he should shred every telephone book he came across. He actually wore out full sized shredders and had to replace them every couple of years.

I was told that my grandfather had an "old country superstition" that you were supposed to burn a dead person's shoes. We decided to have my dad's shoes shredded.

1 Like Save    
olychick

Maddielee how would they get her name from her calling them? Names don’t show on my cell unless I have a contact for them already in my system.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I caution against creating a tempest in a teapot with too much imagination. Calmly take simple precautions and keep an eye on your accounts. It's likely not what some are suggesting.

Save    
maddielee

Maddielee how would they get her name from her calling them? Names don’t show on my cell unless I have a contact for them already in my system.

I often see names of people calling me who are not in my contacts list (cell and landline). Not always, but it happens. It must depend how the caller’s phone is set up.

She had also mentioned finding her on Facebook. If she messages her, she then would be giving info she might not want someone to have.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Materials Insulation Basics: What to Know About Spray Foam
Learn what exactly spray foam is, the pros and cons of using it and why you shouldn’t mess around with installation
Full Story
Lighting What to Know About Switching to LED Lightbulbs
If you’ve been thinking about changing over to LEDs but aren't sure how to do it and which to buy, this story is for you
Full Story
Budgeting Your Project Construction Contracts: What to Know About Estimates vs. Bids
Understanding how contractors bill for services can help you keep costs down and your project on track
Full Story
Kitchen, Bath and Interior remodeling company featuring the latest bath and kitchen designs and the largest... Read More
Locally owned & operated Closet America has become one of the most reviewed & the most awarded closet companies!... Read More